• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: Final Fantasy series rankings (Voting ends Mar. 2)

zashga

1. FF6; Far and away my favorite. It's got the best soundtrack and the best cast, and the World of Ruin reaches almost Chrono Trigger-like levels of genre-defining perfection.
2. FF4; This is the game that made me consider myself a Final Fantasy fan.
3. FF5; I like it better every time I play it. (Looking forward to the four job festival!)
4. FF12; My favorite "modern" Final Fantasy. Vaan and Vayne are among the most boring protagonist/antagonist pairings in the history of JRPGs. The game is pretty great in spite of them.
5. FF1; A classic that hasn't aged very well. The various remakes are a lot more fun to play.
6. FF13-2; Much better than I expected.
7. FF9; More palatable than either 7 or 8.
8. FF13; I like this one less than 12 or 9, but I finished it and neither of them. Go figure.

Limiting myself to games that I've actually finished or at least played to some significant stage of completion.

1. FF7 it's the final fantasy that has satisfied me the most.
2. FF6 great characters, I got lost and never beaten it.
3. FF8 I love abusing the Junction and limit breaks, fun gameplay except for the drawings.
4. FF10 The story was good, but way too linear.

I played FF13, but that game was horrible to me so I won't even put it in 5. I haven't played the other FFs and FFT doesn't count as a mainline.

Cartman86

Banned
1. FF8; Love everything about it. The art, the world, the side quests etc. It was like Hairy Potter meets Final Fantasy. This was back when Square could not only come up with interesting worlds and premises, but actually implement them. I blame voice acting and cinematics for the downfall.
2. FF7; Very close to FF8 for me. I love the look of the game, and along with all the PSone era FF's the soundtrack is fantastic.
3. FF9; Amazing characters, music, and art. Dislike when Mist changes the world.
4. FF6; First played on PSone, so it doesn't hold that place in my heart like it does for other people.
5. FF12; A brave game. Taking the series in a different, but interesting direction. Should've stayed there.
6. FF4; First played it on the DS. It was fun and does some surprising story stuff for it's age. Not much else to say though. unoffensive I suppose.
7. FF10; The lack of worldmap, poor voice acting, and art style kind of turned me off, but it still sort of had that FF feel.
8. FF11; The job system, the music, and smart multi-platform compatibility, but it's soooo fucking slow.
9. FF13; Battle system saves it from being off my list, but it's still pretty bad.

The rest I haven't played enough or had little redeeming qualities.

AniHawk

1. final fantasy xii ; a weird pick considering what the series is. not a whole lot on characters or story, and the battle system is kinda weird, but it's actually a lot of fun to explore and hunt down bounties. the exploration aspect makes it work as a sort of pseudo-mmorpg in a great way. and when i'm enjoying an rpg due to its non-story elements, then it's gotta be doing something right.

2. final fantasy vi ; my first final fantasy. not my first rpg, but it did sorta blow my mind even in 2000. great characters, a huge story and world, and more to do than i'd ever seen before in a game.

3. final fantasy ix ; this is my vote for just the characters and story. the battle system is fun, but i liked vivi, steiner, and the rest of the cast a lot. i thought the world was very charming, and the whole thing clicked for me.

4. final fantasy viii ; once i got the hang of the battle system, i loved it. i also like the weird turns the story took (despite the bad turns the story took).

5. final fantasy x-2 ; an absolute embarrassment to play in the company of other people, or by yourself. and yet, it has one of the best battle systems in the series. but dammit if the forced girl power stuff wasn't so cringeworthy.

6. final fantasy x ; this was my second final fantasy, and at the time, it blew my mind again. now, it's something i know i shouldn't enjoy, but still get nostalgic for every once in a while.

7. final fantasy iv ; boring and short, but not one of the worst i've played in the series. kinda surprised it has the fanbase that it does today, but i can see its importance in the franchise

8. final fantasy ; kinda hard to play without trying one of the remakes. never fully got through this game.

9. final fantasy ii ; i didn't play this game much

10. final fantasy iii ; i played this game less than final fantasy ii, but at least it's not final fantasy vii!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
1) FF6 - Not the first one I ever played, but still the one I am drawn to replay every year or so.
2) FF7 - An amazing experience that has lost some of its luster due to its insane fans.
3) FF12 - Final Fantasy for adults, starring (mostly) adults.
4) FF5 - Best job system to date. Finding a new job was the best ever.
5) FF1 - Started my love affair with RPGs that has never died.
6) FF4 - Unlike 6 or 7, this one has not aged very well. Still, memories count dammit.
7) FF9 - There is throwback, then there is cruising on autopilot with plot conventions. Vivi saves this one.
8) FF2 - Really just didn't do much for me. Can't put a finger on why. Still, set the stage for everything to come.
9) FF10-2 - I loved the pop infused silliness and the costume changes. Don't judge me.
10) FF10 - I really hate Tidus, loved Auron, hated Wakka, loved Lulu, loved Rikku, hated the laugh...
11) FF3 - Now we're into the games I actively dislike. Dull, terrible balance, and nothing exciting happens here.
12) FF8 - Seriously? All orphans who grew up together? A sniper who can't shoot? Junction? Gunblades? Blech.
13) FF13 - Not only my least favorite FF ever, possibly one of my least favorite games (that wasn't obviously shovelware) ever. Moms are tough.

I couldn't rate FF11 because it's so unlike the others (like FF: Tactics, Mystic Quest or Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon) that it doesn't really fit on this list, IMO.

I couldn't rate FF13-2 because I haven't played it yet.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
1) FF VII
2) FF XI
3) FF IX

That's all, won't give votes to the parts I didn't play long enough to judge/didn't like.

Let me in

1. FF12
2. FF6
3. FF5
4. FF7
5. FF4
6. FF9
7. FF8
8. FF13
9. FF14

I do consider 13 to be a simplified (i.e worse) version of the game style presented in 10/10-2, but since I actually finished it I place it above those two. I could not finish 10 or 10-2 -- I found the presentation so completely juvenile and melodramatic.

12 felt like where the series should go -- a blueprint for JRPGs to compete with games coming out of western studios. Xenoblade took that and ran with it. I wish SE would.

komaruR

since i havent played all, il just list the ones i played.

1. FF7 - nostalgic, first 3D model rpg I played
2. FF10 - last portion of the game = good!
3. FF9 - maybe the midgets
4. FF10-2
5. FF13-2
6. FF11
7. FF8
8. FF13
9. FF14

phantomsnake

Neo Member
1. FF6
2. FF7
3. FF12
4. FF9
5. FF8
6. FF10

These are all the mainline FF's I've completed, except FF13 which I will not award any points.

FF12 is the best modern Final Fantasy, even if the story kind of falls apart towards the end. I wish we could have experienced Matsuno's original vision for the game.

1. FF4
2. FF6
3. FF5
4. FF8
5. FF2
6. FF1
7. FF9
8. FF10
9. FF7
10. FF10-2

My rankings change all the time, but I guess this is a current approximation. (4 will most likely always be my favorite though.) 3 would probably be in my top 10 if I'd get the chance to play a 2D version of it.

Lothar

Banned
1. FFX (Fantastic story - made me feel genuinely sad at times. Very likable characters with plenty of depth - Tidus isn't a mopey boring silent protagonist like Cloud, Squall, or Lightning. He's friendly, optimistic, cheerful, and basically grows up over the course of the game. There's a ton of character interaction - Characters are constantly talking to one another and bonding unlike let's say FF6 and FF7 where the characters rarely all talk to each other - For example: You may even forget Aeris is in FF7 after you leave Midgar. Voice acting - I actually really liked the voice acting. It's not perfect, but I think it helped the game and make me feel for the characters more often than not. Laughing scene was not bad. It's supposed to be awkward! Incredible atmosphere - An entire world living and dealing with a constant 10 year cycle of death combined with beautiful visuals. Yuna's sending scene makes you care about the inhabitants in a way other FF games don't. Fast and enjoyable gameplay. Great music.)
2. FF4
3. FF6
4. FF7
5. FFX-2 (Huge gap between FF7 and this game. It has one of the best battle systems in the series. Unfortunately that's all it has going for it. I wish I hadn't played this game and all the games below this and I'm only at #5!)
6. FF5
7. FF1
8. FF9 (Good story but the slowness of the battles murders of the game. Takes 15 seconds after getting into a battle for it to start and battle animations are excruciatingly slow. Encounter rate is high. You get into a battle every couple of steps. This game was not fun. It was torture.)
9. FF13-2
10. FF13
11. FF12
12. FF8

1. FFX (Fantastic story - made me feel genuinely sad at times. Very likable characters with plenty of depth - Tidus isn't a mopey boring silent protagonist like Cloud, Squall, or Lightning. He's friendly, optimistic, cheerful, and basically grows up over the course of the game. There's a ton of character interaction - Characters are constantly talking to one another and bonding unlike let's say FF6 and FF7 where the characters rarely all talk to each other - For example: You may even forget Aeris is in FF7 after you leave Midgar. Voice acting - I actually really liked the voice acting. It's not perfect, but I think it helped the game and make me feel for the characters more often than not. Laughing scene was not bad. It's supposed to be awkward! Incredible atmosphere - An entire world living and dealing with a constant 10 year cycle of death combined with beautiful visuals. Yuna's sending scene makes you care about the inhabitants in a way other FF games don't. Fast and enjoyable gameplay. Great music.)

Oh god. You just got me so pumped up to replay the upcoming HD port/semi-remake/whatever. The game really does linear-gameplay the correct way as another poster earlier mentioned. And yeah, character interactions were abundant and really served to flesh them out throughout the game. (And don't forget the swift and speedy battle system with the ability to trade characters in and out, mid-battle on the fly.) So ready to visit this universe again.

Arment

1. FF9 - So much fun to play. Awesome...everything. Best cast in the entire series in my opinion.
2. FF8 - I'm eager to see this ranked high on the list.
3. FF7
4. FF6
5. FF4
6. FF10
7. FF12
8. FF1
9. FF2
10. FF5

Never played any past 12 nor X-2 so I couldn't vote on those.

1. FF7 (Accumulates nearly everything Square learned about pacing, structure, storytelling and scenario design from the previous six games, gives them a unifying vision and sense of purpose, and ends up with the closest thing in the series to a bona fide masterpiece. The hatedom it has accumulated over the years is more a response to its overwhelming influence and obnoxious fans than any real problem with the game itself.)

2. FF10 (The only other really well-paced game in the series, with the best battle system and some of the best visuals. Also has some of the best world-building and by far the most original setting. Story is uneven but has some good bits.)

3. FF6 (Had some segments that tried my patience, but its creative storytelling techniques and sweeping melodramatic grandeur are hard to deny.)

4. FF9 (At its best, it effectively marries the best aspects of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, the 16-bit and the 32-bit generation of RPGs. At its worst, at least it's still fun. If the whole game were as good as the first disc it would probably be at #1 or 2.)

5. FF5 (One of the best customization systems and soundtracks in the series paired with one of the most forgettable plots and settings. The laugh-out-loud funny - in a good way - GBA localization helps alleviate this a bit.)

6. FF4 (Undeniably dated in its mechanics and writing, but still an entertaining romp in the present day.)

Now getting onto the games that I don't really like:

7. FF8 (An insidiously addictive card game simulator which happens to be attached to an epic misfire of a JRPG. The plot somehow manages to be both ludicrous and dull, the setting never coheres, and every character not named Squall or Seifer is a personality-less drone - and even those two are botched by the final act. Junction system is kind of neat in theory, but so absurdly breakable that the game is devoid of even a pretense of challenge up until the bonus missions open up at the end.)

8. FF3 (FC version is hideously unbalanced, DS version is at least okay. Still archaic as hell, particularly its ludicrously unfair final dungeon(s).)

9. FF13 (A pretty, vapid button masher that goes nowhere fast. That's sure what this game is, and it honestly ain't bad at being that.)

10. FF1 (Archaic to the point of barely being playable and certainly not recommendable, but the PS1 and PSP versions sure do have some sweet-ass graphics and music.)

FF2 and FF12 bored me too quickly for me to get much of an impression of them, and I've never even touched (nor do I plan to touch) the MMOs. So, there you have it. My top 10.

1. FF10
2. FF7
3. FF12
4. FF9
5. FF8
6. FF13
7. FF4
8. FF6
9. FF3
10. FF1

Feels very weird not writing the roman numerals... I don't like it.

1. FF7 - It gets lots of vocal hate and a lot more love. There isn't anything about this game that I didn't enjoy. One of the few games where I can say I enjoyed every character, and their back story. I understand that it's not the end all and be all of rpg games. At this point it is extremely dated. The graphics are unbearable for most. Still for me this is the best Final Fantasy title ever made.
  2. FF8 - Gets tons of hate, most of which is probably deserved. The leveling system is a bit absurd, but I didn't mind. I enjoyed the GF-junction system, but I wouldn't say its a great system. The story was a clusterfuck of bizarre, but I loved it. The characters and world were excellent. The music was beautiful, and the graphics stunning at the time. Triple Triad is still the best FF mini game.
  3. FF10 - I hate Tidus. I really hate Tidus. Did I mention that I hate Tidus. Despite my hate for Tidus there is no denying that FF10 is one of the finest games in the Final Fantasy series. The sphere grid is an enjoyable leveling system. The story was enjoyable(sans Tidus). Blitzball was excellent fun. The graphics were magnificent and has some of the best music in the FF series. I hated the inclusion of voice acting and I missed having a world map. Still these missteps are not enough to keep FF10 from being my third best in the Final Fantasy series.
  4. FF6 - My favorite 2D Final Fantasy. There is nothing wrong with this game. Its nearly flawless. Awesome characters and a fantastic story.
  5. FF4 - It has the job system. I love the job system. Also introduced ATB.
  6. FF12 - I hate all the characters. The story was abysmal. The gameplay, however, was fantastic. I spent all my time enjoying the bounty board sidequests.
  7. FF10-2 - Quirky and enjoyable yet untraditional spin off. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it for what it was.
  8. FF5 - Was a quality rpg. Nothing super memorable.
  9. FF3 - Also a quality rpg.
  10. FF1 - Gets points for starting the whole shebang off.

3 and 5 have the job system.

isn't there a computer program who could give you the desired results in a sinlge move.

I commend you for the effort but no, I firmly disagree that all points should be counted equally.

To ilustrate my point: nearly noone has played FF14 and while it may very well deserve to be at the bottom, it will land there for the wrong reasons, mainly because nobody has played it, instead of being there because in all honesty, gaf believes it's the place it deserves.

or: if a guy chooses any FF game as his number 1 game out of four random entries (let's say, FF2,FF5, FF11 and FF14) well, how much weight has his opinion, when he hasn't played series highlights like FF4, FF7 or FF10??

I don't mean to come an trash a nice thread with a nice dynamic but I think a full rated list whould deserve a higher base value than a 4 games' list.

But FF5 is a highlight. * whimpers *

Krelian91

1. FF9 Everything I want from a FF. Pity for the slow battles, but the story is still my favourite.
2. FF7 Awesome gameplay and world.
3. FF6 Same as FF7. Kefka <3
4. FF12 Haters gonna hate, but I like it. (I played the International version, though.)
5. FF10 Because it was my first FF.
6. FF5 Dat job system
7. FF4 The first FF with a plot?
8. FF3 It didn't age so badly.
9. FF8 Awesome music and world, but dreadful story and characters.
10. FF1 This, on the other hand, aged badly.

Go Team FF9.

Squishy

I will only list FF's I have played extensively. FF6 and 4 might be up there with the best, but I haven't played enough of them to judge properly.

1. FF9
2. FF7
3. FF8
4. FF10
5. FF10-2
6. FF12
7. FF13

ScOULaris

guys, roman numerals won't be counted

They will still be counted, but I will have to convert them to numbers first. It makes it easier for me if everyone uses numbers in their votes.

1) FF VII
2) FF XI
3) FF IX

That's all, won't give votes to the parts I didn't play long enough to judge/didn't like.

These two posts, on the other hand, run the risk of not being counted. If you've only played through 1-3 FF games out of the entire series, why bother voting in something like this? Voting for only one game is especially egregious, since it's not actually ranking anything.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I suggest you put a minimum vote count like 4-5 FF games.

By the way, what's after FF voting? Hopefully RE voting. :p

ScOULaris

I suggest you put a minimum vote count like 4-5 FF games.

By the way, what's after FF voting? Hopefully RE voting. :p

Yup, I decided to do just that. I updated the OP with the new minimum votes rule (5 FF games). I hope everyone thinks that's fair and can understand my reasoning.

As for the next GAF Votes thread, I'll have to wait until this is over before deciding on that.
3AQmK.gif

Razgreez

I know it's off topic but i always enter these FF voting threads just to read the negative FF7 explanations. Half the time it seems a pre-requisite that if one loves 6 one must hate 7

Lothar

Banned
I know it's off topic but i always enter these FF voting threads just to read the negative FF7 explanations. Half the time it seems a pre-requisite that if one loves 6 one must hate 7

That's weird since those two games are the most alike in gameplay in the series. Materia is very close to Espers. Both use limits, a similar ATB system, and are pathetically easy. A lot of FF6's atmosphere feels similar to FF7. Midgar is dark and depressing just like the World of Ruin. FF6 is steampunk. So is FF7 outside of Midgar. Both Terra and Cloud's character arcs are that they have to discover what they really are and come to terms with themselves. Both games are weak in charaacter interaction. There's like 1 or 2 scenes where a character gets development and then you can put them out of your party and never hear from them again.

If anything, it should be that FF4 fans must hate FF7, and vise versa.

ScOULaris

Yup, I decided to do just that. I updated the OP with the new minimum votes rule (5 FF games). I hope everyone thinks that's fair and can understand my reasoning.

Alright, I changed the rule again. I didn't like the idea of discounting people's votes, so instead I have decided to give less weight to posts containing fewer than five ranked games. Basically, people who listed only 1-4 games will be contributing half of the points shown on the scale for those submissions. People who submit 5-10 games will have their votes counted for full credit.

I think this is the best way to handle the flexibility of the voting rules given the number of entries in this series.

It means that I will essentially have to tally the votes twice (once for the 5-10 posts, and once for the 1-4 posts), but it will be worth it if it provides a fairer assessment of the series.

TheExodu5

Banned

If you look at my top 10, you'll notice they occupy the top 2 spots. They're very similar games, for sure. FF7 has the better battle system, but the music, characters, and game structure (WoB, WoR) of FF6 win in the end for me.

Wrekt

1. FF7
2. FF6
3. FF9
4. FF5
5. FF10
6. FF12
7. FF11

The rest I haven't played, with the exception of 8 which doesn't deserve a point.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm liking the many top placings for FF8, I'm betting that most of those people (like me) only discovered how much they liked it on repeat playthroughs.

I really think its one of those titles where the pieces only really drop into place on a revisit, particularly with the story and levelling mechanics.

Nohar

1. FF5 : I LOVED that game. The music was great (good lord, Battle on the big bridge is awesome, and The Decisive Battle, Ex-Death battle theme, is grandiose), and I'm a fan of the job system. Plus, I'm pretty sure that a 3D remake with an hammy Ex-Death (thank you Dissidia ^^), remasterised musics, revisited cutscenes and fights (Galuf vs Exdeath : yes please !) and so on would be excellent.
2. FF7 : My first FF. The game was way to easy, but so wonderful.
3. FF6 : Kria-oh-oh-oh-oh
4. FF10 : Great world, good characters (though I didn't like Tidus very much), great music, and great theme (twisted religion : yummy !).
5. FF4 : Well, it's a classic. And a good one on top of that.
6. FF11 : I spent way too many time on that game... But, still, I enjoyed it, thanks to my LS with which I shared many great memories.
7. FF8 : I didn't like the junction system, and the somewhat slow gameplay, but otherwise the game had a strong story, and an insanely addictive card mini-game. After discovering FF7, I was waiting for this game like the messiah.
8. FF9 : The gameplay is way too slow. Otherwise, the story was fine I guess.
9. FF12 : So much wasted potential... It could have been a great game. It really could have. But the Gambit system was limited and tedious, the game drags on and on and on and on, and you could easily remove Penelo and Vaan from the game without affecting the plot at all. And, geez, why did they off Judge Grace so quickly ?! I liked her :(
10. FF13-2 : surprisingly better that its predecessor. Also sports a wonderful soundtrack.

Edit for djtiesto : Sir, I like you :3

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
1. FF5 ; Probably the most entertaining gameplay in the series, I love the more lighthearted tone of the game, the awesome customizable Job system, the soundtrack and the whole "multiple dimensions" setting.

2. FF4 ; Was my favorite game ever as a kid, the soundtrack was mindblowing the first time I heard it, and the game has such a memorable plotline and cast of characters. Plus it introduced the ATB battle system. 5 character parties is something I wish more games in the series had.

3. FF7 ; Another game that totally shocked me upon release, it has had a huge backlash ever since it was released as the game that "sold out" to the masses, but that's hogwash. Its production values were unrivaled for the time, it had a ton of optional stuff like minigames, the Chocobo races, obscure secrets to find. The setting is extremely distinct and memorable, the storyline was probably my favorite in the series too - themes like ecoterrorism, anarcho-syndicalism, cloning, genetic engineering, psychological issues... you never saw that shit in a videogame before FF7 and even if the storyline suffers from a bad translation, the point still gets across.

4. FF3 ; My first FF was 1, and my favorite in the series is 5... so naturally I'd love the in-between game. I played this for the first time right before 7's release, in Japanese on an emulator. What jumped out at me was how massive an improvement the game was over 1, and the ridiculous number of secrets and sidequests for an 8-bit RPG. The scenario writing is genius and far better than most 8/16bit RPGs, especially the whole situation with Goldor chaining your airship up. Music is stunning, graphics look great for 8-bit (especially the monster designs), now if only there wasn't that massive final dungeon with no save points to deal with...

5. FF6 ; Not as much of a fan as others are of the game, sure the storyline is great, music is one of the greatest in videogame history, and characters are extremely memorable. But I never particularly cared for the Esper system or the World of Ruin (its ugly and bleak aesthetics or its extreme nonlinear nature).

6. FF9 ; Graphics and setting are stunning, the return to "classic" FF was something really nice to see after 7 and 8, and the references to other games in the series made me smile. The characters were a welcome change after the dull FF8 ones, the charm is also through the roof on this one. Wasn't a fan of the slooooooooow pace, load times, or music. And that keeps this from being one of my favorites.

7. FF1 ; My introduction to the series, so I have a ton of nostalgia for it. The game was lightyears ahead of DQ1 (the first RPG I ever played), though it's not known for its story and is pretty ball-busting hard, it's still pretty enjoyable on a gameplay level. I love the sprawling dungeons and slight nonlinearity the game has. Modern remakes fixed some of the problems with the original, namely the enemy targeting system.

8. FF13-2 ; Just finished my first run through this, now wrapping up some of the fragments I missed and some of the Paradox Endings. Really enjoyed this though, it's got its problems like crappy balance and some annoying optional puzzles (FF has to really quit it with annoying optional content)... but it was a total step in the right direction as compared to 13. The storyline actually really worked for me, I loved the surreal nature of the plot and there was one part in the game (chapter 5) I felt to be very powerful and gripping. The music was another element that was really great, though I understand why those things don't work for everyone.

9. FF10 ; Another game in the series that oozes atmosphere, and had one of the best battle systems in the series (finally, a return to pure turn-based battles... with character hotswap!). But this game was extremely linear compared to what came before it, had some absolutely absurd requirements for lategame weapons, and had a couple of really annoying cast members. Intro was probably my favorite in the series though.

10. FF13 ; Don't really care for this game much due to the extreme linearity, horrible weapon upgrade system, and lack of all that extraneous content that makes RPGs so fun and immersive (minigames, sidequests, towns), but damn it looks pretty and I loved the soundtrack. And the battle system was an interesting experiment, switching between different roles to defeat enemies and turning even the "popcorn" battles into a little puzzle.

Lothars

1. FF6 - Best Final Fantasy Game bar none. The Characters, world, story is amazing.
2. FF10 - Loved the Story and I really like the characters, It's a little linear but it's still a great game.
3.FF4- I really enjoyed this game and I haven't played the after years yet but I look forward to.
4. FF5 - fantastic battle system, The job system is top notch.
5.FF7 - revolutionary for the time, It still holds up in some ways and I enjoyed playing it.
6.FF8 - great looking game and I really think that some of the things it did were fantastic.
7.FF1 - the one that started it all.
8.FF13 I enjoyed the battle system and once the game opened up but I wish it would have opened up sooner, still worthy of the ranking than.
9.FF12 - I need to replay this but I really did enjoy it.
10.FF9- It's a good game but I don't think it's near as good as other final fantasies before and after.

ScOULaris

I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with all of the write-ups/elaborations in this thread. They were somewhat few and far between in the MGS voting thread. I guess Final Fantasy fans have more to say. ;)

1. FF12 - Simply put, tons of content and options on how you want to play. Beautiful graphics and music as well.
2. FF6
3. FF4
4. FF9
5. FF5
6. FF7
7. FF10
8. FF11
9. FF3
10. FF8

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
1. FF7 - First played, heavy nostalgia, Favorite Cid, Favorite Music Track (Cid's Theme/Highwind Theme)
2. FF11 - Not so much for Story, some ok music, Good battle mechanics (when your party was running "smoothly") mostly for the Community (Stars of Destiny Baby WOOOOOO) The most time spent on a game in my life. Had to be something like 150-200 days, maybe more.
3. FF8 - Some good story bits, but some meh ones too. Some good music tracks. FF10 would be third, if not for HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.
4. FF10 - HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. <3 Auron. Did like the ending premise with Tidus.
5. FF9 - This high for Vivi and Steiner. Did not like the villains.
6. FF13 - Nice graphics, nice combat system, and I didn't mind Vanille. Did not like Barthanandadludluses
7. FF12 - Should have liked this more, but I didn't. Didn't actually finish, but I was close. Think I got stuck on a Cid fight, where I couldn't back out of the area and power level.
8. FF 10-2 - Can't remember alot. I think I liked the battle system, with the quick job changes. But alot of strange strange stuff.

Won't list the rest, as I've never finished them, or play them enough to list them accurately. But since what I did play was years after release, I would not have any "Nostalgia Points" for them, and they'd probably be listed below the 8 above.

1. FF12 - while at times a bit of a glorious mess, this is my favorite overall
2. FF9 - love the strong Celtic influence on look and sound, characters (despite the tail...), many favorite summon variants
3. FF4 - what might have been a nostalgia choice due to playing FF2 SNES when new has remained a favorite after replays of the DS remake and the PSP collection
4. FF8 - took some time to get into, but have played 3x over the years now; also enjoy the strong summon (GF) focus
5. FF5 - love the job system; gba version as reference (often resides in my DS gba slot)
6. FF6
7. FF7 - PC version when new was my return to FF in late 90s
8. FF13*
9. FF10-2 - toughest to rank for me as below
10. FF10

Top 5 have been fairly static as top favorites. Positions 6-10 could really be randomized as they are so close in consideration, with FF10-2 being the toughest to rank. I really enjoyed the battle system yet prefer to completely ignore the story.

*I also definitely enjoyed 13-2 but more time needs to pass for reflection before ranking it.

Top Bottom