• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Oscar Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Really depressed Frozen is a lock over The Wind Rises. I loved Frozen and thought it was the best animation film. But then saw The Wind Rises and loved it. Sucks that it's not even in consideration though.

Ah well. I think we will get a split for director and best picture, with best picture going to 12 Years A Slave.

Pretty much everything I picked was what the majority ended up with haha. Either everyone's gonna end up winning or no one will

newjeruse

Thread inspired a blogpost:

Congratulations: You Just Won Your Oscars Betting Pool.

(trust me. I'm hardly ever wrong. About anything. Ever.)

(really)

My explanations for how and why I picked what I picked are detailed in that post. The key takeaway: Actually having watched the movies you're voting on isn't necessarily a help when it comes to picking what will win a statue. In fact, in most cases, it's going to fuck you up. Because you fool yourself into believing the awards are a legitimate meritocracy, when they're very much not :)
I admire your confidence, but I think you're bugging with Bullock.

Hey, I gave myself the out w/ Blanchett.

(Basically, if Bullock wins, I win. if Blanchett wins? I WIN)

Cuaron is the one that's gonna screw me over. And I will be HAPPY about that - because Cuaron is fucking amazing.

But the picks are just preamble to the explanations, which are there solely to show how LITTLE the quality of the movie/performance has to do with selecting a winner.

newjeruse

Honestly, my ballot is pretty locked in. The one category I'm having serious trouble with is editing. You would think Gravity would be a shoe-in, but Captain Phillips won the ACE award, which is an extremely accurate predictor.

Cerberus

Honestly, my ballot is pretty locked in. The one category I'm having serious trouble with is editing. You would think Gravity would be a shoe-in, but Captain Phillips won the ACE award, which is an extremely accurate predictor.

I went with Captain Phillips since it won the ACE award. The odds and most of the experts still seem to favor Gravity though.

Yeah, I chose CP for Editing. I figure since it isn't likely to win any other awards they'll give it that.

Cerberus

I went with Lupita because she won the SAG and Lawrence already got her Oscar last year. Only 5 actors have ever won two consecutive awards.

Lawrence has a chance though because of that BAFTA win.

UberTag

I went with Captain Phillips since it won the ACE award. The odds and most of the experts still seem to favor Gravity though.
The ACE awards failed to predict the eventual Oscar winner in film editing just two short years ago.
Both The Artist and The Descendants took home the win at ACE but it was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that bagged the Oscar.

Just saying.

newjeruse

The ACE awards failed to predict the eventual Oscar winner in film editing just two short years ago.
Both The Artist and The Descendants took home the win at ACE but it was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that bagged the Oscar.

Just saying.
That's true. But it has predicted the right one 9 out of the last 10 years. That's an impressive rate.

Ridley327

I'm reading these Brutally Honest Oscar Ballots, and this one was pretty funny:

I eliminated everybody but the one from 12 Years a Slave [Lupita Nyong'o] and Jennifer Lawrence. I didn't vote for Jennifer Lawrence, even though I thought she was very entertaining in the movie, because (a) she just won last year, and (b) we can't give everything to Jennifer Lawrence when she's 22 years old because Jennifer Lawrence will be institutionalized. She will have gotten too much, too soon, too early, and she'll lose her mind. I also didn't think she gave the better performance. I kinda thought the parts of the two women in American Hustle should have been reversed. As for Lupita, it's a great performance -- and she has handled herself impeccably. She has acted like a movie star: she looks great, she is grateful, there's no pictures of her drunk at some party. She's played her part well and she gives an amazing performance.

You hear that? Lupita Nyong'o has this in the bag because she's good at avoiding paparazzi!

Ridley327

OH MY GOD:

I voted for Gravity because the whole movie is a special effect, so I thought this was a pretty easy one. The only special effect of Lone Ranger was how they made $250 million disappear.

Man, I'm ashamed I have not seen The Act of Killing or 12 Years a Slave. I rather watch them in my living room.

edit: i thought Gt a Horse was going to be the favorite by a long shot since you watch it before Frozen

I will be SO angry if Chiwetel doesn't get Best Actor.

I mean, I know the MacConaissance can't be stopped, but Ejiofor had some of the most subtle yet powerful acting I've ever seen in a movie.

And done! I Really hope The Hunt wins for best Foreign Language film.If anyone hasn't watched it Go see it, Mads Mikkelsen Is Great in that.

The website we used to use for Oscar pools had an option for a tiebreaker where you would submit how long you think the ceremony would last in the event of a tie. The person closest to it without going over would be the ultimate winner.

I guess not. I predict many ties, since I assume many are voting for the favorites in the summary link.

Plasmid

Just put in mine for this year. Here's hoping.

I really think The Hunt will win foreign film and that 12 years a slave is gonna clean house tonight.

UberTag

The website we used to use for Oscar pools had an option for a tiebreaker where you would submit how long you think the ceremony would last in the event of a tie. The person closest to it without going over would be the ultimate winner.
What is this? The Price is Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom