• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The best game music of all time.

Cosmozone said:
BTW:
To have real honest chart, GAF would have to vote on a subset of all nominees for a period of time before voting on the next set. Otherwise people won't care to listen to the other songs and just vote for their favourites. The downside is, it would take years to do it this way.... :D

A contest bracket of 5 games with more than one song wouldn't be too bad.

After one song is picked for every game on the list, the bracket can consist of 20 songs.

However, probably for the sake of time, the OP might have to narrow them down himself.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Cosmozone said:
To have real honest chart, GAF would have to vote on a subset of all nominees for a period of time before voting on the next set. Otherwise people won't care to listen to the other songs and just vote for their favourites. The downside is, it would take years to do it this way.... :D
Not a bad idea. It would end up taking weeks, not years, though.

Say we end up with about ~1000 nominations. We could split the final list into 10 lists of 100 tracks each. Each of the 10 smaller lists would get a week (or so) of voting all to itself. The top 10 from each list advance to a second round where we rank the top 100 songs for the final vote. Or something like that. I was planning on doing just one round of voting when I started this, but there's no way most forumers would even come close to listening to a majority of these if they had to evaluate them all at once.

The voting itself is pretty easy to take care of as far as I'm concerned. All I have to do is plug a list of tracks into the script and then link you guys to the voting page. Then when voting's over, all I have to do is check for and remove ballot stuffers and post the results. Whether we do all the songs at once or split the tracklist up into smaller contests and run it multiple times, it makes no difference to me.

Sixfortyfive

Trying to narrow down the Chrono Cross selection as I type this.

Lots of this stuff is good, but man, sometimes I hate it when it takes so long for a track to really build up to something great.

Cosmozone

Listening to 100 songs in one go would be too much for me I must admit. In earlier contests/list wars I listened to 15 or so before deciding the taste of the others sucked. :)

An earlier post mentioned each game should have only one song for contest, or at least that's what I understood. I wouldn't like that, since there are of course games that have better overall music than others.

Also another nominee:
Afterburner - Afterburner Theme
I'll try to think about more arcade stuff later.

Edit: Argh, totally forgot about Gitaroo Man!
Gitaroo Man - Bee Jam Blues
Gitaroo Man - Nuff Respect
So there are two songs from the same game, who cares? :D I like Bee Jam Blues the best.

Edit 2: Ah, suck it, here comes the rest of the all good stuff, gaf decide what they like best:
Gitaroo Man - Twisted Reality
Gitaroo Man - Flying to your Heart
Gitaroo Man - Void
Gitaroo Man - The Legendary Theme
Gitaroo Man - Born to be Bone
Gitaroo Man - Tainted Lovers
Gitaroo Man - Resurrection

Sixfortyfive

Cosmozone said:
An earlier post mentioned each game should have only one song for contest, or at least that's what I understood. I wouldn't like that, since there are of course games that have better overall music than others.
I don't really think it's ideal either (I'd nominate about half of all classic Sonic songs otherwise), but I don't want to see the same franchises dominating the final list.

EDIT: Blah, these first few Chrono Trigger tracks on this list are boring as hell. I need something with some presence...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
vetrox said:
Well, these two both link to the Diablo 2 version. The first one is called "Into Town" and is 4:49 in length, while the Diablo 2 version is actually called Tristram and is 7:40 in length.

This is the Diablo version (which I'm not nominating!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47QvMRhf2k0

The Diablo 2 version is far superior in my opinion :)
thanks for the clarification, but frankly i can't see why you'd prefer the diablo2 version (aside from the vastly superior compression/recording quality) - it's the original + 3 min of padding, which hardly improves the original tune, if not diluting it.

Gruco

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Not a bad idea. It would end up taking weeks, not years, though.

Say we end up with about ~1000 nominations. We could split the final list into 10 lists of 100 tracks each. Each of the 10 smaller lists would get a week (or so) of voting all to itself. The top 10 from each list advance to a second round where we rank the top 100 songs for the final vote. Or something like that. I was planning on doing just one round of voting when I started this, but there's no way most forumers would even come close to listening to a majority of these if they had to evaluate them all at once.

The voting itself is pretty easy to take care of as far as I'm concerned. All I have to do is plug a list of tracks into the script and then link you guys to the voting page. Then when voting's over, all I have to do is check for and remove ballot stuffers and post the results. Whether we do all the songs at once or split the tracklist up into smaller contests and run it multiple times, it makes no difference to me.
Trouble with that is that there's probably not a good way to evenly distribute the songs, and it could lead to some arbitrary results.

I'd say: automatic by for anything nominated multiple times already (I mean, we already know Time's Scar and Gusty Garden aren't going anywhere). For solo recommendations, maybe everyone who did nominating can also be given a chance to second anything else on the big board (limited chances to second). Some target cutoff point, and then fill in the gaps to get to a desired number to vote on.

I dunno if that's better or worse logistically(probably worse), but it seems like it'd be a productive system as far as results go. Just throwing ideas around

traveler

Not Wario
I don't have a link to the music as the game it's for isn't even out at retail yet, but...

World of Warcraft - Grizzly Hills

If anyone could find the track from a WotLK beta rip, I'd be highly appreciative.

Most of the other songs I'd bring up have already been nominated. I will throw in

Half-Life 2: Episode 2 - Vortal Combat

since I didn't see it anywhere.

Sciz

I could suggest a vast array of tunes from all sorts of games.

Instead I'm just going to correct a gross oversight and nominate the musical brilliance that is the main theme of Monty on the Run. (and here's a rock cover, for comparison and greater appreciation.)

Sixfortyfive

Gruco said:
Trouble with that is that there's probably not a good way to evenly distribute the songs, and it could lead to some arbitrary results.

I'd say: automatic by for anything nominated multiple times already (I mean, we already know Time's Scar and Gusty Garden aren't going anywhere). For solo recommendations, maybe everyone who did nominating can also be given a chance to second anything else on the big board (limited chances to second). Some target cutoff point, and then fill in the gaps to get to a desired number to vote on.

I dunno if that's better or worse logistically(probably worse), but it seems like it'd be a productive system as far as results go. Just throwing ideas around
Not going to ask the participants to second or otherwise re-nominate anything. Too much work.

So far I've been keeping songs nominated several times and discarding others from the same game. I usually bother listening to all of them first, though, as a lot of people actually have been kind enough to CTRL+F and not repeat stuff that's already on page 1. (I'm personally leaning towards canning Gusty Garden in favor of Purple Coins, as it's the same song but a little faster and more dramatic, but I'll probably cave later.)

Weeding this thing down to 1 song per game will probably get the final list well under 500 anyway.

Yaweee

Well, playing by the one-per-game rule and unlimited nominations, and seeing that the first page completely lacks SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga, I guess I'll have to make a nomination for each.

SaGa Frontier II - Mißgestalt (Last Battle... part one of it, I think)

Unlimited SaGa - Battle Theme 1

----

I still think you should ask for just one nomination per person. If you don't, you're going to end up with a ton of tracks that won't even get a single vote.

Sixfortyfive said:
Not going to ask the participants to second or otherwise re-nominate anything. Too much work.

So far I've been keeping songs nominated several times and discarding others from the same game. I usually bother listening to all of them first, though, as a lot of people actually have been kind enough to CTRL+F and not repeat stuff that's already on page 1. (I'm personally leaning towards canning Gusty Garden in favor of Purple Coins, as it's the same song but a little faster and more dramatic, but I'll probably cave later.)

Weeding this thing down to 1 song per game will probably get the final list well under 500 anyway.

Gusty Garden is much better than the Purple Coins theme. IMO, Purple Coins is boring techno except the violin accompaniment...and Gusty Garden is entirely awesome. There's no contest.

Sixfortyfive

Hm, if a Chrono Trigger fan would be kind enough to tell me which song is most deserving of making the final list, I'd appreciate it, because Frog's Theme is the only one of those in the OP that I even sort-of like at all.

EDIT: Actually, if an Earthbound nut could do the same for all the Mother games, I'd like that too. Five tracks into the Earthbound list and I'm too bored to continue with this one.

Gruco

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Hm, if a Chrono Trigger fan would be kind enough to tell me which song is most deserving of making the final list, I'd appreciate it, because Frog's Theme is the only one of those in the OP that I even sort-of like at all.

EDIT: Actually, if an Earthbound nut could do the same for all the Mother games, I'd like that too. Five tracks into the Earthbound list and I'm too bored to continue with this one.
CT -
Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time (same as Kingdom of Zeal)
Chrono Trigger - To Far Away Times
The others have a case, but these two are basically necessary. Honestly, CT has a Distinctively Great sountrack, so I think it deserves multiple. The 2chan one had a ton, IIRC.

Mother:
Mother - All that I needed was you

Earthbound:
Earthbound - Good friends, bad friends
(same as ending credits)

Mother 3:
Mother 3 - Pollyanna
I could see someone going with one of the Pokey themes for Mother 3, or the Snowman theme, and would be open to discussion, but I feel pretty strongly those are the best.

Sixfortyfive

Thanks. I don't mean to trash on games for no good reason, but it's pretty obvious to me when I just don't "get it," and I don't really feel like making a judgement call for those.

Gruco

Banned
NP, I'm glad you're making that call when necessary. I'd also like to hear from any other CT or Mother fans since I obviously can't speak for the entire fanbase.

Ack, I just realized I went with the wrong Mother song. All that I Needed Was You hadn't been added to the from page yet. Honestly, Pollyanna is basically a Mother song, so it might be more appropriate for Pollyanna, Good Friends, and then another Mother 3 song represent the series.

Fireblend

Banned
Gruco said:
NP, I'm glad you're making that call when necessary. I'd also like to hear from any other CT or Mother fans since I obviously can't speak for the entire fanbase.

Ack, I just realized I went with the wrong Mother song. All that I Needed Was You hadn't been added to the from page yet. Honestly, Pollyanna is basically a Mother song, so it might be more appropriate for Pollyanna, Good Friends, and then another Mother 3 song represent the series.
A listing of CT's best without Wind Scene would be blasphemy; IMO it's second only to To Far Away Times.

Sixfortyfive

Hm, I just remembered something I was thinking of earlier.

Anybody know anything about Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? I know it started off as some kind of PC graphic novel game and then spun off into a manga/anime series and perhaps other things as well. Mainly, I was wondering if the song "You" would be eligible for something like this, or if it was licensed from elsewhere or made for the anime or something. I think it was made for the game. Wiki has the following to say about it:

Unlike visual novels created by established companies, 07th Expansion did not create the music found in the Higurashi games. The music for the Question arcs consists of license free songs found on the Internet, while the music for the Answer arcs was provided by dōjin music artists that were fans of Higurashi. Later, a CD album called Thanks/you was released by the dōjin music artist, dai; many of his tracks were used in the Answer arcs. Fans initially referred to this album as the official soundtrack, however the actual official soundtrack has since been released for the series, featuring a majority of the songs featured in the Answer arcs. This two-disc set is, to date, the most complete collection of songs from the games.
What do you guys think?

Fireblend said:
A listing of CT's best without Wind Scene would be blasphemy; IMO it's second only to To Far Away Times.

Might as well just put the best one, right? If you're going to give a certain game multiple songs, how would you decide? I still think To Far Away Times is better.

J-Rzez

Street Fighter 2 - Guile
Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
Star Fox - Corneria
Devil May Cry 3 - When Devils Cry

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Final Boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRJTyp8XmHg

Metal Gear Solid 1 - Encounter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEvv10M0JTM&feature=related

GI Joe Arcade - Stage 1 (starts at 0:31)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYUT_85iKxE

TMNT Arcade - Fire!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU2IqL8eyoI&feature=related

The Simpsons Arcade - Springfield
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10LctBOy2JE&feature=related

UN Squadron/Area 88 - Briefing screen (it's starts at 1:26 in the vid)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtJlan6Z3i4

Super C Arcade - Stage 1 (starts at 0:47)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTOU7viIgqo

Kingdom Hearts - Simple and Clean

Ratchet and Clank 3 - Courtney Gears Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpxEDi7G_Fo

Star Ocean 3 - Bitter Dance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCf2uAYiZU&feature=related

SOCOM: US Navy Seals 2 - Main Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai4kL8UlnKk&feature=related

Sciz

Ok, I wasn't going to nominate anything else, but that's a really pitiful showing for most of Classic Mega Man and Kirby. A project for tomorrow, then. In the meantime, another worthy contender is

Super Dodge Ball - Team Shadow (5:24 on)

sriyantra

This list is very uninspiring... Sonic? Mario? !
Jesus fucking Christ.

Where's the Chris Hulsbeck and Tim Follin love? Turrican II, Ghouls n Ghosts (computers), Equinox and Plok have immeasurably better soundtracks than almost any game listed here.

Whatever happened to 'real' game music appreciation? (ie not faux movie soundtracks)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
If you filter out the predictable Nintendo and Squaresoft stuff there's plenty of diverse music which has been nominated so far.

Submit your own nominations and put them up to be voted.

Sixfortyfive

Mario is usually nice and catchy and memorable. Zelda generally isn't anywhere near as epic as a lot of other stuff in this thread.

I think I'm going to make the final cutoff for this list after 500 individual games have had songs nominated. I don't know if we're there yet. Expect an actual voting thread before next weekend.

Sixfortyfive

I've cleaned up page 1 quite a bit. The main list is now down to 1 song per game. I still need to comb the recent posts for new entries, though, so if you posted a new song on page 5 or later, that's probably why it isn't there yet.

Some help with Final Fantasy and Halo would be appreciated. I'll probably screw up if left to my own devices.

Mr YuYu

you are not alone - final fantasy (Nobuo Uematsu)

the battle music from persona 3

both will probably be lincensed, so nvm :)

Gruco

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
I've cleaned up page 1 quite a bit. The main list is now down to 1 song per game. I still need to comb the recent posts for new entries, though, so if you posted a new song on page 5 or later, that's probably why it isn't there yet.

Some help with Final Fantasy and Halo would be appreciated. I'll probably screw up if left to my own devices.
FF5 - Clash on the Big Bridge, easily
FF6 - Searching for Friends, probably (not on the main page but has been listed since
FINAL FANTASY VI - SEARCHING FOR FRIENDS
FF9 - You are not alone

I know you're doing all the leg work, and I agree that having broad representation across games is a worthy goal, but will there be anything done to allow some game to have multiple reps? I can see a few missing songs that could lead to near-riots.

web01

Sixfortyfive said:

Who determines the 1 song game per game?
There should be some sort of voting process for this aswell if the song for each game is to be determined fairly otherwise theres not much point to the list.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, I simply do not agree with 1 song per game. I can appreciate you wanting to keep the list from blowing up into massive proportions, but that's unnecessarily restrictive. There's almost never a consensus on what the best track in each game is.

A list that restrictive isn't going to be very representative, and it sure as hell won't if you're the only person picking which songs make the cut. Seriously, for Beyond Good and Evil you cut Home Sweet Home for Spanish Bar. I don't think too many people will agree with that.

vetrox

blu said:
thanks for the clarification, but frankly i can't see why you'd prefer the diablo2 version (aside from the vastly superior compression/recording quality) - it's the original + 3 min of padding, which hardly improves the original tune, if not diluting it.
Well, I really enjoy those extra minutes, especially the flute (?) at the end :)

On another note, I'm going to have to nominate:
Sonic Rush - Ethno Circus
International Karate Theme
Cave Story Main Theme

Masked Man

I said wow
Gruco said:
Mother 3:
Mother 3 - Pollyanna
I could see someone going with one of the Pokey themes for Mother 3, or the Snowman theme, and would be open to discussion, but I feel pretty strongly those are the best.

Way to completely ignore the MOTHER 3 Love Theme. Truly the best piece of an altogether outstanding soundtrack, it ties together the game's underlying ideas and bolsters the game's emotional core. Porky has some good stuff, though, I will agree.

Top Bottom