• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, Judge My Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calibus

Since we have been talking about health and food a bit recently, I thought it may be helpful (or at least entertaining) to some to have their normal diet judged on an A-F grade scale. Substitution suggestions for foods are always welcome.

I'll start:

Weekdays (M-F):

Breakfast = Tuna Salad + crackers or Chicken Salad + crackers (these variety)

Coffee -- usually 3/4 cup (caffeinated)

Lunch = whole grain sandwich with eight deli thin slices of ham and turkey + fresh sliced onion rings (not fried) and sliced peppers + lite mayo + yellow mustard

Dinners = Baked Potato w/ light sour cream + side of sauteed fresh veggies; chicken thighs (baked) + field peas or bean + either sweet peas or green beans; some form of seafood (shrimp or salmon usually) + more sauteed veggies; noodles + sauteed veggies and tofu with a light herb and melted butter sauce. Only cooking additive used is olive oil (no butter).

Dessert/sweets = some kind of fruits -- usually apples or oranges; toasted whole grain bread with marmalade

Beverages = water or unsweetened iced tea; sometimes chocolate milk

Snacks = lite string cheese; pickle spears

Weekends (Sat-Sun):

Breakfast = breakfast burrito (eggs, sausage, veggies)

Lunch = pre-made salad from Kroger -- usually cob (w/vinaigrette dressing) or Caesar salad (w/ Caesar dressing)

Dinners = sushi rolls (usually eel or crab rolls with avocado and other veggies, crunchies on top, and yum yum sauce); I usually make one weekend dinner a splurge meal (fast food, take-out Chinese, or some ribs)

Beverages = soda, sweet iced tea (only one per day); otherwise water or unsweetened tea

Dessert/sweets = chocolate (prefer dark) of some sort

Snacks = usually don't snack due to more filling foods on weekends

My Goals With This Diet = maintain around 200 lbs body weight; maintain cholesterol level of around 200 or lower; get proper levels of nutrients through diet alone.

maxcriden

I hope this is helpful to you. My comments are bolded below.

I'll start:

Weekdays (M-F):

Breakfast = Tuna Salad + crackers or Chicken Salad + crackers (these variety) The premade tuna or chicken salad have a bunch of crap in them. It would be better to go with a homemade tuna salad and use yogurt instead of mayo if the flavor doesn't bother you. You could also substitute your crackers for sliced apple and put chopped celery in the tuna salad.

Coffee -- usually 3/4 cup (caffeinated) If you can go without caffeine and especially coffee your teeth will thank you, as might your sleep cycle. If you need it though I get it.

Lunch = whole grain sandwich with eight deli thin slices of ham and turkey + fresh sliced onion rings (not fried) and sliced peppers + lite mayo + yellow mustard Sounds pretty solid. Not sure what kind of whole grain bread you use. Some are legit good and some have a bunch of stuff in them. Also, eight deli thin slices sounds like a lot, no offense whatsoever. I may just be picturing this being more meat than it is. Might there be more veggies you can add, or some baby carrots on the side or something? Maybe an apple? (Apples are really good for you. Not to be a broken record though.) Also, if the whole grain bread isn't great, you could do a healthy wrap or a lettuce leaf. That might be overdoing it, though.

Dinners = Baked Potato w/ light sour cream + side of sauteed fresh veggies; chicken thighs (baked) + field peas or bean + either sweet peas or green beans; some form of seafood (shrimp or salmon usually) + more sauteed veggies; noodles + sauteed veggies and tofu with a light herb and melted butter sauce. Only cooking additive used is olive oil (no butter).Sounds pretty legit. Not sure if the sour cream is necessary on the baked potato, but if you love it go for it. Also, are you using white pasta? Might want to try whole wheat, quinoa or brown rice pasta.

Dessert/sweets = some kind of fruits -- usually apples or oranges; toasted whole grain bread with marmaladeSounds good.

Beverages = water or unsweetened iced tea; sometimes chocolate milkSounds good.

Snacks = lite string cheese; pickle spearsSounds good.

Weekends (Sat-Sun):

Breakfast = breakfast burrito (eggs, sausage, veggies)Sounds good. What kind of sausage are we talking? Turkey is going to be better than pork generally.

Lunch = pre-made salad from Kroger -- usually cob (w/vinaigrette dressing) or Caesar salad (w/ Caesar dressing)The Caesar dressing is probably pretty bad for you. A lot of the premade stuff in the salad might be a lot lower quality than you realize too. If you make your own salad and even your own dressing, or use a healthier dressing, the end result may be a lot better for you.

Dinners = sushi rolls (usually eel or crab rolls with avocado and other veggies, crunchies on top, and yum yum sauce); I usually make one weekend dinner a splurge meal (fast food, take-out Chinese, or some ribs)Nothing wrong with the occasional splurge. <sushi snob>Don't ruin your sushi with sauce, crunchies, or fake crabmeat though. ;)</sushi snob>

Beverages = soda, sweet iced tea (only one per day); otherwise water or unsweetened teaSoda's really terrible for you. If you can cut it out, go for it.

Dessert/sweets = chocolate (prefer dark) of some sortGood for you.

Snacks = usually don't snack due to more filling foods on weekendsSounds good!

Calibus

I hope this is helpful to you. My comments are bolded below.

Thanks, max. The reason for the coffee is that I've been hearing it's got good stuff in it for you. I have been thinking of switching to tea, though.

As for the breakfast burrito on the weekends, I was more talking about sausage already included in the burrito.

The tuna/chicken salad is probably going bye bye soon in favor of fresh fruits and possibly veggies.

I totally misread the label on the deli meat. I thought it was 8 slices per serving but it was actually 8 servings per container. 2 oz is one serving, 16 oz package total -- not sure how many slices that is. I could probably stand to cut it down to 6 slices though. Not sure about the bread.

Pasta is probably white, but I only really have it once a week.

Dressing I could probably stand to sub but it too is only once a week as I try to stagger what salad types I buy.

Soda -- again only once a week so I'm granting myself a pass on that one. Soda is one of the foods I really have to watch myself on though as I can binge on it easily.

Out of curiosity, what grade would you give it? A-F scale.

Persona7 and supergiz, thank you as well. I do need more nuts in my mouth (that's the only context in which you will ever hear me say that :p )

maxcriden

Thanks, max. The reason for the coffee is that I've been hearing it's got good stuff in it for you. I have been thinking of switching to tea, though.

NP, happy to help. I'd probably give it in the B+ to A- range. It's really very good on the whole.

Zoc

OP, how is your health/weight on this diet? Does it seem to be working out for you, or do you want to change it because of body size or energy issues? How active are you?

entremet

Sure you won't get bored with that OP?

I try to avoid meal plans and just focus on whole foods--meat, poultry, veggies, eggs, rice, beans.

Diet adherence is the best predictor of success.

Calibus

OP, how is your health/weight on this diet? Does it seem to be working out for you, or do you want to change it because of body size or energy issues? How active are you?

Weight is slowly losing, health is overall very good. I had slightly elevated cholesterol, but I have not been on the diet long enough to get any kind of accurate follow-up reading. I am pretty active -- gym 3 times a week. During non-Winter months I try to walk 1-2 miles daily. Goals will be answered below.

Sure you won't get bored with that OP?

I try to avoid meal plans and just focus on whole foods--meat, poultry, veggies, eggs, rice, beans.

Diet adherence is the best predictor of success.

Not bored so far, but that is an important consideration. Will need to find alternatives in the near future I am sure.

Is there a specific goal to your diet? Kinda hard to judge it without some goal.

My goal is to maintain a healthy body weight, which is ~200 lbs for me. Also, to keep cholesterol around 200 or below and to get the proper levels of nutrients I need.

eucharis

Weight is slowly losing, health is overall very good. I had slightly elevated cholesterol, but I have not been on the diet long enough to get any kind of accurate follow-up reading. I am pretty active -- gym 3 times a week. During non-Winter months I try to walk 1-2 miles daily. Goals will be answered below.

Not bored so far, but that is an important consideration. Will need to find alternatives in the near future I am sure.

My goal is to maintain a healthy body weight, which is ~200 lbs for me. Also, to keep cholesterol around 200 or below and to get the proper levels of nutrients I need.

there's a site and app called my fitness pal where you can scan the barcodes or type in the food you eat per day and it will tell you the amount of calories you've eaten and if you've eaten enough nutrients for the day. It's free too and you can tally in your exercise and it'll show a table of where your weight is at or going.

Calibus

there's a site and app called my fitness pal where you can scan the barcodes or type in the food you eat per day and it will tell you the amount of calories you've eaten and if you've eaten enough nutrients for the day. It's free too and you can tally in your exercise and it'll show a table of where your weight is at or going.

I actually have a similar app called Fooducate. I tried the one you are talking about but it only counted walking/jogging for exercise and not anything done at the gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom