• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays Overlooked Indie Games

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
ONhtT.png

The issue:
There are TONS of indie games that are either free, or have demos that still dont get any attention. I think its a shame that most of these games get utterly ignored even on GAF, despite being openly available to everyone (side note: similar problem with free music, btw) I considered doing a second part to Salsas "Thread of overlooked PC indie games recommendation" thread, but felt like lists that long might be a bit too intimidating for many. In the end, most people will just cherry pick some from that huge list since they dont have time/money to check all of them anyway. Second problem, those lists are most of the time rather Steam centric, and while I love Steam, those games arent really the ones that need the attention the most. Games that made it to Steam basically are in the top league already compared to all the smaller self-published games or games on Desura for example.

My proposal:
I have a huge list of rather unknown games (from all genres) that could turn out to be great games and games that I KNOW are very good. So lets take our time to try these games. We could start out easily enough with me proposing one game to play each week (only games that are either free or have a demo, so that everyone can participate). People come here, grab the game, talk about it and if I am feeling like it, I'll add GAF quotes to the game posts, compiling a list of all games we played in the process with the thoughts/inputs from other Gaffers.

If the thread dies down, I'll just create another big "Thread of overlooked PC indie games recommendation" thread down the line. But this very thread could be a great replacement by getting us to take a look at individual games and actually play them to have some small discussion about interesting games that are likely to never get an OT. We might do more games per week if there is some interest.

I'll use a lot Desura games, so if you want to participate a lot, I hope you arent Desura-phobic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current games to play (until 30th of August):

Treasure Adventure Game - 2011, Free, Pixelart Sidescrolling Metroidvania
Toma said:
YBMSh.jpg

Played for about 2 hours, finished about 14% of the game.

The game feels a bit like a 2D Zelda to me. Maybe its the sailing that reminds me of Windwaker or the aforementioned Metroidvania aspects that put you seemingly into an open world environment. The game definitely manages to give me that sense of "adventure". I was positively surprised to see it is THAT lengthy, considering I only finished about 14% so far and I did not really expect that from such a small title. It has cute conversations, lovely Pixelart, puzzles and challenging (though not sadistic) platforming and a great feel to it. Seems like D3RANG3D really posted a gem with this game.

What I dislike: Performance issues on a newer OS. You need to run this game in compatibility mode if you are on win7/8, maybe even with D3DOverrider/radeon pro and will work automatically with a non 360 gamepad, if you want to use the 360 pad use joy2key. There was one area that was almost unbearable laggy for me that made me want to throw this game in a corner.

Terraform - 2012, Free Demo, 2,99€, Logic Puzzle game
Toma said:
2WadD.png

This is one of those games that did not get enough time from me yet. Tinkered around with it for a while. Havent bought it or played many of the more intricate levels yet, which make or break the game, but the beginning was promising.

Another puzzle game! This time the theme is terraforming. You see how your landscape is looking at the moment and to which tile you are supposed to change some of those. You then use your several tools at hand to create exactly that result within the amount of turns you are given. Those tools might differ in when their effect is being activated, how large the area of effect is and more. According to the screenshots these scenarios might get really intricate, which I am definitely looking forward to. I really liked the theme too, and though nothing special the soothing music fits the overall mood. I dont think people liking the direction/ game mechanics will go wrong with their 3 bucks investment on this one.

What I disliked: Some of the UI graphical elements arent really the most pleasing to look at. Due to the candy look you might miss a UI element. It took me a few minutes to find the "next" button next to speech bubbles for example. The actual game graphics are service, but since the UI takes up like 40% of the screen, it still might become a bit annoying.

Wazhack - 2012, Sidescrolling Roguelike
Toma said:
wh-screenshot-2.jpg

I played enough of it to assure you that it has quite a bit of content/loot/items.

Most roguelikes usually are in the top down variant, this one isnt. It still contains all the major elements we love about the genre (and more): huge amount of items (unidentified/cursed etc.), goblins, deaths, pets you can train, rats, spells, different classes, goblins on rats, etc. Other than that I don't have too much of an opinion because I havent played it that far yet. Seems rather promising though if you don't mind the art style. I'd love to hear some other opinions on it if someone tried it a bit longer.

What I disliked: I was SO close to not touch the game because of the graphics which are definitely not appealing to me. It looks a bit more endearing in motion, but I dont think I am a fan of these clay-like 3D render graphics. Additionally, its a bit confusing not to get at least "stats" for items. I might be overlooking something, but I couldnt see stats to check for the best weapon I have for example, which might be a game design decision to try all of them, but not sure.

Highscore Contest:
If we are using games that lend themselves well to this kind of play, why not use it? Feel like being top of the crops in this game? Try to get as far as possible and then click "score" after your death. Post the screenshot of your score!

3817 - Toma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List of games we played with descriptions and GAF impressions:

Feel free to suggest any overlooked free Indie Game/Indie Game with a demo for this thread. And of course, dont hesitate to ask for advice/help or discuss the merits/deficits of the games!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Game #1 (until 23rd of August):

Opera Omnia - 2009, Free, Historical Puzzle Game
OperaOmnia2.jpg

Toma said:
Played through it, 5 thumbs up from me. One of the most memorable/unique games I have ever played.

Be warned, this game has a rather rough graphical style and might be, despite simple controls, a bit confusing at first. I highly recommend checking out this game if you prefer puzzle games that go beyond a simple Match 3 formula. Make sure to read all the story texts, as they provide very important information on what to do each level. The gameplay revolves around you, an aspiring historian who tries to work on simulating migration patterns for cities in the past.
A simple scenario could look like this: "Today, there are 2 cities in this region, one of them being almost double the size than the other. From research we know that it was exactly the other way around in the past. Please draw migration patterns over time to illustrate how these populations might have changed."
If I recall correctly, the only tools at your disposal is a simple line, which you can draw between cities and a timeline. It is probably best to play around with the mechanics a bit until you grasped the idea, but I promise you its worth it. I was also rather positively surprised at how interesting the story was, so I recommend playing through all 20 levels of course.
My biggest issue:
The game is very well thought out, but sometimes seems to miss some solutions that SHOULD be possible, but are not according to the game. If you ever think like you have a solution that SHOULD work, but doesnt, thats what might have happened. It's an indie game with a fantastically novel premise, though, so try enjoying it :p

GAF quotes:
I think I chugged myself a little over a third of it. It took until 3 chapter of messing around to really get a hold of what I'm actually doing and how to do it effectively. It's been fun reverse engineering the scenarios but as you said I believe I came across some that may work, but not intended for the game. Still cool.

Opera Omnia is a short little puzzler that is very different and a little confusing. The story told through a series of conversations, and light ambient music left me feeling uneasy throughout the entire game. Once you get the hang of things the puzzles are pretty simple to solve. Coming to the realization of what you are doing, the effects of what you're doing, and understanding what the final puzzle represents all made for a strange and unique experience.

Toma

Ooh cool, subscribed. Some of my favorite "art" games are free, too (But that was Yesterday, Don't Look Back, Loved, etc).

I think we had a thread on Loved, I also played Don't Look Back. Cant remember yesterday, but that might be because the name is a bit too generic.

Could you link all three though?

Toma

A few more screenshots:

Though its really simplistic, this game managed to burn itself into my memory both in gameplay and visual style. Love this game.

Toma

I'll probably add a second game each week for some variety. Those games aren't that time consuming most of the time anyway.

I'll add another one for this week later.

Toma

Game #2 - Oniken (until 23rd of August):

Oniken - 3,99€, Free Demo, 8bit Side Scrolling Action Platform Game
Desura
Demo Direct Download Link

PYgl6.jpg
ycMD9.jpg

I played about 30 minutes in the demo, have not yet bought the game.

The only reason I have not yet bought the game is the size of my Desura demo game list. My initial impressions were very positive. This game has tight controls, sweet retro graphics, satisfying animations, upgrades, large levels that demand some exploration and rather difficultgameplay. 4 bucks also seems like a sweet price, and apparently the dev is still supporting it/adding extra content.

Note for all QWERTZ keyboard users: As usual, the layout is fucked up since it uses y and x. You can switch to an alternate setup though, using wasd to move and j/k to use as the action buttons. Really liked my first impressions. Will play through the demo at least and give some more feedback in this thread.

Highscore Contest:
If we are using games that lend themselves well to this kind of play, why not use it? Feel like being top of the crops in this game? Beat the first level of Oniken and post your score with a screenshot. I'll post the results here.

9471 - Falxix
9446 - Toma
9358 - Lord British
9088 - One Foul Note
8272 - The Grim Heaper

Gaf Opinions:

Glad someone made a thread for this. Fun game.
Playing the demo now, will update with impressions.
EDIT1: This is hard and feels like a NES game. I'm liking what I've played so far, controls incredibly well.
EDIT2: VERY hard. As someone who sucks at NES-level difficulty games, I'm finding it quite the challenge, but I know every time I die it's my fault.
I am impressed with Oniken, it is a lot of fun. I thought it might just be a modern game with NES graphics but the style of game itself definitely feels like it was lifted straight out of an unreleased NES rom someone dumped.
Oniken is great at a throwback to those rote memorization action games prevalent in the 8/16 bit era and with quick levels and punishing bosses. It was a blast to play through, especially with the high score run here on GAF, and I can definitely see myself revisiting it in the future. I only wish it were a little longer, or perhaps had done something different with the story. In the end, it's all good fun.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
+ thread subscription; cool topic. Nothing like scoping out a great game under the massive field of indie games. I'm going to give these a shot, also try and dig out some of my findings to share.

Toma

Holy shit at Oniken. When I get back ho e this weekend, I'll be picking that up. Looks awesome.

Looks even better in motion.

+ thread subscription; cool topic. Nothing like scoping out a great game under the massive field of indie games. I'm going to give these a shot, also try and dig out some of my findings to share.

Please do! I have a big list of stuff to do, but it wouldnt hurt to have more variety to choose from each week.

Great... Another Toma-thread that will make me spend time I don't have on games I didn't know existed...

:p

At least I am trying to get you hooked on smaller games! I dont think there are many games in my todo list that need the time investment of games like FrozenSynapse or SpaceChem.

I am impressed with Oniken, it is a lot of fun. I thought it might just be a modern game with NES graphics but the style of game itself definitely feels like it was lifted straight out of an unreleased NES rom someone dumped.

Toma

Funnily enough, I regretted not having a S/NES controller to play it. Should look for the PS3 controller drivers again. Playing these games on a keyboard is a bit weird.

Dayum. I downloaded the Oniken demo and I am really awful at it.

I took 3 continues to get through the first level. It can get tricky for sure, a lot of it is pattern memorizing. By my 3rd try I was getting through the first 2 areas without taking a hit and just getting merked over and over in the chase scene.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If an indie game is overlooked does that mean it's Indie Indie?

Toma

I salute your dedication to these games and threads for these games and will very likely use the other games as well after I tested them. I hope the thread survives long enough that we'll get a few more people to play the games you recommended :) Always a shame if good willed recommendations (for good games even) are too ignored. If Oniken is anything to go by, the other games should be interesting too.

Hope you hang around in this thread a bit too :) Feel free to post your own impressions about Oniken again, or to check out Opera Omnia this week of course ;)

D3RANG3D

Tempting, but I am inclined to stick with games we can play without language guides for now. Some of the shmups might be fine, though. Will check out a few when I have the time.

Yeah I thought twice about posting it, but this game is pretty fun ;)

TvzSx.jpg

Toma

Random aside: In preparation for this thread I went through the whole Desura catalog, and wow. Its baffling me to no end that some of these games arent considered good enough for Steam or aren't generally more well known.

Toma

Yeah I thought twice about posting it, but this game is pretty fun ;)

TvzSx.jpg

Haha, that was the first game that struck me in that thread as well. Thanks for the recommendation again, though. Will make that one the first to try ;)

Toma

A few guys seemingly tried Oniken, anyone tried Opera Omnia?

n8

Unconfirmed Member

I think I chugged myself a little over a third of it. It took until 3 chapter of messing around to really get a hold of what I'm actually doing and how to do it effectively. It's been fun reverse engineering the scenarios but as you said I believe I came across some that may work, but not intended for the game. Still cool.

I've also got Zineth in my back burner to play very soon.
PyCtI.jpg

mclem

I recall having tried it a long time ago and never really getting the hang of the mechanics.

Regarding the thread in general, for quite a while I've thought that a GAF "book club" would be a good idea; generating discussion on arbitrary games, getting some life onto dead multiplayer servers and generally sharing the new-and-exciting-game experience with other people.

A couple of games I'd nominate for the cause:
Akuji the Demon (Japanese freeware, there's a translation patch out there)
A Game With A Kitty, its sequels and spinoffs
Deadly Rooms Of Death; probably best to go with the second game, Journey To Rooted Hold. More of the first game (in fact, all of it!) is available for free, but the second game is, well, better.

LuffyZoro

Always love me some Toma-threads. I felt more compelled to participate when we had contests though, even without prizes involved. Just my two cents.

Myriadis

I love freeware indie games - I surely have around 70 of them on my PC. My favorite of them all is ZeldaClassic, surely spent over 300 hours on this, thanks to the many quests it has. I'm going to give oniken a try.

Gilby

Perfect timing: Deepak Fights Robots just got a free browser mode!

http://deepaksave.us/play/

VzaB7.png

Indiegames Link

I paid money for this, and have been trying to get people on GAF to play for a long time, now that it's free you guys have NO EXCUSE!

I would describe this game as a great mix of Bubble Bobble, VVVVVV and Pacman (and some others). It's different every time you play, with what you do determining what level you see next. It also features a Robot pimp who speaks in verse! PLAY IT ALREADY!

Toma

Always love me some Toma-threads. I felt more compelled to participate when we had contests though, even without prizes involved. Just my two cents.

Fair enough. If we have a few people interested we could start an easy going contest for level 1 of Oniken (which is included in the Demo). If I am not mistaken, it has highscores for each level.

Anyone interested? Other than Luffy of course.

Toma

Fair enough. If we have a few people interested we could start an easy going contest for level 1 of Oniken (which is included in the Demo). If I am not mistaken, it has highscores for each level.

Anyone interested? Other than Luffy of course.

Ah, what the hell. We might as well simply do it:

Highscore Contest (post screenshots):
If we are using games that lend themselves well to this kind of play, why not use it? Feel like being top of the crops in this game? Beat the first level of Oniken and post your score with a screenshot. I'll post the results here.

Added that to the Oniken post. Without any gifts, I might be able to participate too finally ;p This also might get me to actually beat the first level. I beat the caterpillar earlier, but damn. Annoying thing.

NIN90

Added that to the Oniken post. Without any gifts, I might be able to participate too finally ;p This also might get me to actually beat the first level. I beat the caterpillar earlier, but damn. Annoying thing.

But it's so easy to dodge. :s

Toma

But it's so easy to dodge. :s

My problem was hitting it without walking into it. Just my first try though, might fare better on my second try.

Edit: yeah. Less problems with it now, but I lost 2 lives in the "chase sequence" as someone else already noted.

Toma

Oniken question: Does anyone know what those "grenades" in the upper right corner of the UI are for?

Speevy

Banned
This might just be me, but while I love indie games (and especially platformers), I hate it when a game references the fact that it's a game.

Or when a character makes reference to another game.

I want my games to have their own universes outside the real world.

Top Bottom