• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

My prowess gets better and better every day

vy8FYIU.gif

0FLu9vx.gif

Been doing work on shaders lately. Real-time grass displacement taking into account up to 10 moving objects (I could scale it up higher even with probably minimal performance cost). Also adapted the gradient colour shader to the grass. The deer herd further has AI to avoid and run around the player, though it's not very noticable in this gif.

Also the grass is a combined mesh on build, so it's only like a handful of drawcalls.

I love this kind of thing! The environment reacting to things moving through it really helps bring things to life, and this looks great! Keep it up. :)

correojon

Progress is going slower than expected in my game, for the last 2 weeks I´ve been reprogramming and reorganizing code amd game systems, breakig things in the way and fixing them. I also think I´ll finally have to ditch all the MC sprites and animations and go for something even simpler as the size clashes with gameplay feedback. I´m even doubting of using pixel art and going with vector graphics. It feels like I have a million things to do and don´t know which way to take.

It sucks feeling no real progress is being made :(

ZServ

Progress is going slower than expected in my game, for the last 2 weeks I´ve been reprogramming and reorganizing code amd game systems, breakig things in the way and fixing them. I also think I´ll finally have to ditch all the MC sprites and animations and go for something even simpler as the size clashes with gameplay feedback. I´m even doubting of using pixel art and going with vector graphics. It feels like I have a million things to do and don´t know which way to take.

It sucks feeling no real progress is being made :(

I've been there so many times, my friend. Never give up! Even if you're only making small changes, implementing small things, those add up, and over time you end up with a much bigger whole.

No zero days!

correojon

I've been there so many times, my friend. Never give up! Even if you're only making small changes, implementing small things, those add up, and over time you end up with a much bigger whole.

No zero days!
Thanks for the support :) Yeah I´m not going to give up, it´s just that after a very smooth start everything has come to a crawl in the las weeks. I started the game in Unity but everything was taking too long, so I decided to switch to GM, got the basic engine done in a few days and the level editor´s main features in 2 more days. But now I keep adding things and doing a bunch of stuff that doesn´t really shine. But I won´t give up!

0FLu9vx.gif

Been doing work on shaders lately. Real-time grass displacement taking into account up to 10 moving objects (I could scale it up higher even with probably minimal performance cost). Also adapted the gradient colour shader to the grass. The deer herd further has AI to avoid and run around the player, though it's not very noticable in this gif.

Also the grass is a combined mesh on build, so it's only like a handful of drawcalls.

I'm really enjoying your posts on this project, really digging the visual style.

jarosh

Is there anyone here with a published Game Maker game on Steam who wouldn't mind answering a straightforward technical/SteamPipe related question (in private/PM)? Has to be a GM game.

Pehesse

The AIs are working! And so, the first thing they did is promptly DESTROY ME SO HARD

http://gfycat.com/FaroffVigorousAgouti

So this is why action games limit the number of enemies that can attack you at once, I guess :-D Well, lesson learned, and they've all now calmed down a bit, to a more manageable level. I'm quite happy with the current result, even if it still needs polish and balancing :-D Now, all I need is to setup the stages and what enemies appear where! The possibilities!

Looks so wrong watching a woman getting beaten by a bunch of guys

I don't understand that sentiment. Assuming that the player can actually win in this situation, the fact that she is in this position and fully capable of beating up a bunch of guys (there are also female enemies) is a testament to her strength and abilities that fully promotes gender equality. Male characters are constantly put in similar situations without issue. Placing a female character is the same role helps break down notions of helplessness and inferiority that are implicit in your statement that it "looks so wrong..."

Having a strong female character is a good thing.

EDIT: By the way Pehesse, all of that looks great!

Pehesse

Looks so wrong watching a woman getting beaten by a bunch of guys

I don't understand that sentiment. Assuming that the player can actually win in this situation, the fact that she is in this position and fully capable of beating up a bunch of guys (there are also female enemies) is a testament to her strength and abilities that fully promotes gender equality. Male characters are constantly put in similar situations without issue. Placing a female character is the same role helps break down notions of helplessness and inferiority that are implicit in your statement that it "looks so wrong..."

Having a strong female character is a good thing.

EDIT: By the way Pehesse, all of that looks great!

Ken summed up exactly what I'd have to say on the topic, so... thanks a lot, both for that and the kind words :-D

BTW new to this thread :D

Welcome!

mabec

The fact that it is a cartoonish looking "BEU" game and i still feel its wrong how five guys beat a girl down most mean you do something right. Plenty of games doing the same but this is the first time in a long time something just activated in my head, not sure why. And yes i do think the game looks better and better by each time i see it.

The fact that it is a cartoonish looking "BEU" game and i still feel its wrong how five guys beat a girl down most mean you do something right. Plenty of games doing the same but this is the first time in a long time something just activated in my head, not sure why. And yes i do think the game looks better and better by each time i see it.
There's a female attacking her in there, also. I don't see it as a big deal, tbh. She's fighting a bunch of peeps. This isn't a tomb-raider-esque scene so I don't see the problem. Then again I'm not looking for reasons and just take the scene at face value.

Would the invert trigger the same response? Say a dude getting jumped by a bunch of women?

mStudios

Oh boy

----
Anyways.

The AIs are working! And so, the first thing they did is promptly DESTROY ME SO HARD

http://gfycat.com/FaroffVigorousAgouti

So this is why action games limit the number of enemies that can attack you at once, I guess :-D Well, lesson learned, and they've all now calmed down a bit, to a more manageable level. I'm quite happy with the current result, even if it still needs polish and balancing :-D Now, all I need is to setup the stages and what enemies appear where! The possibilities!

Looking pretty good.

----
Comic/Manga Cover:
8UJW9HV.jpg

Davision

Neo Member
Something new from me:
p3D3VAp.jpg

5hOLINc.jpg

Hopefully I get this project off the ground.

Experiments with randomly generated spline deformation animation:
mPkxUcR.gif

mTmCdHo.gif

Also works nicely to quickly create asset variation without animation, random or by hand.

asa

Worked on update levels today and came up with a trigger button and flood gate system. It's always nice feeling when you come up with a "new" mechanic for your game.

Here's Power Hovers input for this weeks #screenshotsaturday.

giphy.gif

Worked on update levels today and came up with a trigger button and flood gate system. It's always nice feeling when you come up with a "new" mechanic for your game.

Here's Power Hovers input for this weeks #screenshotsaturday.

giphy.gif

If you don't mind sharing, how well has the game been doing? What were your expectations prior to release?

Also, where is my damn Android version! ( updates look great, and will definitely grab it when released )

PirateHearts

Neo Member
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1435457420/

Doubt anyone here has probably actually read the book above, but if anyone has, is it a recommended read as someone that really wants to dive into game designing? Or are there any other books you'd recommend me?

I haven't read that one, so I can't say one way or the other, but as C++ game dev books go, I would recommend C++ for Game Programmers: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1584502274/, especially for its chapters on object creation and serialization. There's a newer edition, too (http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1584504528/) but I haven't read that one either, so I can't say how it's changed.

Over the holidays I took a break from VizionEck for a week and programmed an RPG into my forum.

It's something me and some friends talked about for a long time so it was nice to get it partially implemented. Basically it's set up like a simple mobile phone RPG, only microtransactions and timers are replaced with forum activity. IE instead of it taking 10 real world hours to travel to a city, it takes 10 forum posts to travel to a city.

All items need a physical location, either directly on the player or in a pack the player is carrying. Yet to define which objects are allowed where, so the gif has them equipped in random places on the body.

As is the RPG has travel, shops, inventory, and dialogue trees. Still wish to add combat and quests.

asa

If you don't mind sharing, how well has the game been doing? What were your expectations prior to release?

Also, where is my damn Android version! ( updates look great, and will definitely grab it when released )

We are planning to do a bit more detailed post about the sales once the launch dust settles, for now I can say that sales haven't been too good, but not abysmal either. Hopefully we can gather bit more revenue and awareness from releasing on other platforms.

Android is launching next week if everything goes as planned. We are trying different approach on Android: the game will be free with ads + (one time iAP to remove ads 2.99). This is due to heavy piracy, possible compatibility issues and different marketplace.

We'll see how that goes, hopefully Android release will gather more players and that might affect positively on iOS sales as well.

Whelp, I've never made a trailer before in my life but one's needed for greenlight so here's my first ever trailer attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG_FUG8hFGI
Feedback very much appreciated so I can clean it up and finally get this show on the road :D

...come to think on it, this is also the first time I've uploaded anything to youtube too XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom