• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The best game music of all time.

Leatherface

Metroid Prime: Maine Theme

Actraiser: Filmore

:D

P.S.- Metroid Prime IMO has the best soundtrack ever made for a videogame. Perfect ambient Sci-fi soundscapes FTW.

The Hermit

EDIT- In bold My choice since I can only choose one per game ... :(

Castlevania 4:
Simon´s Theme
Forest of Monsters
Rotating Room

Tales of Phantasia:
Stream of Time SNES version
Retalliation
Freeze
I miss you
( only found the PSX music... IMO the SNES themes are WAY better, and one of my favorites of all games)

Shadow of Colossus:
Despair filled Battle
Counterattack
Violent Encounter
In the Awe of Power
The Farthest Land

Metroid Prime:
Tallon Overwold 2
Crashed Space Pirate Frigate
Pehdrana´s Edge
Essesnce Metroid Prime
Extended Intro/Credits

Super Mario Galaxy:

Almost the entire OST... Dammit I can´t choose!

I´ll go with The Bunnies since I don´t think many people will vote it and it hooked me like no other game did before

Chrono trigger:

Corridor of Time... I think this will probably win!

Maaseru said:
I nominate MM4 Dr. Cossack Stage 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85hkr3POn90

Cossack Stage 2 is probably my fav. MM music ( beating even the legendary MM 2´s Wily Stage 2! )

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh, don't worry, I'll make sure there's a few more Okami nominations. That game's soundtrack is practically flawless. Shinshu Field, Ryoshima Coast, Kamui, Wep'Keer, Cursed Plains...the list goes on and on.

In fact I'm making an Okami appreciation thread soon which will go into great length about how much of a masterpiece the soundtrack is.

Jesus Crhist, how could I forget Okami! This game have literally hundreds of musics and most of them are beyond awesome!

Very hard to choose from this game but I have to go with Ninetails

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
*passes out*

I will clean up the OP(s) later...

EDIT: The first page is current through post 198. If you nominated some songs before that post but don't see them in one of my posts on page 1, check the rules in the OP and see if you screwed up anywhere. If not, then I'm a dumbass and skipped it somehow, so go ahead and repost it.

Please follow the rules and formatting of the OP, though.

(edit: one per game? I started this list before you posted that, so I didn't notice... I'm not removing any links after putting this all together, that's for sure. I'll try to bold something for the games I put up more than one link for, though. I'm counting original games and expansions separately. And I'm choosing two from Torment. :))

Woah, I really don't know if I can choose... I love game music, it would be very hard to come up with a list...

There's way too much great game music out there. Any one person can only list a few songs... I certainly can't list every game music song I like. So, I'm going to focus on stuff that has been criminally ignored so far in this thread: PC game music.

The ones with no links don't have videos on Youtube, as far as I can find.

PC
--
Main Theme - Baldur's Gate
Main Theme - Baldur's Gate II
Overture - Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire (the first track on the soundtrack CD)
Main Theme - Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness (the first song in the video)
Quest for Glory Main Theme - Quest for Glory I: So You Want To Be A Hero (the song that plays during the intro/credits)
Brood War Intro - Starcraft: Brood War
Disco - Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal/Battle.Net Edition
Curst Battle - Planescape: Torment
Fortress Battle - Planescape: Torment
Deionarra's Theme - Planescape: Torment
Main Theme - Planescape: Torment
Fortress of Regrets - Planescape: Torment

Bad Ending - Planescape: Torment
Good Ending - Planescape: Torment
Credits - Planescape: Torment
Escaton track theme - Extreme-G 2 (PC version)
Lumania track theme - Extreme-G 2 (PC version)
Intro - Turrican II (Amiga 500 ver.)
Serenity - NetStorm: Islands at War (the main menu/lobby theme -- yes, from the same composer as Torment)

Intro - Netstorm
Sun - NetStorm: Islands at War (bad quality video of some ingame music, I think the first track after the game starts is Sun...)
Thunder - NetStorm: Islands at War (I know what I just said, but Thunder is just so great...)
Tenochtitlan Revealed, Harvest of the Nile, Aristotle's Pupil, Augustus Rises, Gautama Ponders, and Hammurabi's Code -- Civilization II/Civ II: Conflicts in Civilization/Civ II: Fantastic Worlds (i's incredibly, incredibly hard to separate the seven tracks of the original Civ II... I just can't think of any of them out of the context of the others, and they work perfectly together to create the perfect Civilization theme.)
Mongol Horde - Civilization II: Conflicts in Civilization/Civ II: Fantastic Worlds
The World of Jules Verne - Civilization II: Fantastic Worlds/Civ II: Gold Multiplayer Edition -- Maybe Civ II's best overall track... simply awesome.
Planescape: Torment Trailer Music -- The music from this trailer is only used in this trailer and the PS:T trailer found on the Baldur's Gate CD. I like that trailer even more than this one (both have the same exact soundtrack and the design theme of the PLANESCAPE letters appearing on the screen one by one, but this one has ingame footage while the other one is 100% CG), but both are fantastic. The piece of music these two trailers use, oddly, is not present in either the final game or the official soundtrack.

NES
--
Ring Man - Mega Man IV
Skull Man - Mega Man IV
Main Menu Theme - Journey to Silius
Main Menu Theme - Super Turrican (only a bit of it is here, at the beginning)
Level 1 theme - Super Turrican (the first level's music, obviously)

Sega Genesis
--
Intro - Mega Turrican
Bio-Hazard Battle - track 1 (main menu music)

Sega CD
--
Intro - SoulStar (the first song in the video... another one where I want to nominate half of the soundtrack...)
SoulStar Theme - SoulStar
(the second song in the video, starting at about 1:50. The other songs are Warpship Kutra (4:11), The Heart of Darkness (6:00)
Intro/demo loop music - Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD)
Intro - Ecco the Dolphin II: Tides of Time (Sega CD) (a bit at the start and then 3:00-5:00)

Gamecube
--
Main Theme (whatever its title is) - Metroid Prime

RurouniZel said:

These four, for sure. Agreed for the Fire Emblem and Grandia themes as well. But I'm not going to try to list all the good console game music, I've spent enough time looking at PC game music to want to spend as much on console game music too. :)

... This list is by no means done (and in that I include PC, as well obviously as console stuff -- haven't even gotten to anything Nintendo yet...), but it's late and I need to stop, so that's all for now. Maybe more later...

Ikopi

Actraiser - Filmore
Super Mario Galaxy - Floater Land
Deus Ex - Main Theme
Secret of Mana - Fear of the Heavens

Chinner

Banned
Woffls said:
Great song but...
- No licensed music! By that I mean: music that was not created specifically for a game cannot be used. I'm thinking specifically of rhythm games for this one. For example, Konami Original Songs (stuff by Naoki-M and his ilk) would be valid DDR songs for a poll like this, but the majority of the track list would not.

Juice

Shenmue - Shenhua's Theme

(Obviously not permissible, but anyone who likes this track really needs the Kanagawa Orchestra promotional album covering the Shenmue soundtrack)

ultim8p00

Banned

Steeven

Castlevania - Vampire Killer (Dracula X Chronicles OST) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUKarBgB-4

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Title Music (Orchestrated) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiJGFrZkX_0

Secret of Mana - Fear of the Heavens -REDUX- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqEE1Q5TDg

Megaman 2 - Dr. Wily's Castle Stage 1-2 already posted, reminder for myself

Red Alert 2 - Hell March 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WqwFhX6Cqg

Zelda: Wind Waker - Dragon Roost Island already posted reminder for myself

Diablo - Tristram (Blizzard's Original Version)) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTUz4OnzdM

Edit - I forgot the links

KajunW

Okay then, here are some tracks that aren't on the nomination list yet.

Axelay - Stage 1
Castlevania Circle of the Moon - Clockwork
Castlevania Rondo of Blood - Richter's Theme
Chrono Cross - Burning Orphenage
Chrono Trigger - World Revolution
Command & Conquer - Act on Instinct
Donkey Kong Country 1 - Fear Factory
Final Fantasy 3 - Opening/Eternal Wind (DS Version)
Final Fantasy 5 - Ahead on our way
Final Fantasy 6 - Ending theme Part One Part Two Part Three
Final Fantasy 7 - J-E-N-O-V-A

Final Fantasy 8 - Premonition
Final Fantasy 10 - Ending theme
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle
Grandia 2 - Fight v3
Gremlins 2 - Stage 1 (0:58-2:02)
Killer Instinct 2 (Arcade) - The Instinct
Legend of Mana - The Darkness Nova
Legend of Zelda: The Adventure of Link - The Great Temple
Madara - Overworld (1:04-1:55)
Mario Kart 64 - Credits

Mega Man 2 - Title theme
Mega Man 3 - Title theme
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Desperate Chase
Metroid Prime 2 - Title
Metroid Prime 3 - Gandrayda
Ninja Gaiden 2 - Parasprinter (SNES version)
Secret of Mana - Meridian Dance
Seiken Densetsu 3 - Sacrifice Part 3
Shadowgate - Main Theme(0:00-0:40)
Silent Hill 4 - Room of Angels

Soul Blazer - Koibito no Inaiyoru
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - On the Road
Street Fighter 3 Third Strike - Ken's Stage
Super Mario Galaxy - Bowser's Galaxy Reactor
Super Metroid - Brinstar Green Vegetation
Super Smash Bros Brawl - King K Rool Ship Deck
Sword of Mana - Battle 1
Thunder Force IV - Ending Theme
Vagrant Story - Ifrit
Xenogears - Awakening

EDIT: I see the Mario Kart 64 credits theme has been posted above already.
Also, I'm a little bit surprised so few tracks have been named from FF6, FF7 and Secret of Mana...but I guess we still have time.

vetrox

Steeven said:
Diablo - Tristram (Blizzard's Original Version)) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTUz4OnzdM

Sixfortyfive said:

blu said:
can someone point out the differences from the original diablo's tristram theme? 'cause i can't find any.

Well, these two both link to the Diablo 2 version. The first one is called "Into Town" and is 4:49 in length, while the Diablo 2 version is actually called Tristram and is 7:40 in length.

This is the Diablo version (which I'm not nominating!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47QvMRhf2k0

The Diablo 2 version is far superior in my opinion :)

Top Bottom