• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008 - Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
AlteredBeast said:
A few pictures from Halloween. As always, click to enlarge. :)

I love this shot

So, I went out this morning to take some shots with the morning sun and came back with some pictures. Some great tonalities came out of this batch (I think). The theme of this outing was getting familiar with depth and how distance from your in focus subject effects the feeling of depth. Also, just playing around with other stuff.

*Like AlteredBeast, click the images for the larger version... if all of these picture are slowing down this page, let me know!

BlueTsunami

Cosmic Bus said:
Do you have an even larger version of this one you could upload?

I can output to a larger res if you want (I only output at 800px for web viewing). How big do you want it?

Here's a bunch from a recent hike, all taken with the Canon 10-22 wide-angle.

RSZ_2616ps.jpg

RSZ_2632ps.jpg

RSZ_2669ps.jpg

RSZ_2781ps.jpg

RSZ_2785ps.jpg

RSZ_2790ps.jpg

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I've been busy/banned lately and haven't done much shooting, but there's been some amazing stuff in here as of late. Blue's especially been on a tear.

Nothing great, just Krallice playing at The Studio at Webster Hall a few weeks ago.

dsc_8521ppd_700d7024.jpg

dsc_8536ppd_700efa6c.jpg

dsc_8571ppd_70031e6f.jpg

dsc_8544ppd_700484ca.jpg

dsc_8562ppd_7006b70e.jpg

dsc_8576ppd_700d72f6.jpg

dsc_8597ppd_700ac2a9.jpg

dsc_8602ppd_700ac460.jpg

dsc_8545ppd_70030a18.jpg

dsc_8520ppd_7003cd3b.jpg

Hopefully I'll be out shooting more soon. Though I do need to find some glomittens or those really good super thin gloves that allow you to still control dials and such fairly unhindered.

That and I have to review anti-condensation precautions again.

BlueTsunami

Cosmic Bus said:
Thanks, BT, I appreciate it (and so many of the photos everyone posts here, too!).

No prob! :D

AlteredBeast said:
Great pictures, BlueT, keep em coming guys!

Always-honest said:
BlueTsunami, looks you are reaching a point where you can find a good shot no matter where or what you're shooting

Thanks, guys. I was just "in the zone", Always-honest. I had a very strong urge to just take pictures that morning.

Also, here's an example shot for anyone that's looking into a Prime lens for a Canon DSLR. This was shot at ISO100 f/2.5 with my 50mm f/1.4.

Full Image (this was post processed to have the desaturated look. Its not indicative of lens color performance)
35mdwkh.jpg

100%
20acjdj.jpg

Under natural lighting, this thing is razor sharp.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
New to the world of DSLRs — just recently bought a 450D. I definitely need a couple of additional lenses, so thanks for the great examples of what the 50mm f/1.4 can do, BlueTsunami. Though I'm leaning toward purchasing a telephoto before that; I've never owned a digital camera with less than an 8x optical zoom, so I feel kind of naked with the kit lens ATM.

BlueTsunami

vatstep said:
New to the world of DSLRs — just recently bought a 450D. I definitely need a couple of additional lenses, so thanks for the great examples of what the 50mm f/1.4 can do, BlueTsunami. Though I'm leaning toward purchasing a telephoto before that; I've never owned a digital camera with less than an 8x optical zoom, so I feel kind of naked with the kit lens ATM.

Are you looking for a Zoom lens? Within the DSLR world, most of the Super Zooms (as in, going from Wide focal length to Telephoto) aren't too hot. Though the 24-105mm f/4 IS L is supposed to be good. The thing with that lens is, the widest focal length is really just like... 40mm on a crop sensor (I believe, I probably have the conversion wrong). You hit a good amount of different focal lengths though.

Once you have that in the bag, dive into the world of fast primes, you won't be disappointed :)

Here are off kilt shots from me. Was working on the car with my dad (replacing the front end tie rods) and had the chance to fire off some.

3005660205_68faf83c79.jpg

3005102273_845ffd0fa9.jpg

3005937034_edfbfa24f7.jpg

3005101975_eb56d6eff5.jpg

My Flickr page, for higher res shots: www.flickr.com/bluetsunami

In other new... Lord save me, I've been stricken by the Zeiss lust. Not due to sharpness of the lens but how Zeiss renders color. Its very solid, punchy and neutral (true to life). Its just a joy to see and hard to reproduce in post. I'm seriously giving thought to buying the ZF (Nikon mount) Zeiss Distagon 28mm f/2. Its full Manual focus (no Auto Focus) and has an Aperture Ring (you need to use Stop-Down Metering off the body). I think its cool since you'll have to slow yourself down when approaching a shot (due to having to manually tweak everything). I believe it also has a 9" minimum focus distance (which is ridiculously close).

vatstep said:

I dig this shot btw. I've always had a thing for abstract/texture shots in general.

Jirotrom

BlueTsunami said:
I love this shot

So, I went out this morning to take some shots with the morning sun and came back with some pictures. Some great tonalities came out of this batch (I think). The theme of this outing was getting familiar with depth and how distance from your in focus subject effects the feeling of depth. Also, just playing around with other stuff.

*Like AlteredBeast, click the images for the larger version... if all of these picture are slowing down this page, let me know!

you have a fantastic eye

BlueTsunami

Jirotrom said:
you have a fantastic eye

Also, if you guys have ever read about Zeiss lenses and ever wondered what the hullabaloo (lol) about them was... here's a fantastic link that gives one of Zeiss's particular lens justice (fantastic photographer handling the lens too)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyshin/tags/makroplanart1002zf/page7/

*He's using a Zeiss Makro Planar 100mm f/2 (1:2 life size). If you notice, the image are obscene as far as how they just "pop". This usually takes a good amount of Post processing to get an image to look like this (even then, you can tell when a photgraph has been overly processed) but this is standard fare straight out the camera. Leica lenses are the same.

BlueTsunami

thaivo said:

Love water droplet shots. This one is great!

Lucky Forward said:
Canon 20D with 85mm 1.2L, I achieved the colors "in camera" with a Cokin blue/yellow polarizer.

Do you prefer using a physical filter over digitally processing it? I've read from people that they just prefer to Post Process whatever color filter but in lots of cases you can tell its been processed.

BlueTsunami said:
Do you prefer using a physical filter over digitally processing it? I've read from people that they just prefer to Post Process whatever color filter but in lots of cases you can tell its been processed.
You really can't post process a polarizer effect. A polarizer in front of the lens is physically interacting with the light, letting in reflections from some angles but not from others and can have varying effects throughout a photo. In the same landscape scene, a polarizer can darken the sky, pop out the clouds, reduce glare on leaves to bring out the green, remove the shine on wet rocks, and allow you to see down into water. You have to capture all of that on-site, you can't really add it with a photoshop filter.

The blue/yellow polarizer in particular tints reflected light from one angle blue and light from another angle yellow, so you get the cool/warm effects simultaneously on the rocks and water.

BlueTsunami

thatbox said:
I need to know how to get these skies and what it is going to cost me.

A good Circular Polarizer and any wide angle lens :)

Just meter (expose) the sky correctly.

Lucky Forward said:
The blue/yellow polarizer in particular tints reflected light from one angle blue and light from another angle yellow, so you get the cool/warm effects simultaneously on the rocks and water.

That's pretty cool. I can see a bunch of applications for that. I would actually use the Split Toning function in Lightroom (apply an arbitrary color for Highlights and Shadows) to sort of achieve this effect but your pictures show that its still better looking when done off the camera (still retains certain pigments and just looks like a color image still).

Also, you have the 85L? Jesus... must be fun to shoot with!

samusx

Banned
Took these photos yesterday afternoon at the Kiyomizu temple in Kyoto. Hope you enjoy.

Shots taken with a Canon Kiss X2 and the Tamron 17-50 lens.

img_2760-800x1200521.jpg

img_2762-1200x800472.jpg

img_2765-799x1200670.jpg

img_2766-1200x800240.jpg

img_2770-1200x799835.jpg

img_2803-800x1200112.jpg

img_2844-800x1200134.jpg

img_2883-1200x800532.jpg

img_2916-800x1200962.jpg

img_2954-799x1200224.jpg

kiyomizu_pana-799x1200263.jpg

pagoda_fix-799x1200336.jpg

untitled_hdr2-800x1200880.jpg

wall_pano-424x1200649.jpg

night_view-1200x351321.jpg

Grimlock

As usual, plenty of good eyes among the group we have on this board.

A rejected version of my shot in the Texture Assignment. This one had the sharpening layer kept at 100% opacity.
1ysmbs.jpg

Click here for the full-sized (1800X1200) version.
This was going to be my submission, but I wasn't happy with the way I framed it, and I thought the full-tilt sharpening, along with the high contrast & clarity applied in Camera Raw, made it look too much like an oil-painting.

Edit: I changed my mind and swapped out my selection.

Grimlock

Hmm....it does, but I've never been fond of highly-manipulated images. Admittedly, I wasn't going for a realistic image when I was running it through Camera RAW, but I've always considered myself more of a "naturalist" shooter. I mean, I'll like clean up blemishes off of people shots and fix exposure problems and such, but I typically strive for "that's what it looked like when I saw it".

And, for the record, here's what the shot originally looked like. Only things I did here was sharpen at my normal level after resizing. No RAW manipulation outside of my normal settings (turn sharpening all the way off in RAW, and some noise reduction).
a2fbq9.jpg

Big version here.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
imo, that's the best of the three. :) I am a big sucker for 'that's what it looked like when I took it." Everybody does so much post-processing nowadays. In my opinion, if you want a shot to look a certain way, most of the times, you should just take the picture that way. :p

Great pictures the three of them, though :)

BlueTsunami

Went out to McD's to get some late night grub. Looked to my side and thought the lighting was pretty dramatic, the parking lot light being turned into an orange orb due to the large aperture (f/1.4) was definitely a plus...

3037180504_f1f3483bf8_o.jpg

BlueTsunami

so_awes said:
speaking of 1.4....
3037213532_a74cf50c29.jpg

3036378137_5f62ddf91f.jpg

just got it :D

Omg! I've was reading about it recently. Its supposed to have extremely smooth bokeh at close distances. It's also sharp and has good colors wide open. Great purchase! If I ever give up my 50mm for another AF 50mm it'll be that particular lens.

so_awes

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Omg! I've was reading about it recently. Its supposed to have extremely smooth bokeh at close distances. It's also sharp and has good colors wide open. Great purchase! If I ever give up my 50mm for another AF 50mm it'll be that particular lens.
that's why I got it. and it's a brand new 50mm f/1.4 since...forever.

added you back ;) :lol

Jirotrom

so_awes said:
that's why I got it. and it's a brand new 50mm f/1.4 since...forever.

added you back ;) :lol
I just got a 50mm f/1.4 zuiko prime lens, serial number above 1,100,000. Took me friggen forever to get that lens.

so_awes

Banned
Jirotrom said:
I just got a 50mm f/1.4 zuiko prime lens, serial number above 1,100,000. Took me friggen forever to get that lens.
is that lens cheap? i assume they don't make it anymore, right?

what about the adapter, that cheap?

hookedonritalin said:
very nice!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I believe Jirotrom shoots on an Olympus, I don't think he uses an adapter.

I want that lens, btw. How much did it set you back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom