• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what's your favourite Mobile Suit from Gundam Wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

It's Deathscythe Hell.

I would have liked Heavyarms a lot, if I wasn't so annoyed at the thing running out of ammunition every goddamned time.
Dat jump tho

It doesn't make any goddamn sense, but dang if Wing Zero Custom isn't badass.

Lulubop

wpid-DSC_37771.jpg

Epyon is so badass.

Verelios

I love Heavy Arms design concept but the show was determined to make him so lame. Still love the suit, though not as much as Wing Zero.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Tallgeese III is pretty amazing with it's really simplistic and sleek design. I'd say between that and the ver Ka of Deathscythe.

Ridley327

I've never seen anything gundam before, but I love giant robots. Where should I start with gundam?

If you want a good introductory series, Wing is probably the best place to start. It's basically a super condensed version of the first two series plus the first original movie that they did, but it's designed in such a way where you can get the right feel for everything else right away. If you like that, chances are you'll like the rest of Gundam; if you don't like it, chances are Gundam really isn't for you. There are some outliers, like G Gundam, that don't really follow the same premise beyond "here's some giant robots that look like samurai armor," but by and large Wing is as close to a litmus test for the franchise as you can get.

SkyOdin

Call me crazy, but I'm tempted to say the Leo. It is my favorite grunt mech from Gundam. I like its simple and functional design, and it has a ton of optional features. The Leo also gets points for actually beating a Gundam, which is better than 99% of all other grunts. Of course, the Tallgeese is just a Leo with better stats and a cool helmet, so it is hard to argue with those votes.

I've never seen anything gundam before, but I love giant robots. Where should I start with gundam?
Gundam Wing isn't bad if you can put up with the old animation and occasionally unfathomable characters. It was the first Gundam series to be officially translated, and was thus the intro to the franchise for a lot of people (such as me). It has its bad parts, but I still love it.

If you want something current and don't mind reading subtitles, then either Gundam Build Fighters or the still-airing Iron Blooded Orphans are pretty good. Build Fighters is a kid-focused show that is very unlike many other Gundam shows, since it is all about kids dueling with plastic models. However, it is supeisingly well-written and has some amazing fights. Iron Blooded Orphans is a dark and mature take on the franchise. It combines some really dark themes with some very bloody combat, but it's real strength lies in its slow-paced storytelling with strong character development.

Turin

Banned
I'm partial to Talgeese and Wing Zero.

Gundam Wing is still one of my favorite shows on a surface/aesthetic level even though it's mind numbingly pretentious.

None of them. They're all over designed. Leos aren't bad though.

Call me crazy, but I'm tempted to say the Leo. It is my favorite grunt mech from Gundam. I like its simple and functional design, and it has a ton of optional features. The Leo also gets points for actually beating a Gundam, which is better than 99% of all other grunts. Of course, the Tallgeese is just a Leo with better stats and a cool helmet, so it is hard to argue with those votes.

A Zaku beat a Gundam in 0080... Technically

OK, so I'm not crazy for thinking they went way too overboard with D-Hell in EW. They went way too far to make it the evil doppelganger of WZC, so you've got blades coming out of places they don't need to be. The series version is way more clean looking.

Plus, the series had those cool looking ribcage vents.

You certainly are not crazy. Some people (Shun) think that the series versions of Wings Gundams are too plain and feels that the EW versions at least have character, but most people I know prefer the series version of Deathscythe Hell.

Here's a nice little thing that might help you. Personally I would tell you to start with the original Mobile Suit Gundam (you could watch the trilogy movie but I say watch the series), then Zeta Gundam, you can skip ZZ or watch it, then watch Char's Counterattack. Basically just work your way through production order.

If you want just the highlights then of the Universal Century you should watch the four above and then watch Unicorn, and of the Alternate Centuries you could watch 00 season one, Wing, or Seed. The difference being that Universal Century series are one timeline and are all connected, using similar technology and referencing each other. While the AU stuff is all self contained. There's also Iron Blooded Orphans which is airing now, and so far is pretty good.

Wing Zero from Endless Waltz.

Angel wings plus double buster rifles easily made it my favorite. Especially the angel wings, when in most cases it would look bad or cheesy, they made it look badass.

Garlador

While Gundam Wing is where MOST American Gundam fans began (and it's extremely accessible), you also can't go wrong with these as your intro into Gundam:

Gundam SEED
tumblr_n5g2nfNz061tsd88vo1_400.gif

It's even more similar to the original UC universe in terms of storyline, characters, and tone, yet it also isn't afraid to go so much darker. It pits best friend against best friend, knows how to keep the stakes high, and is very well paced. The action is top-notch, the characters are great, and the final few episodes are a roller coaster. Just... stop after this one. There's a sequel series, but it's a bit controversial and reception is pretty mixed. This series, though, is stellar.

Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories
tumblr_nel3b0C2hi1tzixowo1_500.gif

This one is considered the first real "action" Gundam series. At 13 episodes, it's a very digestible length to view, and it's packed with stunning animation, phenomenal action sequences, some great characters, and some interesting twists. It's also the first one to really push a Gundam vs Gundam rivalry. Only issues with this one is, despite a super-epic climax, it doesn't get much resolution since the events depicted in here spiral into the Z Gundam universe and helps set that up rather than wrapping everything up.

Gundam: 08th MS Team
tumblr_ndpwp7Aa9c1sgtx3io1_500.gif

This is by far the most "grounded" of the Gundam series. Literally, since only the first episode has any space combat. This one dispenses with some of the more mystical and philosophical stuff and gets right into the nitty gritty of ground warfare. This is a show about normal rank and file soldiers, duking it out in guerrilla warfare on Earth. In all honesty, this is probably my favorite Gundam series overall, but especially after the half-way mark (the original director died and the series picked up years later with a new director... and he does some great work). This one is the one that shows you just how gritty and grimy war can be, and it's not afraid to blur the lines between who the real enemy is.

Special shout-out to Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.
First three episodes: Ah, this is nice. This is a fairly lighthearted Gundam series about a young schoolboy who befriends a soldier. They bond. Get into mischief. Is fairly whimsical even... almost cutesy and sweet. This is probably the most heart-warming Gundam ever ma...

Episode 4:
(I still need therapy from the final episodes).

Drain You

Deathsycthe has always been my favorite since I was a kid. Besides that any of the ones with the more organic looking wings.

Obviously the one from Endless Waltz or whatever. Wing Gundam 0 or something.

Seed is great, my favorite that I've watched. It's good for beginners as well. I watched wing as a kid and tried to get back into it but I couldn't. 08th is a more realistic take, short but really good. I enjoyed Seed Destiny but it took awhile to get into.

The original gundam holds up well if you can tolerate the animation. Zeta Gundam still looks fantastic. 00 is good as well.

If you don't like on gundam try another, they're all a little different from each other genre wise.

JCX

Sandrock Custom and Heavyarms Custom. Endless Waltz designs were less practical/versartile but more fun. This thread has me wanting to finish the Gundam model kits I bought out of nostalgia years ago.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Some really....weird....Gundam advice in here o_O

Ok. Gundam.

Best place to start is the Gundam movie trilogy. This will let you know of actual Gundam is for you. If you enjoy that I would recommend digging into the OVAs. 0080, 08th MS, and 0083 to begin with. If you are really getting into it, dive into the full series Zeta, ZZ, etc.

I wouldnt recommend really diving into the AUs(G, W, X, Turn A, SEED, 00, Age, BF, IBO) immediately. Some are fucking amazing(G, Turn A, BF, IBO), some are pretty bad(SEED, Age), but all of them you will really get more out of if you have seen the proper UC series

Garlador

This thread needs more Sandrock.

Sandrock is really the "underrated" Gundam of the series. He doesn't get all the guns that Trowa did, Wufei gets a fire-breathing dragon Gundam, Duo's rocking the "grim reaper" Gundam look, Zechs gets Epyon - the Gundam of all Gundams, Heero gets Wing Zero... he gets a Gundam with two swords, spends his time in the desert, and he's totally against fighting if possible...

... yet it's such a great close-quarter mobile suit and looks so damn cool throughout the series.

Sandrock's not my favorite, but it's probably in my top 4, and you bet I'd buy a MG kit of the original TV version as soon as Bandai gets around to making one.

Garlador

... This thread needs more Mercurius and Vayeate love.
Robot-Damashii-Vayeate-and-Mercurius-Gundam-Wing-Robot-Spirits-Figures-e1370459528114.jpg

Probably not anyone's "favorites" (I could be wrong!), but they were a pretty awesome tag-team duo.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
... This thread needs more Mercurius and Vayeate love.
Robot-Damashii-Vayeate-and-Mercurius-Gundam-Wing-Robot-Spirits-Figures-e1370459528114.jpg

Probably not anyone's "favorites" (I could be wrong!), but they were a pretty awesome tag-team duo.
Indeed

I watched the first episode of Gundam Wing, and it seems like the Gundams just cut through everything like paper. Do we ever get to the point where they're up against some real challenges?

Iron Blooded Orphans has it so that the Gundam is still severely challenged by some pretty strong non-Gundam mobile suits, and I really liked that.

Tallgeese is my favorite in games, as developers generally take that 'strong enough to kill the pilot' thing a bit too far. Epyon is my favorite design, though. I couldn't believe MGSV
bogarted the heat whip.
Best addition ever.

So despite being a massive Gundam fan, I have never seen Gundam Wing (along with some other series like Turn A, Victory and the new ones like AGE and G-Reco)

I always thought Deathscythe was the coolest that I've seen from Wing...this thread has shown me Wing had some seriously awesome designs and I should definitely watch it

213372bu

Banned
Haven't watched all of them but...

The original series (Gundam 0079) and not the movies.

Lots (all?) of the other Gundams are based off it canonically and many Gundams borrow the themes/designs from it.

It has the best villain (Char) and a nice villain of the week sorta vibe when it doesn't revolve around the main plot.

English Dub is also amazing, one of the few anime where I'd say it might be better than the original dub.
--
OT: Tallgeese and Heavy Arms ofc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom