• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF I only eat pizza now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuvoc

I run and manage a traditional New York style pizza shop on the Gulf coast of Florida. For you pizza freaks out there, here are a few pie toppings I've experimented with, for you guys to try.

Obviously the margherita pizza is great by itself. When I make it I use fresh mozzarella made next door at a little Italian deli. Its not salty enough for my so I add a mix of shredded full skim and part skim mozzarella (our pizza cheese) to salty it up a bit. A little tip if you don't like your fresh basil with a little char on it from cooking is to dip the leaves in a bit of olive oil

Pineapple and Feta. One of my vegetarian servers showed me this one. Its an amazing combination of salty and sweet.

BBQ Chicken Pizza. You're gonna want to grill your chicken on a flame grill (charcoal preferred). You can baste the chicken in sauce while you grill it. I don't think its necessary. I just season with salt and pepper and periodically spray the chicken with a diluted cider vinegar to keep it from drying out while its grilling. Id suggest buying a quality bbq sauce unless you choose to make your own. From there chop up your cooked chicken and toss it in the sauce. Then top the pizza with the chicken, chopped spring onion, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and chopped cilantro. I don't do anything different for the pizza base itself. I still use my traditional red sauce, a sprinkle of romano, and mozzarella. The tomato base will balance well with the bbq sauce.

Pesto, sun-dried tomato and feta. For a base i'd suggest a garlic butter sauce. Then top with chopped sun-dried tomato and feta. Drizzle the pesto over it before baking. Don't overdo the toppings since they're all very powerful. This pizza works best as an hor d'oeuvre, especially if you use a very thin dough base.

The last one i don't have a name for. Like the pesto pizza this one also makes for a great hor d'oeuvre since it is very light. I basically spin my crust to be very thin so the crust becomes crispy. Then chop broccoli, tomato, and onion finely. Mix up some olive oil, juice of half a lemon, diced fresh garlic and basil. If you have the time, allow this dressing to sit a few hours. It really helps the flavors to blend together). Drizzle the oil mixture over the veggies( just enough to coat). Then get your hands dirty and mix it all together. Then spread the mixture evenly, all over the dough. For a final touch sprinkle some lemon zest over it.

I never really use an exact recipe to make these pies. But if you want clarification on a certain amount of an ingredient don't hesitate to ask. I've also made most of these pies in the oven at our shop as well as on the grill. The last three were a hit when I made them recently at a political fundraiser.

dvdjamm

tumblr_m81ujrpvb71r30qclo1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom