• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

celebi23

So, I wake up this morning & you know what I find? My 12 year old sister starting the 4.2 update >_< Longest couple of minutes of my life. Luckily, everything is working fine. Still have homebrew as I used the latest version of Hackmii to update the HBC yesterday. Gonna try out the Wii64 beta 1 as a celebration :lol

Mithos

celebi23 said:
So, I wake up this morning & you know what I find? My 12 year old sister starting the 4.2 update >_< Longest couple of minutes of my life. Luckily, everything is working fine. Still have homebrew as I used the latest version of Hackmii to update the HBC yesterday. Gonna try out the Wii64 beta 1 as a celebration :lol

If you wanna stop you "younger" siblings from updating, activate Parental-Controls, and they would need to enter a code/key to be able to update.

Link1110

A Twisty Fluken said:
How is a situation where frustrated pirates give up on hacking not a great thing?
He didn't say give up on piracy altogether, he said HOMEBREW. If he said piracy there, there wouldn't be any red flags.

What this update has also done is broken half of the tutorials out there for installing piracy apps. So many of them go and package everything into one neat package, which is now completely obsolete and a recipe for disaster. Couple that with the fact that nobody bothers updating them and you just found a bunch of casual pirate wannabes trying out the tutorials, having them failing dismally and then giving up on homebrew entirely (which is a great thing).

celebi23

Mithos said:
If you wanna stop you "younger" siblings from updating, activate Parental-Controls, and they would need to enter a code/key to be able to update.

what's with the quotes around younger? She was about to play guitar hero, saw a message (from Nintendo) in the message box thing about the update & hit the update button. I'll keep parental controls option in mind though.

Mithos

celebi23 said:
what's with the quotes around younger? She was about to play guitar hero, saw a message (from Nintendo) in the message box thing about the update & hit the update button. I'll keep parental controls option in mind though.

I didn't mean that I don't believe you when you say your younger sister updated, but I don't think I have ever seen someone say "I" accidentally updated, it is always, "younger" siblings or someone else that updated.

So if i offended you, I'm sorry about that.

Anyways activating the Parental Controls on WiiConnect24 will be a good idea for everyone that don't want their Wii accidentally updated.

Clipper

Link1110 said:
He didn't say give up on piracy altogether, he said HOMEBREW. If he said piracy there, there wouldn't be any red flags.
Two things:

1: You are seriously twisting my words there. Nobody else read that with the same connotation as you.

2: Even if you do take the most literal interpretation of my statement, most pirate wannabes that find and follow these obsolete tutorials do not care for legitimate homebrew apps in the slightest. They twist the word 'homebrew' exactly the same way as they twist the word 'backup'. Hence, good riddance to them.

On a related note, one thing I have to applaud is what the HBC guys did in the new release. If you have needlessly applied piracy-based patches to the IOS that HBC runs off, then it displays upside-down. It's funny seeing the pirates on other forums complaining about 'bugs' until they get put in their place.

celebi23

Mithos said:
I didn't mean that I don't believe you when you say your younger sister updated, but I don't think I have ever seen someone say "I" accidentally updated, it is always, "younger" siblings or someone else that updated.

So if i offended you, I'm sorry about that.

Anyways activating the Parental Controls on WiiConnect24 will be a good idea for everyone that don't want their Wii accidentally updated.

No worries :D It's all good :lol Needless to say, my sister has her Guitar Hero/ Wii privileges taken away from her for a bit :lol Living at home for the summer & have 1 more semester of college left so things are getting kinda interesting thanks to my living at home again, namely shit like what happened this morning. Thanks for the suggestion, I did set up the Parental Controls thing. Don't worry, you didn't offend me. I've got a 12 year old sister with the mouth of a sailor (far worse than mine or a decent amount of GAF for that matter) :lol

Taker666

VOOK said:
Hang on pirated games play upside down? :lol Hilarious

That's the sort of thing I'd like to see the homebrew community doing more of. It makes them seem more legitimate.

If they really don't agree with piracy ...then they should do everything they can to mess things up for those pirating software.

zigg

Starwolf_UK said:
I don't know about a great deal about ECC and if it is required but my guess is just the ECC not updating is not able to cause a brick on its own because the system might not require it to boot for some reason. But it not updating will cause a brick if the Wii needed to use the ECC it to boot.

The really simple version is that ECC is extra bits that can be used to get a good, error-free read even if some of the data is errored somehow.

All forms of storage—Flash, disk, whatever—have a certain tolerable amount of errors. Makes them cheaper since they don't have to junk so much in manufacturing. Using various strategies like bad block remapping and ECC, they then present a certain amount of reliable storage to the rest of the system.

As I understand it, the Nintendo update code wasn't doing ECC properly. So if your boot2 area had errors, the update was more likely to fail than with code that did write out the ECC bits properly. So, if there was some problem reading that area back, boot2 would come back corrupted.

celebi23

VOOK said:
Hang on pirated games play upside down? :lol Hilarious
That shit is awesome :lol Just an unrelated question though, what's the largest SDHC card that the Wii will recognize? Is it 32GB or 64GB? Can't remember. Need to pick up a new one soon. Running out of room thanks to WiiWare:lol

Mithos

celebi23 said:
That shit is awesome :lol Just an unrelated question though, what's the largest SDHC card that the Wii will recognize? Is it 32GB or 64GB? Can't remember. Need to pick up a new one soon. Running out of room thanks to WiiWare:lol

SDHC is 4-32GB size and Wii can take 32GB max size.

Edit:
The 32GB+ sizes is called Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (Link: SDXC), and can handle 32GB -> 2048GB (Wii do not support this)

linkboy

Mithos said:
SDHC is 4-32GB size and Wii can take 32GB max size.

I think the 32GB+ sizes is called Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC), and can handle 32GB -> 2048GB (Wii do not support this)

A 2048GB SD card, god I would love to get my hands on that.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Clipper said:
Not the games, just the HBC itself. Still hilarious though.

How does that work? What like modchips cause it to happen? :/ Cause I have one of those, I got it before HBCing was easy.

Mithos

VOOK said:
How does that work? What like modchips cause it to happen? :/ Cause I have one of those, I got it before HBCing was easy.

I'd guess that HBC v1.0.5 checks the IOS it is running on for Signingbug (Trucha), and if the bug is present, HBC flips the picture upsidedown.

donny2112

I am at 4.0 and just used the HackMii Installer v0.5 to install BootMii to boot2. I then went in and changed the .ini file for bootmii to go to the system menu with a 5 second delay. After restarting the Wii, it gives no video out for about 75 seconds before booting to the System Menu. I never see a menu to backup my NAND.

With the SDHC card out, it waits about a second before switching to booting up the system menu.

Any idea what's wrong?

donny2112 said:
I am at 4.0 and just used the HackMii Installer v0.5 to install BootMii to boot2. I then went in and changed the .ini file for bootmii to go to the system menu with a 5 second delay. After restarting the Wii, it gives no video out for about 75 seconds before booting to the System Menu. I never see a menu to backup my NAND.

With the SDHC card out, it waits about a second before switching to booting up the system menu.

Any idea what's wrong?
Do you know if Bootmii worked before you edited the .ini file? If the answer is it did work ignore the below.

I'd guess that the card is not compatible with Bootmii. Copy the Bootmii folder to a different SD card then try it.

Speaking of Homebrew channel. How does it determine which IOS it uses?

bh7812

Banned
Mejilan said:
What would wanting to play Muramasa, SMB, and PO have to do with whether your Wii's hacked or not? You can play all of those with a hacked Wii just as much as with a virgin one. Well, not SMB, if you mean NSMB, seeing as that's not out yet.

I did mean NSMB, sorry bout that :)

The only reason I was thinking of going back to ofw for those games is, doesn't your Wii need to be at 4.1 to play those games or can I get by with 3.2? Mine is still at 3.2 so if I can play all of those without updating anything then I'll just leave it be :)

donny2112

Starwolf_UK said:
Do you know if Bootmii worked before you edited the .ini file?

It just sat there forever before I edited the .ini file. That's why I edited it. :)

I'll try a different SD card.

Edit:
Tried a regular SD card, and it worked. Has anyone tried backing up their NAND with an SDHC card?

D.Lo

Mithos said:
I'd guess that HBC v1.0.5 checks the IOS it is running on for Signingbug (Trucha), and if the bug is present, HBC flips the picture upsidedown.
But doesn't a bunch of other homebrew stuff run on the Trucha bug? Like USB loader forwarder channels etc?

I also find it a bit bizarre that emulators are considered okay (and are downloadable from the Homebrew browser), but pirating VC games is considered piracy. The result is identical as far as I'm concerned. If you're one of those people that feel you are allowed to play Castlevania via emulation for free 'because I own the original cart', what's the difference pirating the VC version? These 'lines in the sand' drawn by some homebrewers annoy me.

donny2112

donny2112 said:
Edit:
Tried a regular SD card, and it worked. Has anyone tried backing up their NAND with an SDHC card?

More info. If I have no SD card in, it goes to system menu. If I have an SDHC card in even if it doesn't have a bootmii directory it takes the 75 seconds to load. I'm just going to have to uninstall BootMii (or go back to using a regular SD card) until this is fixed. :(

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Quick question.

After updating bootmii, should I backup my Nand again? Is there any benefit of doing so?

OnPoint

Question: if your Wii had HBC on it once, and you removed it, will 4.2 recognize your system as modded?

I removed any trace of soft-modding when Excitebots came out, as the game wouldn't play with it, and haven't gone back since. I know I've updated since.

HUELEN10

OnPoint said:
Question: if your Wii had HBC on it once, and you removed it, will 4.2 recognize your system as modded?

I removed any trace of soft-modding when Excitebots came out, as the game wouldn't play with it, and haven't gone back since. I know I've updated since.
If all non-nintendo tickets, HBC for example, were removed, and the system was formatted, it should be "virgin" as far as 4.2 goes.
CreatureX3 said:
Updated to 4.2 with no problems. Non-story for non-pirates.
Sigh...

There's a reason we have the thread title the way it is.

Speevy

Banned
CreatureX3 said:
Updated to 4.2 with no problems. Non-story for non-pirates.

Well the thread title originated from non-pirates losing their consoles.

And Clipper has been pretty adamant about pirates not being welcome anyway.

Mithos said:
I use trucha for non-piracy purposes and new HBC displayed right side up for me. So it's probably not that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
D.Lo said:
I also find it a bit bizarre that emulators are considered okay (and are downloadable from the Homebrew browser), but pirating VC games is considered piracy. The result is identical as far as I'm concerned. If you're one of those people that feel you are allowed to play Castlevania via emulation for free 'because I own the original cart', what's the difference pirating the VC version? These 'lines in the sand' drawn by some homebrewers annoy me.

What's so bizarre about it?

You are permitted to format-shift. You are not permitted to play any game you want for free.

Is that really a line in the sand?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Re-posting this because I got stuck at the end of the last page:

DRock said:
Quick question.

After updating bootmii, should I backup my Nand again? Is there any benefit of doing so?

DRock said:
Re-posting this because I got stuck at the end of the last page:

It's a good idea if you've bought games from the Shop, played games (and therefore have save files). It's a backup, it should be done with some regularity.

Blizzard

Banned
A friend said that Nintendo has announced they will repair for free any Wii that broke during firmware updates if no trace of HBC is found. Can anyone verify that announcement? (I didn't try searching the Nintendo forums or whatever)

Mithos

A Twisty Fluken said:
I use trucha for non-piracy purposes and new HBC displayed right side up for me. So it's probably not that.

Installed ios61 with signingbug (Trusha) and the screen flipped (just tested).

Taker666 said:
That's the sort of thing I'd like to see the homebrew community doing more of. It makes them seem more legitimate.

If they really don't agree with piracy ...then they should do everything they can to mess things up for those pirating software.
This! nice one!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I do regular backups of my NAND now.. Good to have that security. So what exactly is on the NAND... Official firmware, home brew channel... What about VC games, Wiiware, save games and such.. Is that part of the actual backup? Just curious.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nabs said:
it's your entire wii system memory. all 528mb of it. that includes saves, vc/ww, homebrew...
Nice that is very good to know that it's all there.

Is the file size of the backup fixed? Ie. the entire memory regardless of what you have on there?

D.Lo said:
If you're one of those people that feel you are allowed to play Castlevania via emulation for free 'because I own the original cart', what's the difference pirating the VC version?
The VC version uses an internally written and closed-source emulator. So even if the "I've go the original cart" holds up in court for the game itself you would still be breaching copyright (is that the right word?) by using the emulator and enclosure (the e-manual and the channel).

The homebrew emulator (FECUltra) is open source.

Clipper

OK, here we go (why do you guys always ask so many questions when I'm asleep?):

bh7812 said:
I did mean NSMB, sorry bout that :)

The only reason I was thinking of going back to ofw for those games is, doesn't your Wii need to be at 4.1 to play those games or can I get by with 3.2? Mine is still at 3.2 so if I can play all of those without updating anything then I'll just leave it be :)
Games CANNOT request a specific firmware. They can request a specific IOS, and that is all they have installed for the last few months. No game has actually updated the firmware in a long time now. Perhaps Nintendo was sick of people semi-bricking their Wiis using updates from import games or something.

Then again, they can also change back to the old method and start releasing the updates, but then you can use Gecko OS, USB Loader or Preloader to ignore the update partition and play the game just fine.
donny2112 said:
It just sat there forever before I edited the .ini file. That's why I edited it. :)

I'll try a different SD card.

Edit:
You might be able to backup to the SDHC card starting it from the SD. You are asked to insert a different card for the actual backup step.

Also, to try to get BootMii to recognise your SDHC card so that it doesn't stall, try reformatting it (to FAT32).
DRock said:
Quick question.

Yes, and not only to get a more recent backup of your saves. According to the update notes, there are some bugs in BootMii v3 backup files that may make BootMii refuse to restore them. BootMii v4 (the latest) fixes that problem.
OnPoint said:

How did you remove all trace? That is VERY difficult to do. In any case, 4.2 doesn't know if your system is modded or not. It makes all the changes regardless of your system being in a hacked state or clean.
A Twisty Fluken said:
Quick note: the VC insertion you mentioned earlier IS piracy (see the last of these responses).

Also, the trucha bug needs to be in the IOS that HBC uses to run. To find out what that is, just push Home while in HBC. For me it's IOS61.
Blizzard said:
A friend said that Nintendo has announced they will repair for free any Wii that broke during firmware updates if no trace of HBC is found. Can anyone verify that announcement? (I didn't try searching the Nintendo forums or whatever)
It wasn't an announcement as much as a forum post, but yes. If you have a clean system and 4.2 bricked your Wii, they will repair/replace it.
Wario64 said:
Does the new HBC 1.0.5 break any channel forwarding stuff since it uses a new titleID or whatever?
Yes. Several poorly implemented "return to loader" functions in many apps (e.g., USB Loader GX apparently). Not surprisingly, Configurable USB Loader worked perfectly without any updates being necessary ;).
BocoDragon said:
Nice that is very good to know that it's all there.

Is the file size of the backup fixed? Ie. the entire memory regardless of what you have on there?
Yep. It's just a raw dump of the contents. No compression.
Starwolf_UK said:
The VC version uses an internally written and closed-source emulator. So even if the "I've go the original cart" holds up in court for the game itself you would still be breaching copyright (is that the right word?) by using the emulator and enclosure (the e-manual and the channel).

The homebrew emulator (FECUltra) is open source.
Yes, this is correct. Injecting VC games to play them on the Wii is still piracy as you are unofficially using Nintendo's emulators and so forth. The other emulators that just work as pure homebrew are much less sinister. In some places, it would be legally OK to use the normal emulators if you format shifted your own cartridges, but most people just download anyway.

Most people find it morally acceptable to download games they do own, but it is a really grey area legally. It also depends where you come from. USB Loading is a similar grey area. Format shifting is perfectly legal in the US for archival purposes (which USB Loading would fall under as long as you rip your own discs), but copyright law in Australia only permits format shifting of music.

Clipper said:
Yes, this is correct. Injecting VC games to play them on the Wii is still piracy as you are unofficially using Nintendo's emulators and so forth. The other emulators that just work as pure homebrew are much less sinister. In some places, it would be legally OK to use the normal emulators if you format shifted your own cartridges, but most people just download anyway.

Interesting. I guess I always figured: I bought the game, dumped the game, bought the VC game that I injected into, and didn't pull down any other copyrighted material to make it work. So the violation comes from using the code inside the VC game that I bought in an unauthorized manner?

Anyway, certainly not advocating unethical behavior.

D.Lo

Stumpokapow said:
What's so bizarre about it?

You are permitted to format-shift. You are not permitted to play any game you want for free.

Is that really a line in the sand?
This logic works on, say, PSP, DS etc because you can rip your own games, which is what I do on these platforms. I actually did a format shift myself.

But do you rip your own NES/SNES games? If not, you're not conforming to the format shifting law. So there's no more 'letter of the law' argument there.

So my point is that pirating a VC game you own on cart ultimately achieves the same end as using an emulator with a downloaded rom - illegal activity (of slightly diferrent sorts) to do something you feel is morally okay.

Yet homebrewers seem to think one is okay and the other not. Maybe one is slightly less illegal, VC Piracy is obtaining the game and emulator illegally, emulation it's only the game itself, but honestly the game is the main thing, I see little diferrence.

Anony

no, it's more like, these games are so old already, it's 'okay' to download them

also, it's technically not available on retail shelf, so even if you wanted to buy it, you cant
and second hand/used sales are moot because it's so old, you're not doing anyone any favours (other than eb) when buying those

anyways, i'd love to see some pics of the upside down hbc

Top Bottom