• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should start learning Blueprints right away, as you build the actual game with them. It's really not that difficult. I mean, you've already started using them in that level creation tutorial (the doorway), right?

After you've learned the basics of level building and blueprints, the next step could be learning the whole GameMode/GameState/PlayerController/Pawn etc. stuff and how they connect (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/GettingStarted/Terminology/index.html). With that knowledge you can start building the core of your game.
Yep! I messed with them for that tutorial for building my door that opens. And when I was playing with them during that part, that's when I felt like "Wow. This is pretty cool stuff."

I really do appreciate all the help. I'm going to go make myself some hot chocolate, hunker down, and start some reading. You've all been awesome.

doop_

Banned
Someone told me I needed to show more combat footage, but individual character animations don't show up well, so...

itZeovo.gif

"Wild Growth", I guess. I'm really bad at spell effects, but I at least understand the motion of vines as opposed to something like an explosion. No idea what to do with the motion blur with those thorns in there though. Might end up throwing 4-5 of these in at once and praying that no one sees the forest through the trees. Or the trees through the forest, which I guess is a better description of what I'm banking on.

edit

ArhDKfc.gif

Getting there, but probably too cartoony. Something to work on tomorrow
Damn that looks good. What is your game about ?

Fou-Lu

I'm in the same boat with you in terms of RPG Maker being my only experience. The first thing my friend and I did was sat down and researched every game engine to figure out which would work best for us. I imagine that will be your step 1. The OP on this thread looks great in terms of listing out what all is available. When I narrowed my options down, I googled a lot of various opinion articles on game engines to try and come to a good conclusion for myself. In the end, Unreal Engine 4 won. But depending on the game you want to make it can be completely different.

I feel like even if I choose an engine it's still such a daunting task as to where to start with that engine. And the engine doesn't cover things like art and music either.

Kalentan

Well, drew my first prototype character model for my visual novel-like cutscenes:

Which is actually a redesign of this character: http://i.picpar.com/hjGb.png

I see areas of improvement (like her right leg and her left shoulder.) But I was hoping I could get someone who also draws their characters like this some tips for how to do this in Photoshop. Cause I still feel like the character is still too pixelated.

This is the sort of scene I want to pull off (hopefully with a better BG eventually.)

http://i.picpar.com/QEGb.png

The other character was drawn too small and thus had to be blown up. Therefore even more pixelated and lower quality.

#ScreenshotSunday =P

A work-in-progress screenshot from one of the later levels in GunWorld 2, Deadmoon Belfry. Rockin' the bare-chest and Hooligan Hat.

CaFoA1gUEAAPHj5.jpg:large

Jobbs

Banned
^ nice work :)

I said I was going to start working at 4pm today and I've still done nothing. :(

I have so much shit to do!!

Burt

Damn that looks good. What is your game about ?

Ha thanks! Updated:

4fIHOyu.gif

The game itself is pretty heavily Yasumi Matsuno-influenced, so it's about all that usual war, politics, deceit jazz. I'd say that if there's a distinguishing factor beyond the its general structure (which is just a pretty clear mashup of Ogre Battle-style real-time tactics and standard JRPG gameplay), it's that I'm working hard to avoid having a central protagonist. I'm sure things'll end up tilted towards a few characters more than others, but regardless it'll still end up more spread out among multiple people like in FFVI than the way you typically see the story wound in this sort of game.

Alright, though it is technically SUNDAY now, here is a gif.

LasdQsN.gif

This made me laugh -- in a good way obviously. Look great.

Anyone have any sound effect tips/resources? Definitely not my strong suit.

I feel like even if I choose an engine it's still such a daunting task as to where to start with that engine. And the engine doesn't cover things like art and music either.
It's definitely daunting if you think of it all at once. One of the reasons I'm learning with a friend is that we think we can keep each other motivated. Makes it seem less daunting. But you (and myself) also have GAF here to keep us going. For the art and music side of things---music seems like the easiest thing to shop out to someone else. Art I'm not so certain of...I think right now I'm going to try and get some real skill in Unreal Engine...some kind of start....then I'll branch out to work on some other skills like sprite modeling, perhaps? One thing I know for certain though---you need to focus on one thing at a time.

