• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

Soo the artist gave me the green light to post this on GAF as well, since it is up on pixeljoint already : D This is a rough plan on how the combat will go. But unlike DMC, you will most likely have a stamina bar which shall run out soon after a combo like this.

swordpistolaircombo.gif

itsmanny

Neo Member
Hey guys, it's been quite some time since my last post. We've been working on a lot of props and facades and storefronts these past months and we should be able to should be able to show actual gameplay "soon"-ish :)
Most of the shots are development shots where we're showing of final prop sets like construction, trash or bags.

tumblr_o02xbus5BU1upp7pzo2_1280.png

This puddle basically shows our ground shader, we can dynamically paint moss, cracks and water onto our meshes using vertex color and it all blends together beautifully.

tumblr_o1d9cuR6R71upp7pzo1_540.png

tumblr_o1iszec6Oh1upp7pzo2_1280.png

tumblr_o1obn4674c1upp7pzo2_1280.png

tumblr_o1obn4674c1upp7pzo1_1280.png

tumblr_o1qbi1l4Xb1upp7pzo2_1280.png

tumblr_nwzg9xRuan1upp7pzo1_1280.png

I hope you like these! We got more on our blog madeapps.tumblr.com

Bit-Bit

Whelp, I've never made a trailer before in my life but one's needed for greenlight so here's my first ever trailer attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG_FUG8hFGI
Feedback very much appreciated so I can clean it up and finally get this show on the road :D

...come to think on it, this is also the first time I've uploaded anything to youtube too XD
Blurring out the gameplay for the text makes it even harder for me to understand how the game works. Towards the end of the video, you had text above that didn't blur out the game play. Do that for the whole video.

Minamu

Any tips for how to combat a tps camera that moves through walls a lot? Makes it pretty easy to cheat by looking through places youre not supposed to :/ age-old problem of course. I made the outer walls planes with a material on just one side so theres nothing to clip through kinda but that wont work for the level geometry obviously haha.

Maybe a collision box for the camera as well?

Any tips for how to combat a tps camera that moves through walls a lot? Makes it pretty easy to cheat by looking through places youre not supposed to :/ age-old problem of course. I made the outer walls planes with a material on just one side so theres nothing to clip through kinda but that wont work for the level geometry obviously haha.

Maybe a collision box for the camera as well?

I was actually struggling through this for a while, are you working in Unity perchance?

Cause if you are there's a couple of really great YT series on Third Person Movement and Camera Control (including raycast checks for collisions)

Blurring out the gameplay for the text makes it even harder for me to understand how the game works. Towards the end of the video, you had text above that didn't blur out the game play. Do that for the whole video.
Ah, good call. I did put the text up top near the end to try and let people just get more of an uninterrupted view, but earlier in I was more focussed on just getting the general tenents of the game across :3
I'll definitely see what I can do to get out of the way a bit more XD

anteevy

Does anyone have experience with Twitch integration / streamer support? I.e. adding specific features that make the game more appealing for streamers (and their viewers). I want to do something like that and am currently brainstorming for ideas.

One thing that came to my mind was that at the end of each level Steam keys for the game could be displayed, depending on how well the streamer played. Viewers would then be rooting for the streamer to master the level and maybe also give tips and support on how to best complete a difficult section. There is no timer in the campaign, so the streamer can talk to the viewers without hurry between sections.

Building on that, viewers could even trigger events (via chat votes) that help the streamer out at difficult sections. E.g. "reduce respawns taken by 10", "instantly collect all visible point orbs" etc. to help the streamer get a better score.

Minamu

I was actually struggling through this for a while, are you working in Unity perchance?

Cause if you are there's a couple of really great YT series on Third Person Movement and Camera Control (including raycast checks for collisions)
I sure am :D Could you link to that?

The AIs are working! And so, the first thing they did is promptly DESTROY ME SO HARD

http://gfycat.com/FaroffVigorousAgouti

So this is why action games limit the number of enemies that can attack you at once, I guess :-D Well, lesson learned, and they've all now calmed down a bit, to a more manageable level. I'm quite happy with the current result, even if it still needs polish and balancing :-D Now, all I need is to setup the stages and what enemies appear where! The possibilities!

This looks AMAZING, and yes you did get your ass kicked. Do you have some sort of spawn system determining what types of enemies show up and how big a "mob" is? Or is it far too early?

Ignore all the "A women getting beaten up?!" comments that are sure to come

Pehesse

This looks AMAZING, and yes you did get your ass kicked. Do you have some sort of spawn system determining what types of enemies show up and how big a "mob" is? Or is it far too early?

Ignore all the "A women getting beaten up?!" comments that are sure to come

Thanks!

About the spawn system: it's more of a "stage" system, where depending on the day of the calendar/location you battle in, I have an array of difficulty mode dependant premade battle formations (say for instance, 2 strength enemies and 1 speed, or 1 defense, 1 strength, 2 speed, etc). There are 2 enemies of each type, so 6 at most on screen at any given time, since I don't want clones to appear.

In addition there's a respawn counter, so you're not limited to fighting the initially available enemies in a given stage: depending on the difficulty mode, you might need to beat some of them several times over before they finally get the hint and leave the battle for good :-D (so for instance: in easy mode, a setup with 3 initial enemies might be over after you beat all three once, in normal mode you might need to beat a total of 5, whoever among the three respawned, and in hard mode, you would need to beat each of the three a set amount of times)

Those street brawls are meant to be quick affairs, more akin to random battles in a JRPG, so you won't be fighting wave after wave of enemies in any single instance - it's meant to show you if you're in the right stat ballpark for the next match. If you wipe the floor with the enemies in seconds, you're good to go, if not, time to hit the gym some more :-D

Hey guys, it's been quite some time since my last post. We've been working on a lot of props and facades and storefronts these past months and we should be able to should be able to show actual gameplay "soon"-ish :)
Most of the shots are development shots where we're showing of final prop sets like construction, trash or bags.

All of the materials look fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more.

Hey Indie-GAF! Is anyone in here in need of a music composer or sound designer for his/her indie game project?

I'm a composer/producer and sound designer (now fully freelance!) and now that I have a way more extra time, I'm getting back into the indie game world.

You can listen to my music and see my credits here:
http://www.stevenmcdonaldmusic.com/music/

I'm really good at emotional and cinematic music (I'm a story teller) but since I write so much music for different TV shows as it is now, I'm well versed in several genres, and I'm very adaptable. I have a recording set up for sound design as well, and I'm flexible and willing to work with budgets of pretty much any size.

GAF is the first place I like to go when it comes to indie games - I've seen some really awesome screenshots/demos/concepts in this thread over the past few months while browsing this thread at my (former) day job wishing I had the time to work on games.

Keep up the good work y'all!

Hey Indie-GAF! Is anyone in here in need of a music composer or sound designer for his/her indie game project?

I'm a composer/producer and sound designer (now fully freelance!) and now that I have a way more extra time, I'm getting back into the indie game world.

I'm really good at emotional and cinematic music (I'm a story teller) but since I write so much music for different TV shows as it is now, I'm well versed in several genres, and I'm very adaptable. I have a recording set up for sound design as well, and I'm flexible and willing to work with budgets of pretty much any size.

GAF is the first place I like to go when it comes to indie games - I've seen some really awesome screenshots/demos/concepts in this thread over the past few months while browsing this thread at my (former) day job wishing I had the time to work on games.

Hey, this is really good stuff! (I've been listening to the Pathways playlist in the background for the past ~15 minutes). I'm not in the market for music right now, but I'll be sure to add a bookmark to your page for future usage.

edit: okay. WOW. I've been listening to Derelict and this is downright gorgeous. I really wish I already knew what music I needed so I could hire you.

ekim

This is really really good. I wish I was that good with orchestral music although I love to rescore movie scenes but I tend to use only pianos and strings. Did you already do music for games? I'm asking because I would like to know how to deal with dynamic music requests. I know that you send in premixed comps for usage in related middleware like fmod or wwise but is one also responsible for helping implementing a good arrangement into the game like by giving out some sort of "templates"? Never dealt with those middleware stuff.

correojon

The AIs are working! And so, the first thing they did is promptly DESTROY ME SO HARD

So this is why action games limit the number of enemies that can attack you at once, I guess :-D Well, lesson learned, and they've all now calmed down a bit, to a more manageable level. I'm quite happy with the current result, even if it still needs polish and balancing :-D Now, all I need is to setup the stages and what enemies appear where! The possibilities!
This looks awesome! I think there are different animations for the enemies when they kill the player? I love such little details, great work!

Something new from me:
p3D3VAp.jpg

5hOLINc.jpg

Hopefully I get this project off the ground.
Wow, if you hadn´t posted the second image I would´ve thought this was 2D, what an awesome artstyle and execution.

Worked on update levels today and came up with a trigger button and flood gate system. It's always nice feeling when you come up with a "new" mechanic for your game.

Here's Power Hovers input for this weeks #screenshotsaturday.

giphy.gif
I love the look of this game, it´s very clean. I also love the gameplay related details, like the green button being for bigger gates with 2 parts and the yellow one for tighter ones. I guess there will be a red button for even smaller gates? I´ll definitely get this when you release in Android.

Davision

Neo Member
Holy shit, I thought that was actually 2D for a moment there. How'd you pull off the look of the shaders? I'm assuming this is UE4?

A lot of the look is done through ramp mapping, basically I change the colors by a texture lookup and in X it is a gradient for the lightning. Here for most colors it drifts towards a blueish in the shadows while keeping it saturated. For all this to work I have to extract Brightness, Hue, Saturation and Lighting which is quite complex and I have to bypass all the realistic rendering features, Specular, Roughness and Metallic. The most tricky are the colored outlines, it currently is a mix of 2 solutions: a blurred pass and offsetting/shifting the pixels based on depth to make up the outlines color which then get also darkened a bit. Both solutions have their disadvantage but together it works relatively good. I also use the Roughness pass as a mask to define outlines sensitivity a bit. And the Metallic pass as a mask for the cavity lines like the lines in the wood. The actual lines detection is based on simple outlines rendering but also change their width on depth. Well, it is quite complex overall.

Pehesse

This looks awesome! I think there are different animations for the enemies when they kill the player? I love such little details, great work!

Thanks! And yeah, it's to add insult to injury :-D If you lose, you have to want to come back!

For a change, here's the current stuff I have laid out right in front of me as I'm scripting the scene loader for the one vs. many segment:

Yeah, I guess it can't be all fun, all the time.

Hey, this is really good stuff! (I've been listening to the Pathways playlist in the background for the past ~15 minutes). I'm not in the market for music right now, but I'll be sure to add a bookmark to your page for future usage.

edit: okay. WOW. I've been listening to Derelict and this is downright gorgeous. I really wish I already knew what music I needed so I could hire you.

Thanks for the kind words :) Derelict is really my favorite of my albums. It's all tied together with themes and aims to tell a story. Fun stuff :)

Keep me in mind and definitely contact me whenever you're ready!

This is really really good. I wish I was that good with orchestral music although I love to rescore movie scenes but I tend to use only pianos and strings. Did you already do music for games? I'm asking because I would like to know how to deal with dynamic music requests. I know that you send in premixed comps for usage in related middleware like fmod or wwise but is one also responsible for helping implementing a good arrangement into the game like by giving out some sort of "templates"? Never dealt with those middleware stuff.

Thanks, glad you like it :)

I've never used the middleware myself either honestly. But I know how to make my music loopable, I know how to score to picture for cutscenes/cinematics, and I offer to give stems (just groups of certain instruments) that can be layered in gradually... it really just depends on what the developer wants. If they don't know, I can usually give them a few tips and suggest things to try.

Bit-Bit

Anybody got tips on how to animate a hand painted asset? I'm going for a minimalist hand painted art style for my game.

Using Rebelle to paint the fish in my game and so far I have the tail on the left side as the first frame and then a mirror of that as my second frame.

It looks.....serviceable but very choppy.

EPf0N9d.png

Anybody got tips on how to animate a hand painted asset? I'm going for a minimalist hand painted art style for my game.

Using Rebelle to paint the fish in my game and so far I have the tail on the left side as the first frame and then a mirror of that as my second frame.

It looks.....serviceable but very choppy.

EPf0N9d.png
There's lots of 2D tools you can use to manipulate sprites, sprites with skeletons, adjust at runtime or even export them as a series of sprites for animation. Things like Spine or Spriter are listed in the OP :D

Bit-Bit

There's lots of 2D tools you can use to manipulate sprites, sprites with skeletons, adjust at runtime or even export them as a series of sprites for animation. Things like Spine or Spriter are listed in the OP :D

I bought Spriter Pro back during a steam sale, gonna watch some youtube videos and learn it now.

Thanks for the info.

Kalentan

So I've been messing with my "Downed" system in game.

Here is what I have thus far:

OyHb.png

I think I got it to look like he is kneeling. Sort of.

So how does the "Downed" system work?

Well, it works something like XCOM. When your health is reduced to 0 or below, the hero character will go down. At that point they will get 1 tick on their "Grave Injury" counter. The characters resilience (which determines if they get an injury), will be cut to 25 of 100, and become a shield. (Enemies do 5 damage or more with a skill.) If the resilience is reduced to 0 while they're downed, rather than just getting an injury, they will be kill instantly.

However the character can also die in this state two other ways.

Either no character gets them up in 3 turns, or if they get downed a third time (thus their Grave Injury would become 3), they're instantly killed rather than downed.

It should be noted that Grave Injuries provide no debuffs like regular Injuries do. I think that would be a bit too punishing if they did.

Does this sound fair? It should be noted that ANY characters can get an ally up. Also due to this system being in place, there is
no revival mechanics in the game. In fact, this system also ties into the hardest difficulty which has you fail if you let any characters die. Cause in the regular game, they're simply out for the rest of the mission, in the hardest difficulty, they die for real and you get a game over. Since unlike XCOM or other TRPGs. There's no "recruitment" system in the game. The main 8 characters you get, are those who will stick with you for the rest of the game.

asa

I love the look of this game, it´s very clean. I also love the gameplay related details, like the green button being for bigger gates with 2 parts and the yellow one for tighter ones. I guess there will be a red button for even smaller gates? I´ll definitely get this when you release in Android.

Thanks! You don't have to wait long, we are just checking final details from Android, preparing for release tomorrow! :)

So I've been messing with my "Downed" system in game.

Here is what I have thus far:

OyHb.png

I think I got it to look like he is kneeling. Sort of.

So how does the "Downed" system work?

Well, it works something like XCOM. When your health is reduced to 0 or below, the hero character will go down. At that point they will get 1 tick on their "Grave Injury" counter. The characters resilience (which determines if they get an injury), will be cut to 25 of 100, and become a shield. (Enemies do 5 damage or more with a skill.) If the resilience is reduced to 0 while they're downed, rather than just getting an injury, they will be kill instantly.

However the character can also die in this state two other ways.

Either no character gets them up in 3 turns, or if they get downed a third time (thus their Grave Injury would become 3), they're instantly killed rather than downed.

It should be noted that Grave Injuries provide no debuffs like regular Injuries do. I think that would be a bit too punishing if they did.

Does this sound fair? It should be noted that ANY characters can get an ally up. Also due to this system being in place, there is
no revival mechanics in the game. In fact, this system also ties into the hardest difficulty which has you fail if you let any characters die. Cause in the regular game, they're simply out for the rest of the mission, in the hardest difficulty, they die for real and you get a game over. Since unlike XCOM or other TRPGs. There's no "recruitment" system in the game. The main 8 characters you get, are those who will stick with you for the rest of the game.

1. It looks like he's taking a huge lunge. I'd remove the boot peaking out from the left foot to give a better kneeling effect.

2. Sounds good to me! Although what happens if they're out into that state again during the same battle? Also after being "healed" by an ally does resilience go back up or remain at what it was (25, or whatever value it was reduced to before getting help)?

SomTervo

I just took my first step into being the press/community contact for the game.

Shit is a clusterfuck.

That is so awesome. Congrats, pal.

Shit is a clusterfuck.
Ouch. Mishaps in representation? I had to deal with BS once. Anything you can clarify without names? The whole PR aspect is something I know next to nothing about.

Kalentan

1. It looks like he's taking a huge lunge. I'd remove the boot peaking out from the left foot to give a better kneeling effect.

2. Sounds good to me! Although what happens if they're out into that state again during the same battle? Also after being "healed" by an ally does resilience go back up or remain at what it was (25, or whatever value it was reduced to before getting help)?

You mean the right foot?

For your second question, are you asking what happens if they're downed again in battle? If so, then their Grave Injuries gets updated to 2 and if they get downed a third time, they instantly die.

As for their resilience after being got up. I'm unsure. I'm thinking it will be brought back up to what it was before getting downed. As currently there is no system in place to restore Resilience.

You mean the right foot?

For your second question, are you asking what happens if they're downed again in battle? If so, then their Grave Injuries gets updated to 2 and if they get downed a third time, they instantly die.

As for their resilience after being got up. I'm unsure. I'm thinking it will be brought back up to what it was before getting downed. As currently there is no system in place to restore Resilience.

Yeah, right in the image but left from his perspective

DNAbro

So I'm taking an Object Oriented Programming class and the main thing we are building is a game to try and fully grasp proper OOP practices. The professor gave specifications for our first submission and we had to try and meet them. We are making an RPG and we were supposed to be able to move around in the game, use items, equip items, tiles that interact on touch, impassable tiles, and save/load.

I had a group of 9 people and we had 3 weeks of planning and 1 week of implementation. This was all done in Java with standard libraries. The only other requirement is that we weren't allowed to use a built in serializer to save objects and if we wanted to do that we would have to create our own. Here is a couple screenshots of what we made.

And as a note, the name of my group was Ironic Cats because my professor has a weird obsession with cats.

Though the game we are making isn't ever going to be something big or commercial, I'm still incredibly proud of what my team was able to accomplish in the time frame we were given. There are some significant bugs with saving/loading but still proud. Working in a group of 9 people to build something was an incredible learning experience. Also learned that trying to program for more than 8-9 hours in day just leads to diminishing results in my quality of work lol. On Sunday/Monday my team worked from 12 noon to 3:30 am to get it finished for a presentation today.

So yeah just wanted to share my experience. Game development feels great lol.

missile

Soo the artist gave me the green light to post this on GAF as well, since it is up on pixeljoint already : D This is a rough plan on how the combat will go. But unlike DMC, you will most likely have a stamina bar which shall run out soon after a combo like this.

swordpistolaircombo.gif
Give me that Anonther World vibe, please! :)

Am pretty sure you will get an award or something! :+

bkw

Huh. Might have to look into Lumberyard. Sounds like it's more or less completely free (minus AWS fees). If they're counting on AWS, then hopefully they'll have good support on the multiplayer / networking side of things so regular joes like me can have a hope of making an MP game. =P

Hopefully they don't charge (much) for AWS while the game's still in development.

SomTervo

Ouch. Mishaps in representation? I had to deal with BS once. Anything you can clarify without names? The whole PR aspect is something I know next to nothing about.

Oh no, I wasn't referring to anything actually problematic when I said 'clusterfuck'. I just sort of meant the whole role. It's just hectic. An endless torrent of emails and fine details to sift through, judgement calls to make. Esp. because I'm the only person on the team with a professional manner and native English who is actually dedicating time to it. The main thing is:

62272188.jpg

The worst part is I'm inheriting a lot of spreadsheets which are really badly formatted with lots of useless/duplicate data. Even entire spreadsheets seem to be duplicated (e.g. one for YouTubers and then another one for "Streamers" T_T )

I sure am :D Could you link to that?

Gah! I can't believe I forgot to reply to you! :p

I'll atone for my slip up by posting awesome tutorials,

John Mac's Third Person and Camera playlist is such a good bounding off point into understanding the theory and practice of a great character controller and camera positioning.

He uses raycasts to register hits on geometry and adjusts the positional height of the camera, like Zelda games.
The finished product brings a few bugs but combine that with your own experimentation and it's a super solid base to jump off from.

I actually modelled my character movement after this before I opted for a more camera view movement based controller and camera. (think like Dark Souls, where the character moves in accordance with the forward vector of the camera)

Renaissance Coders' Camera Collision 3 parter is also a super awesome resource because it touches more on working out collision by using the near and far clip planes of the camera view and using raycasts the trace along their vectors, letting the camera recognise when geometry intersects the field of these points.

Check those out, I think they're REALLY good jumping off points to learn more practical applications of camera collision.

Off-topic, I found a really good resource in using point and click gameplay theory and implementing that into Unity. I've been able to completely re-tool that into my game so now essentially everything in a level is interactable/examinable. I've been wanting to grasp the same joyous feeling of that thing in Mother 3 where almost everything was interactable.

asa

Just released the Android version of the Power Hover!

Google Play Link
Game is free on Android, with ads + one time iAP to remove them..

Anyone with Android devices, I would appreciate If you could check the game out, to see that it starts at least :)

Little Promo art I made for the launch:

correojon

Google Play Link

Anyone with Android devices, I would appreciate If you could check the game out, to see that it starts at least :)

There were 2 entries with the same name and the same logo: one with a rounded logo and another with a square one. I downloaded the one with the round logo, launched the app and the Unity logo appeared, but the screen has gone balck and nothing else has happened. Should I try the other one?

Wait, after pressing the Return key of the phone the game started. Playing it now!

Bit-Bit

Google Play Link

Awesome! Played the first few levels and really enjoyed it. Paid to remove the ads. I also rated and shared it with my friends.

swordpistolaircombo.gif
Going to echo the "it reminds me of 'another world' / 'flashback'" comment. It looks really clean and fluid. I like it :3
The stamina on swinging stuff can be interesting or it can feel limiting depending on how it plays out. Here's hoping you manage to get it pacing the combat nicely though :D

~pics~

Wow nice. Always kind of envious when I see people with awesome environments like that in their games XD

Shit is a clusterfuck.
Heh, definitely my least favourite part of being a gamedev. I usually like chatting to people and whatnot but when you're doing it with something commercial as the motivation it all feels a bit more false and less enjoyable for some reason :eek:

Oh no, I wasn't referring to anything actually problematic when I said 'clusterfuck'. I just sort of meant the whole role. It's just hectic. An endless torrent of emails and fine details to sift through, judgement calls to make. Esp. because I'm the only person on the team with a professional manner and native English who is actually dedicating time to it. The main thing is:

62272188.jpg

The worst part is I'm inheriting a lot of spreadsheets which are really badly formatted with lots of useless/duplicate data. Even entire spreadsheets seem to be duplicated (e.g. one for YouTubers and then another one for "Streamers" T_T )
Oh I get you now :(

asa

There were 2 entries with the same name and the same logo: one with a rounded logo and another with a square one. I downloaded the one with the round logo, launched the app and the Unity logo appeared, but the screen has gone balck and nothing else has happened. Should I try the other one?

Wait, after pressing the Return key of the phone the game started. Playing it now!

Someone ripped the 3D assets from iOS version and basically re-engineered the whole game(poorly). Then they waited until we release the Power hover on Android and put it out there at the same time, sucks, but what can you do..
We used Google's Trademark or copyright infringement form to report them. We shall see what happens with that, at least you were able to find the our genuine product :)

edit: There seems to be something wrong with play services starting up on some devices, need to investigate that. Luckily you were able to start the app.

Awesome! Played the first few levels and really enjoyed it. Paid to remove the ads. I also rated and shared it with my friends.

Thanks!

correojon

Someone ripped the 3D assets from iOS version and basically re-engineered the whole game(poorly). Then they waited until we release the Power hover on Android and put it out there at the same time, sucks, but what can you do..
We used Google's Trademark or copyright infringement form to report them. We shall see what happens with that, at least you were able to find the our genuine product :)
Whirl Brain studios are the copycats? They even copied the screenshots and game description in the game´s Play site. Hope Google acts fast, that must suck.
I just played 2 levels, the attention to detail is AMAZING. Loved how the story was told, the interface by using game elements instead of simple menus and the game controls very well. Also, the spanish translation is very well done, usually mobile games get this wrong more times than not and it really bothers me, but it´s perfect in this one.
Rated 5*, will play more later and buy the add-free version :)

SomTervo

So I'm taking an Object Oriented Programming class and the main thing we are building is a game to try and fully grasp proper OOP practices. The professor gave specifications for our first submission and we had to try and meet them. We are making an RPG and we were supposed to be able to move around in the game, use items, equip items, tiles that interact on touch, impassable tiles, and save/load.

I had a group of 9 people and we had 3 weeks of planning and 1 week of implementation. This was all done in Java with standard libraries. The only other requirement is that we weren't allowed to use a built in serializer to save objects and if we wanted to do that we would have to create our own. Here is a couple screenshots of what we made.

And as a note, the name of my group was Ironic Cats because my professor has a weird obsession with cats.

Though the game we are making isn't ever going to be something big or commercial, I'm still incredibly proud of what my team was able to accomplish in the time frame we were given. There are some significant bugs with saving/loading but still proud. Working in a group of 9 people to build something was an incredible learning experience. Also learned that trying to program for more than 8-9 hours in day just leads to diminishing results in my quality of work lol. On Sunday/Monday my team worked from 12 noon to 3:30 am to get it finished for a presentation today.

So yeah just wanted to share my experience. Game development feels great lol.

That is god damn awesome. Well done to you all.

itsmanny

Neo Member
Amazon has gotten into the game engine business with Lumberyard.

It's based on the code they licensed from Crytek (CryEngine).

FAQ here.
GAF thread here.

No license fees or royalties, but you must not use any web services but Amazon's.
Source available (but not open source – like Unreal).
This is a ballsy move. Unfortunately it seems that Cryengine lacks far behind UE4 in terms of usability and cool workflows. :( Well, I hope UE4 reduces their royalties :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom