• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished the trailer for my game Planetes. Whew! Trailer making is not really my thing. :-/
Tell me what you think?

https://youtu.be/pPHhf-6cUTg

EjpBAWI.png

Looks good, though a word of warning: "Planetes" is the name of a very popular hard sci-fi manga and anime series that involves spacecraft. You might run into some trouble if the author or studio decide the name and theme are a little too close to their property, even though they're not exactly the same. Bandai Namco may cease and desist, and claim that you're using the popularity of their property to boost sales of your game.

LordRaptor

What is up with Unity performance on Wii U when compared to PC?

I'm not a registered WiiU developer and therefore have no NDAs to breach, but AFAIK WiiU is locked to Unity 4.6, so you are effectively locked to a forward or vertex lit rendering path, so all post-processing and multiple light sources are extremely expensive; you're going to have to bake most of your lighting and IIRC light baking was pretty slow and awkward pre Unity 5

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm not a registered WiiU developer and therefore have no NDAs to breach, but AFAIK WiiU is locked to Unity 4.6, so you are effectively locked to a forward or vertex lit rendering path, so all post-processing and multiple light sources are extremely expensive; you're going to have to bake most of your lighting and IIRC light baking was pretty slow and awkward pre Unity 5

I cannot comment on the Unity version used, but I'm using only one light source. Deferred rendering is called more expensive in the Unity documentation though, are there actual performance gains to expect from using deferred rendering over forward rendering, when using only a single light?

LordRaptor

I cannot comment on the Unity version used, but I'm using only one light source. Deferred rendering is called more expensive in the Unity documentation though, are there actual performance gains to expect from using deferred rendering over forward rendering, when using only a single light?

Yeah, deferred is inherently more expensive, but becomes 'worth it' with multiple light sources, as it lets you calculate per pixel lighting at a vastly improved performance (which opens the door to PBR); with a single light source its all negatives and no gains as part of that tradeoff.

e:
Also, from what you've said, forward rendering is significantly more performant with transparency than deferred is, so you might see some additional gains there

BlizzKrut

Banned
I've been trying to apply a dodge mechanic to my prototype recently, but I don't know how I can make it so that the dodge applies to whatever direction the person is inputting while dodging in UE4, do I use a blendspace?

ezgif-3-ea9179ea5e.gif

trudeaudm

Neo Member
The game looks really fun. As for the trailer, my main piece of advice would be cutting some of the shots shorter. It seems to linger on scenes a little too long, when it should be cutting to the next gameplay feature you're trying to sell. Looks cool, though!

Thanks for the advice, this seems to be what people are criticizing most, so I will probably do a recut of it. And keep the advice in mind for follow up trailers!

Looks good, though a word of warning: "Planetes" is the name of a very popular hard sci-fi manga and anime series that involves spacecraft. You might run into some trouble if the author or studio decide the name and theme are a little too close to their property, even though they're not exactly the same. Bandai Namco may cease and desist, and claim that you're using the popularity of their property to boost sales of your game.

Yeah, we have been made aware of the manga repeatedly. I actually have a lawyer (friend) looking it over and so far there shouldn't be any issues. Planetes is not actually registered under any trademark in the United States currently. Even if it was already used it could be considered that the "goods" are in different enough industries that they will not detract from each other.

Still not a bad idea to consider a few other naming options though.

I've been trying to apply a dodge mechanic to my prototype recently, but I don't know how I can make it so that the dodge applies to whatever direction the person is inputting while dodging in UE4, do I use a blendspace?

ezgif-3-ea9179ea5e.gif

If you want I can show you what we're doing for our dodge on something like hangouts if you want. It does the input direction thing. PM me.

DemonNite

I just wrapped up all the AI on the Smiling Creeper and did a play test today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DyxpWIhBo4

I think he is creepy enough! :)

Testing out his IK
SeveralInferiorAtlanticbluetang.gif

Making sure he stalks if you're hiding
NegativeAllBaleenwhale.gif

and finally...
HarmfulLiveAllosaurus.gif

In the above video, I was also testing out desaturating/vignetting the camera when the player is in a dark area (Previously, the player only knew by looking at the Crucifix symbol in the top left). Still will try this a bit more to see... not sure.

Finally, started initial work on Dialogue interactions with "good" NPCs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm tinkering with an idea, and have a good idea at a high level of what I want to do - but does anyone have any good resources on building simulations for (business/city) management type games? More from a software engineering perspective I guess... good ways to build a simulation that you can extend and add things to without too much pain. Any general design resources around that type of genre that people could recommend would be very welcome too - I've been googling and reading around, but thought I'd consult GAF in case I'm missing any good stuff.

Another scene from the game, this time of the main character Jules watching TV in the living room.
quehayparaverq5uxl.gif

What the hell? The animations look great and I love how the game's title looks very Seinfeld-like.

Hahaha, Im glad it looks Seinfeld like, becuase that was our intention. The soundtrack is also going to be very seifeld like.

If I can I will upload the first mock ups with did of the game that actually used seinfeld characters I drew for an anime parody of the series (and thats one of the inspirations to make this game).

Minamu

Is there anyone here who is using or has experience with Unity Collaborate? We're using it and just over the past week now we're getting weird merging with just about everything now. Prefabs, Animation Controllers, Scripts, two people can be working on something and instead of giving a heads up about a merging conflict, Collaborate seems to just squish things together.

Fake Edit: Did some testing with a teammate, and yeah, Unity Collaborate is Merging files and things without telling us first. Wonderful.
I use it regurlarly nowadays but since it has no checkout system, my team has made sure not to work on the same files at the same time. Seems like a good idea from what you describe.

Sidenote: has anyone upgraded to unity 5.6? We did, from 5.5 something, and we're getting some weird api updater requirement that continues to fail. We don't know what code isn't working, the few deprecation warnings the console mentions have been fixed but we still get the api update fail :/ the game works perfectly if we choose not to upgrade the apis, but if we do, we can't even build our project any more.. it just says that the data folder doesn't exist even though the builder clearly created the folder :lol

MimiMe

I need some advice:

I got positive reviews by smaller VR youtubers, which was/ is amazing to me as a dev.
Obviously it didn't help my game to get much attention, as they don't have audiences that big.

Now here is my hypothetical question:
Would you pay two grand to bigger VR youtubers to cover your game or keep on sending mails in hope someone goes for a review?

fyi: I don't have a budget right now.

My game has a leaderboard. It either reads your Steam ID or Oculus Home ID and puts the name in.

What would you do to sell it on plattforms like itch.io?
I don't want to implement a "Enter your Name" keyboard action, but can't find a better solution.

keep in mind: it's a VR only game

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
random game design question for yall. of these two scenarios, what do you prefer for your games?

a) All abilities / skill trees are available from the start but you can use some kind of in game currency to build your character however you want from the very start.

or b) Abilities are unlocked linearly as you progress

a) is has depth, but it's complex and requires an early investment from the player to understand things early on. you could also make sub optimal builds for yourself that hinder you and makes the games harder.

b) is linear, and thus not as free-form and exploratory. but it at least prevents the player from making the game hard for themselves and also has the added bonus of a carrot-on-a-stick effect where the gradual unlocks make the player want to progress forward to get the next one. like crack.

im having a hard time deciding which might be better for my game.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I need some advice:

I got positive reviews by smaller VR youtubers, which was/ is amazing to me as a dev.
Obviously it didn't help my game to get much attention, as they don't have audiences that big.

Now here is my hypothetical question:
Would you pay two grand to bigger youtubers to cover your game or keep on sending mails in hope someone goes for a review?

fyi: I don't have a budget right now.

2000 bucks sounds like a ton for someone currently without development funds.

i think you're right to stick to the VR youtubers. the bigger youtubers may have more subscribers but only a tiny fraction of their audience is going to have the high end oculus and vive vr headsets.

if i spend 600+ usd on a vr headset, im probably an enthusiast, and as an enthusiast, i'm probably subbed to the VR specific youtube channels. so personally, i think you're making the right call by hitting the niche marketing channels.

the good news is, you're probably quite likely to be featured on those niche VR sites / channels since only a handful of VR games are coming out at any time.

random game design question for yall. of these two scenarios, what do you prefer for your games?

a) All abilities / skill trees are available from the start but you can use some kind of in game currency to build your character however you want from the very start.

or b) Abilities are unlocked linearly as you progress

a) is has depth, but it's complex and requires an early investment from the player to understand things early on. you could also make sub optimal builds for yourself that hinder you and makes the games harder.

b) is linear, and thus not as free-form and exploratory. but it at least prevents the player from making the game hard for themselves and also has the added bonus of a carrot-on-a-stick effect where the gradual unlocks make the player want to progress forward to get the next one. like crack.

im having a hard time deciding which might be better for my game.

Personally I prefer A. If you are concerned about making sub optimal builds you can always allow the player to cash in their skills for currency again to build something better for the challenges they are currently facing.

Anyone here has applied for a Developer account for any of the big three?

My team would like to, or at least try to, publish something there so I've been looking it up.
Do you need to have a VAT to apply for Dev? How serious do they get? I've read they have you sign an NDA.
Do we need to be an established business with legal documents? How likely is for a team of 3 students to be accepted and published? so much questions d_d

Can someone shed some light with his/her experience or point me to a site with comprehensible information for a newbie?
I signed up with Nintendo and Sony back in 2013. I'm a one person studio with no released games. I made an LLC which for Colorado was pretty simple. You really should have an official company if you're a group.

Lots has probably changed since then but just be confident. I felt in over my head a lot of times.

mStudios

Does anyone knows how to fix this stupid issue?

uwkxkWX.png

The model was created using Blender & Sprytile. When we import it to Unity, there this annoying ass tearing that we don't know how to fix. (it looks way worse in Unity)

Any ideas?

Popstar

Does anyone knows how to fix this stupid issue?

The model was created using Blender & Sprytile. When we import it to Unity, there this annoying ass tearing that we don't know how to fix. (it looks way worse in Unity)

Any ideas?
It looks like you have T-junctions. I don't use Blender, does it have anything to weld vertices/edges?

I use it regurlarly nowadays but since it has no checkout system, my team has made sure not to work on the same files at the same time. Seems like a good idea from what you describe.

Good to know now, had some issues earlier this week, but we seem to be alright now. Looks like it's going to hurt our programmers more than the others, but it's still worrisome.

It looks like you have T-junctions. I don't use Blender, does it have anything to weld vertices/edges?

You can use Alt M to merge verts and edges, even asks how you want to merge them too. (Shamelessly stealing this .gif to show off.)

Blizzard

Banned
Final round of Ludum Dare theme voting

vavOAH9.png
I vote against Inconvenient Superpowers every single time it shows up. I'm sick of that taking a theme spot every single event (along with "Parallel Dimensions" and some variation of "Death is not the End" / "Death is only the Beginning" / yada yada). I'm tempted to add "Convenient Superpowers" into the suggestions next time just to combat it. :p

Also note how 3 of the final themes are "dark/light", "on/off", and "two colors". Almost any game that fits in one of those themes could be worked into any of the others, yet they take 3 spots.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yeah, we have been made aware of the manga repeatedly. I actually have a lawyer (friend) looking it over and so far there shouldn't be any issues. Planetes is not actually registered under any trademark in the United States currently. Even if it was already used it could be considered that the "goods" are in different enough industries that they will not detract from each other.

Still not a bad idea to consider a few other naming options though.

To speak to more than just this particular instance, something to bear in mind in trademark law is that it is all shades of grey. A company can still claim infringement even if a trademark is not registered. And even being in a separate goods or services category isn't foolproof protection. The "test" is actually whether a consumer has the "potential" to be confused. For example, Coca Cola may not be a specifically registered trademark in the software category, but you can bet you'll receive a cease and desist if you release "The Coca Cola Game".

You can search free for the availability of trademarks (in the US) via http://tess2.uspto.gov/ Registration of trademarks also costs a couple of thousands dollars so it might be an option for people getting both more protection around their IP and reducing risk of somebody making a claim.

In this particular example, there are a couple of registered marks for "Planete" in the US you'll want to get your friend to check. I think they are both logo marks but I'm not sure how much protection or claim that gives them on the word itself. It covers a ridiculous number of categories including explicitly games so you might be exposed there.

DemonNite

Another scene from the game, this time of the main character Jules watching TV in the living room.
quehayparaverq5uxl.gif

Hahaha, Im glad it looks Seinfeld like, becuase that was our intention. The soundtrack is also going to be very seifeld like.

If I can I will upload the first mock ups with did of the game that actually used seinfeld characters I drew for an anime parody of the series (and thats one of the inspirations to make this game).

That looks brill :) looking forward in seeing a video of this

Pehesse

quehayparaverq5uxl.gif

This reminds me a lot of the Scott Pilgrim beat'em up game visually, I like those animations! Looking forward to where it's headed :-D

LordRaptor

My game has a leaderboard. It either reads your Steam ID or Oculus Home ID and puts the name in.

What would you do to sell it on plattforms like itch.io?

itch.io has its own APIs, so I'd assume there's a 'get username' or 'get userid' equivalent for itch.io customers you could use...?

Makai

winapi undefined behavior was getting too annoying so I switched to OpenGL backend for my software renderer. Also makes multiplatform easy. But what I don't fully understand is that it boosted the performance by an order of magnitude. Is StretchDIBits not hardware accelerated? What are you building onto, missile? C and...

i am fascinated by what you're doing here.

Are you specifically going for the pixel look, or are you able to increase the amount of "passes" and achieve the same effect with smooth gradients?
It's intentional. It's easier to render smooth lines but he's trying a way of doing motion blur and DOF.

mStudios

Good to know now, had some issues earlier this week, but we seem to be alright now. Looks like it's going to hurt our programmers more than the others, but it's still worrisome.

You can use Alt M to merge verts and edges, even asks how you want to merge them too. (Shamelessly stealing this .gif to show off.)

Apparently it's a glitch with the plugin I'm using :p

missile

quehayparaverq5uxl.gif
Wow, really like it! Looks like a success to me! :)

looking dope!
Thx man! And I wasn't really trying. Just wanted to show a friend of mine how
to use the defocus in-game, i.e. how objects may appear while running in and
out of that pixelized defocus.

i am fascinated by what you're doing here. ...
I'm pleased some people can see between the lines pixels. :) The more time I
spend experimenting, the more I realize how versatile it all is. I'm going to
extend it further. I will try some more stuff to see if I can get similar good
results for some other effects like for example glossy reflections. Would be
cool to have pixelized glossy reflections.

... Are you specifically going for the pixel look, ...
Whould be a shame smoothing out all these pixels, heh?
Basically, yes. I want to have it pixelixed in a given way. But there are some
other reasons for doing so.

A trivial one is the computation load. Making these effects smooth would
rise the load quite a lot (but could be an option for faster systems). I mean,
for example, the pixelized defocus works so good on a big screen sitting at a
distance that it becomes rather questionable whether it's worth to spent any
more cycles to it for making it look smooth from up close. I took eye
integration into account to lessen the load on the computational side of
things and I think for a game-defocus it suffice for the most part if not for
any artistic reasons.

And there is another thing I'm after. I need these pixels to stress a (NTSC/
PAL) video signal encoder/decoder I started to implement many month ago (did
some posts over here), for I want to give those pixel a touch of a video
signal to make them a bit blurry but also to get some of the video encoding /
decoding artifacts due to the higher frequencies contained within the pixels
when interpreting them as a signal. If all the effects would be smooth, the
incoming video signal wouldn't have enough high-frequency to spoil the filters
and quadrature en/decoder. So with the pixels at hand the effect can be
tailored by pre-filtering the pixels as needed, i.e. by adjusting the cutoff
frequencies of many of the video filters in the chain (perhaps departing from
any TV signal standard whatsoever). That's something I want to realize -- to
give the pixel some analog breath so to speak. I may even decrease the screen
resolution by 2, for, larger pixels work better when it comes to CRT
simulation. Will see.

The idea behind, basically, is to create sort of an old-skool look 'n feel
of an old 3d game while also abusing/stylizing some of the modern rendering
techniques to produce some stylized realism, if that makes any sense.
For example. In such a game it doesn't make any sense to have perfect
reflections or something, they need to look like the engine/developer/artist
were trying - producing sort of a look limited by technology giving it a
certain ästhetic of its own, if you know what I mean. xD Don't know how good I
can realize it all, but have the images right in my head.

... or are you able to increase the amount of "passes" and achieve the same effect with smooth gradients?
That's what I was thinking around the last couple of days. I want to build a
smooth version, too, but not necessarily for the look of a game, but for some
other related stuff. Well yeah, what I'm interested in is building an
incremental rendering system such that the graphics could adapt on the load of
the system or serve as a pre-viewer for much more complex scenes, does some
pre-computations (lightprobes etc.), and other stuff. There is also the idea
to integrate in time and let the eye do it's job.

winapi undefined behavior was getting too annoying so I switched to OpenGL backend for my software renderer. Also makes multiplatform easy. But what I don't fully understand is that it boosted the performance by an order of magnitude. Is StretchDIBits not hardware accelerated? What are you building onto, missile? C and... ...
Standard GDI. Pretty old-skool. xD Did so for a specific reason, but will
switch to any of the hardware stuff later on given a speed boost an order of
magnitude, yeah. :)

Well, StretchDIBits is very slow because it is rather versatile, for it
converts between DIBs and between device depended and independent images,
which, if the two are not 100% aligned in depth, size etc., will do a couple
of conversions. But if you know your output then you can build a window bitmap
which will require no conversion whatsoever and is perhaps the fastest way to
blit images under GDI, for you use BitBlt instead of StretchDIBits. It rest on
what's known as a DIB sections under windows GDI. Have a look;

Code:
struct screen_buffer
{
  void *data  
  int width;
  int height;
  int pitch;
  int bpp;

HBITMAP hBitmap;
  BITMAPINFO info;
};

void allocate_DIBSection(screen_buffer *buffer, int width, int weight)
{ 
  buffer->width = width;
  buffer->height = height;
  buffer->bpp = 4;  

BITMAPINFO &info = buffer->info;
  Info.bmiHeader.biSize = sizeof(info.bmiHeader);
  Info.bmiHeader.biWidth = buffer->width;
  Info.bmiHeader.biHeight = -buffer->height;
  Info.bmiHeader.biPlanes = 1;
  Info.bmiHeader.biBitCount = 32;
  Info.bmiHeader.biCompression = BI_RGB;

int size = (buffer->width*buffer->height) * buffer->bpp;

buffer->hBitmap = CreateDIBSection(0, &info, DIB_RGB_COLORS,
                                     (void**) &buffer->data, 0, 0);
  buffer->pitch = width*buffer->bpp;
}

void blit_DIBSection(screen_buffer *buffer,
                                HDC dc, int window_width,
                                int window_height)
{
  // slow
  //StretchDIBits(dc,
  //              0, 0, window_width, window_height,
  //              0, 0, buffer->width, buffer->height,
  //              buffer->data,
  //              &buffer->info,
  //              DIB_RGB_COLORS,
  //              SRCCOPY);

// fast 
  HDC bitmap_dc = CreateCompatibleDC(dc);
  HGDIOBJ bitmap_dc_old = SelectObject(bitmap_dc, buffer->hBitmap);

BitBlt(dc, 0, 0,  buffer->width, buffer->height, bitmap_dc, 0, 0,
         SRCCOPY);

SelectObject(bmp_dc, bitmap_dc_old);
  DeleteDC(bitmap_dc);
}

You simply render your stuff into buffer->data (4bpp) and whenever you call
blit_DIBSection this buffer will be blitted to the screen straight. I don't
know of any faster method under GDI. But beware! There is one downfall. Under
GDI it isn't possible to sync to the screen refresh. So you get tearing. There
are a couple of dirty tricks to do so utilizing some specific DirectX calls,
but isn't worth the effort if you switch to hardware later on anyways.
However, using OpenGL will be much faster for sure.

Btw; You know what? This new FreeSync feature (the XBox Scorpio comes with)
may lead to some new ways to update the screen and also some new rendering
techniques utilizing it. Cool stuff ahead! :)

_Rob_

Wow, first time ive seen this and looks really cool. Love the designs of the character and scenery!

Thank you! I tend to get lost in work and forget to share. Speaking of which, merging the feeling of a cajun bayou with classic 1930s New York is proving to be a more difficult task than I'd first imagined.Having said that, I think I'm getting somewhere now!

Royal-Riverboat-Casino.png

missile

Does someone remember those painted 2.5D cockpits of old?
Tie fighter and Wing Commander comes to mind.

Can't help, but I somehow like them and they may fit my low-res stuff quite
well. So it grows inside me wanting to try such cockpits for my game, sort of
a stylish pixel-art one with windows seeing outside. I will try some, but I'm
not a 2d pixel artist or something. If someone may have some cool ideas and
can draw some stylish and unique ones, I would be pleased to work together on
this and share the profit if it leads to anything.

Well, it's just an idea for now. But doing the cockpits in 2.5D would allow to
make more of them (instead of fully modeled 3d ones) and would also bring
something more artistic/handmade to the game.

However, these cockpits should be a little more advanced than the old ones.
That is to say, the field of view and direction through any window can be
modeled differently such that you get a feeling of sitting in the cockpit
looking around while basically looking at a 2d screen. I even want to make it
so that you can also have curved windows, curved projections given a larger
field of view compressed into some given pixel areas whatever. I also want to
implement a fish-eye projection etc. So for example, there could be a small
instrument within the cockpit displaying an up to 180 FOV (or larger) for the
player to see what's, for example, below, behind, or above the craft, or use
parts of this projection for other stuff. So, basically, the cockpit can have
a larger (front) field of view and the 3d rendering of the world will be able
to match it. A view behind could also be drawn that way.

Does someone remember those painted 2.5D cockpits of old?

I sure do (big Wing Commander fan). There is a recentish (in dev since forever) indie attempt at the style, a game called Wings of Saint Nazaire. It has some amazing fully 2D cockpit action:

The dev is going all out: all the enemy ships are pre-rendered from all angles for that authentic chunky sprite-ness when they rotate.

Thought this might be of some inspiration.

Wow, really like it! Looks like a success to me! :)

Thank you! I would really love if we really has something special in our hands finally :D

Thank you! I tend to get lost in work and forget to share. Speaking of which, merging the feeling of a cajun bayou with classic 1930s New York is proving to be a more difficult task than I'd first imagined.Having said that, I think I'm getting somewhere now!

Royal-Riverboat-Casino.png

Looks great and i completely undertand you! I also worked on a game that use the new orleans style cartoon and it was really fun to design the world.

MimiMe

itch.io has its own APIs, so I'd assume there's a 'get username' or 'get userid' equivalent for itch.io customers you could use...?

I didn't know that. Going to take a look at it.
thanks

2000 bucks sounds like a ton for someone currently without development funds.

i think you're right to stick to the VR youtubers. the bigger youtubers may have more subscribers but only a tiny fraction of their audience is going to have the high end oculus and vive vr headsets.

if i spend 600+ usd on a vr headset, im probably an enthusiast, and as an enthusiast, i'm probably subbed to the VR specific youtube channels. so personally, i think you're making the right call by hitting the niche marketing channels.

the good news is, you're probably quite likely to be featured on those niche VR sites / channels since only a handful of VR games are coming out at any time.

damn, sorry for my wording. I was talking about big VR youtubers.

missile

Nice pee filter ;)
Being a dad will make the colors appear so different? Jesus! :-O

I sure do (big Wing Commander fan). There is a recentish (in dev since forever) indie attempt at the style, a game called Wings of Saint Nazaire. It has some amazing fully 2D cockpit action:

The dev is going all out: all the enemy ships are pre-rendered from all angles for that authentic chunky sprite-ness when they rotate.

Thought this might be of some inspiration.
That's way too much on my end. Doing it that way you can likewise render a
full 3d one. The ones I envision should be more, well, 2d-ish and should also
feature different FOVs, not just one big one like is see in many games of that
type. The problem with the cockpit above is that they try to make it look
really 3d whereas I'm thinking about the lines of keeping it more simple yet
stylized featuring a certain retro ästhetic like you see in some comic
books and movies. It shouldn't be so realistic, perhaps more like a
point-and-click cockpit if that makes any sense.

Something along these lines

wc1screenshot06.gif

drawings_by_adamkop-d9alkyv.jpg

An-image-from-Palm-Laser1.jpg

turrican_cockpit_by_rhopunzel.png

4483ea50d2aa34b3bacb78d1dfaff185.gif

I love your gifs. Are you just making an engine or also a game?
Glad you like it! Thx, Sir!
Well, I will go more towards a game in the month to come, working towards
what I've written in one of my last posts.

... Week over, finally! Time to Persona! :-D
Simply amazing! But you know that already. :)

I've been looking at the background of my Unity game and realised the following:
  1. the background itself is static and doesn't animate
  2. the camera is static and only ever views the background from one angle (with the exception of some minor camera shake)

So it got me wondering if I could milk some performance out of the game by just screenshotting the backdrop and slapping the screenshot in as an unlit, unshadowed, non-alpha'd image instead of the full 3D background. One advantage of this approach is that I'm a lot more confident in my 2D art skills than my 3D modelling/texturing so i could probably add a whole bunch more detail to an image than I can to my current 3D environment.
Of course if it's worth pursuing there's also the question of what resolution said texture/screenshot would ideally be too :p

Any thoughts from other unity-experienced devs in here? :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom