• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Clipper said:
What application were you running to attempt the upgrade? Why were you trying to go to 4.0 of all things? Did you have BootMii installed as boot2 and/or Preloader? Do you have a NAND backup?

If you don't have a NAND backup, then your Wii is pretty much permanently bricked, but answer the the other questions anyway.

Nintendo will repair your Wii (likely via sending you a replacement), but you will most definitely be paying for the repair.
Well, I've accepted that it's permanently bricked and will most likely be sending it to nintendo now. Do you happen to know how much the repair fee will be? I know that normally, out of warranty, it's about $85...

Question for anyone playing different region games on a console...

I have a NTSC Wii. I plan on getting a second Wii for another area of the house, and it will be a black PAL one. I want to know if it will be possible to play my NTSC games via USB Loader on my PAL Wii using a scart cable (need to invest in a new HDTV, so will be using component soon enough anyway)?

Does anyone have any experience of this, or is able to try for me if they have the right set up?

Thanks.

Sagitario

Clipper said:
Online updates.

Ahhh... :O

Q: if my Wii wasn't bricked by the new boot2 update, is it safe to update to 4.2 [not that I will, I already installed BootMii again]? I mean, is it immune to the brick if I update to a new firmware that has the same dangerous boot2 code? Or there's always a chance of bricking?

Clipper

Farore said:
Ahhh... :O

Q: if my Wii wasn't bricked by the new boot2 update, is it safe to update to 4.2 [not that I will, I already installed BootMii again]? I mean, is it immune to the brick if I update to a new firmware that has the same dangerous boot2 code? Or there's always a chance of bricking?
Yes, you are safe. It should not attempt to update boot2 again. At least that's how I understand it. BootMii should actually survive that update.

What will happen is that your cIOSes (222/223/249) will get stubbed out. You will need to reinstall them via the process explained in the tutorial.

Pancakes R Us said:
Question for anyone playing different region games on a console...

I have a NTSC Wii. I plan on getting a second Wii for another area of the house, and it will be a black PAL one. I want to know if it will be possible to play my NTSC games via USB Loader on my PAL Wii using a scart cable (need to invest in a new HDTV, so will be using component soon enough anyway)?

Does anyone have any experience of this, or is able to try for me if they have the right set up?

Thanks.
There have been many reports of this not working (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). It has something to do with the fact that PAL games support SCART whereas NTSC ones support S-Video and they aren't compatible. Looks like you'll need to go composite until you can use components.
PunjabiPlaya said:
Well, I've accepted that it's permanently bricked and will most likely be sending it to nintendo now. Do you happen to know how much the repair fee will be? I know that normally, out of warranty, it's about $85...
I don't know. It'll probably be the standard price, but there have been reports of NoE charging more for homebrew-bricked systems. I don't think NoA is also charging a premium, but they might be.

grkazan12

Hey gaf everything was working fine a few days ago but now whenever I try to load Configurable USB Loader it stays frozen on this screen and I tried my USB in both slots.
4168209318_8d08eef9e5.jpg

Clipper

grkazan12 said:
Hey gaf everything was working fine a few days ago but now whenever I try to load Configurable USB Loader it stays frozen on this screen and I tried my USB in both slots.
Try upgrading to 49b2 or some other version (all versions are available here). There seems to have been something weird in 48.

Also try power cycling the drive (turn it off for a minute or two, then switch it back on)

grkazan12

I tried 49b2 and powering down the drive but it still freezes at the screen and also the wii remote doesn't turn on when it's on that screen.

Clipper

grkazan12 said:
I tried 49b2 and powering down the drive but it still freezes at the screen and also the wii remote doesn't turn on when it's on that screen.
The response you got from GBATemp is definitely a good one. If you updated the Wii recently, it would make Cfg act like that.

snack

I saw a thread on the gbatemp forum realated to NSMW working on a 3.2u wii.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=195341&st=15&gopid=2443114&#entry2443114

Should I follow what they say? I haven't touched my console in almost a year, so I certainly don't wanna brick it. They said something about getting neogamma (it patches the NSMW game) and getting rev 14. Would I still need to patch the NSMW game in order to play it? Also, what is the IOS 249? I keep hearing games sometimes only work on certain IOSs. Does that mean in order to play certain games, I'll have to keep to constantly keep switching my IOSs?

xero273

h4k said:

Should I follow what they say? I haven't touched my console in almost a year, so I certainly don't wanna brick it. They said something about getting neogamma (it patches the NSMW game) and getting rev 14. Would I still need to patch the NSMW game in order to play it? Also, what is the IOS 249? I keep hearing games sometimes only work on certain IOSs. Does that mean in order to play certain games, I'll have to keep to constantly keep switching my IOSs?

ios 249 is mainly used for usb loader

http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios249

Not sure if there is any other function ios249 has.

grkazan12

okay now when I am trying to install ios249, in trucha bug restorer my ios is IOS36(3351). should i just format and start from scratch????

Clipper

grkazan12 said:
okay now when I am trying to install ios249, in trucha bug restorer my ios is IOS36(3351). should i just format and start from scratch????
At what stage are you at? If you are at the second stage of the install (after downgrading IOS15), then you did not follow the instructions correctly. Try again.

h4k said:

DO NOT use guides you find on GBATemp. While there's some good stuff there, many of them are outdated and dangerous, and it is very hard to tell the difference.

The GAF guide gives you everything you could need. You can either install a USB Loader and play the game off a hard drive, or run the stuff to avoid the disc updates. If the disc fails to load using either of those methods, then it is likely you need new IOSes. To get those, just run the Safe 4.2 Updater. If your Wii is not connected to the Internet, there is an alternative I can tell you about.

Again, DO NOT use GBATemp guides without asking here first.

Related to your most recent question, IOS249 does do other things other than USB Loaders. It allows you to run stuff that changes other IOSes and stuff on your Wii. Now, seeing as you are on 3.2, you likely can do all that other stuff without IOS249 anyway, but there is no real harm in having it.

snack

Clipper said:
At what stage are you at? If you are at the second stage of the install (after downgrading IOS15), then you did not follow the instructions correctly. Try again.

DO NOT use guides you find on GBATemp. While there's some good stuff there, many of them are outdated and dangerous, and it is very hard to tell the difference.

The GAF guide gives you everything you could need. You can either install a USB Loader and play the game off a hard drive, or run the stuff to avoid the disc updates. If the disc fails to load using either of those methods, then it is likely you need new IOSes. To get those, just run the Safe 4.2 Updater. If your Wii is not connected to the Internet, there is an alternative I can tell you about.

Again, DO NOT use GBATemp guides without asking here first.

Okay, sounds good. Also.. my Wii is softmodded already, I forgot to mention that. If it's possible to still play NSMW on my 3.2U firmware, that would be great seeing that I try to stay away from updating. Thanks for your help. =]

grkazan12

wow you we're so right clipper i forgot to look over some specific details in installing them again, thanks for all the help man

Clipper

h4k said:
I have both Starpatch and Gecko OS installed. Do I need both?
While StartPatch is installed on your Wii, Gecko OS is just an application on the SD card. Either will allow you to block disc updates, however you will need to run Gecko OS every single time you want to play NSMBW if you want to use it.

Clipper

h4k said:
Is it possible to unmod a Wii?
Not really. You can undo most things you have done to it (I'm sure there's a way to do Starfall), but you can't modify your game log entries or all trace of the tickets installed on your system. A Wii System Format will get rid of most of the stuff in one go, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sooo I'm having a few problems booting games that apparently should load. I had to tinker quite a bit with a few titles to make them work, and some stopped working all together.

Is there something I can do to remedy this? I'm thinking reinstalling all the custom IOS' and co as fresh would be the way to go. I think something may have screwed up somewhere, if possible, when merging IOS' in some installers.

Also, despite using the Safe Updater, my Wii still says there's a new update online every time I use the connection setting in the system menu. Is this normal?

EG: MadWorld no longer boots at all in CFG, but boots just fine in WiiFlow. Both are booting the game with the exact same settings, though I had some time ago tinkered heavily with MadWorld in CFG.

It's stuff like this I dont understand.

i mainly just use my modded wii for homebrew and game ripping (for the sake of Dolphin). i saw that NSMB wanted to do an update, so i checked the HBC to see if that had updated, it had, i let it update, then i did the NSMB update and everything is still working just peachy afterwards. ripping a game no problem last night.

that's what i use IOS249 for personally, ripping disks to mess around with in emulation. so it's not JUST for loading games off a USB drive (which i can't honestly be faffed with).

snack

plagiarize said:
i mainly just use my modded wii for homebrew and game ripping (for the sake of Dolphin). i saw that NSMB wanted to do an update, so i checked the HBC to see if that had updated, it had, i let it update, then i did the NSMB update and everything is still working just peachy afterwards. ripping a game no problem last night.

that's what i use IOS249 for personally, ripping disks to mess around with in emulation. so it's not JUST for loading games off a USB drive (which i can't honestly be faffed with).

You can rip games using the Wii? What program is that called?

If I configure my Wii wifi, will the HBC automatically update itself? I haven't touched my Wii in almost a year I am assuming that I'm behind on many of my app versions. Everything I have is probably really out of date. Here's what I have on my TO DO LIST:

- install WADmanager
- install NeoGamma R7
- install cIOS Rev14

Anything else missing in order for me to play NSMB? This looks like it's the best thing on the Wii since SSBB!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cIOS is at rev15 right now, I've never heard of NeoGamma, and WAD Manager I've only ever used playing around with playing rom hacks on the Wii and beyond that there's no non-piracy use AFAICT.

snack

Stumpokapow said:
cIOS is at rev15 right now, I've never heard of NeoGamma, and WAD Manager I've only ever used playing around with playing rom hacks on the Wii and beyond that there's no non-piracy use AFAICT.

Should I install cIOS rev 15 then since it's the newest version? I'm using this guy's tutorial and wanted what you guys thought if it. Does his way look 100% legit to you all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzrZ2Wcmqpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eImaxttXbYY

EDIT: Also.. Is there any need to get Gecko OS if my game (NSMB) has already been patched?

TunaLover

h4k said:
Should I install cIOS rev 15 then since it's the newest version? I'm using this guy's tutorial and wanted what you guys thought if it. Does his way look 100% legit to you all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzrZ2Wcmqpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eImaxttXbYY

EDIT: Also.. Is there any need to get Gecko OS if my game (NSMB) has already been patched?

Yes, you could need WADmanager to install certain IOS and cIOS (when they´re in wad format). It still should be used ONLY by advanced users if you want install system IOS, the best way to keep your Wii up to date is following Clipper´s safe updater though. I think new cIOS releases comes with their own installers, so probably you don´t need WADmanager either.

I don´t understand why you need patch your NSMBW, GeckoOS bypass firmware updates, and let you play games from other regions, and dick around with Ocarina cheats =P

Stumpokapow said:

WAD Manager (WADs in general) is not only piracy at all actually. WADs can be used to setup Wii channels (i.e. SNES emulator, NES Emulator, USB Loader forwarders, USB Loader Channels, etc.) on your Wii dashboard. It is a way of not having to load up the homebrew channel everytime you want to use one of these applications

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MikeE21286 said:
WAD Manager (WADs in general) is not only piracy at all actually. WADs can be used to setup Wii channels (i.e. SNES emulator, NES Emulator, USB Loader forwarders, USB Loader Channels, etc.) on your Wii dashboard. It is a way of not having to load up the homebrew channel everytime you want to use one of these applications

Oh yes, sorry, I hadn't dabbled in fowarding channels because the risks to me always outweighed the benefits. My bad.

snack

TunaLover said:
I think new cIOS releases comes with their own installers, so probably you don´t need WADmanager either.

What cIOS release installer are you referring too? I'm not too sure what you mean by that.

TunaLover

h4k said:
What cIOS release installer are you referring too? I'm not too sure what you mean by that.
249, 202, are embedded in the same .dol, patching an original IOS on the fly. Opposed to have the whole IOS (already patched [cIOS]) in wad format.

Of course you can go both ways, they´re exactly the same.

snack

What's that Wii game ripper I keep hearing about? Anyone know the real name of the application? Is it called USB Loader?

Anony

Somnid said:
Well, obviously it'll just build on the old one, probably try and fix bannerbomb and all the other stuff. Every future FW will, did you think they would just stop? The more important question is if it'll add functionality.
it's nintendo, what do you think

h4k said:
What's that Wii game ripper I keep hearing about? Anyone know the real name of the application? Is it called USB Loader?

Configurable USB Loader. The most useful homebrew app for a console since the great XBMC. There's also USB Loader GX and WiiFlow, both are excellent, but CFG is the one you want.

snack

How is CFG USB Loader different than USB loader? Only difference I noticed was the fact USB Loader had a better layout of cover art.

Hey guys I need some assistance, I have been soft modding my new wii a bit got the homebrew channel running the wii came with 4.0u firmware, I did not update to 4.2 After I got the HMC running I went and rant he Trucha app, then I installed cIOS39 rev09 I think? So heres where the trouble comes, I then was prepping to install priiloader by first patching IOS60 but I try to boot into the app and get nothing but a black screen, man of the other apps do this black screen of death now too. The wii still plays discs and nintendo channels, certain homebrew apps fail to launch properly I guess. Is there a work around here? Should I just update to 4.2? I was really enjoying some of the homebrew apps though and I'd still like to have it if possible. I'm pretty noobish when it comes to this so I dunno what to do, any help would be appreciated.

GeckoOS can be used to boot Japanese Gamecube games, right? Is there a compatibility list anywhere? Would I need a Japanese memory card to save my game?

I'm currently "safley" updating to 4.2, will this wipe my Wii's IOS's clean? can I start installing homebrew from the beginning when 4.2 finishes installing? god damn this is frustrating :S

Clipper

Wow, go to bed early and this happens... OK, guys first things first.

Please click this image if you haven't seen it before. It is the Wiki that the topic refers to.

EatChildren said:
Also, despite using the Safe Updater, my Wii still says there's a new update online every time I use the connection setting in the system menu. Is this normal?

EG: MadWorld no longer boots at all in CFG, but boots just fine in WiiFlow. Both are booting the game with the exact same settings, though I had some time ago tinkered heavily with MadWorld in CFG.

It's stuff like this I dont understand.
Yes, your Wii is detecting the boot2 update has not been performed, so it will always ask you to update.

Madworld should work fine on normal settings and the latest Cfg, but you can get it to run in 480p with "video=ntsc" and "video_patch=all". If your TV can't take 480p, then the default settings should do fine.

h4k said:
You can rip games using the Wii? What program is that called?

If I configure my Wii wifi, will the HBC automatically update itself? I haven't touched my Wii in almost a year I am assuming that I'm behind on many of my app versions. Everything I have is probably really out of date. Here's what I have on my TO DO LIST:

- install WADmanager
- install NeoGamma R7
- install cIOS Rev14

Anything else missing in order for me to play NSMB? This looks like it's the best thing on the Wii since SSBB!
Please click the Mario picture above. It gives you better options for all of these. As for your later question, Youtube is even more dangerous than GBATemp. Many of the older tutorials there still tell you to use cIOScorp, and that will just brick your Wii outright these days.

plagiarize said:

If you had BootMii installed as boot2, it is gone now. You might want to reinstall it.

Anony said:
gecko os doesnt work for nsmbwii unless a new version came out
It does work, it just doesn't disable the update for future runs via the disc channel as it was able to do with all the games before NSMBW.

TunaLover said:
NSMBW comes with a new firmware update?
Yes, it comes with two actually. One is the normal update to 4.1. The second is an update to boot2 which is the dangerous part of the 4.2 update. The risk is very minor, though, and the risk of brivking is equivalent whether you have homebrew on your Wii or not.

nincompoop said:
GeckoOS can be used to boot Japanese Gamecube games, right? Is there a compatibility list anywhere? Would I need a Japanese memory card to save my game?
Yes it boots Japanese GameCube games. I don't know about the memory card thing, but I suspect it probably would want to format the card.

Terrordactyl said:
I'm currently "safley" updating to 4.2, will this wipe my Wii's IOS's clean? can I start installing homebrew from the beginning when 4.2 finishes installing? god damn this is frustrating :S
It will clean your official IOSes, but it won't touch IOS249 or Hermes' IOS222/223.

Ok thanks for that clarification, it failed the first time around currently on attempt number two, hopefully it works as I've bought NSMBW that I really really want to play :D. How do I go about getting the USB loader working after I have 4.2 installed, it's just way too convienient for me not to have it.

Top Bottom