• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

correojon

Quick Game Maker question:

If I have a ds_list created by object_1 in room_1, and I change rooms to room_2 without destroying the list, the list is still occupying memory with no way to access it, right (unless the list id is stored in a global variable)?

That´s right, you can check it with ds_exists(lstName, ds_type_list). The list should also remain accesible if the object is persistent.
The first thing I always do when I create a ds structure is write the code that will destroy that structure.

My friend was telling me that it's because you don't trust people implicitly, because they're going to be biased and love their own work and think it's more deserving than it might be, so becoming a second party makes it appear like there is actual merit to the work since other people are willing to endorse it.

My friend was also saying that it's less tacky because it makes the originator appear more humble, and people love helping out the humble underdog.

"Your friend" makes a lot of sense :p

missile

My friend was telling me that it's because you don't trust people implicitly, because they're going to be biased and love their own work and think it's more deserving than it might be, so becoming a second party makes it appear like there is actual merit to the work since other people are willing to endorse it.

My friend was also saying that it's less tacky because it makes the originator appear more humble, and people love helping out the humble underdog.
Sounds reasonable. Btw; shouldn't it read 'explicitly' in the sense of
straight or directly? Anyways. Another idea is; perhaps people may not like to
vote directly for someones work because they my feel getting into a (fictive)
competition esp. when his/her own life isn't as bride as they think the one
will live ones having finished the work getting all the "fame and money"? And
since fame is a big thing on the internet, people may not like to give any up
until it becomes trivial, i.e. when everybody does.

Gilby

This is the million dollar question. Send review codes to youtubers, gaming sites, twitch streamers etc. It's no easy task. Just getting noticed in the first place is the hardest thing.

Also, a tip for posting on reddit: Rather than making a thread saying "I spent X years working on a game, it releases today!" get someone else to make a post saying "My friend spent X years working on a game, it releases today!"

It's stupid but it works. You make some original content and you get downvoted to fuck, but if "your friend" did something cool then it's all good.

Thanks for the reddit advice, I might do just that. He's was the star of our class in game design school, but since he's from Israel he couldn't find work because no major companies wanted to do the work permit process. So he wound up working for a startup that had a lot of problems and their first game failed, so the owner basically said "do what you want, we just need to put out something to try and get back on our feet". A lot of people left, but because of the immigration situation he couldn't (and those who stuck around have been getting paid very infrequently this whole time). The entire game is being made by a handful of people, and he's done pretty much all the 3D art, animation, 2D art, and some scripting.

He's so crazy talented and so underpaid and overworked (story of indie games in general I guess), whenever we had game jams at school whichever team he was on won, and the few jams I've done with him since then have been a blast (it's nice to have someone who can basically handle anything on your team and who's easy to work with to boot). I really hope this project succeeds, and by the time it's done he should finally have his PR and can get hired at a major studio.

Good question. I've asked a few successful kickstarters this, and they generally say to contact press/websites/blogs relative to the subject of the game. For this it might be hard to find that, from one screenshot of the city I see you could probably tap into the Kaiju crowd on reddit or elsewhere and they could be interested.

Twitter is a big deal apparently as well, so make sure they have one of those.

Can't give too much advice because I've only failed myself, but good luck to them. Game looks cool.

Thanks man, the prototypes I've played have been fun. It's sort of Mario Party without the board BS (the boring parts), just running through simple mazes (methlabs) and being thrown into short minigames every 20 seconds or so. Bear Soccer is my favourite. At the end of every level Hitler summons a boss. I'm gonna try and figure out some niche subreddits tomorrow and post there for them, worst case scenario it gets ignored.

It'll be good practice for when I finally try to push my own game Gun Set (a very long time from now).

While I've been working on tilesets and sprites for my game, I began to ponder...

At what point would things stop being "inspired by" and more "copied from"? Last thing I want is to accidentally "plagiarize" similar tile artwork and stuff. I've been making a lot more references to 16-bit JRPGs when it comes to the tiles, to make them look more "correct", but sometimes I wonder if I might end up accidentally "copying" them whether I intended it or not.

Lautaro

Had some progress with AI in Beastmancer, in this video you can see the AI units (on the right side) executing some basic commands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgIrOmoAVuU

I also made a new progress report in IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/beastmancer/news/beastmancer-progress-report-3

After getting a basic AI and making the grid work with units that use more than 1 tile I'm feeling in the zone.

MX5izDG.gif

Exuro

So I'm playing around with physics in unity and I've come across something odd. I'm moving a sphere back and forth, controlled by torque, and have the friction set up so it can spin out at high speeds. I also have it add a force while its in the air to give it some air control. Sometimes when its spinning out it gets a perpendicular force applied to it or something. Basically it makes the ball wobble for a bit. I made a quick video, and it happens at around 25 seconds. Does anyone know what this is? It really messes up the control since it's not consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIu_5_IToR0&feature=youtu.be

edit: Here's a better one. I'm only pressing up and down and then jump gives me more speed to go fast enough to slide. On this one the ball goes kind of whacky, but I'm only adding forces forwards and backwards, with jump being a set velocity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jILV128NQY&edit=vd

Kalentan

Made some edits to my walking animation, and removed a frame since I think it was making it too long at points.

Old:
7vWb.gif

New:
00Wb.gif

I think it looks smoother now.

Jobbs

Banned
Made some edits to my walking animation, and removed a frame since I think it was making it too long at points.

Old:
7vWb.gif

New:
00Wb.gif

I think it looks smoother now.

It looks like a dance or like he's dangling. I can point out at least a few specific reasons for this.

I can't recall if you want crits/advice or not, so if you don't, don't look at the spoilered bits I guess.

1) when you walk your arm/shoulder movement is opposite your leg movement. In other words, when your left leg is going forward, your left arm isn't also going forward, it's going back.

2) no vertical movement at all

3) the legs don't appear rigid and seem to bend backwards a bit when he thrusts forward, which isn't what happens if you're actually pushing yourself forward.

JeffG

Definitely interested if things break. I'm super desperate to get off of 5.3 to something more stable, but I've no idea if 5.4 will be any more or less stable.

Keep all of us Unity users in the loop! In the mean time...

Overall, the upgrade went good. I was up and running, but I did have some errors in the console, but I could run the game.

The error I had was from the Flux asset. It had an update to make it 5.4 compatible, but on upgrade left my flux "cut scene" broken (which broke the game)

So I just need to figure out how to fix my cut scene and I should be ok.

So...end result. not perfect, but maybe the cleanest upgrade yet. (I stopped developing for 6 mths or so after the 4.6 update)

Kalentan

It looks like a dance or like he's dangling. I can point out at least a few specific reasons for this.

I can't recall if you want crits/advice or not, so if you don't, don't look at the spoilered bits I guess.

1) when you walk your arm/shoulder movement is opposite your leg movement. In other words, when your left leg is going forward, your left arm isn't also going forward, it's going back.

2) no vertical movement at all

3) the legs don't appear rigid and seem to bend backwards a bit when he thrusts forward, which isn't what happens if you're actually pushing yourself forward.

Alright... Hm... Honestly I think my issue is still the angle. Since he's technically not completely profile I get a bit confused. I try to pose for it but I'm not exactly the best at it.

As for the arms... Yeah, you're right. I sort of cheaped out for the first version and used my idle arms. Shouldn't be hard to implement that and will for sure be in version .00012.

I'm trying to visualize how to do the vertical movement... Like how do I do it without making them look like they're bouncing.

I welcome the criticism, so long as it's not mean... if that makes sense.

I'll be downloading 5.4 tomorrow. Can report on PC/PS4 breakage.

I remember trying the beta a lot was deprecated. Will make my Friday night fun, I guess :(

Kalentan

Last gif of the night...

M0Wb.gif

The legs still need work and as Jobbs mentioned, needs vertical movement... But the arms make it look less like a dance... I think, I'm not a dancer. XD

Overall, the upgrade went good. I was up and running, but I did have some errors in the console, but I could run the game.

So...end result. not perfect, but maybe the cleanest upgrade yet. (I stopped developing for 6 mths or so after the 4.6 update)

I'll be downloading 5.4 tomorrow. Can report on PC/PS4 breakage.

I remember trying the beta a lot was deprecated. Will make my Friday night fun, I guess :(

yurrrpp, about to see how much 5.4 breaks Beacon....woooo

holy shit, it broke nothing for me! I could just launch the game straight away

Wow, this gives me hope that 5.4 might not be a total turd. Looks like even releases might be stable-ish, and odd ones are the broken ones?

I'll be making the upgrade tomorrow as well, I think, so hopefully everything goes well.

Jobbs

Banned
Last gif of the night...

M0Wb.gif

The legs still need work and as Jobbs mentioned, needs vertical movement... But the arms make it look less like a dance... I think, I'm not a dancer. XD

it only needs a pixel or two or three of vertical movement really.. should go up with the stride and down with the landing.

Kalentan

it only needs a pixel or two or three of vertical movement really.. should go up with the stride and down with the landing.

i1Wb.png

So I made this and the first row is what the movement is now below it I didn't make a drastic change but I did make it lower the "landing" points. Um, I just wonder how it's going to look since the ground in completely flat so I wonder how I do it without making it look like they're clipping through the floor.

Or am I not understanding correctly. Cause I'm playing Starbound at the moment which does have the vertical movement and... I'm trying to find the sprite sheet so I can see what they do. But the bounce up so I assume there's a frame where the feet aren't touching the ground?

Edit: heh, actually managed to take a screenshot:

k1Wb.png

Yeah, so the feet stop touching the ground... I wonder where that would be applied in mine? If at all. Different sprite so it may not work for every kind.

Edit 2: Looking at C:SoTN, I do see that there's the bounce without the feet ever leaving the ground. It's in the head/chest movement which dips lower...

JulianImp

The game we're taking to Tokyo Game Show this year has finally launched on Greenlight!

(click on gif to go to the game's Greenlight page)

We're still hard at work on implementing stuff to get the game as close as possible to being finished for TGS, but it's finally at the point where we're really close to having a demo out, so we're really hyped as well. The game designer's been juggling production and GD roles at the same time for quite a while, but now that our Greenlight campaign is mostly ready he can finally go back to devoting more time to create levels.

Despite the somewhat small number of votes so far, we're really happy with the yes/no ratio we've been getting, as well as all the words of encouragement people have posted in the games's comments.

missile

So I'm playing around with physics in unity and I've come across something odd. I'm moving a sphere back and forth, controlled by torque, and have the friction set up so it can spin out at high speeds. I also have it add a force while its in the air to give it some air control. Sometimes when its spinning out it gets a perpendicular force applied to it or something. Basically it makes the ball wobble for a bit. I made a quick video, and it happens at around 25 seconds. Does anyone know what this is? It really messes up the control since it's not consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIu_5_IToR0&feature=youtu.be

edit: Here's a better one. I'm only pressing up and down and then jump gives me more speed to go fast enough to slide. On this one the ball goes kind of whacky, but I'm only adding forces forwards and backwards, with jump being a set velocity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jILV128NQY&edit=vd
Can't see the wobble at around 25 seconds. Can you make a better video and
describe the state of the ball before, during, and after said wobble?

Wow, this gives me hope that 5.4 might not be a total turd. Looks like even releases might be stable-ish, and odd ones are the broken ones?

I'll be making the upgrade tomorrow as well, I think, so hopefully everything goes well.

I've been using various 5.4 beta versions with our project (because I hate myself), and the last few builds have been pretty solid. The public beta period was definitely a good move. Can't say about upgrade pain - I skipped 5.3 because it was a flaming garbage fire when I tried to run our previous game with it.

Finally fixed the visbility issue, thanks to JulianImp's AnimationEvent tip! (Thanks!)

I ended up having to redo animations...again because Unity didn't like me using the Action Editor (the mesh eventually turned into a garbled mess) so I've opted to use just the single animation timeline in Blender.

Fixes I'm trying to do today is finding a way to get the guitar to not be offset from the Left Hand on Unity import.

I might just have to import it in separately (instead of with the model) and parent it to the hand anyway.

Looking for some tips on how to run a closed beta test . I have a demo I would like to get out there and get some decent feedback on , is there sites setup for running such things ?

Anyone here run a test and got some good feedback / bugs ?

i1Wb.png

So I made this and the first row is what the movement is now below it I didn't make a drastic change but I did make it lower the "landing" points. Um, I just wonder how it's going to look since the ground in completely flat so I wonder how I do it without making it look like they're clipping through the floor.

Or am I not understanding correctly. Cause I'm playing Starbound at the moment which does have the vertical movement and... I'm trying to find the sprite sheet so I can see what they do. But the bounce up so I assume there's a frame where the feet aren't touching the ground?

Edit: heh, actually managed to take a screenshot:

k1Wb.png

Yeah, so the feet stop touching the ground... I wonder where that would be applied in mine? If at all. Different sprite so it may not work for every kind.

Edit 2: Looking at C:SoTN, I do see that there's the bounce without the feet ever leaving the ground. It's in the head/chest movement which dips lower...
I've mentioned this before to pretty much everyone needing help with animations despite me only being able to draw stick figures:

Watch videos of people walking. Watch videos of animals. Watch videos of machines.

Feet should leave the ground, the lowest point of the bounce is simple engineering - when legs are farthest apart, the form will be lower vs legs straight up and down. You're not changing the ground collision area - you're just moving the torso down to match the offset angle of the legs.

One of our minibosses' legs and movement was patterned after an ostrich. We watched videos.

Don't just keep winging stuff - research the movement.

Pehesse

Looking to release a demo later this week/early next week, but I could use some early impressions to make sure it works and fix stuff if stuff needs to be fix, so here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp24fmiczwas21e/HoneyUFE_JulyDemo.rar?dl=0

This link will let you download the 64bit version of the demo, install is (supposedly) simple, just use setup.exe and let it do its thing, though feel free to report back if it gives you trouble along the way!

As always, any feedback will be hugely appreciated :-D Thanks to all of you who dare to try it out, and more thanks to those who'll report back their experience!

mStudios

Looking to release a demo later this week/early next week, but I could use some early impressions to make sure it works and fix stuff if stuff needs to be fix, so here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp24fmiczwas21e/HoneyUFE_JulyDemo.rar?dl=0

This link will let you download the 64bit version of the demo, install is (supposedly) simple, just use setup.exe and let it do its thing, though feel free to report back if it gives you trouble along the way!

As always, any feedback will be hugely appreciated :-D Thanks to all of you who dare to try it out, and more thanks to those who'll report back their experience!

👌 👌 👌 I'll get back to you in a few hours

orioto

Good Art™
Hey, progress has been slow cause we've done our own scripts for animating, to control things precisely.

In the meanwhile i redid the jump from scratch to have more visual feedback, after studying some good ol' snes jump.

HampooJumping02.gif

The 3 last frames are meant to be looped for long falls.

Hey, progress has been slow cause we've done our own scripts for animating, to control things precisely.

In the meanwhile i redid the jump from scratch to have more visual feedback, after studying some good ol' snes jump.

HampooJumping02.gif

The 3 last frames are meant to be looped for long falls.

I found myself staring at it since it's so ridiculously cute and serious at the same time. Good work on it!

...I think I'll just straight-up ask for help in writing this particular fragment shader as I'm having a bit of a problem trying to write a version that stays as a single shader.

Something that basically takes the currently rendered scene on the frame buffer and makes it pixelated, assuming square pixels and only the "fake" resolution's height need to be defined...

(I do have it sort of working right now, but it took me three shaders to do what I want it to look like, and it'll break badly if the resolution changes during play.)

In the meantime, I decided to just throw out and redo almost all of my old town tile artwork and... well, I think this looks miles better than it used to look like. (Of course, the layout's different...)

Comparison to the old:

At this rate my game project is probably kind of like vapour ware... :(

BulletTheory

Neo Member
Hey guys, my small indie studio Massive Monster just released a Kickstarter for our game The Adventure Pals! It's kind of like a mash up between Adventure Time and Castle Crashers - ride around the world on your pet giraffe, either on your own or 2 player local co-op, bash up ridiculous enemies and save your dad from being turned into a hot dog. If that sounds up your street, check it out here!

P.S I hope this is the right place to share this, apologies if not!

Hey guys, my small indie studio Massive Monster just released a Kickstarter for our game The Adventure Pals! It's kind of like a mash up between Adventure Time and Castle Crashers - ride around the world on your pet giraffe, either on your own or 2 player local co-op, bash up ridiculous enemies and save your dad from being turned into a hot dog. If that sounds up your street, check it out here!

That premise sounds wonderful <3

I hope you succeed! Always fun to see more things coming up.

We've been on the 5.4 beta for a few weeks now...and just upgraded to the first main 5.4.

Haven't had any problems recently (a couple of weeks ago there were some issues with particle systems, but all fixed now) & there's some great new features in 5.4.

Word of warning though: there are some changes to the prefab format, so prefabs you create in 5.4 won't be compatible with 5.3... so it's a more permanent upgrade than usual!

orioto

Good Art™
Technical question here :)

The first frame of my jump is the taking off, but it plays directly in the air of course so it's weird, cause the jumps starts directly. i've seen jump animations with this kind of first frame on the ground, before the jump. Do they actually delay the jump for one or two frames ? isn't it frustrating ?

The first frame of my jump is the taking off, but it plays directly in the air of course so it's weird, cause the jumps starts directly. i've seen jump animations with this kind of first frame on the ground, before the jump. Do they actually delay the jump for one or two frames ? isn't it frustrating ?

Yes. You delay the jump.

Why would that be frustrating?

Edit: If you mean frustrating for the player - that entirely depends on your game. I couldn't imagine playing Batman on the NES with Mario like controls as much as I couldn't imagine playing Mario with Batman style controls. Completely depends on the game.

Pehesse

For a platformer, it is frustrating! That was a trademark of Infogrames games, and it still lives on in infamy. It might look slightly weird but I'd still recommend immediate take off even if the jump animation has wind up.

Yes. You delay the jump.

Edit: If you mean frustrating for the player - that entirely depends on your game. I couldn't imagine playing Batman on the NES with Mario like controls as much as I couldn't imagine playing Mario with Batman style controls. Completely depends on the game.

It might be passable depending on the length of the pause, but for a platformer where jumping is the main method of action/interaction, having a delayed input feels rather frustrating in most experinces I can recall, unless you really design the rest of the game around that reactivity (or lack thereof) - best example that comes to mind would be the original Prince of Persia, but that's not my first thought when I think "platformer"! (and yeah, I dislike NES Batman controls, give me Gameboy Batman anyday!)

orioto

Good Art™
Yes. You delay the jump.

For a platformer, it is frustrating! That was a trademark of Infogrames games, and it still lives on in infamy. It might look slightly weird but I'd still recommend immediate take off even if the jump animation has wind up.

Yes i guess it depends on the rythm of the game indeed, thx guys!

Lautaro

That looks amazing!

Yes i guess it depends on the rythm of the game indeed, thx guys!
I think the main difference comes in whether platforming in your game is merely the method of navigation, or if you are dodging obstacles and jumping to outmaneuver traps and enemies. If it's the former, jump lag adds a lot of weight and presence. If it's the latter, jump lag adds an extra element to account for when doing jumping puzzles which may seem unfair to certain players.

Compare that to input lag on attack moves for example. Some games have your attack connect just as soon as the button is hit. The shot is instantly fired, the punch is instantly thrown, the kick is instantly out at full. That makes a very arcade like feeling where you kind of just mash the attack button to win, which is fun in some games. Other games take a while for the attack to make purchase. They have a few frames or even a few seconds of windup. In both of these different cases, you have to set up your enemies differently. The player has to be clued in sooner that it's time to attack if her attack is going to take longer to go through. It makes the game more deliberate and slower, but in some cases more rewarding as well.

So if you have some lag in between when the jump button is pressed and when the character actually jumps, then there has to be more time for the player to realize she needs to hit the jump button. In a game with a lot of obstacles and traps, this means slower obstacles or more generous jumping arcs or something the compensate for that.

There are ways to kind of get around this. For example, there's no rule that says a player's hit or has to be exactly where the player's Sprite or model shows they are. If you leave the character's image on the ground for a frame but start moving the hit of away then it can often be a very convincing middle ground that avoids most problems with either side.

orioto

Good Art™
I think the main difference comes in whether platforming in your game is merely the method of navigation, or if you are dodging obstacles and jumping to outmaneuver traps and enemies. If it's the former, jump lag adds a lot of weight and presence. If it's the latter, jump lag adds an extra element to account for when doing jumping puzzles which may seem unfair to certain players.

Compare that to input lag on attack moves for example. Some games have your attack connect just as soon as the button is hit. The shot is instantly fired, the punch is instantly thrown, the kick is instantly out at full. That makes a very arcade like feeling where you kind of just mash the attack button to win, which is fun in some games. Other games take a while for the attack to make purchase. They have a few frames or even a few seconds of windup. In both of these different cases, you have to set up your enemies differently. The player has to be clued in sooner that it's time to attack if her attack is going to take longer to go through. It makes the game more deliberate and slower, but in some cases more rewarding as well.

So if you have some lag in between when the jump button is pressed and when the character actually jumps, then there has to be more time for the player to realize she needs to hit the jump button. In a game with a lot of obstacles and traps, this means slower obstacles or more generous jumping arcs or something the compensate for that.

There are ways to kind of get around this. For example, there's no rule that says a player's hit or has to be exactly where the player's Sprite or model shows they are. If you leave the character's image on the ground for a frame but start moving the hit of away then it can often be a very convincing middle ground that avoids most problems with either side.

Yes interesting read!
I believe in games where you have a.. teinted control anyway, where there is a particular style, something you can feel, even weird sometimes, then you build the level design around those feelings and skill needed. I really believe in that.

But in my game it'll be about timed obstacles ad tight traps etc.. so we need something the more responsive we can anyway. We just tried having the taking off frame really quick at the start, and well you don't see it clearly but it adds to the motion, which is enough i think.

So far Unity 5.4 is solid for me on PC. Improved performance slightly. I still have to test on PS4 but will do that when i go over some deprecation.

So far so good. Getting down with a cup of coffee and putting in work.

Edit:
Well never fucking mind. ParticleSystem.emissionRate is now read only :|
Because you'll never need access to adjust the rate, right? What the fuck?

Well never fucking mind. ParticleSystem.emissionRate is now read only :|
Because you'll never need access to adjust the rate, right? What the fuck?

I had the same issue moving to 5.3. You'll want to read this.

Basically, Unity changed most of the stuff to structs for some reason (well, I mean, probably for performance), but the side effect is that it's now more difficult to work with.

I'm making the move to Unity 5.4 right now. Hopefully it goes as smoothly as it has for everyone else. (Fingers crossed...)

EDIT: Been meaning to do this for a while (I don't think anyone else set one up) but I made a Discord server for IndieDevGAF. Quote this post to see the invite link (at the bottom). It's only good for a day (can't see an option to make a longer one) but it's a start. I figured it'd be good for real-time dev chats that aren't well-suited to a forum.

I had the same issue moving to 5.3. You'll want to read this.

Basically, Unity changed most of the stuff to structs for some reason (well, I mean, probably for performance), but the side effect is that it's now more difficult to work with.

I'm making the move to Unity 5.4 right now. Hopefully it goes as smoothly as it has for everyone else. (Fingers crossed...)

EDIT: Been meaning to do this for a while (I don't think anyone else set one up) but I made a Discord server for IndieDevGAF. Quote this post to see the invite link (at the bottom). It's only good for a day (can't see an option to make a longer one) but it's a start. I figured it'd be good for real-time dev chats that aren't well-suited to a forum.

Thanks for the link. I understand why they did it but hey could have made it a tad easier to work with. The current doc is underwhelming.

But, that's my only real complaint other than feathering in a Space.Whatever now to my translates - I was like "why is everything only going forward/right o_O"

Still have some testing to do but everything seems to be running smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom