• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two questions with regard to a Unity 5.4 project that, yep, I'm still working on all this time...

Is there a way that lets me do something like this?
- render everything that isn't movable objects (background maps) in a scene to a buffer
- do a full-screen image effect/surface (which?) shader on it
- render undistorted movable objects (foreground sprites) to another buffer
- put the undistorted movable objects on top of the distorted background

Was asking because trying to use a surface shader to distort the 2D map mesh generated by Tiled2Unity ends up distorting it per-tile, and I'm trying to find a way that doesn't either kludges it by applying the shader in reverse on movable sprites, or make me have to redo every single tilemap and sprite sheet.

The "borked" effect was interesting, and I might use it as a fight whoosh (bug turned feature!) but this is not my intention for something more mundane like a heat wave, or underwater refraction.

Also, another thing:
I'm trying to find a way to force a lower rendering resolution than the output resolution. Is Display.main.SetRenderingResolution(x, y) what I'm supposed to do? It doesn't seem to have any effect.

I only tried it a bit but Pyxel Edit seems to be great assuming you're into pixel art. It's easy to use, the U.I. looks like Photoshop and it can work with tilesets and animation.

Pyxel edit is what I use, it's a very nice tool with a wide variety of options. However, one thing that I would say as a word of warning is that the Animation tool does not have the ability to insert frames.

Animations are done on the base tile map. E.g Tile 0,0 is one frame, tile 1,0 is the next etc. This means that when creating animations, it can be annoying if you decide you want to add/remove some frames somewhere in the middle of your animation. You need to move the contents of all the surrounding tiles forward/back to accommodate for your changes.

That said, it's a great little tool given the price, and I would recommend it.

Is there a way that lets me do something like this?
- render everything that isn't movable objects (background maps) in a scene to a buffer
- do a full-screen image effect/surface (which?) shader on it
- render undistorted movable objects (foreground sprites) to another buffer
- put the undistorted movable objects on top of the distorted background

You could use separate cameras with appropriate layers and culling masks, and render them manually using the shaders you want. There's also the new postprocessing pipeline which might help, but I haven't yet looked at it closely... it's in 5.5, I think?
Speaking of which, I just tried updating because our project isn't at the critical stage yet, and the increase in compilation speed was noticeable enough on my old laptop that it's worth it for me. No disasters so far.

missile

I love this thread. So many different perspectives on game dev and lovely talented people.
But love can only help you so much. The rest is hard work. xD
Btw; The book I mentioned to you, Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice
in C (Foley, van Dam), take that second edition. The latest, third edition,
is gone somewhat wrong in my opinion, it's sort of an agglomerate of modern
rendering techniques without going any deep. It gives a good overview, but
won't help getting a graphics programmer. The second edition, however,
contains all of the fundamental rendering algorithms needed when doing
graphics from the ground up. This second edition is considered the bible of
Computer Graphics.

You could use separate cameras with appropriate layers and culling masks, and render them manually using the shaders you want. There's also the new postprocessing pipeline which might help, but I haven't yet looked at it closely... it's in 5.5, I think?
Speaking of which, I just tried updating because our project isn't at the critical stage yet, and the increase in compilation speed was noticeable enough on my old laptop that it's worth it for me. No disasters so far.

Layers and culling masks? Hmm... looks like there's more to learn...

Also I think...

Wait, I think the thing just got a lot more complicated. Sometimes the "background" covers the "foreground" sprites due to the way I've done the layers (intentionally so - some parts of the map should cover other layers) and I need to preserve that. Sorry in advance about it.

LordRaptor

Layers and culling masks? Hmm... looks like there's more to learn...

Yeah, multiple cameras is the way to do this - IIRC, there's some shenanigans involved with using multiple image effects on multiple cameras for a final composite image too, so I think you have to have a 'dummy' "final effects compositor" camera whose only job is to add all of the camera render layers together too.

You can basically turn any shader into an image effect that applies to everything a camera can see by creating a script that creates a blank render camera texture on load and then applies the effect to that - I'm pretty sure Unity has a template script to do this in its manual on shaders and image effects somewhere

Yeah, multiple cameras is the way to do this - IIRC, there's some shenanigans involved with using multiple image effects on multiple cameras for a final composite image too, so I think you have to have a 'dummy' "final effects compositor" camera whose only job is to add all of the camera render layers together too.

You can basically turn any shader into an image effect that applies to everything a camera can see by creating a script that creates a blank render camera texture on load and then applies the effect to that - I'm pretty sure Unity has a template script to do this in its manual on shaders and image effects somewhere

Hmm...

and it won't have trouble with "background tile should be in front of sprite" situations?

LordRaptor

Hmm...

and it won't have trouble with "background tile should be in front of sprite" situations?

You can have as many cameras as you want (starred huge disclaimer about performance penalties here) and then composite everything each of those cameras can 'see' in exactly the same way you can create a photoshop image - so you can have a background layer with a blur filter on it, a main layer with anti-aliasing, a glow layer with bloom, and a foreground layer with motion blur or whatever.

You can have as many cameras as you want (starred huge disclaimer about performance penalties here) and then composite everything each of those cameras can 'see' in exactly the same way you can create a photoshop image - so you can have a background layer with a blur filter on it, a main layer with anti-aliasing, a glow layer with bloom, and a foreground layer with motion blur or whatever.

Hmm...

Seems like I'm probably going to do it in this way, not counting the final camera that composites:
1 background map
1 middle active playfield for sprites)
1 foreground map

The foreground map would be irrelevant in the world map or in battles as these use backgrounds that are background-only (confusing, but yeah)

Since there are possible performance implications, do you think it might be a good idea for me to basically only do the camera dance when it's actually needed?

I already know how to apply an image effect to a camera's view, so I'm good there. Just need to see if there are any gotchas about it.

Pehesse

Man, I'm so excited. ENEMIES! It's turning into a game, people!

SoggyBruisedBoutu.gif

Tried to have a flexible customization system: enemies have an extensive number of variables to determine their exact behavior, which should allow to make stuff ranging from fast walking attackers to huge bulking guards to immobile bouncing obstacles used solely for traversal... possibilites!

I've also tried to address Honey's biggest failing in that regard, which was a lack of generic code (yeah, most of the stuff inside was tailored to each specific layout/event, meaning every time I wanted to fix anything that should affect a "generic" behavior I had to go over every layout individually - inexperienceeee). So far, I have a single function call for all damage related stuff, which seems to work pretty well... at least, until I start doing more advanced stuff, so we'll see how that goes. But yeah, progress!

These acrobatics are just wow! How do you make all this stuff, how much hours
you spend a day? I mean, in many other games of this type the characters are
just rotate in some odd ways and that's about it with all the acrobatics. xD
We should make a game together one day! :) Hey, have you ever done something
in 3d? I know it's a thousand times more complex doing something similar in
3d as you do now (that's what the artists told me), but I would be interested
to see how your art style translates into 3d, even for the simplest graphics.
Have you ever tried?

Now how am I supposed to answer that? Thanks a lot, it means a ton! But really, I'm fumbling about and eventually some stuff just happens to work out :-D

Hours spent a day: I couldn't really say, I stopped tracking as I was stressing myself out over tracking them (and more importantly, not getting anything meaningful done instead). I'd say it can vary pretty wildly: 6 hours for light days, 10-12 for intensive ones... I'm a heavy sleeper, so I don't try to go more than that per day else I'm destroyed for a while, even though I feel like a lazy bastard compared to the reports of those working 80h weeks. It's pretty hard to turn off the brain, though, so even when I'm not working on the actual game, I'm thinking about how to get stuff to work, if that counts for anything.

The acrobatics: yeah, that's actually one of the key points I'm interested in and main reasons for making this game: I'd like it to feel like an animated cartoon and feel as visually pleasing as it should hopefully be to play! I'd like the elaborate movement and transitions to be their own form of reward, a kind of "play well and it'll look nice" thing where you'll want to learn how to play to be able to show off, not only through skill, but also through aesthetics. Ideally, I'd love the game to be played/broadcast during AGDQ or other speedrunning segments, and have it be simply fun to watch... but there's a long way to go before that can happen!

Making something together: I *really* appreciate the offer, honestly and seriously - I really suck at teamwork, though, and it's one of the main reasons I work alone now (well, one of them :-D). Still, I'll have to try it again someday, so yeah, maybe? (Ashodin, same reply since you had asked in the Honey topic!)

3D: actually, my first "public" projects were 3D ones! They were the student projects I worked on in 2009-2010, while in game design school: they were both psychological thrillers, the first one aimed to create empathy for a case of trauma, the second one to question the act of killing in a game... both were pretty heavily criticized, both at school and outside, though they were interesting learning experiences :-D If you're really curious, it's super tough and rough to watch and I'm very conflicted as to the merits of their existence now, but here are videos for the two, hidden in spoiler tags:

In both projects I was responsible (read: guilty) for the character modelling and animation. Elle et Moi was my first experience in 3D ever, and I actually did not understand how to rig a 3D model in time back then, so I simply animated everything by moving unconnected bones frame by frame... kind of like traditional clay/stop motion animation in 3D, as ridiculous as it sounds :-D

Since then and after a few other stuff I've pretty much sworn off 3D - I'm working to build up skill in 2D animation because I think it's far more interesting and far less common in the gaming landscape, and I have nothing to add to 3D animation that's not already commonplace out there. Maybe I'll change my mind again down the line, but there's so much I need to figure out in 2D first, it looks pretty unlikely for now!

Regarding complexity: in my experience, 3D wasn't difficult... just tedious! There are plenty of tools to automate huge parts of the work, and the closer you get to "realistic" animation (ie: the current dominant demand), the less interesting it is to me. The question of authorship becomes very muddied when 90% of the work is done by a computer, and I'm not interested in something that doesn't feel "mine" (that links into questions of procedural generation, which some developer friends of mine are huge fans of to the point they say my work could eventually be made only through machines - I don't believe that, and I try to do stuff that *couldn't*). Stylized 3D ALA psychonauts is much more what I'd be after, but even then, animations often rely on motion capture to get "realistic" movements on unrealistic aesthetics - though I hear there have been some forays recently into actual animation, like in Overwatch (deformation techniques and such)?

So.. yeah! I'm afraid I don't have the most positive outlook in regards to 3D (as far as making it - I enjoy playing 3D games just fine, as long as I don't think about making them!), sorry :-D

LordRaptor

Just need to see if there are any gotchas about it.

That's where culling masks come in, so any given camera can only 'see' what its supposed to see, so you don't end up rendering things more times than you need to.

Just having multiple cameras isn't inherently problematic, and probably less so nowadays with deferred rendering techniques - the 'old school' method of making a game in Unity would be having a camera just for main game, a camera just for the UI, a camera for a minimap, a camera for VFX and an upside down camera at lower res for reflections - you can still see elements of how people 'used to do things' in the default hard coded render layers Unity ships with.

missile

Well, these videos are actually quite sick! xD But I like them. Had to watch
them through the end.

That idea of showing off the acrobatics is pretty cool. Running through the
game in style! Yeah, that's nice!

My working hours are quite similar. And I also need my sleeping time, for, I
can't do any math or hard thinking while feeling asleep. Arrgh! Who can?

No problem with the 3d stuff and such. Was just asking. I'm somehow looking
for an artist able to build minimalistic (low-poly) yet very unique / stylized
objects, environments. Anyhow. Will see what the future has to offer.

I know what you mean with all the procedural stuff and friends. And I agree
with you that leaving a signature in 3d is pretty hard. An artist's handwriting
is seen much better in 2d, no doubt about it. That's also the reason why I'm
trying do to it differently in 3d. Pretty much going into the opposite
direction, away from trying to make thinks look realistic, yet I want to have
a coherent system/renderer to draw from, to be able to compose certain
ambients/atmospheres blending into each other as the game progresses.

Thx for the write-up!

missile

rKwt3Hi.gif

Today I've implemented the movement if the pupil which adapts to the
incoming light. It can be seen in the animation that the pupil closed down for
bright objects/scenes and opens for dimmer ones. Well, the pupil diameter is
needed in some human vision computation to better simulate an intended
perception. For example, with a wide open pupil (at night for example) you
will start to experience more glare.

From my computations I found that the eye stops between f/3 and f/5. This
should have an effect on the defocus, for, a more open pupil should produce
a larger defocusing blur when used as the aperture. I have to try that one.

Edit:
For the fun of it, a flash light, stressing the eyes. xD

92BiXFS.gif

Can be seen that the eyes regenerate way too fast from the bright flash.
That's what I'm going to work on after the rods are in place.

Since there are possible performance implications, do you think it might be a good idea for me to basically only do the camera dance when it's actually needed?

Multiple cameras aren't really an issue as long as you don't redraw stuff needlessly. There's probably a little bit of overhead and things in separate cameras can't be combined into one draw call, but that's about it, I think?

Here's a quick grab from our project. There are separate cameras for the background, characters and effects, and the transient comic panels use their own cameras for the background (with blur and color overlay) and characters.

dGRv4Yn.png

Pehesse

Well, these videos are actually quite sick! xD But I like them. Had to watch
them through the end.

That idea of showing off the acrobatics is pretty cool. Running through the
game in style! Yeah, that's nice!

My working hours are quite similar. And I also need my sleeping time, for, I
can't do any math or hard thinking while feeling asleep. Arrgh! Who can?

No problem with the 3d stuff and such. Was just asking. I'm somehow looking
for an artist able to build minimalistic (low-poly) yet very unique / stylized
objects, environments. Anyhow. Will see what the future has to offer.

I know what you mean with all the procedural stuff and friends. And I agree
with you that leaving a signature in 3d is pretty hard. An artist's handwriting
is seen much better in 2d, no doubt about it. That's also the reason why I'm
trying do to it differently in 3d. Pretty much going into the opposite
direction, away from trying to make thinks look realistic, yet I want to have
a coherent system/renderer to draw from, to be able to compose certain
ambients/atmospheres blending into each other as the game progresses.

Thx for the write-up!

You're very welcome!

I like the sound of what you say about 3D, and I do hope you'll manage to make it the way you envision! I unfortunately don't know many people who work with 3D anymore, but if I ever get in touch with one of them again, I'll be sure to direct them your way, we need more non-realistic 3D approaches and I'm sure you have the chops to make it happen :-D

Dlink16

Pyxel edit is what I use, it's a very nice tool with a wide variety of options. However, one thing that I would say as a word of warning is that the Animation tool does not have the ability to insert frames.

Animations are done on the base tile map. E.g Tile 0,0 is one frame, tile 1,0 is the next etc. This means that when creating animations, it can be annoying if you decide you want to add/remove some frames somewhere in the middle of your animation. You need to move the contents of all the surrounding tiles forward/back to accommodate for your changes.

That said, it's a great little tool given the price, and I would recommend it.

Hmm yah I see what you mean. I just picked up PyxelEdit to try it out and while I like the ease of use, that's a bit annoying.

missile

You're very welcome!

I like the sound of what you say about 3D, and I do hope you'll manage to make it the way you envision! I unfortunately don't know many people who work with 3D anymore, but if I ever get in touch with one of them again, I'll be sure to direct them your way, we need more non-realistic 3D approaches and I'm sure you have the chops to make it happen :-D
Yeah thx! I hope I can pull it through. This year will be one of its kind for
me; 1+1=3. :)

missile

Thanks! I haven't had much time or energy to hang around here lately, but I've been staring at your (and Pehesse's, and others) posts with my mouth open and going "man, I'm glad there are people doing that kind of stuff". :p

Might as well link an early teaser while I'm at it.
Thx a lot. Yeah you were somewhat missing over here. Cool teaser btw.

Pehesse

Thanks! I haven't had much time or energy to hang around here lately, but I've been staring at your (and Pehesse's, and others) posts with my mouth open and going "man, I'm glad there are people doing that kind of stuff". :p

Might as well link an early teaser while I'm at it.

Oh wow, a Darkest Dungeon set in space? Sign me up!

Oh wow, a Darkest Dungeon set in space? Sign me up!

That's a pretty common comment... sooo I guess we're doing something very right or very wrong. Earlier we were a bit worried about people seeing the game as too similar to DD (which we also were inspired by), but the gameplay and style should definitely be different enough to stand out. Our artist is into old sci-fi comics, so that has been the biggest influence.

JulianImp

Multiple cameras aren't really an issue as long as you don't redraw stuff needlessly. There's probably a little bit of overhead and things in separate cameras can't be combined into one draw call, but that's about it, I think

Multiple cameras resulted in a huge performance hit for the latest game I was working on (a 2D platformer), forcing us to ditch ProCamera2D's parallax system and using a hand-coded alternative that didn't even require its own camera, as opposed to ProCam requiring a camera per parallax layer, on top of the regular camera.

The biggest issue with multiple cameras is that the render time goes up really fast as screen resolution goes up. For example, I think drawing a 4K camera would take four times longer than rendering it at a 1920x1080 screen resolution, so you can easily see how fast that adds up when you have more than one camera active at any given point.

The biggest issue with multiple cameras is that the render time goes up really fast as screen resolution goes up. For example, I think drawing a 4K camera would take four times longer than rendering it at a 1920x1080 screen resolution, so you can easily see how fast that adds up when you have more than one camera active at any given point.

That's goes into "as long as you don't redraw stuff needlessly", surely? Having multiple fullscreen effects or a lot of overdraw is obviously going to be a big hit (especially on mobile), but separating the scene elements appropriately should be roughly similar to rendering the objects with one camera.

JulianImp

That's goes into "as long as you don't redraw stuff needlessly", surely? Having multiple fullscreen effects or a lot of overdraw is obviously going to be a big hit (especially on mobile), but separating the scene elements appropriately should be roughly similar to rendering the objects with one camera.

We didn't even have any effects, special shaders, postprocessing effects or anything, but removing the multiple cameras used for parallax lowered the rendering time from 70% to 20% according to the profiler.

DNAbro

Able to save to and load from a file now. It doesn't currently change the game when it loads from a file but I'm working on it. Progress!

In a slightly related note, I'm curious about something. How often/how long do you work on your game? I'm especially curious for those who don't do this full time. Sometimes I feel like my progress is way too slow but that might just be cause I'm not working on for a long amount of time.

DemonNite

Able to save to and load from a file now. It doesn't currently change the game when it loads from a file but I'm working on it. Progress!

In a slightly related note, I'm curious about something. How often/how long do you work on your game? I'm especially curious for those who don't do this full time. Sometimes I feel like my progress is way too slow but that might just be cause I'm not working on for a long amount of time.

In the past I worked on my own games after usual working hours mostly and some weekends. Took about a year to release my last one but that included a lot of learning.

Since leaving my job in September, I now work on my new game nearly every day.

Progress is a strange one... some days I spend a day making something new like a new enemy type and get a good working result by the end of the day. Whereas on other days, it's just a small bug fix and in the end it's still not fixed lol. Don't let it fool you though as every bit counts :)

Anyway, you will probably notice each project getting faster results as you get better.

SeanNoonan

Looks great! I agree that the stylization is good, and people will see its got a gameboy feel as soon as they see the trailer.

are you putting the game on steam?
Yep, I'll start on a greenlight campaign as soon as I'm back home from my holidays :D

To those concerned about the stylised artwork, it is intentional - I was aiming for game boy era box art in a similar vein to Kirby or Bomberman. I feel like Shen nailed it.

Feep

Banned
New feature is new, right? :)
I think eye adaptation like this sells a lot better with bloom. Is that difficult under your current rendering system? You could probably do a simple one by storing luminance values and running a gaussian blur pass? (The real way, which I just looked up, involves a very computationally heavy convolvution step so I guess it's all approximated.)

SeanNoonan

I work on AAA games as a job, but do this indie stuff in my spare time. How much of my spare time I dedicate is rather random; some weeks I don't do anything, others I'll spend 4-5 hours a night for the whole week.

I found that when I started to schedule work, I quickly lost interest, feeling it was too close to my day job. Even though this can indeed make a little money, the focus should be on fun. For me anyway :)

asa

Power Hover Steam Release is nearly here! (10th Jan)
https://youtu.be/liFBmqbTUyM"]Link to a short Steam trailer we made for the game.

We are planning to do a several hour long Live stream on Twitch for the Launch day, together with Tree Men games(Pako is also launching on the same day) Going to be playing the games and doing interviews and giving out keys etc.

Anyways, does anyone know what is Neogaf's policy for self promotion, Can I do an topic for the game on the launch day, giving out steam keys and get converasation going about the stream/game(s)?

btw. If anyone want beta keys, PM me, I got few to spare.

Delstius

Anyways, does anyone know what is Neogaf's policy for self promotion, Can I do an topic for the game on the launch day, giving out steam keys and get converasation going about the stream/game(s)?

From the TOS :

E. Self-Promotion and Spam

Do not create new threads promoting a product or service you have any involvement in, or paste PR materials for promotional purposes, or attempt to embed referral links in your posts to generate revenue. If an existing discussion is taking place directly involving something you are associated with, you may participate in order to answer questions, clarify details, and otherwise engage with the community, but as a person, not an advertisement.

LordRaptor

Dammit, should have checked the TOS, thanks. I guess not a good idea to do a thread then. :)

Yo, PM MoreBadass, hes the mod who fucking loves indie games.
Its possible he'll make a promo thread for you, if he finds your game appealing.

e:
And I'm suggesting this because you've posted a lot in this thread and its possible he's already following your work because he lurks this thread - any lurkers waiting on account approval who do their one post promo here then never reappear probably shouldn't try that approach.

asa

Yo, PM MoreBadass, hes the mod who fucking loves indie games.
Its possible he'll make a promo thread for you, if he finds your game appealing.

e:
And I'm suggesting this because you've posted a lot in this thread and its possible he's already following your work because he lurks this thread - any lurkers waiting on account approval who do their one post promo here then never reappear probably shouldn't try that approach.

Oh, I just sent him a private msg about the steam launch, didn't realise he was mod here. I'll sent another message about the launch thing to him later.

I'm always feeling like walking on thin ice when doing the self promo, can so easily turn against you or the forum rules.

LordRaptor

Oh, I just sent him a private msg about the steam launch, didn't realise he was mod here. I'll sent another message about the launch thing to him later.

I'm always feeling like walking on thin ice when doing the self promo, can so easily turn against you or the forum rules.

If he doesn't bite, I'll make a thread for you, because your game appeals to me and there's nothing about other members making threads - I have nowhere near the 'name lure' he does though :p

KOCMOHABT

New feature is new, right? :)

Thought it would be cool to get blinded by very bright objects. I had this idea
for a couple of months now and want to realize some specific gameplay using it.

emj7AJ9.gif

The green skyscraper is supposed to emit a lot of light.

--
Edit:
1HIQTlz.gif

The earth emits as well.

You could use screen space raytracing for your emissives. Since you have such a low resolution that can likely yield good results.

Haven't worked on this for a while, but I wrote something a while back
https://kosmonautblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/02/screen-space-emissive-materials/

dude

dude

I work in the mobile games industry as a day job (not a lot of other gaming opportunities in my country) and I work on my indie efforts in my spare time. I try and have three rather productive sessions a week, but often I'm manage to have only one or two. Sometime progress is slow and some months it'll be super fast, it depends on the state of the game and how much inspiration I have. I'll usually hit the blocks while working on art, because I'd get very perfectionist about it.

Holy moly... I just tried the High Quality compression setting that is now being provided by Unity 5.5.

The pixel art in my game survived really well, with only very minor colour shifts on some pixels. BC7 seems to be a significant improvement compared to DXT5 while being able to be, well, compressed.

Now I'm pondering if I should just enable it on everything that won't look changed... Unity seems to assure that if I'm trying to use it on an unsupported target it'll become uncompressed instead.

missile

I think eye adaptation like this sells a lot better with bloom. Is that difficult under your current rendering system? You could probably do a simple one by storing luminance values and running a gaussian blur pass? (The real way, which I just looked up, involves a very computationally heavy convolvution step so I guess it's all approximated.)
It's not any problem. I will add it on top of it later on, but want to get the
adaptation right before anything else. There are some cool glare effects I
want to implement like the sparks coming out of the light sources at night
(pupil wide open) due to the diffraction grading of the lens.

You could use screen space raytracing for your emissives. Since you have such a low resolution that can likely yield good results.

Haven't worked on this for a while, but I wrote something a while back
https://kosmonautblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/02/screen-space-emissive-materials/
Thx for the comment. Yeah, if we know where the light sources are, guiding the
rays makes the problem much more tractable. I'm already working on a global
illumination algorithm/approximation, too. I'm interested seeing if I can
build sort of a pixelized variant of it. :)

missile

Played with some more texture mapping.

Some people in here wanting to give their latitude and longitude coordinates?
I will then project your avatar on the earth, the one seen in my lastest
animations. :)

DNAbro

Latitude: 29.6516340
Longitude: -82.3248260

It's somewhat close to that at least

I've been playing around with Hammer 2 and it's a fantastic tool! The only problem that I see with it (aside from it being tied to a VR game for an unreleased engine) is that base 2 units feel weird when working with metric. There's this large gap between 256 and 512 that base 10 units handle better.

Pehesse

Tomorrow will be my screenshot saturday gif dump on Twitter, but I'm having too much fun with this one tonight not to share:

DimpledLoathsomeArabianoryx.gif

I was working on "falling platforms" today that fall when you step on them, then rise back to their position to reset puzzles and challenges. That's when it became clear I was basically making Mario's Thwomps, so, uh... well, there they are :-D

EDIT: Can't resist, here's another:

SomberThankfulDairycow.gif

(For those wondering, no, there's no actual physics in there, it's all faked to always get the same consistent result)

Latitude: 45.648377
Longitude: 0.156237
...I think? It's off by a couple of points, mind, since I couldn't get the map to hone squarely on my flat, but you get the idea :-D

Makai

Why do these engines use degrees for rotation? Fractions of tau seem like the most efficient and most intuitive solution.

1.0 - 360
0.5 - 180
0.25 - 90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom