• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out the best ways of making art assets colourable at run time based on user selection, like in an RPG where the player can choose colours for skin, hair and clothing and so on. I'm interested in sprites primarily, but also curious about how it works in 3d.

I thought it would be quite simple and you could just have the user choose a single colour that acts as a tint, or perhaps choose a two colour gradient to map to. But I was looking at the way the infinity engine games did things, and they actually define various 12 colour gradients you can see here: http://gibberlings3.net/iesdp/appendices/colourgradients.htm

These are used with a sprite that starts out like this:

CHFF4A5_zpsxb8clufs.png

As you can see the original image has a limited palette where each separate region generally consists of a 12 colour gradient which maps onto the user selected one. (I think they also had some scheme for mixing layers but couldn't say exactly how.) I was thinking about putting all these available gradients in a texture and looking it up in the fragment shader which seems quite simple.

I'm still a bit in the dark about how they created the image in the first place, that is how to render something in this readily colourable format with everything belonging to the remap-able gradient. (Perhaps this is easy, but I'm just a developer this is one of the daft disadvantages of trying to program an art pipeline without any actual art.)

missile

Pretty proud how my pixelized soft-shadow looks. On high-dpi devices the eye
integrates this shadow out all by itself, hence, there is perhaps no need for
any smoothing esp. when viewing the images from a distance. However,
performance-wise it's extremely fast nevertheless (after some lengthy
pre-computations) compared to the case of fully integration over the
hemisphere. I still think I can improve on it by further trying to reduce
the pixel clusters you may see at the transition from the penumbra into
the umbra.

That's how it looks at native resolution;
o7g9jXA.png

---
Edit: 4x super-sampled (from 1920x1920)
5vVkIP3.png

---

---
Edit II: For the fun of it. With some pixelized DOF;
k4rzRqq.png

+ 4x super-sampled;
H94VyiD.png

From a distance these two pictures look very similar.
---

Without soft-shadows;
3Gr6waK.png

Tain

Sorry if this has already been asked and I missed it, but do you have any future game ideas for your renderer? (which looks awesome btw)

missile

Sorry if this has already been asked and I missed it, but do you have any future game ideas for your renderer? (which looks awesome btw)
Oh yes, it's pretty much the game behind driving it all. Can wait applying it!
However, I still have to develop much more stuff. I'm not there, yet.

LordRaptor

I'm trying to figure out the best ways of making art assets colourable at run time based on user selection, like in an RPG where the player can choose colours for skin, hair and clothing and so on. I'm interested in sprites primarily, but also curious about how it works in 3d.

Yeah, this is probably best done as a shader in both cases; for 2D it would function similarly to how a photoshop 'replace colour' would, where you have a base colour like pure magenta that you would never actually use, and then define an array of substitute colours as replacements.
I assume the example you found is in gradient format so that it allows for shading within those 'base colours', but if you were using an alternative method for shading (eg physical light based such as with Sprite Lamp or similar, or via a greyscale overlay sprite) it could be a literal 1:1 transposition.

For 3D its much the same, but you have a few choices - you can use a texture comprised of "to remap" colours, which would work identically to the 2D example, or you could bake the colours into the actual mesh using vertex colours, and use that data to remap (which would then let you use non recolourable textures on top of remapping the vertex colours)

wondermega

question for UnityGaf: if I've got an animated gameObject with, say, SEVERAL (disabled) gameObject children, will that affect performance?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
For a Minecraft-style dynamic block world in UE4, any opinions on using (heirachical) instanced static meshes for the various block types vs creating the faces with UProceduralMeshComponent?

It would be fixed size rather than having infinite procedural generation, if that matters.

It seems like UProceduralMeshComponent would offer more flexibility, but I'm not sure if that would clobber performance.

Edit: yeah, it looks like it would clobber performance.

missile

good to see all that pixelized stuff again :D good stuff
Yeah! :) But it only looks that way on low-res. It disappears on high-res seen
at a distance (which is good, actually, for not wasting too much resources for
such (usually) very expensive effects).

I thought it would be quite simple and you could just have the user choose a single colour that acts as a tint, or perhaps choose a two colour gradient to map to. But I was looking at the way the infinity engine games did things, and they actually define various 12 colour gradients you can see here: http://gibberlings3.net/iesdp/appendices/colourgradients.htm

These are used with a sprite that starts out like this:

CHFF4A5_zpsxb8clufs.png

As you can see the original image has a limited palette where each separate region generally consists of a 12 colour gradient which maps onto the user selected one. (I think they also had some scheme for mixing layers but couldn't say exactly how.) I was thinking about putting all these available gradients in a texture and looking it up in the fragment shader which seems quite simple.

I'm still a bit in the dark about how they created the image in the first place, that is how to render something in this readily colourable format with everything belonging to the remap-able gradient. (Perhaps this is easy, but I'm just a developer this is one of the daft disadvantages of trying to program an art pipeline without any actual art.)

Shading out of a gradient palette is a bit more demanding. It was called
index/palette/8-bit shading where you had all your artistically crafted shades
sitting in a given color palette.

However, there were basically two distinct methods working with palettes.

One is where you organized the palette (say 256 colors) like an RGB cube,
which would give quite some many shades, like 2^6 (64 shades per color
channel)*3 = 192 colors, or you could weigh the three channels a bit
differently (giving less weight to blue for example) leading to a better
utilization of the color palette entries (but in that case you never got true
grays again, which wasn't a big issue). The main advantage for using a
quantized RGB cube as a color palette was that you could compute the shading
in > 8 bit (indexed), say 15, 16, or 24 bit (RGB) and use that color as an
index into the palette getting a good low-bit color value for whatever
high-bit RGB color you have computed. This has the advantage that you can
change the colors as well as the colors of the light sources at will within
the game because you always find a good match within the palette with the very
important benefit of doing essentially no input dependent computation at all,
that is to say; no search through the palette is required! So if the game uses
a lot of different colors which all get shaded and mixed with color of the
light source(s), then this approach can't get any better. However, the
downside is when you need much less colors and lots of shades for these few
colors. In that case you will notice some banding within the game because the
shades aren't likely in the palette putting the dithering method (if used)
unter heavy fire.

The issues above lead us to another method for shading out of a palette
which was used much more often, which is more in line with limited hardware
capabilities. And also because computing the shades in 16 or 24-bit (RGB)
and later quantized them down into a palette is a pretty good waste of
resources. But there were cases where the CPU was quite faster yet the dislay
couldn't show all colors (VGA).

The second approach works differently and basically resamples the gradient
shading you see at times. However, there are many different variants thereof.
Well, this approach is more artist friendly because it lets the artist set the
specific colors and shades needed, i.e. a working color palette. However, all
these colors and shades also need to fit into the limited (hardware) color
palette (say 256, but today you can choose whatever size you need). Ok. Now
say the artist picks a color (s)he want to use in the game, seen as a base
color, and also sets the needed shades for that color. All those shades now
need to be put into the color palette. However, to ease the shading later on,
and to reduce the computational load (in orders of magnitude), all these
shades needs to be put into the palette in a special order. And it is here
where the gradient comes into play. You put these colors in sequence, say
ascending with respect to brightness, forming your gradient. This gradient is
then placed into the color palette. Repeat for other colors and shades as long
as there is room left. Ok. Now how to shade an 2d/3d object with such a
palette? This seems to be a bit tricky.

Well, within the game every object gets a base "color", yet you won't assign
the color itself but the index of the darkest shade of that color it has on
the color table, say base_index. Now if you shade the object, say depending on
the angle it makes with a light source, dot(L,N), then you scale the range
[0,1] to as many entries the gradient consists of. Say the artist has build a
gradient of 5 shades for green. Then you do an int(dot(L,N)*4 + 0.5). That
means, the angle between the light and the normal takes on a value k between 0
and 4, an offset. Now your object has the index of the darkest color stored.
To actually get the correct shaded color out of the color palette you just add
the indices together, i.e. color = color_palette[base_index + k]. This is
possible only because we sorted the shades beforehand! If an object (face,
triangle, etc.) faces the light close to normal, say dot(L,N) = 0.9, we want
the brightest shade. Hence, k = int(0.9*4+0.5) = int(3.6+0.5) = int(4.1) = 4.
Now if we go 4 entries further down in the color palette starting at index
base_index of the object, we get the brightest shade, i.e.
color_palette[base_index+4]. That's the color going to be displayed by the
hardware/driver, as it was usually done.

From the above you can see that switching the gradient would re-shade your
object with the new gradient no problem. :)

The above is the easiest approach of this type of index shading. It's main
advantage is that you can pick specific colors which are really needed in the
game and as such utilizing the color palette entries much better contrary to
the RGB palette explained above. It's also fast (well, it was fast). The
downside is that you can't have colored light sources, because, as you can
see, index shading has no color channels, it's just an integer, you basically
never touch the color, just the index. The color of the light (say white) is
indirectly baked into the color palette, i.e. into the gradients. Transparency
is also an issue.

However, index shading can be extended like crazy. You can have some colored
lights, transparency/mixing, and as much shades per entry as the color table
is long, for each entry. All this can be realized by computing additional
tables and by combining indices in some special ways. Well, it's up to you how
you compute k. For example, to realize some sort of transparency you define a
table saying what index will result for two given input indices. That is to
say, you define what color should be the result given two input colors. Back
in the days these tables were called priority color tables. It is here where
the famous Glenz Vectors (demoscene) have their roots, i.e. transparency on
old hardware without doing any (cycle-killing) blending operation. It was feat!

Hope it helps.

DemonNite

Not posted an update for weeks but I've been hard at work trying to nail the outdoor hub area look and feel. Finally happy with it (minus extra details and the lead-in route for this hub)

I started to plot out the Greybox and Crypt locations for each Dungeon. There are shafts, lifts and stairs not visible from this angle that lead underground via each entrance.

se08Jiz.png

After that I put it in and started to texture and light it up with the existing code I had:

8p62yQch.jpg

5OyGXV4h.jpg

bFgjoggh.jpg

And then finally the end result in engine:

DelayedVastGrayling.gif

GraveVioletIchthyostega.gif

Yeah, this is probably best done as a shader in both cases; for 2D it would function similarly to how a photoshop 'replace colour' would, where you have a base colour like pure magenta that you would never actually use, and then define an array of substitute colours as replacements.
I assume the example you found is in gradient format so that it allows for shading within those 'base colours', but if you were using an alternative method for shading (eg physical light based such as with Sprite Lamp or similar, or via a greyscale overlay sprite) it could be a literal 1:1 transposition.

For 3D its much the same, but you have a few choices - you can use a texture comprised of "to remap" colours, which would work identically to the 2D example, or you could bake the colours into the actual mesh using vertex colours, and use that data to remap (which would then let you use non recolourable textures on top of remapping the vertex colours)

Hope it helps.

Thanks for these detailed thoughts. I'll take a moment to digest and then see where I get to.

Tricktale

Neo Member
Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I last posted anything, but I've been keeping an eye on this thread and you guys are creating some really awesome looking stuff. Keeps me motivated, so thanks :)

The solo game I've been working on is really coming along nicely now, even though it's been through so many revisions that I've lost count.
It's still unnamed, but the complete feature list, including all gameplay elements are pretty much complete on paper, with many already implemented in game.

As the game is pretty damn massive to be working on it solo, I've had to come up with a few ways of speeding up my workflow, which has taken a lot of effort, but have paid off and are saving me a lot of time and effort, such as creating a custom triplanar shader that textures 95% of the game without me having to worry about UV mapping my models. Using TopMod to create interesting fractal shapes that can be modified to create alien-looking geometry. And sculpting voxel-based environments and converting them to meshes in Blender, with a selection of modifiers to produce natural-looking rocky environments.

I'm looking forward to sharing a lot more information soon, including gameplay info, but here are a few screengrabs without GUI of some of the more complete looking bits:

jw0S4an.png

x8VYSJA.png

ZMWoz0e.png

LordRaptor

Thanks for these detailed thoughts. I'll take a moment to digest and then see where I get to.

I've actually been putting off looking into runtime recolouring as its a thing I need to do myself, so I made a quick prototype using vertex colours and a shader if you want to see how it works that way - doesn't seem to work properly in chrome though

Worked on something a little different recently!
Lachlan Cartland - a very talented artist and myself - collaborated on a Twine game called

DRIVEROTIC
PresentPlainBuckeyebutterfly.gif

It was really fun to make some music for something other than Beacon!
If you like the tracks, you can grab them here:
https://axionmusic.bandcamp.com/album/driverotic

All the proceeds made will be donated to Stonewall, A UK-based LGBT rights charity, so if you can support it that would be aweeeesssoommmee

Tregard

Soothsayer
Hello all! So me and a small team have been working on our second phone game for a month or so now, it's called !Kablam at the moment, and it's a bomb defusal game in which you need to stop any of the numbers on screen from hitting 0.

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to play a test version we currently have for Android and give us some feedback? It's difficult for us to have any constructive criticism for one another when we're within the echo chamber of our workspace!

This looks wonderful :) What's the theme? Vampire Hunting?

LordRaptor

This is the lobby system we've been struggling with. Taking good pictures of a dark game from within Unity is a pain to say the least:

You can create your own bullshots as direct screengrabs from a running unity game, then tweak the gamma in an external editor;
Code:
using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class Bullshot : MonoBehaviour
{
    public int bullshotLevel=4;
    void Update()
    {
        if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.F5))
        {
            string screenshotname = "Bullshot " + System.DateTime.Now.ToString() + ".png";
            screenshotname = screenshotname.Replace("/", "_").Replace(":", ".");
            Application.CaptureScreenshot(screenshotname, bullshotLevel);
            print(screenshotname + " Saved");
        }
    }
}
Stick this on your camera, and in game hit F5 to dump a 4x res screenshot into your project folder root directory - the bullshot level is a public var so you can lower it - 1 will grab you a native res screengrab (but if you're grabbing for promo purposes, why not supersample bullshot like the big guys do??? ;) )

_Rob_

You can create your own bullshots as direct screengrabs from a running unity game, then tweak the gamma in an external editor;
Code:
using UnityEngine;

{
    void Update()
    {
        {
        }
    }
}
Stick this on your camera, and in game hit F5 to dump a 4x res screenshot into your project folder root directory - the bullshot level is a public var so you can lower it - 1 will grab you a native res screengrab (but if you're grabbing for promo purposes, why not supersample bullshot like the big guys do??? ;) )

This is incredibly helpful! I have a pretty old rig and have to render everything at 720p for it to run smoothly, so to be able to take proper 1080p or above shots will be awesome. Thank you!

Minamu

Code:
using UnityEngine;

{
    void Update()
    {
        {
        }
    }
}
:lol This is amazing :D Does it work inside the editor as well? If I attach it to a camera while working on the maps, but not actually playing? Our game is a third person game but I need free-flying bullshots for the info menu you saw above.
I'll probably have to rebalance camera and shadow draw distance each time though :/

embalm

Going to PAX East this past weekend has gotten me inspired, so I've been prototyping a bunch.
Would you mind going into some details on how you did this?

I just wrote a follower script, but it's pretty bare bones compared to this. I only move the followers when the player is moving and they target the space behind their leader. It's a congo line of characters for an RPG.

Your follower doesn't seem to be using the player inputs to navigate itself. It takes a tiny shortcut and still falls appropriately. It also handles much more advanced movement/animation with the jumping and falling.

LordRaptor

Does it work inside the editor as well?

The docs suggest it does, but then goes on to talk about creating a specific editor window just for doing so - I haven't tried myself, but I'd assume adding [ExecuteInEditMode] and making sure you have the game window selected would work though...?

If I'm grabbing screenies, I usually don't manually grab, I'll put capturescreenshot on a timer and just play for a bit, then go through and pick out the better looking ones

Minamu

The docs suggest it does, but then goes on to talk about creating a specific editor window just for doing so - I haven't tried myself, but I'd assume adding [ExecuteInEditMode] and making sure you have the game window selected would work though...?

If I'm grabbing screenies, I usually don't manually grab, I'll put capturescreenshot on a timer and just play for a bit, then go through and pick out the better looking ones
Cool, I'll check it out :)

Roubjon

Would you mind going into some details on how you did this?

I just wrote a follower script, but it's pretty bare bones compared to this. I only move the followers when the player is moving and they target the space behind their leader. It's a congo line of characters for an RPG.

Your follower doesn't seem to be using the player inputs to navigate itself. It takes a tiny shortcut and still falls appropriately. It also handles much more advanced movement/animation with the jumping and falling.

As of now it's still super basic because there is no real path finding AI. If I was to stick a tall height block between me and the the second luigi, he wouldn't know how to get around it and would keep walking into the wall.

What I do have now is pretty simple. It's telling my follower to move up if the player is above him, down if the player is below him, up-right if the player is at all to his diagonal, etc... But what I did was make it so if the follower only starts moving if he is outside a certain radius from the player. Also, when he starts to move, his goal is to get to a smaller radius from the player than the one he referenced before when he was programmed to begin moving. It makes it feel more natural and allows the player to move a bit without the follower breathing down their neck. I also made it so there is a slight delay to his movement, so it looks like he's reacting to my movement and not just emulating it 100%.

DemonNite

Updated all the static trees to "speedtree friendly" now for added atmosphere. Also dropped in several grave dwellers. Still not sure if I require interactive NPCs in this HUB area yet but it's something I keep thinking about

SilverGrossGalago.gif

I'm happy with where it is at now and will return back to those dungeons for much needed attention

Jobbs

Banned
I did something that I've wanted to do for a long long long long long time

I reworked my low level mutants from the early game area. They can now do a bunch more stuff and have more complicated behavior. They can drop off cliffs, navigate slopes, do melee attacks, have aggro and non aggro states.. All stuff they lacked before. Hell, they didn't even have a turn around animation before.

haST1dl.gif

I also added more impact blood.

They can also mutate. Each different type of zombie has at least one infested mutation that alters their behavior/abilities. In this case he gains a ranged attack.

l0GFYMJ.gif

Švejk

I reworked my low level mutants from the early game area. They can now do a bunch more stuff and have more complicated behavior. They can drop off cliffs, navigate slopes, do melee attacks, have aggro and non aggro states.. All stuff they lacked before. Hell, they didn't even have a turn around animation before.
I'm new here, but if you don't mind me asking, are you using Flash for your NPC animations? The textures look great!

Jobbs

Banned
I'm new here, but if you don't mind me asking, are you using Flash for your NPC animations? The textures look great!

Thank you! The animations are done in photoshop.

What do you guys use to make gifs?

There are different ways. Gifcam is the fastest and easiest -- If I need the best possible quality I'll record in fraps, process the video into frames in virtual dub, then import them into photoshop and make them into a gif.

Pehesse

haST1dl.gif

They can also mutate. Each different type of zombie has at least one infested mutation that alters their behavior/abilities. In this case he gains a ranged attack.

l0GFYMJ.gif

Saw the mutation gif on twitter the other day, but the explanation makes it sound even more interesting. And it's always a good idea to go back to spruce up the earlier parts of the game - you're reaching an amazing level of polish, it's impressive (and a bit daunting)!

Direct capture in gifcam for simple gifs, or capture through bandicam, then record from HD video with gifcam. But basically: gifcam! :-D

These are this week's animations for Pacha, basically the walk cycle edition:

ImperfectFoolishHound.gif

...and those might actually be my last update for a while, as it appears the animation test from earlier successfully went through. Still a bit unreal, and I won't feel comfortable until the contract is fully signed and I've received my first assignment, but yeah, looks like I might have to put Pacha on hold for a while - I'm not sure I'll get the chance to make much progress on it in parallel to an actual animation job, but who knows! We'll see! New experiences, and all that!

Orodreth

Hi everyone!

I'd like to share the game we've been working on at my own company for quite some time. It´s called Sorgina: A Tale of Witches.

It's a classic puzzle-platformer, aimed mainly at kids, based on the pretty unknown folklore / mythology of my region (Basque Country).

The main protagonist is a witch apprentice and as you progress in the game you unlock new magic abilities/skills (enlarge, reduce, move, freeze,...) to manipulate objects in the scenery and solve the puzzles.

Here are some screenshots:

Sorgina_04_Laminzulo-09.jpg

Sorgina_05_Zugarramurdi_19.jpg

Sorgina_07_Tartaloetxe_02.jpg

The locations are based on real landmarks from our region for the most part, and as you can see we approached the style by using assets adapted to lowpoly and trying to keep a vibrant, bit cartoon touch, in order to keep it attractive for kids.

Development (in Unity) is pretty much finished and we are now trying to get the Greenlight on Steam. Hope you like it!

Please, if the links are not appropiate let me know and i´ll remove them.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_YQWHalgc
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT3HT_yQGJY
Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=879951991

If you have any questions about our development process or in terms of production or even about our folklore let me know, i´ll be happy to answer.

Pere

Neo Member
It looks really cool!
Looking at the screenshots I was a bit worried on the art style since assets are low poly and characters are high poly but in the trailer it looks good :) Voted on greenlight.

PD: I'm glad to see more Spanish devs here and I'm sure Basque mythology will be something new and exciting to most of us.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
That animation looks disturbing, I love it. Been seeing this game in the thread for a while now, how long has it been in development so far; close to launching?

Hi everyone!

I'd like to share the game we've been working on at my own company for quite some time. It´s called Sorgina: A Tale of Witches.

It's a classic puzzle-platformer, aimed mainly at kids, based on the pretty unknown folklore / mythology of my region (Basque Country).

The main protagonist is a witch apprentice and as you progress in the game you unlock new magic abilities/skills (enlarge, reduce, move, freeze,...) to manipulate objects in the scenery and solve the puzzles.

Here are some screenshots:

The locations are based on real landmarks from our region for the most part, and as you can see we approached the style by using assets adapted to lowpoly and trying to keep a vibrant, bit cartoon touch, in order to keep it attractive for kids.

Development (in Unity) is pretty much finished and we are now trying to get the Greenlight on Steam. Hope you like it!

Please, if the links are not appropiate let me know and i´ll remove them.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_YQWHalgc
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT3HT_yQGJY
Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=879951991

If you have any questions about our development process or in terms of production or even about our folklore let me know, i´ll be happy to answer.

Maybe it's just me, but that mermaid's art sticks out like a sore thumb, just doesn't seem to fit with everything else. Do realistically proportioned people normally coexist with chibi bigheads? It could just be me, no offense intended at all.

As for my game/s I had to back-burner my tug of war online multiplayer game for something more likely to be released before judgement day. So now I'm working on a simplistic voxel 3d rpg. I got the random sword generator working recently, woohoo! Extending that to work for all other equipment slots should be simple. So that's something, haha. Wish there was actual gameplay to show. Right now my game is just X amount of parties consisting of Y amount of NPC's all fighting each other to the death. All with randomly generated swords of course for testing purposes. It is kind of cool to see one party somehow manage to survive/slaughter all the others, alas gameplay will look nothing like that. Anyhow, keep on keeping on indie gaf!

Orodreth

It looks really cool!
Looking at the screenshots I was a bit worried on the art style since assets are low poly and characters are high poly but in the trailer it looks good :) Voted on greenlight.

PD: I'm glad to see more Spanish devs here and I'm sure Basque mythology will be something new and exciting to most of us.

Thanks! glad you liked it and thanks a lot for your support!

That animation looks disturbing, I love it. Been seeing this game in the thread for a while now, how long has it been in development so far; close to launching?

Indeed, it does look amazing.

Maybe it's just me, but that mermaid's art sticks out like a sore thumb, just doesn't seem to fit with everything else. Do realistically proportioned people normally coexist with chibi bigheads? It could just be me, no offense intended at all.

You´re right. One of our handicaps during development was the lack of internal ilustrators and modellers/animators.

We had to look for assets at unity store that would keep the characters main traits and try to keep a unified style but we didnt have a lot to choose from and it shows in some cases. We adapted some animations and textures.

...and those might actually be my last update for a while, as it appears the animation test from earlier successfully went through. Still a bit unreal, and I won't feel comfortable until the contract is fully signed and I've received my first assignment, but yeah, looks like I might have to put Pacha on hold for a while - I'm not sure I'll get the chance to make much progress on it in parallel to an actual animation job, but who knows! We'll see! New experiences, and all that!

Congrats, dude, that's awesome.

DemonNite

haST1dl.gif

l0GFYMJ.gif

Those look great! that guy has a severe case of acne

I record with Geforce Shadowplay and dump the mp4 in Photoshop > Export to Web

Five

Banned

Holy shit, congrats! I never doubted that'd happen for a moment :D

You're far and away talented enough. I'm excited to see what they have you do, even though it might be a long long while until we get to see.

Maybe it's too early to ask, but what does this mean for your patreon?

Tain

Congrats!

DemonNite

These are this week's animations for Pacha, basically the walk cycle edition:

ImperfectFoolishHound.gif

Looks great! didn't see that last update... congrats and hope everything works out for you.

If you have a strong passion on working on your own game in parallel, you will always find time to do it ;) (I did that for my last game whilst working full time at a game studio for a few years)

So I've decided to work on the very beginning of my game and take a break from mechanics, level design, story arcs, ui... etc.

So past few days I have just wanting to get the first few minutes of the game right.

space.png

So I made the ship the planet and tried to get the image effects right. But... the thing that really brought it together was the music.

I'm really pleased with this. It may need EQing before release because I made it on headphones but it sets the scene well I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRumx3sOH40&feature=youtu.be

Edit: The music is the backdrop to the main character leaving the ship in the images and exiting in a landing pod and doing a slow circumference of the planetoid. Obviously things don't go well.

Also....

Massive congrats! I don't post much but it's been great to see your posts and to see your hard work pay off.

Pehesse

Holy shit, congrats! I never doubted that'd happen for a moment :D

You're far and away talented enough. I'm excited to see what they have you do, even though it might be a long long while until we get to see.

Maybe it's too early to ask, but what does this mean for your patreon?

Congrats!

Looks great! didn't see that last update... congrats and hope everything works out for you.

If you have a strong passion on working on your own game in parallel, you will always find time to do it ;) (I did that for my last game whilst working full time at a game studio for a few years)

So I've decided to work on the very beginning of my game and take a break from mechanics, level design, story arcs, ui... etc.

So past few days I have just wanting to get the first few minutes of the game right.

space.png

So I made the ship the planet and tried to get the image effects right. But... the thing that really brought it together was the music.

I'm really pleased with this. It may need EQing before release because I made it on headphones but it sets the scene well I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRumx3sOH40&feature=youtu.be

Edit: The music is the backdrop to the main character leaving the ship in the images and exiting in a landing pod and doing a slow circumference of the planetoid. Obviously things don't go well.

Also....

Massive congrats! I don't post much but it's been great to see your posts and to see your hard work pay off.

Thanks a million, you all :) It certainly feels a bit surreal, and I hope I'm not celebrating too soon - it likely won't seem safe until I have actual work to do for them, but it's still further than I got in the past 5-6 years or so :-D (granted, I stopped sending applications a while back, there's only so much rejection one can take).

Regarding Patreon, as soon as I'm sure it's actually happening, I'll put it on hold (or cancel it if I can't). It wouldn't feel right to keep it going while I work on something else, even if I manage to squeeze in some Pavha time here and there.

And regarding that... I certainly do hope I'll be able to, as you say, but past experience showed I handled parallel projects very badly - I'm usually completely drained after I achieve my daily work objectives, and work on 'secondary' projects massively suffers. But who knows, this is actually one of the things I'm looking forward to find out if has changed, and I'm hoping it has. To be honest, I'm immensely impressed by those of you who can manage day jobs in addition to parallel gamedev projects - most of my industry friends usually gave up one or the other... I'll let you guess which more often than not :v (though I'm not blaming anyone for that choice, as I'd likely do the same in that situation. We'll see soon enough)

If I can manage some progress on Pacha, I'll keep posting it here as usual, that should be a good source of motivation! :-D

I have a texture that needs some advanced distortion correction and PS won't save a TIFF file over 4GB (image is 19396x11322). Anybody have recommendations?

Popstar

I have a texture that needs some advanced distortion correction and PS won't save a TIFF file over 4GB (image is 19396x11322). Anybody have recommendations?
The TIFF file format is limited to 4GB. You'll need to save as something else if you can.

EDIT: wait, new versions of Photoshop support "BigTIFF". Check to see if you have to check an option box somewhere. FAT32 is also limited to 4GB max file size which might be a problem if you're saving to a SD card. What's your OS / Photoshop version / File System?

EDIT2: seems BigTIFF support is read-only and you'd need a plugin to write.

The TIFF file format is limited to 4GB. You'll need to save as something else if you can.

EDIT: wait, new versions of Photoshop support "BigTIFF". Check to see if you have to check an option box somewhere. FAT32 is also limited to 4GB max file size which might be a problem if you're saving to a SD card. What's your OS / Photoshop version / File System?
Win10/CC/NTFS

I don't see BigTIFF in "save as." It may be in the "export as" but I've been unable to open that window for months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom