• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q2 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCDAWG7

First Dragonfly of the spring

17945059401_af8cdaebfd_b.jpg

EvB

cool IR shots, you mentioned using a modded camera. How'd you do that?

Literally dismantle the camera until you can see the sensor , there is usually a little plate of glass sitting infront of the sensor. This is the IR filter, remove this and reassemble and you have a camera that is no longer blocking IR light.

You then start getting weird colour photos as the sensor is seeing both the regular wavelengths of light and now a load of IR light.

You then put a filter on the front or infront of your lens that blocks out a chunk of the visible light and you are left with just a certain portion of IR light as your image.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I've taken the encouragement of others as well as many suggestions that i do so and created a 500px account. Would be a dream if i could manage to sell something on the site, something i had never considered even possible.

Any support from all you here would melt my heart.

https://500px.com/AdamTreffiletti

I feel dirty even promoting myself like this :/

snaffles

Some great photos in this thread. Just started taking photos again and messing around with photoshop the last couple of weeks, enjoying it so much I decided to buy a new camera which should be here later in the week hopefully.

Some stuff from the last few days.
dragonresize71uhk.jpg

redcowresize1fuen.jpg

Porcile

Some great photos in this thread. Just started taking photos again and messing around with photoshop the last couple of weeks, enjoying it so much I decided to buy a new camera which should be here later in the week hopefully.

Some stuff from the last few days.
dragonresize71uhk.jpg

redcowresize1fuen.jpg

Are these photoshopped or are you using an IR filter? The bottom one looks like old Kodak Aerochrome IR film.

Sami+

Sylvia by Sami Mckee, on Flickr

Sylvia by Sami Mckee, on Flickr

Tallahassee by Sami Mckee, on Flickr

Mimi by Sami Mckee, on Flickr

DSC07336 by Sami Mckee, on Flickr

Zach and Mimi by Sami Mckee, on Flickr

Zach and Mimi by Sami Mckee, on Flickr

snaffles

That girls eyes look awesome, they are contacts? Is Flickr the best place to upload photos these days? I have still just been using abload.

More colour tomfoolery.
purpleleavese4u2d.jpg

New camera showed up this morning so it was time for an exciting photoshoot... of the washing line, I'll go out later in the week once I have figured out the labyrinthine menu system on the damn thing and try some more interesting targets.
pegs3aubk.jpg

Sami+

That girls eyes look awesome, they are contacts? Is Flickr the best place to upload photos these days? I have still just been using abload.

More colour tomfoolery.
purpleleavese4u2d.jpg

New camera showed up this morning so it was time for an exciting photoshoot... of the washing line, I'll go out later in the week once I have figured out the labyrinthine menu system on the damn thing and try some more interesting targets.
pegs3aubk.jpg

Yeah, her and her boyfriend (my main bro) are really into that flashy Japanese fashion scene. He has grays (idk if you can see em in these shots) and she has a bunch of colors.

I think Flickr is best. More convenient than abload for sure.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a canon eos d1000 today on eBay. I know it's old, and it's not the best thing on earth, but it was priced surprisingly OK (130 Euros) and comes with a bunch of stuff.

I never planned this, it was as spontaneous as probably possible, and I still ponder the buy, but what the hell. Never had a reflex camera before. Gonna be fun :)

Should I store my stuff on flickr or a tumblr or something? Everyone here seems to use flickr.

Sami+

I bought a canon eos d1000 today on eBay. I know it's old, and it's not the best thing on earth, but it was priced surprisingly OK (130 Euros) and comes with a bunch of stuff.

I never planned this, it was as spontaneous as probably possible, and I still ponder the buy, but what the hell. Never had a reflex camera before. Gonna be fun :)

Should I store my stuff on flickr or a tumblr or something? Everyone here seems to use flickr.

Just go with flickr. It's built specifically for photography unlike tumblr.

grmlin

Flickr is free, has tons of free storage, and has great support by apps etc.

The 1000D is a great little camera for this price. Have fun!

Literally dismantle the camera until you can see the sensor , there is usually a little plate of glass sitting infront of the sensor. This is the IR filter, remove this and reassemble and you have a camera that is no longer blocking IR light.

You then start getting weird colour photos as the sensor is seeing both the regular wavelengths of light and now a load of IR light.

You then put a filter on the front or infront of your lens that blocks out a chunk of the visible light and you are left with just a certain portion of IR light as your image.

Ha, sounds like quite the project did you do this to the camera you mainly use or do you know have a IR camera?

Would you guys recommend Samsung NX Mini? I need to take various depth of field shots.
NO.

Man up and buy a NX3000! (preferably with the 16-50mm lens) It's not a lot more money and now that's a very good camera. Don't skim on details like that.

sensor-Samsung-NX3000-Samsung-NX-mini.png

Proper SLR sensor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> compact camera sensor.

And no, it won't feel way bigger:

Samsung-NX-mini-vs-Samsung-NX3000-size-comparison.jpg

Samsung-NX-mini-vs-Samsung-NX3000-top-view-size-comparison.jpg

EvB

Ha, sounds like quite the project did you do this to the camera you mainly use or do you know have a IR camera?

It's not as hard as it sounds, just figuring out where all the screws and clips are in the camera casing is the hardest bit. Otherwise it's actually very simple.
So inititally I bought a super cheap canon point and shoot off ebay for £20 and had a play, then once I'd kinda got a feel for what it allowed I bought a Samsung NX3000 for £200 and have been using that.

I might grab an APS-C body at some point and use it with my main lenses. Problem is when you remove the IR filter plate from inside the camera, it interferes with the autofocus , so you'd have to use it in live view or manual focus only.

So I've been shooting 35mm on a Pentax K1000 & 50mm Lens. It's been a blast also about 20 years from my last roll of film. Not only is the look amazing but I really slow down and compose before I snap the shutter.

Most of the shots are on Kodak Gold 400 or 200.

huJfVOl.jpg

PCJSYQa.jpg

zFJiG15.jpg

7OPt2eP.jpg

Some Shots from Liverpool and Wales

Syl6Iqr.jpg

mSbgSz5.jpg

XgVAmqg.jpg

XPCc6nk.jpg

and finally my Turntable

i0NslTw.jpg

popeutlal

NO.

Man up and buy a NX3000! (preferably with the 16-50mm lens) It's not a lot more money and now that's a very good camera. Don't skim on details like that.

sensor-Samsung-NX3000-Samsung-NX-mini.png

Proper SLR sensor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> compact camera sensor.

And no, it won't feel way bigger:

Samsung-NX-mini-vs-Samsung-NX3000-size-comparison.jpg

Samsung-NX-mini-vs-Samsung-NX3000-top-view-size-comparison.jpg
Thanks for the information, would rather go with the Sony A5000 or with NX3000? Both have the same size sensor.

Also the NX3000 comes in different packages, power zoom and compact zoom. Which one is recommend for a light weight lens?
Thanks.

Number45

So I've been shooting 35mm on a Pentax K1000 & 50mm Lens. It's been a blast also about 20 years from my last roll of film. Not only is the look amazing but I really slow down and compose before I snap the shutter.
There's something about film shots that digital can't quite emulate. These are great.

Thanks for the information, would rather go with the Sony A5000 or with NX3000? Both have the same size sensor.
I would still go with that Samsung.

Samsung is new to this, they have been few years in the market, but they've been investing heavily and updating their flagship (APS-C) cameras for the better every step of the way. They're not joking around and they clearly want to gobble the market up, they also see Sony as their biggest competitor.

Hence, whilst trying to close the distance (in sales) they produced 3 new kit lens in 3 years. The 18-55mm who I would say is crap, 20-50mm who is very good but has no image stabilization and the 16-50mm who is probably the best lens kit in the market, or rather, it's not a lens kit at all, but something they made a lens kit out of as a means to improve their camera's out-of-the-box performance.

Sony equivalent lens are not comparable at all. To be blunt... The best Sony cameras have had, from a few years ago to this day, better sensors than most (but at the same price as their competitors... not really, for they know they can sell their good products, the ones not matched by the rest of the market at a premium), but despite this they often do have worse lens as Sony doesn't seem to care much about those - specially the ones they offer with the camera. Samsung doesn't introduce a new sensor every year (they currently have two APS-C in the market, the 20.3 megapixel one introduced in Q4 2011/2012 and the new 28 megapixel one from Q4 2014/2015), and because of *that* they chose to close the distance investing heavily in lens technology just so their sensors could shine.

Most companies don't really touch up their lens kit offerings often, and I'd assume Samsung won't from this point onwards either, but they have kit lens to make both Canon and Nikon not only jealous but feel bad about their offerings. The "sale" price won't last forever, and it's possible/likely that they'll stop giving the 16-50mm lens to entry range cameras, and instead bundle the 20-50mm lens in a few years time, but as is, it's a steal and something that really sells their mount IMO. After all, you get a good lens with it rather than some shit lens, which is the norm.

The lowdown boils down to...

Samsung 16-50mm lens:

At 16mm it records 2,327 lines per picture height on a center-weighted sharpness test, which is better than the 1,800 lines we use to mark an image as sharp. The outer edges of the image are often a problem area with compact zoom lenses like this, as we've seen with the Sony 16-50mm Retractable Zoom and Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ. But even at f/3.5 it scores 1,962 lines. There's a moderate improvement in sharpness at f/4 (2,402 lines) and resolution peaks at f/5.6 (2,552 lines).

At the 24mm position the maximum aperture narrows to f/4 and the lens shows 2,422 lines on a center-weighted test, with edges that top 2,000 lines. There's moderate improvement at f/5.6 (2,516 lines). The story is about the same at 35mm f/5 (2,655 lines) and f/8 (2,794 lines). At 50mm f/5.6 the lens scores 2,636 lines and improves a bit at f/8 (2,755 lines). If you shoot in JPG mode distortion is automatically corrected, but if you work in Raw you'll have to contend with about 2.4 percent barrel distortion at 16mm.

Sony 16-50mm lens:

At its widest aperture and the midpoint of its zoom, 33mm, it just barely hits the 1,800 lines per picture height that we used to mark a sharp photo—at 16mm it scores 1,666 lines and it drops back down to 1,663 lines at 50mm. Closing the aperture down to f/8 improves the score—that gets you 1,802 lines at 16mm, 1,885 lines at 33mm, and 1,777 lines at 50mm. Shooting at a smaller aperture won't be a problem in decent light, although it will limit your ability to create a shallow depth of field. The lens is optically stabilized, but if the light gets dim you will likely be shooting at its maximum aperture.

(...) you'll notice that shots at 16mm have a distinct fisheye look to them. At that setting the lens shows a ridiculous amount of barrel distortion—9 percent
Source: http://uk.pcmag.com/sony-16-50mm-re...134/review/sony-16-50mm-retractable-zoom-lens

tl;dr (I'm effectively splashing all this on you, sorry) Sony included lens offering are hideous. Samsung has the best camera kit lens in the market versus... something that's barely sharp at it's highest aperture and whilst shooting in auto mode will almost always compensate by making the aperture higher than it needed. To be fair most kit lens are bad under f/8, but these Sony lens are bad at f/8 if they still struggle to get 1800 lines, and that's just not the case with Samsung lenses.

The Samsung sensor albeit very good is an aging one, first introduced late 2011 and appearing in every APS-C new camera since then until the NX1 came out last September, there's no contest some Sony cameras beat this sensor out of the water, APS-C cameras like the Alpha 77 or the A5100 (who doesn't cost the same as a A5000 for they are very different cameras), as of now it's not even Samsung's flagship anymore but if you went with the A5100 you'd be paying more and still have worse included lens. And that makes a bigger difference than the small sensor jump.

The A5000 though, has an inferior sensor to the Samsung as it performs considerably worse in low light, worse lens, worse everything.
Also the NX3000 comes in different packages, power zoom and compact zoom. Which one is recommend for a light weight lens?
Thanks.
The 16-50mm lens is where it's at.

20-50mm are also good, but they sell all the lens kit configurations at the same price, usually, so you might as well go for the best ones.

As for size...

travel position:

samsung_kit-1-von-2.jpg

Uncollapsed/maximum lenght:

samsung_kit-2-von-2.jpg

16-50mm > 20-50mm > 18-55mm

A case where less is more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom