• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008 - Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

so_awes

Banned
samusx said:
Here are some shots from Nagoya the other day.
you're the guy on dpreview? how's that tamron? i want to get one for my canon from ebay but i don't think they have the 6 years manufacturer warranty...

do you have the canon 18-200mm IS to compare the two?

nitewulf

BlueTsunami said:
The scene had very strong light being casted down, which made it hard to expose correctly).
also 1 tip for this, this is where you use fill flash. the flash brings down the overall contrast and you get proper exposure. just expose for the well lit backdrop, the fill flash will light up the subject through ETTL metering.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
nitewulf said:
also 1 tip for this, this is where you use fill flash. the flash brings down the overall contrast and you get proper exposure. just expose for the well lit backdrop, the fill flash will light up the subject through ETTL metering.

Flash lighting is definitely a weak point for me. I've barley touched that type of lighting (I pretty much exclusively shoot natural lighting). That's the next area I need to get my hands dirty with!

nitewulf

natural lighting is well and good, but sometime you need fill flash to expose the foreground/subject, used correctly the results are awesome.

webIMGP4671.jpg

webIMGP4708.jpg

webIMGP4650.jpg

Roi

Forsete said:
Random fall shots.

2933855385_9203682f90.jpg

I hate how flickrs sizes go from medium which is 500xYYY to original or whatever which is 1200x. 500 feels too small, 1200 is too big. :/

Nice :)

BlueTsunami

Here's another reworked picture I had taken back in 07' (when I first got the Rebel XT). I used the same split RAW method to bring out the highlights. You can see much better definitions in the clouds.

Old
1103083219_4bc41d298c.jpg

New
2962541673_e98d171e8e.jpg

Another example (though the color processing is different)...

Old
1103932434_7f3827276f.jpg

New
2962642571_3c1951ae32.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just a few I took whilst up at father's house last week.

P1020198.jpg

P1020200.jpg

P1020205.jpg

P1020211.jpg

(blind shot that turned out rather nice, merely held camera down, took the shot without knowing what it'd look like and that's the end product)

P1020208.jpg

P1020214.jpg

I've got a long way to go till I master the art of B&W photography, but I figured once I buy an SLR and get some good lenses it'll be easier to do what I want.

BlueTsunami

speedpop said:
I've got a long way to go till I master the art of B&W photography, but I figured once I buy an SLR and get some good lenses it'll be easier to do what I want.

Shoot in color if you want to process B&W (when shooting Digital). You'll have way more room to mess with contrast and tones (perceived, as in, dropping Green and Blue levels to bring out Reds).

If your really serious about shooting B&W, Film is still supposed to be king (unless you know that already and you meant SLR as in a Film SLR) :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah, the old man has a Panasonic film SLR sitting around that I've been keen to tinker around with.

Hey guys, great photos.

Just wondering, what is the term for photography like this?

strobe-motion-ta-08.jpg

Or say a picture of a skateboarder jumping somewhere and he is in the frame several times showing his different movements.

so_awes

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Here's another reworked picture I had taken back in 07' (when I first got the Rebel XT). I used the same split RAW method to bring out the highlights. You can see much better definitions in the clouds.
what is this method? care to share??

BlueTsunami

so_awes said:
what is this method? care to share??

Its fairly easy but here are the programs you'll need

If your on Canon, you can use DPP (Digital Photo Professional). If you've got Photoshop CS2/CS3, you'll be using ACR Raw Conversion tool (this tool is better at recovering Highlights than DPP). So use CS3 if you can.

The second app you'll be using is Photomatix (to use the split RAW files and merge them into an HDR image).

When you've got those apps setup... you'll be doing this for most of your RAW files...

1) Open up DPP or ACR, drop/raise the exposure amount by stops (-1 to -4 and +1 to +4 if you want to use the full range) and save/convert the file at those stops. So in ACR you would drop the exposure to -4 then go to "Save Image" and save it as a TIFF files (name it -4). Do this for however many stops you want to break off (I usually go down to -4 and just do +1 when converting day shots). ACR is way easier to have this done than DPP.

2) After you've split off the various stops (making sure each one has the correct stoppage name), open up Photomatix and load up the TIFF files. It will tell you that it can't figure out which file is which so it'll want you to assign the correct stops for each file (so assign -4 for file -4 etc).

3)Hit the process button and it'll create the HDR image (don't worry how the image looks here, its HDR image that your monitor can't handle)... hit Tone Map and you'll be taken to a screen that has a bunch of options to tweak the image. Tweak it to your preference, hit process.

4) The final image will be shown to you, if your satisfied with it, you can save it as is or save it as a 16Bit TIFF file and do some final tweaks in Photoshop.

That's it!

DSC_4499.jpg

This is the only alternative I could conjure up for the Roads Streets Highways assignment. Snapped this one on the way to the office. Hey, I'm Chinese and even I'm laughing!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
going to Ann Arbor in Michigan tomorrow for a couple of days on business. I'll have a few hours free to wander around, and I was wondering if it'd be worth taking my camera? I'd prefer to travel hand baggage only, but that'll be a stretch with my camera along with everything else.

Always-honest said:
yummie. what lens did you use for the grasshopper?

Yeah, that is what I'm wondering too. I'm trying to learn myself the art of macro photography but I only have a kitlens 18-70 atm.

so_awes

Banned
Pizza Luigi said:
Yeah, that is what I'm wondering too. I'm trying to learn myself the art of macro photography but I only have a kitlens 18-70 atm.
for those pics, i used the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro and the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro.

BlueTsunami

I absolutely love that butterfly picture, so_awes. The little vortex just adds to that "macro world" feel.

BlueTsunami

Messing with DIY Custom Bokeh: http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh

This image was taken of my window, it had just rained so there was a bunch of droplets on the window. The street light was illuminating them. I used my 50mm f/1.4 lens @ 1.4 (larger aperture = more pronounced effect), threw the light and droplets out of focus and voila!

2982448797_afd975b913_o.jpg

Here's the paper filter...

Grimlock

Might as well throw these up. Went to the Georgia Aquarium yesterday with my K20 and both of my Sigma lenses (17-70 2.8-4.5 & 70-200 2.8). Some of what I came back with:

2983733894_3764c5759a_o.jpg

2982877129_4b676d566a_o.jpg

2983734626_0bc02c21d0_o.jpg

2983735020_9f08f2d87f_o.jpg

2982877033_68bf6d7663_o.jpg

2983735234_a2cb2127ea_o.jpg

2982877267_ba7a2aa2fb_o.jpg

2982878239_c3f68501dc_o.jpg

2982877889_f6d16990cb_o.jpg

2982877201_3f109150de_o.jpg

2983734724_cdbc3d3b00_o.jpg

I freakin' love my Sigmas.

And a few shots from Dragon Con this year-I'll make up a cosplay thread just as soon as I figure out something witty for about 200 shots from the past 2 months.

2953159605_fe8c06fe3e_o.jpg

2953997920_a10212f284_o.jpg

2953134913_ceacdd0edf_o.jpg

2953172531_435c9a7ed3_o.jpg

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
Messing with DIY Custom Bokeh: http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh

This image was taken of my window, it had just rained so there was a bunch of droplets on the window. The street light was illuminating them. I used my 50mm f/1.4 lens @ 1.4 (larger aperture = more pronounced effect), threw the light and droplets out of focus and voila!

That is so very cool. I've gotta try this at some point. Just as a side note, BlueTsunami, you've gone nuts on photo-graphy! Pretty much advancing at a light speed through so many different techniques. But even in comparison to many others here, I feel stagnant (Partially, I've been photographing people more, and I'm not that keen with posting people on the interwebs).

Grimlock said:
Might as well throw these up. Went to the Georgia Aquarium yesterday with my K20 and both of my Sigma lenses (17-70 2.8-4.5 & 70-200 2.8).
those are great. i have the 17-70 myself. i really want the 70-200 to, but i might go for the 120 - 300mm...
a friend of mine has the 70-200 and i used it for a couple of days.. wow.. really great

Flo

cloudwalking said:
i really love the photos, everyone! bluetsunami, i really love what you've done with the plant photos. they all look great, my favourite is the last one with the blue hues and the black... gorgeous.

and thanks for the sharpening tips! i've often had to "rescue" my photos with the use of sharpening techniques, because i don't yet have a tripod, so in low light situations i'm prone to a little camera shake in my photos. getting better about it though!

i went to visit the breeders of my siberian cat (oh no, not more cat pictures :p) last night. they just had two litters of kittens. i took a few photos, not all of them turned out great, since kittens don't stand still. i like what i got though:
These pics are amazingly cute!! Make more of these! :D

BlueTsunami

Always-honest said:
wow tsunami... that looks awsome.... really great

so what is the shutter speed i this image?

The shutter was set at 3 seconds (set on a tripod of course). I used manual and underexposed so just the lights would come through. Here's a shot I had taken after the drops evaporated with the outside exposed better...

The bottom cross is a reflection off the top of the car (of the streetlight). The filter caused both points of light to change in this way. The results should be better when I've messed with this technique outside (the dirty window messes with the IQ). I think it gives it personality though (the grittiness).

mrkgoo said:
That is so very cool. I've gotta try this at some point. Just as a side note, BlueTsunami, you've gone nuts on photo-graphy! Pretty much advancing at a light speed through so many different techniques. But even in comparison to many others here, I feel stagnant (Partially, I've been photographing people more, and I'm not that keen with posting people on the interwebs).

Thanks, mrkgoo! And yeah, I can understand the not posting picture of people... I do the exact same thing (pictures of family and whatnot).

BlueTsunami

I love the reds and the blues in your shots nitewulf.

Here's some more Custom Bokeh stuff from me (well, one shot). I cut out a heart shape and created a hood for it (77mm, to fit on my 50mm f/1.4). Helps when your trying to focus, the paper won't hit against the front of the lens.

Here's the filter:

2985285765_3cb4fab607_o.jpg

Here's a shot with filter:

2986113836_0f16d634a4_o.jpg

You can see that I did a hack job at cutting out the heart. The single "OoF" light is actually my Card Readers LED. I'm actually thinking of getting some hole punchers (with various shapes) just for this :lol . The picture I took could easily be done with photoshop but I think this technique shines when you've got an assload of "out of focus" lights. Can't wait to use it in portraits.

Grimlock said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/2982877201_3f109150de_o.jpg

I meant to comment on this before but this shot is freakin' fantastic <3

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The flowers that I believe I posted before, now dying right before being laid to rest.
2985516033_ce871f80ed_b.jpg

and an alternate for my submission for Road, Streets, And Highways.
2985516031_04401435e7.jpg

BlueTsunami

Was in the mood to shoot something, anything. Rummaged through some of my old boxes and found these Japanese Chimes I had picked up at a flea market, years ago. Used my window for lighting...

2991767213_967da56ce2_o.jpg

2991817077_6e88f2b6c5_o.jpg

Forsete

Gold Member
Roi said:

Thanks. :)

There are lots of old farms around here. Old earth cellars probably from 1600 sometime. Its really like going back 100 years when your there. :)

So I got this cat who's been here for 2 days now and it she does not want to leave.
She follows me around everywhere and does not like to be alone.
2994934314_550780ee5f.jpg

Shes not fully grown but she obviously belongs to someone. I'm thinking of putting up a note at the local store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom