• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 124: Shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
First Place: Pringles - Beautiful location.

Runner-up: Avocado - Love the tones and the details. Wish desperately that it was a portrait rather than just a static photo of the 'shelter.'

Comments:

Crunched - Great colours and a nice take on the theme. I think a wider DOF would have benefited the photo greatly.

AnkitT - Your photos are always eye opening.

Jzero15 - Nice colours, but the photo seems a little crooked to me.

brerwolfe - It's interesting and the contrast between the yellow and the blue is striking. Good job! An honourable mention.

nelsonroyale - Cute dog, wish he'd been looking at the lens.

BigJonsson - I like the idea, but the photo is incredibly cool/blue, could have used some warming up, or maybe you could have returned at a different time of day (golden hour)?

chaostrophy - Like nelsonroyale's photo, I like the idea, but the execution just seems a little off to me. The focus needs to fall on the cat's eye and a bit more contrast or dynamic lighting would have worked wonders. An honourable mention.

BlueTsunami - I hate to say it, but I don't really think this is up to your usual standards. I like the idea of the church as a shelter within the city, and the photo leads the eye naturally towards it, but otherwise the execution is a little bland.

HenryGale - Makes me laugh and feel sad at the same time.

And, to everyone who has voted for my photo, thanks!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The winner of this assignment is Avocado! Congrats!

Runner up is chaostrophy!

I got confused and just assumed that was the end.

Had I known I would've been able to enter... :( Ah well.

Some absolutely great entries this month, but I'd have to go with:

1. Avocado
2. pringles

Sorry about that :(

BlueTsunami - I hate to say it, but I don't really think this is up to your usual standards. I like the idea of the church as a shelter within the city, and the photo leads the eye naturally towards it, but otherwise the execution is a little bland.

Yeah, looking back on it its definitely safe and unremarkable especially placed against the other entries. If anything its made me think about other angles and ways I could have tackled this scene to fit the assignment and be more dynamic in some way. I think choosing a B&W conversion wasn't a good idea on my part since it seems to be imparting coldness from the photo.

pringles

Congrats Avocado!

I was just in the progress of writing my comments on each photo, here they are:

Crunched : nice colors, but the subject isn't lit well enough for it to warrant such a narrow focus on it.

AnkitT : looks like a cool place, I think you could have done something with a DSLR. This is just too low quality, muddy camera-phone shot for me.

Jzero15 : good colors and pretty good composition but I don't like the way it's unnecessarily slanted.

brerwolfe : cool shot, and definitely a very weird 'cocoon'-thing. Any new progress on it? I like the photo, just didn't really feel it conveys 'shelter' to me.

nelsonroyale : I agree with aidan, if the dog had been looking at the camera it had been a better photo.

Avocado : beautiful lighting and great focus, lots of detail and texture. great work.

BigJonsson : I'm with aidan here too, the tones are too cold/blueish. On a photo like this I think black & white would have worked well. Additionally the birdhouse is leaning slightly to the left in the frame, which is putting me off a little bit.

Chaostrophy : I like the idea, and the colors of the cat and the blanket/cover work well together. You didn't quite nail the focus however, and I'm not sure I like that there's so much white at the bottom of the photo.

aidan : lovely colors, like you usually have in your photos. great idea with the umbrellas/raincoats as shelter. Definitely impressed with the quality you manage to get out of the 4S, I hope you don't get too carried away with it though and start leaving your DSLR at home ;-)

BlueTsunami : I quite like this shot, the contrast between the left and right sides make B&W an excellent choice imo and the composition with the church in the center is good, although it would have been even better without the other building in the center right. I wonder if you could have repositioned to not have that in the frame? Not feeling like this one had the strongest connection to the theme either, but nevertheless a nice photo.

HenryGale : I'm kinda getting 'prison' from this rather than 'shelter' :p. The foreground is distracting too, you should have moved closer to the monkey.

Jzero

Jzero15 - Nice colours, but the photo seems a little crooked to me.

Jzero15 : good colors and pretty good composition but I don't like the way it's unnecessarily slanted.
Yea i know i never have time to shoot calmly. i always take my images while i'm bike riding to school.

Avocado

Wow, thanks a lot guys!

I've never done this before (and coincidently I've only now moved from Junior to a Member) but I guess that within the next few days I have to make the next theme/topic, right?

Yea, I took a quick photo and didn't find time to go take a better one

There are some squirrels that live in that birdhouse, unfortunately every time I saw them with them chilling at the entrance they would run away before I could get outside :(

What is the next assignment?

thatbox

Banned
Wow, thanks a lot guys!

I've never done this before (and coincidently I've only now moved from Junior to a Member) but I guess that within the next few days I have to make the next theme/topic, right?

Yep, just copy the OP and update it with your theme, then bump this thread with a link to your new one.

pringles

Wow, thanks a lot guys!

So how's it going?

We should really get a new assignment up ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom