• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
I wouldn't even notice someone using "they"... what the fuck are you babbling about?

You are making up non-existent phenomenons to call people unauthentic nerds while then dropping words like "Basura." Konichiwa, you are a white nerd.

I wouldn't even notice someone using "they"... what the fuck are you babbling about?

You are making up non-existent phenomenons to call people unauthentic nerds while then dropping words like "Basura."

Nah this is a thing that has been happening. I live in NY which always does these things first, and I don't know where you live, but in the big cities it's def a thing. I know many people who do it now. If people don't identify as "male" or "female" their preferred pronoun is "they" instead of "he" or "she". It seems a little grammarically iffy to me but whatever. I have a lot of friends who now automatically call people "they" instead of a traditional binary pronoun just to be safe.

The isssue is, while there are certanily real people who have gender issues, it is also super hip to be gender neutral right now. Who is doing it because they actually are non-binary, and who is doing it because they want instagram followers and to be featured on Dazed or ID? That's the real question

Anyway I think we are getting off topic on our conversation of Logic being a little bitch.

Vorheez

If Kodak fades away from the mainstream, then so be it, it doesn't matter to me cause he's got a fan for life.

Look, I fuck heavy with people like Kodak because I'm the furthest thing from perfect. I've said and done shit that will haunt me until my deathbed, and I understand the pain of having to carry that shit around with you in your soul and feeling like you can never overcome it to become a better person; feeling like everyone is judging you for it and all you want is a second chance. Your life becomes more about just trying to redeem yourself instead of trying to make your life into something special, and you end up falling behind everyone else in the race of life. I been dealing with shit almost a decade man, in and out of therapy, all kinds of meds/drugs, spiraling into periods of self destruction, all in an effort to fight those dark thoughts, memories, and feelings. When I listen to tracks like Day For Day, Reminiscing, and Conscience on that Kodak album, I feel it in my soul man, it resonates deeply with me and i get emotional. I know Kodak is a dude that got some demons, some dark shit bouncing around in his head, and i know he's fighting the losing battle of trying to overcome that shit. I'll always relate to that struggle, and the pain involved in that struggle. Me and Kodak are in that together

I try to remember everyone as if they were a child, gleeful in their innocence and ignorance, and i remember that not a single one of those children set out with the goal of being a bad person. Nobody wants to grow up to be a piece of shit, vilified and ostracized by everyone, but some of us get swallowed up by life. I know nobody here is perfect either, and even though some of you may not have done or said the same things that me or Kodak have, just try to remember that it could have been you too. Life ain't the same journey for everyone, and if I see remorse from someone who has committed sins, I'm there to help support rather than judge

I've loved and lost a lot of sinners and "evil" people in my life who got swallowed up by that darkness. Like soldiers lost, I feel for them, even if they've done some horrible shit. I ain't about to judge a man for shit when I can be put on trial for my own personal shit. I just wanna live a life where I keep my head down, mind my own business, and try to be the best person I can be before it's all over.

HiiiLife

Coming up on the 7th anniversary whewwwww

1271263570_wiz_khalifa_kush_oj.jpg

7dbbf774ba5502fd304fcebd3b365ee9.300x162x1.png

That Chrono Trigger sample was everything

Summer that year was stupid
ASAP wish his mixtape was as flames

HiResDes

If Kodak fades away from the mainstream, then so be it, it doesn't matter to me cause he's got a fan for life.

Look, I fuck heavy with people like Kodak because I'm the furthest thing from perfect. I've said and done shit that will haunt me until my deathbed, and I understand the pain of having to carry that shit around with you in your soul and feeling like you can never overcome it to become a better person; feeling like everyone is judging you for it and all you want is a second chance. Your life becomes more about just trying to redeem yourself instead of trying to make your life into something special, and you end up falling behind everyone else in the race of life. I been dealing with shit almost a decade man, in and out of therapy, all kinds of meds/drugs, spiraling into periods of self destruction, all in an effort to fight those dark thoughts, memories, and feelings. When I listen to tracks like Day For Day, Reminiscing, and Conscience on that Kodak album, I feel it in my soul man, it resonates deeply with me and i get emotional. I know Kodak is a dude that got some demons, some dark shit bouncing around in his head, and i know he's fighting the losing battle of trying to overcome that shit. I'll always relate to that struggle, and the pain involved in that struggle. Me and Kodak are in that together

I try to remember everyone as if they were a child, gleeful in their innocence and ignorance, and i remember that not a single one of those children set out with the goal of being a bad person. Nobody wants to grow up to be a piece of shit, vilified and ostracized by everyone, but some of us get swallowed up by life. I know nobody here is perfect either, and even though some of you may not have done or said the same things that me or Kodak have, just try to remember that it could have been you too. Life ain't the same journey for everyone, and if I see remorse from someone who has committed sins, I'm there to help support rather than judge

I've loved and lost a lot of sinners and "evil" people in my life who got swallowed up by that darkness. Like soldiers lost, I feel for them, even if they've done some horrible shit. I ain't about to judge a man for shit when I can be put on trial for my own personal shit. I just wanna live a life where I keep my head down, mind my own business, and try to be the best person I can be before it's all over.

No idea how you read so much or got so much out of cash money ripoff/Lil Boosie wannabe. Reading this and then remembering the Future review I can't help but think you're reaching for depths that are completely nonexistent in these artist's music at least consciously. Not every abstract color blob is a Pollack not every picture with square faces is a Picasso. Kodak is about as deep as a Joe Rogan take on the Women's March.

Vorheez

No idea how you read so much or got so much out of cash money ripoff/Lil Boosie wannabe. Reading this and then remembering the Future review I can't help but think you're reaching for depths that are completely nonexistent in these artist's music at least consciously. Not every abstract color blob is a Pollack not every picture with square faces is a Picasso.
Yeah, you're right, but that's up to me to interpret the art/music how I want. If I feel that there is depth to some of Kodak's music, then that is my decision to make. I feel your dismissal of Kodak's music as nothing more than "Lil boosie wannabe" to be equally as absurd as your criticism of my interpretation. Perhaps you're not looking into it enough, Des? Who are you to determine what is "deep" and what isn't? If I identify with something in the music that I experience, how can you say that my identification with that music is founded upon a faulty interpretation/understanding of what I'm listening to? I've listened to plenty of your recommendations over these years that have had no lasting impact on me, but who cares, because it's not about me, is it? Your experience with your music is entirely unique to you based upon decades of life experience that I will never fully understand.

So, can we agree to disagree?

giphy.gif

Vorheez

I mean it's valid. If you "look" or imagine deep enough you can make a Family Guy flashback arc resonate with you.
I'm disagreeing with your simplification of Kodak. To dismiss his entire body of work as nothing more than surface level, "family guy" levels of depth is ignorant. Some of it is shallow, you're damn right, but all of it? Come on Des. I don't expect you to agree with me, but don't disrespect me neither. I know you're trying to discredit my choice in music because I said I liked something that you don't. I understand that you may be more of an "authority" figure on music because of your vast knowledge and endless collection of music, but being militant about it and declaring the depth at which something should be enjoyed or interpreted is just silly.

HiResDes

Not an authority, never was, but probably closer to a running joke nowadays. ..I'm not hating on enjoying it, just find your response to it to be a bit unusual, but do your thang man. I fuck with a bit of Kodak stuff but I can't help but feel like you're almost trying to paint Kodak as a victim like within his music is this grandiose key which vindicates the charges and the perception he now faces whereas all I hear is more of the same shallow narratives which make up the majority of modern southern Rap with maybe even less subversion and vision than usual. The struggle that Kodak describes seems synonymous with about ninety percent of his peers, which is fine, but I also don't find the way he navigates through it to be noteworthy whatsoever.

I don't see the depth in kodak's music, there isn't much to go off, he isn't really doing anything different than your basic ''im a street nigga with feelings songs and i've been through some shit ya feel me'' that's been done a billion other times.

it's fine to connect with his music or whatever but...idk, im with des on this one.

Vorheez

Yeah I dunno, I guess it's just one of those things. Maybe I'm identifying with the artist more than the music itself. That might be painting my perception of his music differently.

That's probably it

Edit: I guess it would be like if someone you went to school with (but never talked to) released an album, and you looked into it too much because there was that "connection" beyond the music that influenced your perception of it. Does that make sense? I'm trying to break this shit down now

Hitta93

Banned
Erase Your Social and Do What I Want are pretty good bangers.

That's about it, tho.
Uzi has better songs than those.

Coming up on the 7th anniversary whewwwww

1271263570_wiz_khalifa_kush_oj.jpg

That Chrono Trigger sample was everything

Summer that year was stupid
ASAP wish his mixtape was as flames
Instant classic. Mezmorized top track for me.

Metro vs. MikeWill

Who you got brehs
Metro easily. MikeWill has lasted at least, but his sound reminds me of DJ Mustard's a bit.

Vorheez

Metro is avocados, MikeWill is onions.

I don't wanna have to chose, but if I did it'd be avocados.

Metro easily. MikeWill has lasted at least, but his sound reminds me of DJ Mustard's a bit.

Yeah. I think I gotta go with Metro too, especially considering the streak he's been on

that makes it worse!
Uh oh! Well, we have never liked eachother anyways, so I'm not too concerned. Guess I'll just have to carry on knowing that glass rebel doesn't understand my love for Kodak 😢

Koozek

this is so weird

like the issue with logic isn't that he's a bad rapper, it's that he's a fucking bitch ass. he's a dweeb. he's like fuckin michael cera in superbad. which is fine and all, but jesus...

also this is not what killer mike needs to be doing right now. run the jewels is becoming too detatched from the actual rap game. it's great and all, but becoming de-legitamized. it's just too much, too oversaturated, too coopted by white nerds. like fuck i loved run the jewels 2, and pitchfork giving it the best album of the year was amazing. but at the same time it ruined them. i was hoping run the jewels 3 would scale it back a bit, go back to the dungeon family roots, but NOPE!. same thing as run the jewels 2, which mean it still banged and everything, but it just feels so commercialized at this point. it's really sad. and i like el-p and killer mike SO MUCH. but being on a logic album is too far. killer mike and el- p should be spitting on a pusha t track, or a freddie gibbs track. something with a little fucking authenticity. hell, why not fucking spit a fire verse on some underground shit? they used to be hella underground until just a few years ago. the issue is run the jewels has SO MUCH tallent, and they are waisting it by trying to fill the same demographic as fucking linkin park or some shit. just angsty teanager double presteige in COD white boy shit.

america has some dope features tho. can't say nothin bad about black thought or chuck d.
lRnWXpc.gif

Koozek

honestly i'd fight logic. i don't have beef with him tho i just think he's a bitch. fucking naming one of his songs the suicide hotline, like stfu dude naming a song that frat boys are gonna spike girls drinks with a suicide hotline isn't gonna make u any deeper or more profound. this the kind of guy that makes liberals look bad, and i voted bernie AND hillary. logic the kind of dude to call people "they" all the time because he doesn't want to presume any pronouns.
Ehhh, if I'm talking about someone on GAF and I don't know their gender I'm gonna say "they". Just because you could see it as "trendy" doesn't mean it's always insincere. And regarding the grammatical aspect: "you" wasn't always singular either. It was third-person plural and later replaced the second-person singular "thou" for several historical reasons.

HiResDes

My stupid speculation: Kendrick being a huge fan of Martin decided to entitle the album Damn as a response to how America seems to be changing, as it references the "Damn Gina" catchphrase in the aforementioned show. In TPAB he established this brilliant metaphor for America's treatment of black people as this tumultuous domestic dispute, and so with this album maybe he finds himself even more at odds on the brink of a breakup and he's completely over trying to woo her back.

Hitta93

Banned
Given it's the intro track, is Kendrick a blood, affiliated, Jay Rock's little homie?

Don't think he's addressed it in his music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom