• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Anony said:
no, it's more like, these games are so old already, it's 'okay' to download them

also, it's technically not available on retail shelf, so even if you wanted to buy it, you cant
and second hand/used sales are moot because it's so old, you're not doing anyone any favours (other than eb) when buying those

anyways, i'd love to see some pics of the upside down hbc

well not to derail but id say with the advent of vc, psn, xbla and retro gaming, this kinda stuff might hurt re-realeses this gen, where as last gen (and the previous) it really didnt.

personally I think this stifled release schedule for all 3 is stupid, be like amazon/itunes is with mp3s just get everything up at once, its just money your not earning the longer you putz around dropping pellets for us hamsters one at a time.

big_z

is the firmware updater 4.2 by Waninkoko legit? i dont see it on his blog. if it is real is it safe to update with?

i have my homebrew and loader updated so now it's just the firmware.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's as legit as any of his software, in all honesty.
It might not be on his blog yet, but it's definitely his.
That, or someone's hacked his accounts on various forums.

Varna

Let me get this straight. The newest update has a high probability of bricking systems (or is it something that is targeting homebrew users) and Nintendo has not pulled it? What the fuck?

Mejilan

It has an extremely low probability of bricking, going by the relative dearth of reports.
Just going by the anecdotal evidence gleaned from various blogs and forums, it seems like the recent pair of PS3 3.00/3.01 firmware updates have ruined more systems than Nintendo's 4.2 update.

Mejilan said:
It's as legit as any of his software, in all honesty.
It might not be on his blog yet, but it's definitely his.
That, or someone's hacked his accounts on various forums.

According to some folks on GBATemp some Wii discs aren't working. Legit and "Backups"
If it has to do with Modchips or not, I don't know.

I'm not jumping in yet on upgrading the system menu.

Clipper

big_z said:
is the firmware updater 4.2 by Waninkoko legit? i dont see it on his blog. if it is real is it safe to update with?

i have my homebrew and loader updated so now it's just the firmware.
Don't do it. There is still no benefit (well maybe The Conduit online play) and Waninkoko's updaters are rife with Trucha patching and so on, so you might also get a nice upside-down HBC.

It is very unlikely that future games will need or install 4.2. Due to the unfortunate way the piracy world works, we will know before launch if they do have updates and so on anyway.

Mejilan

Golden Darkness said:
According to some folks on GBATemp some Wii discs aren't working. Legit and "Backups"
If it has to do with Modchips or not, I don't know.

I'm not jumping in yet on upgrading the system menu.

There was an inferred negative spin to my "legit as any of his software" comment.
Though I recognize what he's brought to the table, and even use some of it occasionally, I do not have a very high opinion of Waninkoko and his Wii coding efforts.

Somnid

Mejilan said:
It has an extremely low probability of bricking, going by the relative dearth of reports.
Just going by the anecdotal evidence gleaned from various blogs and forums, it seems like the recent pair of PS3 3.00/3.01 firmware updates have ruined more systems than Nintendo's 4.2 update.

Pretty much. Dragona just got a little over-zealous especially in the way it was worded. People just seem more agitated because aside from attacking homebrew all it offers are a few hidden bugfixes.

plufim

Mejilan said:
Seriously. The only reason it's getting so much attention is that it removes HBC. It's no worse than any update on any other system.

Mejilan

plufim said:
Seriously. The only reason it's getting so much attention is that it removes HBC. It's no worse than any update on any other system.

That's not true. Nintendo's boot2 rewrite code IS dodgy. This is the very first time they've employed it. So yeah, this update is certainly more dangerous than any update before it; more dangerous than any firmware update SHOULD be. It's getting attention because it's both dangerous and almost completely useless, regardless of the danger.

DanteFox

quick question: today when I turned on the HBC I was greeted with a message to update the channel and promptly did so. Is this version of the HBC the one that's safe from being erased by 4.2? I won't update regardless, I'm just curious.

Clipper

DanteFox said:
quick question: today when I turned on the HBC I was greeted with a message to update the channel and promptly did so. Is this version of the HBC the one that's safe from being erased by 4.2? I won't update regardless, I'm just curious.
Yes it is.

TunaLover

DanteFox said:

Yes, it can´t be detected by 4.2.

Clipper

Bannerbomb has a 4.2 version.

This means we now have the means to easily put HBC onto any Wii. USB Loaders on a virgin Wii are also possible via cboot2, but I'm hoping we get a new version of TBR (perhaps there already is one) before adding cboot2 to the tutorial.

Papa

Banned
This is probably a bit of an ignorant question, but I've only started using my Wii again recently (not that I used it much to begin with), so I don't know too much about the system.

Is it possible to access the Wii store without being updated to 4.2?

big_z

when installing bootmii IOS or boot2 does it change or install anything on your wii or does it install everything on the sd card?

also can it be uninstalled?

Clipper said:

This means we now have the means to easily put HBC onto any Wii. USB Loaders on a virgin Wii are also possible via cboot2, but I'm hoping we get a new version of TBR (perhaps there already is one) before adding cboot2 to the tutorial.
wow, Nintendo accomplished so much with 4.2, i mean jjust wow.

Clipper

big_z said:
when installing bootmii IOS or boot2 does it change or install anything on your wii or does it install everything on the sd card?

also can it be uninstalled?

Both add stuff to your Wii, and the SD card too. BootMii can be uninstalled in its latest iteration according to the update notes.

Burai

shitonmychest57
CTLance said:
Yeah, that was totally worth the risk of bricking the Wiis of your honest customers. Good jon, Nintendo.

This is also why people who claim console manufacturers should brick modded machines should die in a fire. You just can't avoid false-positives. And if the update itself is buggy, you end up with a huge mess. Like this one.

OMG Aero

Mejilan said:
Yeah, the current thread title and the announcement post makes it sound a lot higher than it actually is. The majority of the bricked consoles I have heard about was from when people unplugged their Wii while it was updating anyway.

Bizzyb

Banned
Clipper said:

:lol

And just like that Nintendo has been PWNED

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't think i'll update yet. i don't know that i'm smart enough to get the homebrew channel installed again, and i don't feel like dealing with it.

LM4sure

Banned
It doesn't really seem like there are any advantages to updating, and no games require the update to be installed. I'll wait until these issues are resolved.

CoolS

Updated do 4.2 after updating my Homebrew Channel. Got an error message fpr 3 times while updaing before I finally succeeded. Don't really know why I risked updating either.:lol

But thankfully no problems now.

I as looking foward to replaying goemon using Wii64 since my memory pak no longer works, but the compatibility lists says "Unplayable - infinite loop in 1 player"

what the hell does that even mean? Are the goemon games impossible to emulate?

Bizzyb

Banned
..pakbeka.. said:
I as looking foward to replaying goemon using Wii64 since my memory pak no longer works, but the compatibility lists says "Unplayable - infinite loop in 1 player"

what the hell does that even mean? Are the goemon games impossible to emulate?

It's a Beta. What do you expect? Oh and I would suggest you not take this line of dialog too much further

Clipper said:

Holy shit :lol

Does this mean one won't get the upside-down HBC?

beelzebozo said:
i am so gonna play some NBA HANGTIME today. NBA JAM imitation with rpg elements ftw
More of a sequel. Looking at Wikipedia, it looks like a bit of a Guitar Hero / Rock Band situation, with the Jam name and the original development team parting ways.

swerve

Burai said:
This is also why people who claim console manufacturers should brick modded machines should die in a fire. You just can't avoid false-positives. And if the update itself is buggy, you end up with a huge mess. Like this one.

Well, no that's not true. You only end up with a mess if you do it poorly. As in this case.

However, it could be argued that they have no choice but to try. Nintendo don't exist in a bubble, they have to answer to shareholders and to court publishers, all of whom want assurances that piracy is being fought as much as possible.

But yeah, anyway the scale of the problems is not easy to determine and we should refrain from jumping to conclusions. There's a hefty amount of self-righteousness going on with the homebrewers enjoying any chance to criticise Nintendo's somewhat sloppy attempts, and heavily emphasising the risks of rewriting Boot2 in theory as much as in practise.

If the number of calls to Nintendo customer service were significantly higher than the expected tolerance, the update would have been withdrawn. If that happens anytime soon, we can assume there is a problem. Until then there's only an ideological problem of what should you do when people are ripping you off? I don't know the best route that doesn't involve a time machine in this case.

For the record I updated to 4.2 without a hitch. All it seems to have done it stop me being able to black-screen-crash my wii by selecting channels too quickly at startup.

So I was thinking of installing the Homebrew Channel so I can update the Shop Channel without having to update my Wii, but the tutorial says I need an SDHC card instead of an SD card since my Wii is 4.0? Is this just badly worded or is there some reason that the installer won't work on a regular SD card?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
JoshuaJSlone said:
More of a sequel. Looking at Wikipedia, it looks like a bit of a Guitar Hero / Rock Band situation, with the Jam name and the original development team parting ways.

ah! well, either way, this game is totally rad. i made a little midget point guard with three point shooting abilities through the damn roof. i even artificially extended some games by letting the cpu score to tie it up so we'd go into overtime, as i recall the longer the game went (or the more points you scored in a game or something) the more points you'd get to put into your player.

god, i miss arcade basketball.

Clipper

nincompoop said:
So I was thinking of installing the Homebrew Channel so I can update the Shop Channel without having to update my Wii, but the tutorial says I need an SDHC card instead of an SD card since my Wii is 4.0? Is this just badly worded or is there some reason that the installer won't work on a regular SD card?
I'll fix the wording to make it clearer, but this was just saying that you can use an SDHC card if you want to with 4.0 or higher.

Clipper said:
I'll fix the wording to make it clearer, but this was just saying that you can use an SDHC card if you want to with 4.0 or higher.
Thanks, just get rid of the word "instead" since saying you need SDHC instead of SD seemed to imply that you can't use SD.

I still find it hilariously ironic that the people Nintendo were targeting, homebrewers, knew about the dangers of the update and refrained, thus only hitting (and bricking) people who don't even know what HBC is. And then ~72 hours later, there's a complete workaround for homebrew. Again.

Clipper

Dragona Akehi said:
And then ~72 hours later, there's a complete workaround for homebrew. Again.
There's not a nice workaround for USB Loading yet, though. It seems the only technique available right now for 4.2 Wiis that didn't have IOS249 installed before is cboot2, and it is of suspect legality. I don't want to have to add it to the tutorial, but it's looking like I may have to...

Clipper said:
There's not a nice workaround for USB Loading yet, though. It seems the only technique available right now for 4.2 Wiis that didn't have IOS249 installed before is cboot2, and it is of suspect legality. I don't want to have to add it to the tutorial, but it's looking like I may have to...

Well when I say workaround I mean the fact that you can either download 4.2 (why would you and risk bricking your unit?) and then have the new bannerbomb/hackmii installer go to work, or as usual not update and just use a homebrew app (WiiSCU) to update the only thing necessary for full use of your Wii: the Shop Channel.

I'm positive there'll be a workaround for USBLoader on 4.2 systems shortly. I give it a week. Fortnight, tops.

I mean really, Nintendo. You ought to just give up now.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Does this 4.2 update install a new boot2 on newer wiis? I thought the newer wii's boot2 was not writable?

TunaLover

Clipper said:
Doesn't 4.2 overwrites 249?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dragona Akehi said:
I still find it hilariously ironic that the people Nintendo were targeting, homebrewers, knew about the dangers of the update and refrained, thus only hitting (and bricking) people who don't even know what HBC is. And then ~72 hours later, there's a complete workaround for homebrew. Again.

And that’s precisely why Nintendo should just quit trying to kill pirating on the Wii.

I really have no problem with them battling pirates, but on the Wii it’s a lost cause in the most literal sense. The console is so easily hacked, and so opened up as is, that pirates are not going to be defeated. As has been shown by a huge amount of the 4.2 update, an update specifically targeted towards homebrewers, already circumnavigated and further hacks on the way.

On top of that a vast majority of pirates are going to be keeping up to speed with all firmware updates. They had to go through the procedure of installing custom IOSs so they’re tech savvy to some degree, and would know the places that keep updated on latest news. They see that the 4.2 update can damage homebrew and thus do not update.

So who gets hurt? Everbody else. With the fundamental risk of the 4.2 update being the actual fucking update, regardless of whether you have homebrew or not, you’re left with a lot of people who don’t pirate, who don’t even know what homebrew is, as the people most likely to be hit with a brick. They’re the people who these kinds of updates are supposed to ‘protect’.

It’s really very shameful. Even if it’s not remotely a widespread issue, the fact the issue exists from a company of such size and wealth as Nintendo is truly pathetic.

HUELEN10

Dragona Akehi said:
Well when I say workaround I mean the fact that you can either download 4.2 (why would you and risk bricking your unit?) and then have the new bannerbomb/hackmii installer go to work, or as usual not update and just use a homebrew app (WiiSCU) to update the only thing necessary for full use of your Wii: the Shop Channel.

I'm positive there'll be a workaround for USBLoader on 4.2 systems shortly. I give it a week. Fortnight, tops.

I mean really, Nintendo. You ought to just give up now.
I love it when people use that word. :D

As for the topic at hand, I am currently updating to 4.2 as we speak. After seeing it in action on a friend's Wii, timed with mine, it seems slightly speedier when loading channels. We timed it, just to make sure it wasn't the placebo effect. The bar is currently frozen, has been for a couple of minutes, but that pretty mundane for my Wii so I'm not to worried. Still, there is a risk of bricking, but I am willing to face that risk! :lol

Top Bottom