• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, post an image of the first game you remember playing

FlyFaster

Super_Mario_Bros._NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

First video games I ever played.

Noogy

pingpong.png

I'm 34

Pong for me as well, 36 here. I still have my Pong home console here somewhere.

Forbidden_Forest.ss.gif

I was very young, and I think I got scarred for life. I still shiver when I hear the music from Forbidden Forest...

The C64 was our first home console/PC (that took cartridges/discs) and yeah, Forbidden Forest was one of them. What an amazing game. The level with the banshee and skeleton still has some rocking music.

TheDanger

Banned
50c7381de1b1b.gif

One day my dad came home with a gameboy color and Pokemon yellow, good times. Funny thing is he played more than me and my sister at first.

AlphaQuack

Neo Member
225px-Mouse-Trap_flyer.jpg

Must've been Mouse Trap for the Atari 2600 - either this or Alex Kidd for the Sega Master System. I remember having an Atari console in the house which my oldest brother used to play with, and there was this one game, some sort of Cat and Mouse looking game with a nasty as cat on the cover which always used to scare me as a kid.

Amaron

Banned
I'm somewhat baffled I haven't seen Dr. Reptide in this thread yet. It was a really fun game, I assumed more people would have played it.

16930-in-search-of-dr-riptide-dos-screenshot-no-air-no-shield-and.gif

None other than this.

url]

Will never forget it, my mums friend come to stay for a few months and she had this little box with a wooden effect on it..

Everything i thought i knew about the television was just changed.. my mind was blown, i was moving this stick and shit was happening on screen..

Swat

A Hero's Hero!
I still remember my Dad and Uncles huddled around the TV, fighting for the Atari 2600 controller. I think I eventually pleaded enough to get a turn.

2600pac.gif

Looking at that screenshot now, compared to the original arcade version - geez, what a terrible port. This saddens me.

I can't for the life of me remember the names of any of the commodore 64 games I owned except for this one:

219711-terra-cognita-commodore-64-screenshot-game-starts.png

It's called Terra Cognita. It wasn't the first game I played when I got the machine though but finding pics without the names is tough.
Just watched some gameplay on YT and almost cried. I could literally feel the adrenaline I felt back then while playing this game, I was 8.
Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC4WvSmJkmA

It's amazing how vividly I remember everything. The sounds, the layout of the levels, the enemies, unbelievable. I actually thought it was longer, it's just 6 minutes, loading times were longer than that lol.

That's the US version, I found it!

Space Monster:

http://www.videopac.com/images/p22b.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.videopac.com/images/ss_22_spacemonster.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I absolutely adore the completely different artistic interpretations for the box art of what the hell the in-game sprites were of.

[quote="Dr Dogg, post: 49718652"]Hang on a sec... Tengen presents Tetris? Ohhhhh I bet there was trouble.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://youtu.be/koruCIIa2rU"]In case you don't know the story.[/URL]

todahawk

first one I actually played and it was at the drug store. I was walking in the door and the cabinet was to my right and it was the sounds I noticed first as the screen was facing away from me.

I finally walked past and turned to face the flashing lights and was awestruck. I lived in a small town and had never heard of video games before. I was just stunned. I didn't know what the hell it was but it was awesome. I figured out you needed a quarter to start it but I didn't have one. I tracked down my mom and she gave me one (probably wouldn't have if she knew what it was for). I didn't survive long but I was hooked. The glowing lights, the sounds... I controlled the ship. Me.

All of my drawings switched to themes of space invaders. I even came up with a way to play space invaders on paper since the cabinet was in the next town over.

gamespys-top-50-arcade-games-of-all-time-20110224024220853.jpg

I still remember my Dad and Uncles huddled around the TV, fighting for the Atari 2600 controller. I think I eventually pleaded enough to get a turn.

2600pac.gif

Looking at that screenshot now, compared to the original arcade version - geez, what a terrible port. This saddens me.

I was born in 71, so I remember Pac-man pretty vividly. I remember playing it at the arcade, and later owning/playing the 2600 version.

We all know it's not a good port and only somewhat resembles it's arcade roots, but I never understood why they used tan walls and a blue background. Had they made the walls blue and the background black, it would have at least looked a *little* more like it. Plenty of 2600 games had black backgrounds.

Just always seemed like a strange choice to me.

barugon

big_bird_s_funhouse.gif

Big Bird's Funhouse

It had a mat the fit over the keyboard - couldn't find a picture of it :(

It came out the year I was born, so I would have been playing it around '86 or '87. It wasn't much later than that when I was playing NES and Gameboy.

Martian

ss_b_japanese_4_imperial.jpg

Which is why I'm so bloody hyped for April 5th/9th

if you don't know its Age of Empires 2, please go to the nearest store, buy it and play it

Droog

3D Monster Maze on the ZX81. Fond memories of playing this with my Dad when I was 4 or 5 years old. Although if you saw the image below, you were pretty much done for...

48398krp9o.png

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
0804.png

I was born in 74 so anything that was Star Wars like defintely caught my attention. Exidy's Star Fire was easily the first game I remember seeing.

Top Bottom