• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Clipper

Would one of the people who has upgraded to 4.2 and wants to install USB Loader please PM me? I'd like to get the steps of the tutorial straight and need somebody with a Wii to test that I have this right (I guarantee your Wii will be safe).

Grand_Gamer said:
Nintendo already corrected the problem with the FW 4.2? Or are they planning on release a new firmware or something?
There's no word yet whether they corrected it as yet. As for plans, this is Nintedno we're talking about, they are not going to pre-announce a fix. Either the existing 4.2 update will silently change to a different type (like the October 23rd update), they will release 4.3 without mentioning or acknowledging the previous bug, or they will use the fact that the number of Wiis that are bricking are so few that they will just repair any non-homebrew, update-bricked Wiis for free.

I certainly hope it's not the latter choice, but it's a definite possibility. I'm pretty sure that it is predetermined whether the 4.2 (and very probably any future updates using the broken boot2 code) will brick your Wii or not. Fortunately, if that happens, Team Twiizers will likely release something for those people scared of updating.

Linkhero1

I don't think they will release a new firmware right after this one. I do think they will fix whatever problem the 4.2 firmware has and replace it with 4.2v2 or something. How likely is it that they will remove the boot2 overwrite that firmware 4.2 has?

Brannon

I've been reading, and I'd like a homebrew Wii more and more. My system has a serial number that starts with LU32... and it's currently at 4.0. Would that put me out of luck, or is there a way to install homebrew? Not being able to access the Wii Shop is eating at me, and I don't want to update to 4.2.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Brannon said:
I've been reading, and I'd like a homebrew Wii more and more. My system has a serial number that starts with LU32... and it's currently at 4.0. Would that put me out of luck, or is there a way to install homebrew? Not being able to access the Wii Shop is eating at me, and I don't want to update to 4.2.

You can get homebrew. Just use bannerbomb.

Clipper

Brannon said:
You're system is perfect. Here's all you need to get going:

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
By the way.. the WiiSCU method of updating the Wii Shop didn't work for me... I'm on 4.1. Has anyone actually gotten this to work? I'm positive I followed the instructions correctly. I go into the Shop channel and it still asks me to update first...

Now that we have bannerbomb on 4.2... I wonder if we should just go through with the update? We will have to eventually... I mean what are we waiting for? It's probable that 4.3+ will write to boot2 as well, don't you think? Are we waiting for some sort of new homebrew safety measure... or just a good reason to force us to upgrade? (NSMB, etc.) As of now my shop doesn't work... so I've got my 4.2 incentive....

BocoDragon

Well... I'm trying it again... not hopeful about it...

Once I get past the risk of 4.2 and its boot2 shenanigans.. is there any actual downside to this version for homebrew now that bannerbomb is here?

Clipper

BocoDragon said:
By the way.. the WiiSCU method of updating the Wii Shop didn't work for me... I'm on 4.1. Has anyone actually gotten this to work? I'm positive I followed the instructions correctly. I go into the Shop channel and it still asks me to update first...

Now that we have bannerbomb on 4.2... I wonder if we should just go through with the update? We will have to eventually... I mean what are we waiting for? It's probable that 4.3+ will write to boot2 as well, don't you think? Are we waiting for some sort of new homebrew safety measure... or just a good reason to force us to upgrade? (NSMB, etc.) As of now my shop doesn't work... so I've got my 4.2 incentive....
This seems to be happening to a few people. Apparently there is a v17 of the shop and only v16 is downloaded, but this is enough for most and not enough for very few.

I think what you want to use instead is a program called DOP-IOS. I'll try making a tutorial up later.

As for the incentive to not upgrade, there are several:

1: Nintendo can easily fix their update code so that it no longer bricks any systems. BootMii is already set up like this.
2: Nintendo may stop updating boot2 in future upgrades (unlikely)
3: If Nintendo continues to use the faulty boot2 update code, Team Twiizers will likely release a boot2 updater that does what Nintendo should have done (i.e., step 1).

All three result in zero chance of bricking your Wii, and it seems fairly certain that at least one will happen. The performance enhancements are minor at best and not worth even the tiny risk you take in upgrading.

Once I get past the risk of 4.2 and its boot2 shenanigans.. is there any actual downside to this version for homebrew now that bannerbomb is here?
Yes, but only if you don't install IOS249 before updating to 4.2. The one app that it seems Nintendo has succeeded to block with the 4.2 update is the Trucha Bug Restorer. This means that to install a cIOS on a virgin Wii, you are required to use cboot2. cboot2 is a distribution of Nintendo's boot2 code, and hence it is illegal to distribute. The download method actually involves you sending an e-mail to get the needed file sent to you.

BocoDragon

No luck...

SO... I have the latest BootMii and HBC.... will they survive 4.2 upgrade now? I know HBC will... but will I have to reinstall BootMii or has that been worked around?

edit: oh thanks clip... I'll sleep on it perhaps. I don't NEED a Wii Shop game now... I just didn't want to wait for nothing.

Clipper

I've updated the tutorial with a new Wii Shop method. This one should work when WiiSCU doesn't.

Edit: I'm also still looking for anyone who updated to 4.2 already and wants to use USB Loader on their Wii. Please PM me if you do.

big_z

i followed "Amarokz Softmod Wii 4.2 Guide" on gbatemp and everything works fine. takes a bit of time but it works.

BocoDragon

Alright... thank you very much Clipper.. this alternative method has succeeded! Wii Shop works!

Just a note to everyone that the installer for this tends to hang with no movement for quite a while on several occasions... I was spooked for a few times there... The whole process is pretty lengthy! (could be the download process and my connection is slow). Luckily it came through in the end!

Gotta love this :D

:lol can we post that another 3 times on the same page please? (real gaffers have 100 posts per page btw).

Nintendo should look at ps3 for its next gen security features

TunaLover

hmoon64-a.jpg

I can confirm that Harvest Moon 64 emulation is perfect!
Hope that future release of Wii64 can emulate more at this level :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
indeed. BLAST CORPS needs to be visually decent on my hdtv, and if nintendo won't put it on v.c., wii64 is a nice second option.

they need some kind of task force on the job solely to get BLAST CORPS running.

jrricky

Banned
why doesnt this automatic reboot to Wii Menu not work for bootmii? Is there a default setting for this? I changed the numbers but it still doesnt work...

Nabs

im not sure if its still an issue, but add an extra blank line at the end of the ini just in case.

if bootdelay & autoboot have # in front of 'em, be sure to get rid of that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, does anyone know if someone ever made a patch to add the Rumble from Japanese Rerelease of Super Mario 64 to the American version? Or something to the same effect?

TunaLover

Drkirby said:
Hey, does anyone know if someone ever made a patch to add the Rumble from Japanese Rerelease of Super Mario 64 to the American version? Or something to the same effect?

I'm not sure there a lot of patched Mario64s =P, you could try the Japanese version, Wii64 has rumble support.

Brannon

Sorry for the late update, but it took literally 10 minutes go from standard to HB, and that was with fiddling with the lock switch on my SD card. That was... fast. Finally able to get into the Shop and buy Paper Mario for the first time.

Game is awesome.

BocoDragon

ZombieSupaStar said:
... Such as giving us region free gaming out of the box, lessening the desire to hack it in the first place!

It's funny because their handhelds have been region free for years... And just as their competitiors are opening up to region free home consoles.. They actually tighten it up by locking the region of DSi!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ZombieSupaStar said:

Well Sony basically has the perfect storm there. A disc medium that costs $25 a disc to burn and hundreds for a burner, disc drives that aren't off the shelf so there's no drive firmware hacking efforts, a hypervisor, lots of operating system level checks, and a custom processor :p

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
nincompoop said:
Is it common for the Homebrew App Browser to have server issues? I've had trouble connecting to it all day.

The site's giving 403 Forbidden errors. Looks like the hosting domain's down.

Clipper

jrricky said:
why doesnt this automatic reboot to Wii Menu not work for bootmii? Is there a default setting for this? I changed the numbers but it still doesnt work...
If you had already removed the '#' characters as suggested earlier, did you perhaps update the HBC and not update BootMii? That would also explain the feature not working.

And sorry to those that dislike it, but it is needed:
For all your questions about homebrew and updating, look here first:

McNum

Just had a strange thought about why Nintendo are updating boot2 on even those Wiis that already have v4. It's probably just paranoia, but wouldn't this mean that all stock 4.2 Wiis now have the exact same boot2 code? It doesn't matter if it's a 2006 or 2009 model, they're exactly alike now. This sure makes it much easier to detect modifications to boot2. If the code there isn't exactly what's in the 4.2 update, and the version is 4.2 or higher, then the Wii is modded. It's a dead giveaway.

Could this be why Nintendo warns against "future inoperability"? Because if you don't have the official boot2v4 on a 4.2+ Wii when 5.0 rolls out something bad happens? It's a very underhanded move, but on the other hand, it's a pretty effective way to sniff out bootmii or similar next time.

The big question is: Is Nintendo clever enough to have thought of this and devious enough to actually pull it off?

Again, it's just a random thought that popped into my head when reading this topic, but I can't really see why Nintendo couldn't be up to something like this. It's a dick move, yes, and probably not the most likely scenario, but it's not impossible.

Haunted

beelzebozo said:
indeed. BLAST CORPS needs to be visually decent on my hdtv, and if nintendo won't put it on v.c., wii64 is a nice second option.

they need some kind of task force on the job solely to get BLAST CORPS running.
I regard every release of a N64 emu on Wii as "beta" until Blast Corps is running perfectly at full speed. That's 1.0

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TunaLover said:
I'm not sure there a lot of patched Mario64s =P, you could try the Japanese version, Wii64 has rumble support.
Yah, I know, thats why I want it now. If I can't get it in English, I still have a 12 year old Strategy guide for the game I could hunt down and use to know what to do for the stars.

On anther note, how is the PS1 emulator?

zigg

McNum said:
The big question is: Is Nintendo clever enough to have thought of this and devious enough to actually pull it off?

Never ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

I think you know which side to pick... :)

wsippel

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Well Sony basically has the perfect storm there. A disc medium that costs $25 a disc to burn and hundreds for a burner, disc drives that aren't off the shelf so there's no drive firmware hacking efforts, a hypervisor, lots of operating system level checks, and a custom processor :p
Not to mention a lower installed base, and since most big games are multiplatform and playable on a hacked 360, there's a lot less effort from the hacking community. If the PS3 would have been as successful as it's predecessors, I bet it would have been cracked wide open a while ago. Regardless, I've actually heard some rumblings a few weeks ago, so we might see something soon (piracy, not homebrew I'm afraid).

Clipper

McNum said:
Just had a strange thought about why Nintendo are updating boot2 on even those Wiis that already have v4. It's probably just paranoia, but wouldn't this mean that all stock 4.2 Wiis now have the exact same boot2 code? It doesn't matter if it's a 2006 or 2009 model, they're exactly alike now. This sure makes it much easier to detect modifications to boot2. If the code there isn't exactly what's in the 4.2 update, and the version is 4.2 or higher, then the Wii is modded. It's a dead giveaway.

Could this be why Nintendo warns against "future inoperability"? Because if you don't have the official boot2v4 on a 4.2+ Wii when 5.0 rolls out something bad happens? It's a very underhanded move, but on the other hand, it's a pretty effective way to sniff out bootmii or similar next time.

Again, it's just a random thought that popped into my head when reading this topic, but I can't really see why Nintendo couldn't be up to something like this. It's a dick move, yes, and probably not the most likely scenario, but it's not impossible.
It wouldn't work. For one thing, I'm not entirely sure they have functions capable of reading the contents of boot2. If they do, those functions would actually take some time to run and hence could only operate during an update. Thus, Team Twiizers or someone else would just release an app to install a clean boot2 for the update and then BootMii could be applied again immediately afterwards.

McNum

zigg said:
Never ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

I think you know which side to pick... :)

Yup, I know that one. It's why I doubt my speculations are anything more than that. I really don't think Nintendo will start bricking Wiis with modded boot2 code, but there's no technical reason they couldn't now. Just outright delete the modded boot2 and the Wii is dead. The pieces are in place, by design or by accident. If it's by design, the next update is going to be... interesting. It's unwise to underestimate Nintendo. They're not as harmless as they look. I doubt they're this nasty, but you never know. Well, at least this is worth keeping in mind, I think. I was considering installing the HBC, but I think I'll pass. If my Wii is to die in an update, I want it to be Nintendo's fault, not mine. The 4.2 update went smooth for me, though.

Drkirby said:
On anther note, how is the PS1 emulator?
It's very bare bones in terms of features atm but the emulation quality appears to be pretty solid. I tested Crash Bandicoot 2 and it was running very close to full speed, about 55fps on average. The sound emulation sucks and it doesn't have any options whatsoever (not even an option menu). I think its development is currently on hold because the team working on it is the same team working on Wii64.

Clipper

McNum said:
If my Wii is to die in an update, I want it to be Nintendo's fault, not mine. The 4.2 update went smooth for me, though.
Your decision is perfectly valid. Just understand that you had just as much chance of your console bricking as if you had HBC installed with this update and you can almost guarantee that there will be workarounds within a few days if Nintendo did start bricking hacked consoles with an update.

hokahey

nincompoop said:
Is it common for the Homebrew App Browser to have server issues? I've had trouble connecting to it all day.

Crud, me too. Not sure how to get certain things on my SD card without it. Stupid sexy HBB.

rowanimox

Neo Member
quick question, when i look at the games that i have on the hard drive, their names doesnt show.

what i mean is, when i'm using cover view(i hope thats the right term), all i see is like 4 letter (like RV4P). but when i go to list mode everything is ok.

also, i tried using WBFS manager with my western digital 320GB hard drive and it tells me that the drive is being used.

Thanks in advance!

McNum

Clipper said:
Your decision is perfectly valid. Just understand that you had just as much chance of your console bricking as if you had HBC installed with this update and you can almost guarantee that there will be workarounds within a few days if Nintendo did start bricking hacked consoles with an update.

Yup, perfectly aware that when I installed 4.2, there was a risk. I did it anyway. I just don't want Nintendo to be able to pin the blame on me in any way. I know perfectly well that HBC won't harm my Wii if I installed it, but Nintendo isn't going to get that excuse if my Wii ever needs repairs from a failed update. Let's just call it that I have experience with companies weasling out due to inane technicalities and leave it at that.

However, I'm not against homebrew in general, just the jerks who abuse it for piracy, but for Wii, I'm staying out. For you guys using the HBC for non-piracy use, have fun, and enjoy.

Clipper

rowanimox said:
quick question, when i look at the games that i have on the hard drive, their names doesnt show.

what i mean is, when i'm using cover view(i hope thats the right term), all i see is like 4 letter (like RV4P). but when i go to list mode everything is ok.

also, i tried using WBFS manager with my western digital 320GB hard drive and it tells me that the drive is being used.

Thanks in advance!
I think you need a new titles.txt. You can get it out of the latest release package. It should go in your base directory (typically sd:/usb-loader)

rowanimox

Neo Member
thanks clipper!

another followup question. i'd like to have some cover images for the games but since i cant access the drive in wbfs manager, is there another way to download the images?

Hey GAF, I have a Wii I homebrew'd maybe a year or more ago. I had been told not to update the Wii version at one point, and I just checked now and was shocked to find mine is still back on 3.2 US. Is this a good or a bad thing? I have never been in this thread, and figured out homebrewing through YouTube when I set it up.. Is my homebrew channel (version 1.0.3) not as good as the 1.0.5 they are asking me now to update to? And what's new in the past year with homebrew? I heard you can load game backups now off an external hd? Can you FTP them instead? And how does having a Mac fit into this whole thing?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

MasterAJ22 said:
Hey GAF, I have a Wii I homebrew'd maybe a year or more ago. I had been told not to update the Wii version at one point, and I just checked now and was shocked to find mine is still back on 3.2 US. Is this a good or a bad thing? I have never been in this thread, and figured out homebrewing through YouTube when I set it up.. Is my homebrew channel (version 1.0.3) not as good as the 1.0.5 they are asking me now to update to? And what's new in the past year with homebrew? I heard you can load game backups now off an external hd? Can you FTP them instead? And how does having a Mac fit into this whole thing?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I personally find the SDHC support in the 4.0 menu to be extremely useful to allow me to have a free fridge. You'd have to find a game with 4.0 on a game disc though... I presume Wii Sports Resort has it.

And always always update the Homebrew Channel. And update your BootMii installation as well.

Speevy

Banned
I just bought a used Wii online.

When it arrives, should I start putting homebrew stuff on it or wait a little bit?

Top Bottom