Pehesse

Well, drew my first prototype character model for my visual novel-like cutscenes:

Which is actually a redesign of this character: http://i.picpar.com/hjGb.png

I see areas of improvement (like her right leg and her left shoulder.) But I was hoping I could get someone who also draws their characters like this some tips for how to do this in Photoshop. Cause I still feel like the character is still too pixelated.

This is the sort of scene I want to pull off (hopefully with a better BG eventually.)

http://i.picpar.com/QEGb.png

The other character was drawn too small and thus had to be blown up. Therefore even more pixelated and lower quality.

Been a while since I've come in with one of these, hope you'll bear with the wall o'text incoming!

(click to enlarge to see the difference in the top examples)

First, about the line issue: I feel this could be because of two reasons, but you'll have to tell me more about your drawing process and tools to pinpoint exactly what causes it.

First theory would be a scanning issue: you're drawing on paper and scanning that drawing, then coloring it digitally. The issue then is probably a combination of the scanning resolution, and the scanning mode itself. Watch you don't use black and white or grayscale modes during scanning, as that would "flatten" the pixels.
Also, if you're scanning/coloring, I would recommend re-lining the drawing digitally, using your scan as a base to redraw over.

Something you might want to consider since you mention blowing up images is to draw/scan in higher resolution than you aim for (for instance, if you're going for a 1000x1000 72dpi drawing, consider using at least a 2000x2000 canvas or something) and reduce the finished image when it's done. Some might disagree with the practice as it smudges some outlines and effects a bit, I rather like it myself, so your mileage may vary. FYI, I use 3000x3000 300dpi canvas reduced to a 600x600 72dpi canvas for Honey's character sprites.

Second is that you're drawing using the pencil tool on photoshop. Simple solution for that: don't. Use the brush tools. I've laid out a quick render comparison on the top with pencil to the left, basic round brush in the middle and a custom brushset made by Frenden which I've recommended before in the thread on the right. There are far too many issues with the pencil too to bother listing them, so just try using any other photoshop tool first and see if it gives you different results in regards to the outline.

The other thing, then, is the proportion and pose issues. Again, I've laid out a few ideas on the bottom, though bear in mind proportions is linked to stylistic representation, so my own ideas on the subject might not necessarily align with yours/others.

With that said, I still believe there are some issues that would benefit the pose and dynamism were you to alter them, namely the character's right shoulder's size (too wide) and the belly size (too short - the crotch is currently at almost the level I'd place the navel). The hands are also very small: a natural human proportion would have an open palm covering the entire face. The left leg has a very different width from the right (I actually don't have a problem with the right leg, I'd fix the left one instead).

As for the pose itself, consider what it's meant to convey about the character: is she timid, resolute, alluring, etc? Right now the shoulders are kinda level and the bust is straight, so the pose reflects a sort of self-assuredness, but it's also fairly rigid, with the grip on the staff looking uncomfortable. I did a quick different take on the character on the right, just to showcase what a few changes could convey (different shoulder height, hips back, etc).

That's about it for now, I'd need more info about your drawing process to give out a more detailed answer about the pixel issue! Hope any of this can help!

GulAtiCa

Ok I played a couple of levels....

The Underwater Fortress
Bookmark me!
AC8F-0000-0119-2A30_full.jpg

I really liked your level. Simple and fun I would say. I like the duality between being in some underwater level cut with auto-scroll fortress parts. Good idea and you got a good sense of rythm there in your level design. Nothing felt it was placed "at the wrong place". If you're not a level designer of some kind, you seems to have the notch for it at least. Personal favorite moment, the underwater twomp opening the path for me with homing bullet bill on my ass!
Good level anyways. Would have wished to find secrets though. I like secrets. :p

Capt. Bobomb's Fire 'n Ice Fleet
Bookmark Me!
6850-0000-0188-9B5C_full.jpg

Ok this level was tuff. Almost hard to the point I wouldn't have the attention to finish it. Thank God for those checkpoints by the way. I think you made a good use of carts although I died a couple of times because a bo-bomb died from other mobs (like those spiny spikes) without actually blowing my way up. I love "captain bo-bomb" and it felt sort a boss-like section. For him to fall on a cart at the end was awesome too. All in all, you level is having alot of personality. Maybe too hard though.

Downside - Those clouds you can cross and it brings you back BEFORE the checkpoint. There was no point, only frustration in my point of view. The only thing you do is kill yourself since you can pop back at the checkpoint faster this way (but not fun)

Didn't know Miyamoto had a GAF account! :p

Blizzard

Banned
Definitely making a game. I don't even have a game in mind at the moment...I just know I've always loved games and wanted to be involved somehow. I think I'm ass-backwards because I'm thinking "I'll learn what I can, then from there determine what game I could make." I really want this to be a long term goal though. I'm fine with learning and practicing for years to get where I need to be---though I'm sure many will say you never stop learning. I just want to get in there and get my feet wet.
This is an understandable feeling, but with respect I do think it is a little backwards. The problem is that what you CAN do, theoretically, is almost limitless. Depending on how much time and effort you want to spend, there are all sorts of games of various genres and scopes you could make.

I personally feel that picking something with very small scope to begin with is a good idea. For people learning 2D, breakout or tetris may be common suggestions. For 3D, who knows? Maybe a simple shooter level, or a 3rd-person platformer, or a puzzle game.

Picking a very small idea gives a few advantages: One, you will have a chance of finishing something in the near future. No one says you have to stop at one game, so you can immediately move on to something bigger. Two, you will learn HOW MUCH can be involved with even a small scope, and that's an important thing to remember as you move onto bigger ideas.

In the end, it's your path to choose, but these are my suggestions. :)

correojon

This is an understandable feeling, but with respect I do think it is a little backwards. The problem is that what you CAN do, theoretically, is almost limitless. Depending on how much time and effort you want to spend, there are all sorts of games of various genres and scopes you could make.

I personally feel that picking something with very small scope to begin with is a good idea. For people learning 2D, breakout or tetris may be common suggestions. For 3D, who knows? Maybe a simple shooter level, or a 3rd-person platformer, or a puzzle game.

Picking a very small idea gives a few advantages: One, you will have a chance of finishing something in the near future. No one says you have to stop at one game, so you can immediately move on to something bigger. Two, you will learn HOW MUCH can be involved with even a small scope, and that's an important thing to remember as you move onto bigger ideas.

In the end, it's your path to choose, but these are my suggestions. :)

I remember my first game attempt was a 2D side shooter, I think it was a good choice because the physics are the simplest they can be (simple player inputs, no gravity or friction, simple collisions, no animations...). It´s a good starting point to learn the basics about games (the game loop, events, instances and object distintction...) and it´s easy to grow from it by adding more complicated bullet movement and patterns, powerUps, enemy AI, particle effects...I´d recommend it more for someone without programming experience than a puzzle game as puzzles usually require you to program more advanced routines to check for lines or combos. Just take this project as something to learn while you develop an idea for your first "real" game.

When making this real game however, you should have a clear idea of what you want and be in love with it. You´ll be facing a lot of problems and tricky situations during development, so being commited to the game is really important so you don´t scrap it and start something new (indie gamedev sin #1).

Nosgoroth

Okay. Deep breath.

I made this post a few weeks ago, when I revealed my game (Majotori) and my Greenlight campaign. You might remember that. Or this picture I used:

It didn't go too well, unfortunately. The Greenlight campaign is stuck at some unknown point and is going nowhere fast. So, what the heck, we're releasing without Steam, and with a "pay what you want" model (from $0) via Itch.io. If you were/are at all curious, go ahead and download it, I'd love to hear impressions. Any suggestions about things I should be doing right now are most welcome.

The game is a mix of narrative short stories mixed with trivia questions that determine which branching path you take. It was originally written in Spanish, and translating/proofreading all the narration and questions was tough. Respect to pro localisation teams everywhere.

---

I'm in GMT+1 and I need to go out now, so apologies if I disappear for half a day.

Once release and post-release support (*tremble*) are done, next is continuing with our other game. The big one, called Twindergarten. I just hope I actually learned anything about how not to launch a game with this one.

Kalentan

Been a while since I've come in with one of these, hope you'll bear with the wall o'text incoming!

(click to enlarge to see the difference in the top examples)

First, about the line issue: I feel this could be because of two reasons, but you'll have to tell me more about your drawing process and tools to pinpoint exactly what causes it.

First theory would be a scanning issue: you're drawing on paper and scanning that drawing, then coloring it digitally. The issue then is probably a combination of the scanning resolution, and the scanning mode itself. Watch you don't use black and white or grayscale modes during scanning, as that would "flatten" the pixels.
Also, if you're scanning/coloring, I would recommend re-lining the drawing digitally, using your scan as a base to redraw over.

Something you might want to consider since you mention blowing up images is to draw/scan in higher resolution than you aim for (for instance, if you're going for a 1000x1000 72dpi drawing, consider using at least a 2000x2000 canvas or something) and reduce the finished image when it's done. Some might disagree with the practice as it smudges some outlines and effects a bit, I rather like it myself, so your mileage may vary. FYI, I use 3000x3000 300dpi canvas reduced to a 600x600 72dpi canvas for Honey's character sprites.

Second is that you're drawing using the pencil tool on photoshop. Simple solution for that: don't. Use the brush tools. I've laid out a quick render comparison on the top with pencil to the left, basic round brush in the middle and a custom brushset made by Frenden which I've recommended before in the thread on the right. There are far too many issues with the pencil too to bother listing them, so just try using any other photoshop tool first and see if it gives you different results in regards to the outline.

The other thing, then, is the proportion and pose issues. Again, I've laid out a few ideas on the bottom, though bear in mind proportions is linked to stylistic representation, so my own ideas on the subject might not necessarily align with yours/others.

With that said, I still believe there are some issues that would benefit the pose and dynamism were you to alter them, namely the character's right shoulder's size (too wide) and the belly size (too short - the crotch is currently at almost the level I'd place the navel). The hands are also very small: a natural human proportion would have an open palm covering the entire face. The left leg has a very different width from the right (I actually don't have a problem with the right leg, I'd fix the left one instead).

As for the pose itself, consider what it's meant to convey about the character: is she timid, resolute, alluring, etc? Right now the shoulders are kinda level and the bust is straight, so the pose reflects a sort of self-assuredness, but it's also fairly rigid, with the grip on the staff looking uncomfortable. I did a quick different take on the character on the right, just to showcase what a few changes could convey (different shoulder height, hips back, etc).

That's about it for now, I'd need more info about your drawing process to give out a more detailed answer about the pixel issue! Hope any of this can help!

First off, thank you for replying. You already answered my two first questions (about the brush and canvas size.)

I drew her at the size 300 x 552 at 300 DPI in Photoshop, as that is roughly the size that fits in the game's window. (As you can see in the screenshot.) However yeah, I think that small size is what is causing it to be very pixelated because of the small scale. I didn't scan the character in, fully drawn in Photoshop. I've been using a pen and pencil since for some reason I just couldn't find a Brush that wasn't in some way... altered. I think I have too many brushes! So I shall fix that when I get home with downloading that specific brush set you mentioned.

As for the pose issues and body size... Honestly I think that is just me not doing body scaling correctly yet. I've been drawing for years, and yet I still have never been great at making consistent proportions. In my drawing of the character, after drawing the staff, I realized I had her arm in a weird position so I tried to have her other hand still around the staff (unlike yours which just has the hand laying on the staff.)

I think honestly, most of my problems stem from the head. It's far larger than it should be and I think that sort of breaks the other proportions. Since then I also make the hands far too small. (I'm pretty sure her original hands could barely cover half her face.) It's something I need to get better at. I feel like this could be aided by drawing a sort of stick figure in the pose before drawing, but I always feel like it screws me up. Somehow. I also wonder if maybe I should draw the body first (minus arms), and then draw the arms. I suppose that also might fix some issues...

Does that help?

Pehesse

First off, thank you for replying. You already answered my two first questions (about the brush and canvas size.)

I drew her at the size 300 x 552 at 300 DPI in Photoshop, as that is roughly the size that fits in the game's window. (As you can see in the screenshot.) However yeah, I think that small size is what is causing it to be very pixelated because of the small scale. I didn't scan the character in, fully drawn in Photoshop. I've been using a pen and pencil since for some reason I just couldn't find a Brush that wasn't in some way... altered. I think I have too many brushes! So I shall fix that when I get home with downloading that specific brush set you mentioned.

As for the pose issues and body size... Honestly I think that is just me not doing body scaling correctly yet. I've been drawing for years, and yet I still have never been great at making consistent proportions. In my drawing of the character, after drawing the staff, I realized I had her arm in a weird position so I tried to have her other hand still around the staff (unlike yours which just has the hand laying on the staff.)

I think honestly, most of my problems stem from the head. It's far larger than it should be and I think that sort of breaks the other proportions. Since then I also make the hands far too small. (I'm pretty sure her original hands could barely cover half her face.) It's something I need to get better at. I feel like this could be aided by drawing a sort of stick figure in the pose before drawing, but I always feel like it screws me up. Somehow. I also wonder if maybe I should draw the body first (minus arms), and then draw the arms. I suppose that also might fix some issues...

Does that help?

Yeah, I would definitely use at least double to triple the canvas size :-D

Frenden's brushes here: http://frenden.com/post/39394983582/custom-photoshop-inking-and-pencilling-brushes (I'm hesitant to hammer the link as I don't really want to look like shilling, but it's really the best brushset I've ever found... and I've tried quite a few :v)

As for the rest, I feel it's mostly about overall drawing practice! Use whatever methodology works best for you. Stick figures could help to establish the overall structure of a pose (even though I'd argue the value of "curved" figures, rather than "stick", as it really helps to consider a pose in terms of curves rather than straight lines to get in some dynamism easily). You could also try shaping in the overall, well... shape of what you're trying to draw using circles/rounded lines, slowly filling out the overall figure, and finally going over and lining what you've shaped when you're satisfied using another layer. I couldn't really recommend a specific method over another, it really depends on what you find works best for you.

(Though really, my overall drawing advice/thoughts: don't sweat the methodology, as it's not what will help you in the long run. Find any setup that works for you, and don't hesitate to change things up once in a while - what will really help you more are confident to second nature anatomical knowledge and studies, and most of all, constant practice!)

And as far as the head being too big: maybe? I mean, for me, yeah, but depending on the stylization you're going for, not really. It all depends on how far you push your specific aesthetic. Some of Lilith's characters also have bigger heads and smaller hands, but it's so deliberate and the proportions work so well together, it's a style that just works and gives off a fantastical vibe of its own. I guess it boils down to what you intend to show? If your characters are meant to be grounded/realistic, then yeah, maybe work on the proportions, otherwise...

Kalentan

Yeah, I would definitely use at least double to triple the canvas size :-D

Frenden's brushes here: http://frenden.com/post/39394983582/custom-photoshop-inking-and-pencilling-brushes (I'm hesitant to hammer the link as I don't really want to look like shilling, but it's really the best brushset I've ever found... and I've tried quite a few :v)

As for the rest, I feel it's mostly about overall drawing practice! Use whatever methodology works best for you. Stick figures could help to establish the overall structure of a pose (even though I'd argue the value of "curved" figures, rather than "stick", as it really helps to consider a pose in terms of curves rather than straight lines to get in some dynamism easily). You could also try shaping in the overall, well... shape of what you're trying to draw using circles/rounded lines, slowly filling out the overall figure, and finally going over and lining what you've shaped when you're satisfied using another layer. I couldn't really recommend a specific method over another, it really depends on what you find works best for you.

(Though really, my overall drawing advice/thoughts: don't sweat the methodology, as it's not what will help you in the long run. Find any setup that works for you, and don't hesitate to change things up once in a while - what will really help you more are confident to second nature anatomical knowledge and studies, and most of all, constant practice!)

And as far as the head being too big: maybe? I mean, for me, yeah, but depending on the stylization you're going for, not really. It all depends on how far you push your specific aesthetic. Some of Lilith's characters also have bigger heads and smaller hands, but it's so deliberate and the proportions work so well together, it's a style that just works and gives off a fantastical vibe of its own. I guess it boils down to what you intend to show? If your characters are meant to be grounded/realistic, then yeah, maybe work on the proportions, otherwise...

Honestly I think this highlights the problem the best:

Original -> Digital -> Most Recent (as in like... a few min before post.)

There is just no consistency. Sure you can tell it's the same character (and minus some details changing between them), it just... the actual body shape seems to be every changing. One has a smaller head and neck, another has a small head but a larger neck, and another has a larger neck and head... :(

Not to mention I suck at poses. All my characters are very stiff and unfluid.

Pehesse

Not to mention I suck at poses. All my characters are very stiff and unfluid.

That's easy to fix then: more practice, more practice, more practice :-D

Do you draw from reference? If so (and even if not) I highly recommend drawing from real life instead, both for anatomy and environment studies. Do those for at least a couple hours each day, and you should see very fast improvement (I'd say a couple of months, but YMMV). Once you've got confidence and solid basics, you can move to working from photography reference, if you feel the need to, or if you have developed enough of a mental portfolio of images, work from imagination.
This may sound self-evident, so forgive me if you already do/know this, but this really can't be said enough when drawing comes up. It's not so much that there are solutions or ready made methods or tools that will instantly make you better, it's that you need to train yourself, your hand, your eyes and your brain to draw, just like you would any other skill, craft or work.

Good luck, and good practice :-D

PirateHearts

Neo Member
7N7PyJs.png

I wrapped up that one-level vertical slice milestone of Gunmetal Arcadia Zero I was working on a week or two ago right before leaving for PAX South, and I'd love to get some feedback on it if any of y'all have a few minutes to spare!

Download links for Windows, Mac, and Linux are here, along with more detailed notes on specific features of this build.

A gamepad is recommended but not required. Default controls for the Xbox 360 are:
  • Left stick / d-pad: Walk, aim up/down
  • A: Jump
  • B: Throw bomb
  • X: Primary melee weapon
  • Y: Secondary thrown weapon

This build contains a single level with a number of enemies, an end boss, shopkeepers, etc. There are a few known bugs and plenty of rough edges, but I'm looking for any and all feedback. Thanks!

snarge

I wrapped up that one-level vertical slice milestone of Gunmetal Arcadia Zero I was working on a week or two ago right before leaving for PAX South, and I'd love to get some feedback on it if any of y'all have a few minutes to spare!

Download links for Windows, Mac, and Linux are here, along with more detailed notes on specific features of this build.

A gamepad is recommended but not required. Default controls for the Xbox 360 are:

This build contains a single level with a number of enemies, an end boss, shopkeepers, etc. There are a few known bugs and plenty of rough edges, but I'm looking for any and all feedback. Thanks!

I just played it for a few minutes (at work) and have to say that it is a delight! You're nailing look and feel of a retro game perfectly.
I loved:
  • The general movement, jumping, and jump animation. There's a good weight to it, not too high and certainly not too floaty.
  • Attacking and even getting hit. I like that attacking an enemy pauses it, and they flash when damaged.
  • The bombs and the secret-ish areas revealed by them. There's a lot of room for fun and interesting level design via these destructible blocks.
  • The level design is already damn good. Showing treasure chests that are unreachable from one room, informing me to go back and find them is a classic and welcome level design trick. Seems like there are secret / alternate routes in abundance as well.
  • I loved those platforms / elevators that you control...just the fact that the player controls them is so cool
  • Intuitive design, everywhere. Maybe it's just playing games from that era, but I just knew that the bombs blew up THAT type of block, and that attacking torches would yield items.

Not much in the way of negatives, tbh.
  • Music got repetitive, but it's probably too early to critique that.
  • I wasn't sure what the different items I was picking up did, aside from the heart.
  • I wasn't sure which blocks were bomb-only and which were destructible by my sword.
But that's it really.
Going to complete the playthrough when I get home, but great job!

That was quite cool, and feels very polished already. I didn't notice any bugs, personally.

I assume this is already subject to change, but it could use a bit more enemy variety. Especially for a mid-game level, there should maybe be some more aggressive enemy types, I think. I killed most things in one hit with the long sword, and the non-boss enemy with the most health ("parity" I think?) was a bit of a pushover, since it just kept coming towards me, then getting knocked back, until it died.
The "medusa heads" still manage to be annoying though, like in any game. :p

Maybe you should have the current sub-weapon drop to the ground when you pick up a new one, like in Symphony of the Night, so that players can switch back if they picked up a sub-weapon by mistake.

Thank you for letting me switch off the CRT simulation. Not a fan, personally, though I'm sure some people like that sort of thing.

Anyway, overall it looks very promising. Good work! I look forward to it, as a fan of the games that inspired it.

Lautaro

Ok, I uploaded a new patch for Nomad Fleet, I'm getting close to version 1.0, hopefully the game leaving Early Access can improve the sales because so far it has been a complete failure.

I'm still in the game though, I'm trying to decide which one of all my ideas should I try to make now... I have a lot (and most of them pretty ambitious) but I think I'll start with a fantasy "roguelite" because I have all the tools, assets and knowledge needed.

hopefully the game leaving Early Access can improve the sales because so far it has been a complete failure.

If you don't mind talking about it, I am curious to know what your expectations where prior to EA release. What do you think are the reasons for it being a failure (so far)? Do you think putting a game on EA is a good idea?

IndieGAF! Hello! So I just started learning Unity, I've toyed with game Dev for years, but never could quiet grasp the whole thing, mostly just did art...

Wow! I friggin' LOVE Unity. I Love scripting with c#, I have to ask (blueprints just frustrated me for some reason and I could t wrap my head around UE like I can with Unity and its component system) is scripting/coding in UE at all similar to Unity? Are the results as quick, is there more layers to it?

Lautaro

If you don't mind talking about it, I am curious to know what your expectations where prior to EA release. What do you think are the reasons for it being a failure (so far)? Do you think putting a game on EA is a good idea?

I don't know what I expected as a first time dev but I certainly didn't expect so little sales: in 6 months of EA I sold around 1400 copies (so far) and I have around 7000 wishlists and a bit more than 4000 followers of the game.

I think it was a failure because it was too niche and too little interesting at first glance, while I tried to differentiate myself by making a space strategy game that uses the 3 dimensions and random encounters, every mildly important youtuber or magazine that I sent a key didn't care, only small youtubers and blogs made videos/articles about the game. I tried my best to market the game but at the end, the gaming media seems to be saturated so they'll go with the "head-turners" indies and known franchises.

I'm pretty sure the game is not bad though, most of the reviews are positive and I have only 5% of refunds.

Being an EA game didn't help either, when you launch in EA you lose a lot of visibility that regular games have and those first days are crucial to the success of the game.

Now, I went with Early Access because I needed it, the game was not finished and I was going to start a new job because my mom needed a surgery. If you don't need EA, then don't go with EA, its not worth the loss of visibility, also it leads to a bit of feature creep IMO.

Ha thanks! Updated:

4fIHOyu.gif

Looks pretty good. It's only missing one, subtle, little tweak:
UHqMxW6.gif

Animation should never stop suddenly. Even if it's only for a single hold, the motion should continue somewhat. The tweak on this is on frame 17. The vine is slightly squashed for one hold before the shape goes back to normal. It's only a very subtle change, but it feels better.

Burt

Looks pretty good. It's only missing one, subtle, little tweak:
UHqMxW6.gif

Animation should never stop suddenly. Even if it's only for a single hold, the motion should continue somewhat. The tweak on this is on frame 17. The vine is slightly squashed for one hold before the shape goes back to normal. It's only a very subtle change, but it feels better.

Ah awesome, thanks! I had actually been messing around with that frame/slam, but I had been dropping the entire vine a pixel and it just didn't look right, was a bit too jerky. Didn't even think to squash it, looks much better.

Our webmaster and I have been working on the game page. Thoughts?

I know the title needs work, I'm thinking of doing a new version specifically for the page.

Status update:
Gotta wait for my partner to get me the edited trailer plus some VO that we stupidly forgot to give one of our actors properly, but then we are ready to submit final copy. We should have done this in December, but there was a huge bug that required up to rewrite a major portion of the game, and by then, he had to catch his plane back home.

correojon

Alright, though it is technically SUNDAY now, here is a gif.

LasdQsN.gif
That´s very fluid, it send chills down my spine as I remember the many times I stupidly died like that in Flashback (awesome game!). Looks great ;)

7N7PyJs.png

Just quoting so I remember to try this when I´m home.

Raonak

Banned
Finding time to make games with a fulltime job is hard work. Been working on a new build of nax for the last couple months...

Finally got some good progress on making my 4th "weapon" on Nax of the Universe.
I'm a HUGE One Piece fan, and I found Luffy's attack style to be extremely unique and interesting, so modeled a moveset after him.

In addition, made a completely new menu system what now works with touchscreens. I think it's time to concentrate on making a few new levels and enemies, as the base combat mechanics are quite good. Wanting to get a vertical slice out soon.

Not too much to show today, I spent majority of the day revising pretty much most of the level to start tying visual player hints in properly.

exterior2.png

I think I posted an earlier version about a week ago, but here's an updated version of the exterior of the Labs area.
A few model tweaks and a crap ton of texture fix-ups. Still a ways to go but the sense of scale excites the shit out of me :D

(Reference for scale : the character's height is about as high as the doors on either side of the image)

I still have to get my ass around to doing the skybox and dress-ups for the exterior.

Part #67238 of Fengshuifever's Accidental Solutions™, I was toying with a glass shader that'll let me run a diffuse over the top of glass and by messing with the View reflection, the glass diffuse stays put until a light gets closer to it but it doesn't make it entirely clear which ramps up the creepiness just a tad, especially when I put some enemies behind it to let the player know that they can detect the them.

In action, now comes bundled with audio!

All in all, pretty happy with today's results :)

Bit-Bit

Ah shit, spent the whole weekend working on a new prototype for a game idea. Last night, I stayed up till midnight ironing out the physics.

Then this morning I got the scoring system completed. Can't wait to show off some gifs!

Minamu

Anyone good with unity collision detection? I have some moving basic cubes as players and their rigidbody speeds aren't that high but still, I'm very easily moving through walls and even the floor if I jump. Let's say I have two walls of the same standard cube in an L shape. If I take my character and push against the intersection of the two walls, I slide right through as if I didn't have any box colliders at all. I read that with discreet collision detection, fast moving objects might not get detected but I'm pushing my character with around 0.2 force o_O I made the box colliders on the walls 5% thicker outside the geometry which kinda fixes the issue but that is one ugly hack xD

Vanguard

Anyone good with unity collision detection? I have some moving basic cubes as players and their rigidbody speeds aren't that high but still, I'm very easily moving through walls and even the floor if I jump. Let's say I have two walls of the same standard cube in an L shape. If I take my character and push against the intersection of the two walls, I slide right through as if I didn't have any box colliders at all. I read that with discreet collision detection, fast moving objects might not get detected but I'm pushing my character with around 0.2 force o_O I made the box colliders on the walls 5% thicker outside the geometry which kinda fixes the issue but that is one ugly hack xD

How are you moving the rigidbodies? They're pretty picky at how it's done and I still don't get the correct way exactly, but as an example I do:

Code:
_velocity = movementDirection * speed;

// Preserve the rigidbodys y velocity for gravity
_velocity.y = _rigidbody.velocity.y;
_rigidbody.velocity = _velocity;

inside of FixedUpdate. This way we give it the desired velocity, but let the physics system handle transforms/collision correctly. If you did for example

Code:
transform.position += velocity * Time.deltaTime
or something similiar, it freaks the physics engine out and you basically fight against it with it trying to correct stuff, causing you to go through colliders, because the object has been translated directly into another collider. But this is assuming a scenario where the rigidbodies are being moved in a way they don't like and a problem I've had before due to this. As said they're picky and you gotta play nice with them :p

If it's not due to this though.... then that's new to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom