• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pehesse

4483ea50d2aa34b3bacb78d1dfaff185.gif

Simply amazing! But you know that already. :)

That last cockpit... I love it! Where is it from?

And many thanks - always happy to hear it works in the end, it helps a lot :-D

Can anyone recommend a pixel artist for hire? It's a paid gig and will take several months. Just want someone who is a strong animator, good communicator, and responsive. Feel free to reply here or pm me. Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a pixel artist for hire? It's a paid gig and will take several months. Just want someone who is a strong animator, good communicator, and responsive. Feel free to reply here or pm me. Thanks!

Did a search and maybe this helps?

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/best-pixel-art-communities-forums.447352/

I'm strongly considering as my project to learn and get from GameMaker 1 to GameMaker 2, to make a TCG in the vein of SNK vs Capcom: Cardfighters Clash's rules, but planning to blend in some new and different rules...

I've never programmed a card game but I'm intrigued at trying.

Won't be a pixel game but more along the lines of vector stuff I've been working on:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
hey all - I'm a 3d animator professionally and dabbled in teaching myself static pixel art a few years ago. was wondering what software you devs use for pixel/sprite art and animation....im looking at Aseprite right now...any other advice and tips?

I have Photoshop, but i don't know how conducive that is strictly for game dev/art

hey all - I'm a 3d animator professionally and dabbled in teaching myself static pixel art a few years ago. was wondering what software you devs use for pixel/sprite art and animation....im looking at Aseprite right now...any other advice and tips?

I have Photoshop, but i don't know how conducive that is strictly for game dev/art

Supposedly the new sprite editor in GameMaker 2 is pretty great but I don't do pixel art enough to know.

Minamu

Ludam dare is starting today, anyone else thinking about taking part?
Wish I had known about this beforehand :/ My nearby school has really been slacking off when it comes to game jams in recent times, and I don't have my dev team ready for this. I'm still gonna be working from home on my dev courses all weekend though.

I bought two new game courses on Udemy yesterday, 20 euros :D One for newbies to Blender, and one on how to get a game dev job :lol All from the same guy, Ben Tristem. Seems legit, his Unity and Unreal courses have been excellent.

Maybe this weekend is when all my Skyrim talk gets put into action?! ;)

Dlink16

Aseprite is a really good option. Pyxel Edit is also not bad as you can see the whole sprite sheet as you're working. However, it can be a bit of a headache when you need to add new frames in.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'm honestly not 100% sure whether I'll participate in this Ludam dare or not. It will probably depend a lot on what theme gets picked and if I get inspired during my brainstorming session. I kind of want to do the compo and not the jam since I'm just doing everything myself anyway, but then you have to create all the assets within 48 hours as well. Seems like a tall order. Might end up with "the incredible box man in box world" platformer, haha. We'll see I guess.

LordRaptor

I'm honestly not 100% sure whether I'll participate in this Ludam dare or not. It will probably depend a lot on what theme gets picked and if I get inspired during my brainstorming session. I kind of want to do the compo and not the jam since I'm just doing everything myself anyway, but then you have to create all the assets within 48 hours as well. Seems like a tall order. Might end up with "the incredible box man in box world" platformer, haha. We'll see I guess.

I usually spend day 1 doing the actual game stuff - and always try to make it an actual game, so theres some sort of fail condition / restart option - using dummy files / unity primitives, and day 2 making and plugging in assets, which is why I fairly often have no music, because thats a big old time sink

oxrock

I usually spend day 1 doing the actual game stuff - and always try to make it an actual game, so theres some sort of fail condition / restart option - using dummy files / unity primitives, and day 2 making and plugging in assets, which is why I fairly often have no music, because thats a big old time sink

Could just use a random music generator though, it's a bit of a cop-out but better than nothing I would think.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't participated in the last few Ludum Dare events, but something that seemed good I did at least once was a basic feature set list, like:

Feature Set A
* Level on screen
* Box person on screen
* Box person can run
* Box person can jump

Feature Set B
* Box enemies on screen
* Box enemies can shoot
* Box person can shoot

Feature Set C
* Art for player
* Art for enemies

Feature Set D
* Main menu theme
* Ingame theme

Feature Set D
* Victory theme
* Defeat theme

It doesn't take long at all to write out a rough plan like that, and you can modify it as you go along. The key thing is that you break it into manageable chunks, so if you ever run out of time you still have a working THING at one of those levels, and you're working on the most important stuff at any given time.

LordRaptor

Could just use a random music generator though, it's a bit of a cop-out but better than nothing I would think.

I don't know any - depending on whatever aesthetic im going with, I usually use LMMS, bosca ceoil or beepbox.

Sound effects are a bigger 'bang for buck' than music, imo - its very rare I don't at least get a few explosion SFX or whatever in, they make a much bigger impact.

The key thing is that you break it into manageable chunks, so if you ever run out of time you still have a working THING at one of those levels, and you're working on the most important stuff at any given time.

This is pretty much what I do, but things like music or a title screen are in the 'nice, but not essential' category

oxrock

Ludam Dare theme announced, it's "small world". Honestly not sure where I want to go with it yet but I'll try to run with it regardless.

Pehesse

It's from an awesome Star Wars inspired short film.

https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU?t=1m40s

Aww, dang! I was hoping for an actual TIE-fighter fan-sequel :-D Still, fantastic looking, many thanks for the ref!

Looking great, the hair has especially nice weight! Reminds me of how fluidly Conker's tail moved in Bad Fur Day.

I should definitely go back and take a closer look at it for reference, it was indeed a sight to behold, and I haven't played it for far too long!

Wow, this is so pretty! Is than an attack frisbee she has on her hip? 😅

Thanks :-D And basically, yeah! It's what she uses for her throw attacks, which aren't the most useful thing in her arsenal (because of big spiky mace :-D) but situationally handy :-D

Beautiful like always Pehesse!

that looks super :D

Thanks a lot you all, especially after you post some amazing stuff :-D

Hmm, told myself to stop doing videos and just focus on programming, but eh, felt like this one /w some slight UI progress and the first signs of active-abilities for Kaufman. Also, a slight preview of Kaufman's new sprite (Currently just in the idle/unarmed stance) by Carrill Munnings.

ba92e4ede8.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeCS4LFqGtI

Would have had a lot more to show, but other work has kept me too busy to truly work on this as much as I'd like.

Ysarus

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a while, and I hope to have something to show sometime in the future. Thank you so much for the introduction post, it's a huge help.

I hope this is okay to ask... Would any dev be willing to answer a few questions about their work through PMs/e-mail? Preferably someone with at least one commercial game out (or well under way). I need to interview some people for a university project. I'd be reeeally grateful for any help.

There's no pressure or anything, it'll just be about some choices you've made, difficulties you've had to overcome, etc.

Could be in English or in French (since that's my native language). Anyone interested? :)

EDIT: Got some help, thanks!

missile

Welcome at the EXNO Research facility!

Today we are proud showing our first highspeed prototype craft, Onxe, which
will guide us in gaining a deeper understanding of the transcendental state of
mind by operating the craft and your mind at the utmost limits!

Over the next months we will give out some opportunities to become a
test-pilot at EXNO Research. You better get ready!

WK1nThd.gif

DemonNite

WK1nThd.gif

I'm ready! :D

Pehesse

WK1nThd.gif

READY!

BTW, anyone have advice on sourcing sounds and such? The silence in REDFOXES is starting to get a bit old and I'm going to need to give it audio eventually.

Like, any good databases of footsteps, gunshot noises, and other SFX I can use?

Minamu

There was a massive, like 16GB, audio source collection floating around last year. That could be something if you can find it. Can't remember the name though, sorry.

WK1nThd.gif

Dude this is exciting! Can't wait =D

Popstar

BTW, anyone have advice on sourcing sounds and such? The silence in REDFOXES is starting to get a bit old and I'm going to need to give it audio eventually.

Like, any good databases of footsteps, gunshot noises, and other SFX I can use?

There was a massive, like 16GB, audio source collection floating around last year. That could be something if you can find it. Can't remember the name though, sorry.
GameSounds.xyz - The massive collection Minamu mentions is here (The Soniss GDC bundles)

Also:
SFXR
Freesound

I will most definitely take you up on the offer then! Getting a build I want people to try is taking just a taaadddd longer then expected, but I'll pm you a code either tomorrow or the day after. Looking forward to hearing what you think!

How's it coming along? Didn't get a PM from you but no worries.

Here's some UX commentary on Flinthook, for reference. I just write about the gameplay here, but do of course, cover game interfaces and their interactions with gameplay too.

xwX3Xek.gif

Offer to look at your games UX is still open to anyone. Might not include animations like that one above though, because it was a pain in the ass (photoshop + gif editing actually somehow eats 8gb of ram). Probably just a PDF or forum post with a number of key issues.

Only worthwhile if you want to think a little bit more about usability, or want to ship a real game. Happy to help anyone here that might want it.

Offer to look at your games UX is still open to anyone.

I'm tempted, but with the game done (and it being my first real game), I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to crush my spirit just yet. Every time I play it, I see about a hundred things I could fix or improve had I the time or ability, so I have to sooth the nerves by basically going "done is better than perfect", and hoping I do better on the next game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Here's some UX commentary on Flinthook, for reference. I just write about the gameplay here, but do of course, cover game interfaces and their interactions with gameplay too.
(image removed due to size)

Offer to look at your games UX is still open to anyone. Might not include animations like that one above though, because it was a pain in the ass (photoshop + gif editing actually somehow eats 8gb of ram). Probably just a PDF or forum post with a number of key issues.

Only worthwhile if you want to think a little bit more about usability, or want to ship a real game. Happy to help anyone here that might want it.
Does your offer also hold for games that are not close to completion? I am working on a game right now that is still looking at ~8 months of development, but I feel it would be great to have some early feedback on usability of the game, based on a one (out of nine) level demo.

Does your offer also hold for games that are not close to completion? I am working on a game right now that is still looking at ~8 months of development, but I feel it would be great to have some early feedback on usability of the game, based on a one (out of nine) level demo.

Generally speaking the sooner you integrate UX practices into your production pipeline, the better it will be. Obviously I'm only talking about helping you with an expert analysis style of thing, but a lot of big devs are looking at UX and conducting as early as the conceptual stages (with artwork and stuff).

The sooner you get UX feedback, the more of a postive impact it can have on your game.

So yes, so long as it will run I'd be happy to. Something to also bear in mind though, is that UX analysis is not quality assurance, so I'll ignore anything that clearly isn't working as intended.

ninjarr

Neo Member
We've been preparing our first patch for The Wild Eternal this week. Some bug fixes, polish, and a post-credit puzzle. It's been interesting listening to what our players have liked and want more of.

Also playing around with some of our effects a bit while brainstorming easter eggs and things.

t16TCDg.gif

Gisele

Banned
We've been preparing our first patch for The Wild Eternal this week. Some bug fixes, polish, and a post-credit puzzle. It's been interesting listening to what our players have liked and want more of.

Also playing around with some of our effects a bit while brainstorming easter eggs and things.

t16TCDg.gif

Whoa, that looks neat. I'll have to go check it out :)

WK1nThd.gif

Yay! I've been waiting for all this tech to turn into a game. It's been exciting to follow your progress ♥

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm tempted, but with the game done (and it being my first real game), I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to crush my spirit just yet. Every time I play it, I see about a hundred things I could fix or improve had I the time or ability, so I have to sooth the nerves by basically going "done is better than perfect", and hoping I do better on the next game.

Something that seems to be the case for UX problems we uncover in our studio is that 90% of them are super easy fixes. You can make the game feel meaningfully better for just a couple of days work addressing problems that have been found.

If you approach a usability pass as "finding opportunities to make things better" rather than "finding reasons why your game sucks", then combined with the relatively small effort it takes to resolve many issues it should be a positive experience.

Something that seems to be the case for UX problems we uncover in our studio is that 90% of them are super easy fixes.

Oh, for sure. But after four months of *just* playtesting, I don't think there are any remaining UX issues that would be "super easy fixes", or they'd be fixed already.

Granted, a fresh pair of eyes could never hurt...

Offer to look at your games UX is still open to anyone.

PM sent.

How would this UX feedback work? :) I've got a multiplayer game that could use some work.

For now I probably won't be able to do any more since I have 3 people PMing me and going to focus on giving feedback for those.

I'll post again when I can have the time to do a little more, but if I remember I can send you a PM and see where you're at. How far is it off releasing?

Multiplayer games might be hard to do a ux analysis for as an individual. In general performing a UX analysis as an individual is a little crude (ux researchers usually generally work in pairs) but especially difficult if an element of the game relates to interaction with other players.

I'd have to find someone else to play it with me, presumably, which might be tricky.

Pehesse

xwX3Xek.gif

This looks very detailed and informative to me - I'd gladly take you up on your offer, but I won't have a build worthy of such thoroughness before the end of the year at the very least (likely more early next), so I'm hoping your offer will still be around by then :-D

oxrock

it's almost 5am and I'm still grinding away at my LD compo entry.... and it looks no where as good as some of the streams I've seen. fml

Minamu

For now I probably won't be able to do any more since I have 3 people PMing me and going to focus on giving feedback for those.

I'll post again when I can have the time to do a little more, but if I remember I can send you a PM and see where you're at. How far is it off releasing?

Multiplayer games might be hard to do a ux analysis for as an individual. In general performing a UX analysis as an individual is a little crude (ux researchers usually generally work in pairs) but especially difficult if an element of the game relates to interaction with other players.

I'd have to find someone else to play it with me, presumably, which might be tricky.
That's okay, focus on those who contacted you first :) The game is essentially done, there's mainly some small polish and bugs to fix, I just need to find a way to get my programmers to quit the feature creep streak they're on >_<

Multiplayer games are tricky indeed. We try to explain the functionality through a "how to play" menu; if players aren't ready to do some light reading, I don't know what to do :lol Since none of us have any graphical talent whatsoever, our HUD elements are probably what need the most work. That might be doable alone, yes?

That reminds me, I should probably make a HUD element description screen, doh.

missile

I'm ready! :D

We will see! ;)

Dude this is exciting! Can't wait =D
Me, too! :-O

Wait missile is actually making a game?!?!
Cool!
LvhxnoU.gif

Seems to be my first take in here posting some real games stuff of mine. lol
But as I said last time, will do some more game posts instead of graphics and
tech. In the end all the cool stuff won't pay the bills anyways. ;)

... Yay! I've been waiting for all this tech to turn into a game. It's been exciting to follow your progress &#9829;
o rly? Glad you like it. Thx a lot! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom