• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone guide me in getting some NeoGAF art assets? Specifically, I need
the NeoGAF ball as a 2d spherical texture map similar as seen here;

owx5Bdh.png

or

KZGyPE8.png

(yet without the grooves)
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/287/31425468864_b1c0b6c3d5_o.png

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/541/31890707020_8c429fbc01_o.png

This work?
What's that?
Unreal Engine 4 has a few different depth of field options, the newest one is CircleDOF, which is a cheap, physically-based alternative to their other blurs. Older versions had less samples and tended to look like this or this at times. It's harder to cause results like that now that they've implemented the Physical Camera and we're not just guessing values.

missile

Just threw together a test level to showcase the adaptive layout mechanic:

https://youtu.be/7DmtMwzvIMo

The trigger can rely either on your current form, or your time spent as either form over the course of the game, or possibly other conditions if I think of interesting ones!
Pleasing to watch. :)

... Unfortunately, many players - especially on Xbox One - considered that as low quality mobile level graphics. I'm adding this new Super style for these players.
Seems the line between low-poly retro and low quality is a fine one. I also
think about this problem ever since, because I'm on a similar track doing
low-poly/retro graphics. I'm pretty sure something unique is needed to really
make low-poly look interesting these days. I, for one, want to try a new
reflection model I'm baking in my mind for a couple of month now, able to give
the flat surfaces a way different/enticing look, hopefully.

See LordRaptor. But can be usefull as well. Thx!

... Unreal Engine 4 has a few different depth of field options, the newest one is CircleDOF, which is a cheap, physically-based alternative to their other blurs. Older versions had less samples and tended to look like this or this at times. It's harder to cause results like that now that they've implemented the Physical Camera and we're not just guessing values.
Got it.

http://i.imgur.com/S5yGFlq.png

any use? Proportions might be a bit off, I'm using a 2:1 w:h ratio which isn't technically correct for a spherical texture ...

UdY7Mj4.gif

Not the best one, but better than nothing! :) Thx! I use 2:1 as well.

LordRaptor

Yeah, someone with some illustrator chops could probably just trace over my effort and get cleaner lines out of it

e:
Also if anyone can be arsed, would be pretty easy to make a normal map to go with it, just make the white pure black and the rest a light grey as a height map and convert to a normal map

e2:
You probably also want to rotate the sphere a bit - I rotated the original image so the texture would tile seamlessly, but the real logo is actually askew

Anyone have success with f2p or micro transactions on consoles? I'm mulling over offering my next title as a f2p game that also contains a flat rate "just buy the game" option to avoid the f2p mechanics and unlock everything as if it were just a traditionally sold game.

I want to be able to open the game up to more players by removing the barrier to entry, while still offering options for players to pay for and support the game via the method they prefer. Any tips for going down this route? I plan on releasing for XB1/PS4, and maybe Switch but conversations for that are moving slowly.

missile

Tried to implement a lens effect, i.e. spherical aberration, where the image
gets more and more out of focus towards the edges.

kPJ42vI.gif

The blur increases form the center out, continuously, whereas the center
could be anywhere on the screen.

@VisceralBowl: Texture already in place. Just have to do the bump-mapping.
Will see if I can pull it up the list, for, I haven't done any bump-mapping
yet, because I want to do it for 2d and 3d (volume textures) in one go using
it to bumpmap 3d procedural textures. But that's is a bit more demanding,
requiring me to implement a general 3d texture mapper (coordinate frame) etc.
and cutting many corners considering bump-mapping these 3d textures. Will see.

Edit:
M5OnJ2p.png

hehe, I'm actually surprised

Technically only the implementation of automatic focus and focus disabling are there, but it's surprisingly easy to get right.

Adding in a "last focused button" to the relevant scripting also affords me to offer a cursor memory option where you can pick if the cursor stays at the last selected item or the default when you exit. Hmm... might consider it after finishing the rest of the menus.

pfkas

How is the game meant to be played?

Bit late to this, been off a while. If you're still interested, I'm currently testing it on android so it's touch screen. Hit the gems as they cross the hit zone in time with the music. All there is to it.

Originally, I wanted to just get a game on Steam (a goal of mine), so the whole thing was rotated slightly so the tunnel is aligned in an 8-way joystick direction. Rotate the joystick to the right angle and hit the corresponding colour on your joypad - bit like Thumper. Might be a bit hard, but that was the idea. Still going to play with that once the android version's out.

KOCMOHABT

Man I forgot how nice it is just to mess around with shaders, throwing together random variables and hope something nice comes out

I'm working on some water for a potential art collaboration with a friend.

SCh33bR.gif

Pehesse

This is obviously not done, but I'm taking a break off it for tonight and could use some advice before I start on it tomorrow, hopefully with fresher eyes.

I'm looking to make several "concept" style illustrations for a number of purposes (it was sorely lacking for Honey, for one: apart from game screens, I had nothing to showcase the game with). One of those goals is to try out potential render styles for the game - the character color/lineart style is pretty defined, as it's tied to my animation technique, but I'm trying stuff out for the background, and I'm actually not sure I'm headed anywhere interesting.

I'd like to break away from the "outline everywhere" style I used in Honey, that's like a rough comics, to go for a more detailed/no outlines look that could pass as animated cartoon, however I feel the contrast between the two here is super strong and doesn't work that well. Maybe with an outlined tree in the foreground it'd help tie it together?

I'll likely try some other things off this image, most likely an alternate version with complete outlines everywhere just to see how it'd be, but I wanted to know at this stage your thoughts on this direction, despite it being obviously incomplete: for the illustration, for the game, for your eyes, for whatever. Does it burn? Does it look interesting? What should I change/try out/remove? Is there too much detail/not enough? Is the detail style too rough, not naturalistic enough, too detailed/not cel shaded enough? I'm not sure I can tell anymore, so I'll rely on your thoughts to pick it up tomorrow!

0be453fb-ad26-411f-9ceb-4363b49fa21a.jpg

Popstar

I think that you're correct that outlining the tree in the foreground would help tie it together. It would also help in separating the foreground from the background in the actual game.

You'd end up with something similar to Wario Land: Shake It!

Pehesse

I think that you're correct that outlining the tree in the foreground would help tie it together. It would also help in separating the foreground from the background in the actual game.

You'd end up with something similar to Wario Land: Shake It!

Thanks a lot! I think you're right and I'll try that sooner rather than later.

I also never took a close look to Wario Land: Shake it before, and I definitely see there are a number of hints I should take from it now, so thanks for the reference as well!

Lautaro

I've been working in a main hub for Beastmancer. Its a harbor town called Nusquam, here's a short clip of it: https://streamable.com/lkzi8

I still need to fill it with NPCs, loot, stores, etc. but the static objects are ready: it has slums, a market and a high class district.

missile

This is obviously not done, but I'm taking a break off it for tonight and could use some advice before I start on it tomorrow, hopefully with fresher eyes.

I'm looking to make several "concept" style illustrations for a number of purposes (it was sorely lacking for Honey, for one: apart from game screens, I had nothing to showcase the game with). One of those goals is to try out potential render styles for the game - the character color/lineart style is pretty defined, as it's tied to my animation technique, but I'm trying stuff out for the background, and I'm actually not sure I'm headed anywhere interesting.

I'd like to break away from the "outline everywhere" style I used in Honey, that's like a rough comics, to go for a more detailed/no outlines look that could pass as animated cartoon, however I feel the contrast between the two here is super strong and doesn't work that well. Maybe with an outlined tree in the foreground it'd help tie it together?

I'll likely try some other things off this image, most likely an alternate version with complete outlines everywhere just to see how it'd be, but I wanted to know at this stage your thoughts on this direction, despite it being obviously incomplete: for the illustration, for the game, for your eyes, for whatever. Does it burn? Does it look interesting? What should I change/try out/remove? Is there too much detail/not enough? Is the detail style too rough, not naturalistic enough, too detailed/not cel shaded enough? I'm not sure I can tell anymore, so I'll rely on your thoughts to pick it up tomorrow!

0be453fb-ad26-411f-9ceb-4363b49fa21a.jpg
First, it would be better if the picture would be complete, i.e. with the
mountain to the left colored as needed, for, human perception works on
relative quantities. However, the image looks flat nevertheless, it needs more
depth cue and contrast. The stuff in the foreground needs more contrast and
needs to be a tad darker (esp. the tree with the girl) for the blending effect
to work. With the bright sun in the sky the eyes will adapt to it (auto
exposure) making the surrounding somewhat darker. So the bright shades esp.
on the lower part of the tree in the foreground won't match the bright sun
under human perception. A little more bloom is also needed around the sun.
The top of the mountain, the left most part of the upper brunch, and parts of
the girl (head to some degree, and the left arm) needs to be covered with some
more bloom from the sun. And if you don't want to separate the objects with an
outline, you may try using stronger (color) contrast to separate them if the
scene/objects allow to do so.

missile

Man I forgot how nice it is just to mess around with shaders, throwing together random variables and hope something nice comes out

I'm working on some water for a potential art collaboration with a friend.

SCh33bR.gif
That's nice.

I think the dynamics of liquids is still the most stunning phenomena there
is. Up to this date there is no full understanding how it really works. It's
even unknown whether the governing equations (NSE) have a meaningful and
unique solution at all. And, what's also quite interesting, a professor of
mine has proofed that the vortex cores don't have whole dimensions, i.e. they
are fractional.

Bit late to this, been off a while. If you're still interested, I'm currently testing it on android so it's touch screen. Hit the gems as they cross the hit zone in time with the music. All there is to it.

Originally, I wanted to just get a game on Steam (a goal of mine), so the whole thing was rotated slightly so the tunnel is aligned in an 8-way joystick direction. Rotate the joystick to the right angle and hit the corresponding colour on your joypad - bit like Thumper. Might be a bit hard, but that was the idea. Still going to play with that once the android version's out.
Thx for the explanation. Yeah, would be much cooler with the tunnel rotating
and with the "end" of the tunnel moving around such that you may see the gems
at last second at times.

Pehesse

First, it would be better if the picture would be complete, i.e. with the
mountain to the left colored as needed, for, human perception works on
relative quantities. However, the image looks flat nevertheless, it needs more
depth cue and contrast. The stuff in the foreground needs more contrast and
needs to be a tad darker (esp. the tree with the girl) for the blending effect
to work. With the bright sun in the sky the eyes will adapt to it (auto
exposure) making the surrounding somewhat darker. So the bright shades esp.
on the lower part of the tree in the foreground won't match the bright sun
under human perception. A little more bloom is also needed around the sun.
The top of the mountain, the left most part of the upper brunch, and parts of
the girl (head to some degree, and the left arm) needs to be covered with some
more bloom from the sun. And if you don't want to separate the objects with an
outline, you may try using stronger (color) contrast to separate them if the
scene/objects allow to do so.

Wow, thanks a lot for the detailed points and explanations!

missile

Wow, thanks a lot for the detailed points and explanations!

Just want to say the art looks cool no matter what. I mean, that girl hanging
in the tree looks pretty cool. No doubt about it. :) The perspective feels so
good, yet I would size her a tad smaller with respect to the tree.

Jobbs

Banned
All of the alternate weapons in my game come from hunters who traveled to the world hoping to collect a bounty. Sometimes they're already dead when you encounter them, other times not. Sometimes you can speak to them as friendlies, other times not. In a way somewhat inspired by Bloodborne, I wanted, at least to the extent that was possible, for hunters to seem similar to the player. Obviously this isn't totally possible due to my own limitations in designing AI, but there are some things I can do.

If you revisit a particular early game area when backtracking through later, this character will now be there:

Example gif

He's capable of targeting the other enemies (you can see his current target by the debug text over their head) and he can track and aim at the player. When he runs out of ammo he has to reload, which is a good time to attack. If you kill him you can take that weapon for yourself.

(Not all hunters are immediately hostile to the player, this one is just an asshole.)

missile

All of the alternate weapons in my game come from hunters who traveled to the world hoping to collect a bounty. Sometimes they're already dead when you encounter them, other times not. Sometimes you can speak to them as friendlies, other times not. In a way somewhat inspired by Bloodborne, I wanted, at least to the extent that was possible, for hunters to seem similar to the player. Obviously this isn't totally possible due to my own limitations in designing AI, but there are some things I can do. ...
Cool. Makes the world more alive.

Meanwhile:
Some more work on the cones, their sensitivity, and auto-exposure.

AhxS7vY.gif

Look how the background darkens as the scene gets brighter. Or how it turns
darker with the flash lighting up. You might not even recognize the effect if
not being told. It's so subtil, yet so important.

Still no adaption rates implemented, for, you wouldn't recover so fast from a
flash in a dark scene. These rates will be cool for games/gameplay. I want to
use it in a game of mine such that you need to run for cover for not getting
blinded from an enemy at night making you blindfolded for a couple of seconds
when getting "flashed". So you may need to approach from another path getting
close. Stuff like that.

Still working on the rods, too. With the rods working, much finer light levels
can be discriminated if it is getting darker and darker. Well, basically, the
rods make the stars come out at night. So for a game this means being able to
have very faint lights which aren't visible at daylight but become visible at
night. So for example, objects getting illuminated or reflecting/emitting just
a couple of photons will become visible at very low light levels, and even
more so as the eyes get dark adapted further and further.

The rods need a little more work, for, they have a different spectral
sensitivity I want to reproduce as well. For example, if it's getting darker
the brightness perception changes over the spectrum (i.e. blue getting
brighter and red much darker, perceptional-wise) and the colors desaturate in
a certain fashion (producing sort of a pastel look) and turning gray if the
light levels falls below a given level with the cones shutting down and with
them the perception of color.

I hope it all will turn out as something cool, and pleasing to watch on a
perceptional level.

missile

Got a lil bored today (not enough working hours to dive deep) so I tired
putting some simple stuff together for the, well, fun of it. I wanted to
put my pixelized blur to some other use and came up with some fuzzy glass
effect. Don't know what it's worth, but that's how it looks like;

9x9rgtD.gif

DemonNite

Got a lil bored today (not enough working hours to dive deep) so I tired
putting some simple stuff together for the, well, fun of it. I wanted to
put my pixelized blur to some other use and came up with some fuzzy glass
effect. Don't know what it's worth, but that's how it looks like;

9x9rgtD.gif

thats pretty neat. How about doing some pixelized object motion blur? :)

First post *nervous*

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GVjchRv.png[/IMG]

"Rex: Another Island"

Over the last two weeks I've been working on a basic hop-and-bop platformer centered around the idea of a big open world, where you do generic platformer traversal to reach "dungeons" that are more manicured traditional levels. There's a fast-travel shrine system to make backtracking easier, 5 gems to collect for a "true end", exactly 777 coins to find, and that's about it really.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/G9StqXD.png[/IMG]

An old version of the full overworld map, and some closer shots of some of the "dungeons".

My main inspirations are old CGA/NES games, hence the simple art. That, and I'm not much of an artist.

As I'm not a programmer either, I'm using Construct2, which I'd never used before this project. Part of why the game is so simplistic, is because I'm using it as a 'calibration' test, to see if I want to keep using Construct2. I'd only made one other game before, a rather difficult tricky platformer called Muu, using Stencyl. It was also a calibration project, and I'd never used Stencyl before.

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/8556075b646b40b1335f6ddc65e2eed9/tumblr_ojqgqrLohd1w13v5ro1_540.gif[/IMG] 

[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/e3cdc90e12d12dcaaf740016b1f8b0c9/tumblr_ojl8e8U4U41w13v5ro1_1280.gif[/IMG] 

[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/ce4017dcb9913a86e651b3119f9c7415/tumblr_ojl1blbTs71w13v5ro1_1280.png[/IMG]

I've got a friend doing the music (who also did the music for Muu), but everything else is being done by me.

I've no real plans for the game now that it's basically done - just waiting on music and doing some polish - but I hope to apply what I've learned to my next project. Once the music is in I'll post a download link. It's a short game, only like 20 minutes to finish, a bit longer if you want to 100% it. It's not very hard, in spite of how it might look.

I'm pretty proud of what I've managed in such a short time, and I think the game is pretty decent as far as simple platformers go. So far my experience with Construct has been great, I can see myself using it for all my future projects.

MrHoot

Hey guys, it's been a while ! Been somewhat on a break on my project (To work on other stuff, and also cuz I needed some time off) and now scrounging to get back to work.

Not much new to show, although pleased to say we're now moving to the new engine for actual production. Also i've updated the look of the main char a bit. Mostly better antlers, more defined hair and pulsing veins. Oh and we'll render the animations at 60fps now too

980676a995.gif

Jobbs

Banned
okay, all done. :)

as usual it took me longer than expected.. but I have full sounds for him, all the obvious cheesing/bugs fixed, and he can be killed.

I put in a bunch more fireworks

7MVgAVm.gif

Note that if you defeat him he enters a defeated state -- down but not out -- you can interact to get his weapon, but it's up to you if you want to finish him off or not. This choice may have consequences later.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well i guess i'll post a sneak peek of something i'm working on,does it look good enough? The red/yellow thing is lava(blurred beacuse of the heat) in case it's not clear lol! Take into account that's really early, so it's all work in progress, the ground lacks a border(i'm not going to make it so straight! XD) the ui is temp the sprite isn't finished and so on, also the sprite is more red than normal because of the atmosphere.
aaa.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom