• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Oscar Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I see a lot of people picking JLaw for supporting actress, but aren't we forgetting an important detail here? She won last year, and the Academy isn't fond of back-to-back wins, even in different categories. I think that Hanks is still paying undue penance because of that.

the academy love her though. The fact she even got nominated for American Hustle proves that. She's like a young Meryl Streep.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I see a lot of people picking JLaw for supporting actress, but aren't we forgetting an important detail here? She won last year, and the Academy isn't fond of back-to-back wins, even in different categories. I think that Hanks is still paying undue penance because of that.

I feel like if Chiwetel doesn't get the Leading actor award, Lupita Nyong'o will get the supporting actress. Just a hunch.

I feel like 'I'M TOO UNINFORMED TO PICK' or 'random' should be an option for the smaller categories like short film - live action or foreign language in the Google Form. I literally picked at random.

I feel like if Chiwetel doesn't get the Leading actor award, Lupita Nyong'o will get the supporting actress. Just a hunch.

I want June Squibb to win it so badly tho. Goddamn comedy curse at the Oscars won't help.

Divius

Love that there seems to be uniform in the 'big' categories but when it comes to Documentary Short Subject everyone seems to pick at random. *this title looks like it could win*

Ridley327

Love that there seems to be uniform in the 'big' categories but when it comes to Documentary Short Subject everyone seems to pick at random. *this title looks like it could win*

Here's a freebie: The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life is about a 110-year-old Holocaust survivor, who died two days before the voting ballots went out. At the risk of sounding insensitive, it's got that shit on lock.

Wilbur

Banned
I voted. Gravity is going to win best picture. McQueen will win best director. Also, I hate JLaw and think she sucked AH but she is going to win. She shouldn't but she is the "it" girl.

I'd be very surprised if it was that way round. I'm torn between Cuaron and McQueen; former's getting all the guild awards but this is the Oscars, and politics iz politics innit.

Fuck Lawrence though. Never been a big fan of her, wasn't a fan of her in SLP, she was no better than decent in AH, and she's gonna have more Academy Awards than Martin Scorsese at 24.

Hater's Guide is up and...well

Matthew McConaghey: He played a Texan! WHAT A FUCKING STRETCH. Just a remarkable transformation from Regular Laconic Texan to Alarmingly Thin Laconic Texan. It might just be the best Texan role McConaghey has ever played, and Lord knows you have choices in that department. Just look at his iMDB profile!

• Mysterious Texan, True Detective (2014)
  • Scary Texan, Frailty (2001)
  • Horny Texan, Dazed & Confused (1993)
  • Homicidal Texan, Killer Joe (2011)
  • Brave Texan, Lone Star (1996)
  • Guy Literally Named Dallas, Magic Mike (2012)
  • Matt Schaub, Untitled ESPN Docudrama (2018)
I couldn't even see the actor anymore. All I could see was the Texas. Just an amazing performance.

Chiwetel Ejiofor: Pfft. He didn't play a Texan! LAME. By the way, it's gotta be fun to spend weeks in the deathly Louisiana heat, playing a role in which you are beaten and hanged and forced to re-live the horrors of the past, only to be told by the media, "Nah, you have no chance of winning. It's THE YEAR OF THE MCCONAISSANCE. Sorry, guy!" God forbid there be any suspense to this Oscar ceremony. No no, please have the media run 50,000 voter polls so that the outcome becomes ironclad. At least Chris Berman only tips picks the DAY of the draft.

Wait, where's this year's oscars thread?

jett

D-Member
Man pretty much all of my choices are in line with the majority(except for the short/doc film categories). Could this turn out to be a highly predictable Oscars?

And how many back-to-back wins has Streep gotten?

I rest my case.

She has the benefit of being hot at the box office and among younger demographics though.

Wait, where's this year's oscars thread?

If you mean the OT, it should be up on Sunday.

Man pretty much all of my choices are in line with the majority(except for the short/doc film categories). Could this turn out to be a highly predictable Oscars?

It seems that way.

Thread inspired a blogpost:

Congratulations: You Just Won Your Oscars Betting Pool.

(trust me. I'm hardly ever wrong. About anything. Ever.)

(really)

My explanations for how and why I picked what I picked are detailed in that post. The key takeaway: Actually having watched the movies you're voting on isn't necessarily a help when it comes to picking what will win a statue. In fact, in most cases, it's going to fuck you up. Because you fool yourself into believing the awards are a legitimate meritocracy, when they're very much not :)

Ridley327

Thread inspired a blogpost:

Congratulations: You Just Won Your Oscars Betting Pool.

(trust me. I'm hardly ever wrong. About anything. Ever.)

(really)

My explanations for how and why I picked what I picked are detailed in that post. The key takeaway: Actually having watched the movies you're voting on isn't necessarily a help when it comes to picking what will win a statue. In fact, in most cases, it's going to fuck you up. Because you fool yourself into believing the awards are a legitimate meritocracy, when they're very much not :)

Yep. I've seen all but Philomena for this year's best picture nominees, I think that 12 Years a Slave has a lot of issues in the storytelling department that hamper it enough that it's probably near the bottom of the list of the ones I did see, and it's still going to win because it's had the least amount of detractors of any of the nominees.

I will say that I don't agree with you that they won't split for Best Director, however, and there's very one simple fact to support that: if 12 Years a Slave wins, and it's looking incredibly likely, Steve McQueen is going to get an Oscar regardless, as he's one of the nominated producers on the film. Cuaron has won too many awards already for that to not go his way, and Academy voters can feel happy about it since McQueen will be up there accepting the biggest prize of the night.

Jb

Didn't realize 12 years wasn't nominated for best cinematography. Interesting.
I hope Cuaron gets the oscar, rarely has a movie relied so much on the boldness and ambition of its direction like Gravity does.

I will say that I don't agree with you that they won't split for Best Director, however, and there's very one simple fact to support that: if 12 Years a Slave wins, and it's looking incredibly likely, Steve McQueen is going to get an Oscar regardless, as he's one of the nominated producers on the film. Cuaron has won too many awards already for that to not go his way, and Academy voters can feel happy about it since McQueen will be up there accepting the biggest prize of the night.

I still feel that the sci-fi bias is really present at the Academy, and Cuaron could get bumped in the effort to give 12 Years a big party. But it does say something that almost every other guild/awards show has given Cuaron love.

Ridley327

I still feel that the sci-fi bias is really present at the Academy, and Cuaron could get bumped in the effort to give 12 Years a big party. But it does say something that almost every other guild/awards show has given Cuaron love.

I won't deny the genre bias that the Academy has, because it's absolutely true, but I think that Gravity has that rare crossover appeal for the voters because of the thematic content it's handling throughout, and while it's not a staggeringly highbrow film by any stretch, I think that makes an important difference that combined with the quality of the direction itself that makes it really hard for me (and many others) to consider betting against Cuaron, and I think that's also why it wouldn't shock me if Gravity winds up upsetting in the best picture category.

And like you mentioned, it's not like the bias against genre is an Academy-exclusive problem, and Cuaron has had no problems overcoming it elsewhere.

No doubt. Of all the picks, it's the only one that specifically flies in the face of the advice I'm giving at the very top of the article, even with links provided to sites that support your choice :)

(I give myself an out with the Bullock/Blanchett decision, at least)

I'd be more worried about Cuaron if this was an Avatar situation and he didn't win the PGA and the DGA. But he did. And he'll probably get the Best Director on March 2nd, too.

Ridley327

I know Inside Llewyn Davis may not be the greatest movie, but I think it should have been nominated to BP over something like Philomena.

Harvey had to get something in the running, and the reviews for August: Osage County were too brutal to be considered, and awards ceremonies prior to the Oscar nominations didn't take the easy bait in The Butler.

Harvey had to get something in the running, and the reviews for August: Osage County were too brutal to be considered, and awards ceremonies prior to the Oscar nominations didn't take the easy bait in The Butler.

Yeah, it's quite pathetic.

Btw, you only need to vote in the link once. I noticed someone already voted twice.

Strobli

Neo Member
Put my votes in. Interesting because I haven't been following the scene as much add I have in the past, meaning a lot of votes are gut feelings. I'm only really confident in a few (animated, supporting actor)

breakfuss

Just to be clear, once more...this is about who/what I think will win, not my personal choice? And how do you know who's submitted, or is that not important?

UrokeJoe

I don't get the Lupita Nyong'o nomination? She was great, but.... just don't see it

Now 12 Years a Slave yes, and fuck yeah Chiwetel Ejiofor! This man is always awesome. But Lupita I don't get...

breakfuss

I don't get the Lupita Nyong'o nomination? She was great, but.... just don't see it

Now 12 Years a Slave yes, and fuck yeah Chiwetel Ejiofor, this man is always awesome. But Lupita I don't get it...

What saddens me is that I walked out the movie thinking Fassbender was at least one of the shoe-ins and now he's the least likely to win, lol.

So many great movies this year it will be the first time I watch the Oscars.

Gravity will win Technical and Best Director. It might also win for best sound editing and mixing. I love the OST!

12 Years a Slave and Anerican hustle will win some as well.

There goes nothing. Submitted my predics. Supporting Actress could be a closer race than I thought. I originally though Lupita had it on lock, but with Jlaw winning the BAFTA and GG, she might take it.
Hell, maybe we'll see a tie in this category........yeah, probably not.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that Let it Go is dominating the predictions for Original Song. I think Oridinary Love would be the one to take it since Mandela's death recently and it seems like the type of song that appeals to Oscar voters.

There goes nothing. Submitted my predics. Supporting Actress could be a closer race than I thought. I originally though Lupita had it on lock, but with Jlaw winning the BAFTA and GG, she might take it.
Hell, maybe we'll see a tie in this category........yeah, probably not.

That would be kind of cool. I mean, Jlaw winning is lame no matter what, but that would at least be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom