• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If you want to play Japanese Game Cube games, it will format and erase your memory card. You're going to need one just for J games.

Lyte Edge said:
If you want to play Japanese Game Cube games, it will format and erase your memory card. You're going to need one just for J games.
Hmmm... I suppose I could use GCSaver or something to back up my memory card but it might get tiresome having to keep backing stuff up and formatting whenever I want to switch regions.

How about GeckoOS compatability, is it good enough that I can import a random game without having to worry about it not working? (I was looking at getting Kururin Squash from Play-Asia, or Mr Driller Land if I can find it cheap)

nincompoop said:
How about GeckoOS compatability, is it good enough that I can import a random game without having to worry about it not working? (I was looking at getting Kururin Squash from Play-Asia, or Mr Driller Land if I can find it cheap)
In the old days of Gecko OS it would throw disc errors at specific locations in certain games.

For instance in Naruto GNT4 it would always disc read error after the title screen unless you eject the disc, wait for "please insert the disc" to appear on screen and reinsert.

I don't know what it is like nowerdays though but you might have to play a few tricks like the above.

As for Mr.Driller, you're not going to be saving with that. From what I can gather Gamecube memory cards can be formatted in one of two file formats. One which supports unicode characters in filenames which the Japanese system uses and one which supports ASCII names which the US and EU systems use. Most games just used ASCII filenames so there were no saving problems but a few games (Donkey Konga 1-3, Mr.Driller) use Unicode filenames which mean every time a US or EU system plays them it will ask to format due to not being able to create file.

I think the whole "you need separate memory cards" thing is confusion from the fact you need it for hardware* due to Japanese firmware and US/EU firmware using different formats (and so can't read each other). From what I could gather my EU Gamecube formatted a Japanese formatted memory card anyway when playing my first Japanese game on it.

Either way I've never mixed EU/US and Japanese saves on one card (due to having plenty of memory cards so no need) so I'd say back up the saves first, give it a try and see if anything bad happens.

*-Gamecubes with US/Japanese switches installed on them count as this but using a freeloader/action replay disc on either doesn't.

Thanks for the response, it does seem like a bit of a hassle so I think I'll wait and see if the situation improves before I import anything. Play-Asia has Kururin Squash in stock for $10 and I was pretty tempted to bite -_-

As for Mr Driller Land, you sure it doesn't have any unlockable characters or game modes?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clipper said:
Yes, your Wii is detecting the boot2 update has not been performed, so it will always ask you to update.

Madworld should work fine on normal settings and the latest Cfg, but you can get it to run in 480p with "video=ntsc" and "video_patch=all". If your TV can't take 480p, then the default settings should do fine.

It was on default settings, it just wasnt booting for some reason.

That's kinda what im getting at. Games are randomly not booting. I remember ripping Dead Space Extraction was a royal pain as every rip would freeze, despite online searching yeilding few (if any) with the same problem. I ended up having to reformat my Wii partition to get it to work.

snack

I saw a clip on youtube with a person's Wii loading up with a menu that's not the default one. Anyone know what this is? It kinda looked like the R4 menu with 3-4 options to choose from. It looked pretty neat.

Clipper

EatChildren said:
It was on default settings, it just wasnt booting for some reason.

That's kinda what im getting at. Games are randomly not booting. I remember ripping Dead Space Extraction was a royal pain as every rip would freeze, despite online searching yeilding few (if any) with the same problem. I ended up having to reformat my Wii partition to get it to work.
I think this was chalked up to bugs in the IOSes. Try it again with a fully upgraded Cfg Loader and the latest versions of the IOSes (especially IOS222) and you should be fine. Switching to a FAT32 formatted drive may also make things better for you.

h4k said:
I saw a clip on youtube with a person's Wii loading up with a menu that's not the default one. Anyone know what this is? It kinda looked like the R4 menu with 3-4 options to choose from. It looked pretty neat.
It may look neat, but it is very had to do that sort of thing these days without bricking. Stick with the hacks in the GAF Wiki/Guide/Tutorial and you will be safe.

OK I'm getting a really weird error with USBLoader right now.

When using the USBLoader forwarder channel, I get "Error: Couldn't open file! Press any button to reboot Wii..."

OK big deal, I'll just use HBC channel.

But it can't seem to use my theme or want to access the SD card, trying to download a new version of USBLoader just says "ERROR: sd:/is not accessible". I also cannot access my theme (I've grown attached to the Black Cat one, what can I say).

So I manually purge everything and put on 48b. OK it loads alright... but I still cannot access the themes, even though they're still on the SD card, and when I download 49, I reboot and it's giving me the forwarder channel error again...

It also needs me to select manually what drive I want to use instead of automatically loading it.

Even though I've manually put the game covers onto the right area, it isn't loading it.

I'm going to try reformatting the card. I really don't know what's wrong with it. It isn't set to "locked" position or anything either....

Can I just do a backup of the SD card and reload it onto the SD card after formatting and not fuck anything up with bootmii?

Link1110

I have Tales of Graces on the way and I'm trying to prepare. A bit confused.

GeckoOS lets me skip disc updates, right? So if I use that I don't need to use StartPatch to disable the updates (though obviously I'll have to go through GeckoOS every time I play.)

Or do I need to do the StartPatch thing (and StartPatch won't even run for me) in order to skip updates at all? The wiki is a bit vague as to whether GeckoOS skips updates on non-local games.

Link1110 said:
I have Tales of Graces on the way and I'm trying to prepare. A bit confused.

GeckoOS lets me skip disc updates, right? So if I use that I don't need to use StartPatch to disable the updates (though obviously I'll have to go through GeckoOS every time I play.)

Or do I need to do the StartPatch thing (and StartPatch won't even run for me) in order to skip updates at all? The wiki is a bit vague as to whether GeckoOS skips updates on non-local games.

GeckoOS skips all updates.

OK this is all fucked up now.

I can't copy anything back from my backup of the SD card to ANY OTHER SD card because I'm getting an error -36: "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "apps" can't be read or written"

This is crap. No file is locked, and all files are readable and writeable...

OK, so I formatted the card and decided to just reinstall Bootmii onto it. It got the "failed -1" error.

Fucking piece of shit SD card is dead. FUCK YOU PIECE OF SHIT SD CARD. Currently making new NAND backup on new NON SHITTY SD card.

Anony

Clipper said:
Madworld should work fine on normal settings and the latest Cfg, but you can get it to run in 480p with "video=ntsc" and "video_patch=all". If your TV can't take 480p, then the default settings should do fine.

what? madworld doesnt support 480p

Oh god damn it. I just realised... since I have to redownload all my goddamned VC/Wiiware titles... I'm going to get the shitty updated version of Star Fox 64. FUCK.

This is a random question, but what exactly is the deal with having GameCube memory cards and controllers in while installing/updating things? What problems does it cause?

Clipper

peppermints said:
This is a random question, but what exactly is the deal with having GameCube memory cards and controllers in while installing/updating things? What problems does it cause?
The extra peripherals there affect something to do with either the SD card or the network. Some of the function calls the installers make get lost or corrupted due to this problem and the installers typically fail randomly.

Anony said:
so, my monitor that cant support 480i can play it?
if so, it's time to blow the dust off the case and play it
(after exams)
Yes, it should work on your monitor. Just force NTSC (even if your Wii is NTSC) and video_patch = all.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dragona Akehi said:
Oh god damn it. I just realised... since I have to redownload all my goddamned VC/Wiiware titles... I'm going to get the shitty updated version of Star Fox 64. FUCK.
what was this?

edit: nevermind, I googled it. Less sensitive classic controller controls (for the better?) and restored slowdown to the game as found on the original cart.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clipper said:
I think this was chalked up to bugs in the IOSes. Try it again with a fully upgraded Cfg Loader and the latest versions of the IOSes (especially IOS222) and you should be fine. Switching to a FAT32 formatted drive may also make things better for you.

I clearned then formatted the partition again. This is what got DS:E eventually working.

I'm not sure what causes it. It's like the Wii partition, over time, gets corrupted or damaged for some reason. Simply clearing it and putting stuff back on works a treat.

nincompoop said:
Thanks for the response, it does seem like a bit of a hassle so I think I'll wait and see if the situation improves before I import anything. Play-Asia has Kururin Squash in stock for $10 and I was pretty tempted to bite -_-

As for Mr Driller Land, you sure it doesn't have any unlockable characters or game modes?
I'll give Kururin Squash a go at the weekend and tell you how I get on. The only problem I remember having with it is a lot of the text being garbled due to loading the wrong font but that doesn't harm the gameplay.

As for Mr.Driller. A quick look at an FAQ suggests that there are not unlockable modes but there is progress to made with saving (good bought from shop etc).

BocoDragon said:
edit: nevermind, I googled it. Less sensitive classic controller controls (for the better?) and restored slowdown to the game as found on the original cart.
The problem I'm told is it adds too much slowdown so parts which were fine on the cart slow down as well.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Gah, so my wii's drive finally officially died. The shitty part is I just picked up metal slug and didn't have a chance to rip it to my hard drive to use with the USB loader. Anyway, is there a way to rip retail wii discs using a computer, or do I need to replace my drive?

I just got a Wii from a friend that apparently never bothered to update it, so it's still on 2.2. I've read a lot about Bannerbomb and BootMii, and think I can handle that. My question is should I just use Nintendo's updater to update to 4.2, then run the exploit or will that limit my ability to install certain things like being region-free and whatnot?

samratty

Dacvak said:
Gah, so my wii's drive finally officially died. The shitty part is I just picked up metal slug and didn't have a chance to rip it to my hard drive to use with the USB loader. Anyway, is there a way to rip retail wii discs using a computer, or do I need to replace my drive?
Metal Slug doesn't work with USB Loaders anyway.

Only a few odd drives with firmware hacks will rip Wii games. Seems you'll have to call Nintendo.

hokahey

New Shop Channel update. I'm guessing it's safe to update the shop channel in the same way you could previously in accordance with the Home Brew FAQ?

Anony

holy hell
the force progressive works

THANK YOU HOMEBREW, this is a godsend for those of non-interlace monitors

any chance you can force 480p with megaman 9
that would be amazing

mackaveli

can anyone help me play backups of my originals.

I got a wii and have system 4.0 I followed the GAF tutorial and have the homebrew channel installed perfectly following the instructions. I then installed the cIOS 249 rev 15 tutorial. I got the neo gamma launcher r6. I put in a backup of super mario galaxy and get dvd error 972. I read it has something to do with bad burns but I don't think it is as my bro has a wii with HBC 3.2 on it and it runs perfectly. It just doesn't work on my wii.

Bad laser? should i get a different wii from the store since i got it less than 30 days ago?

Am I suppose to install other IOS's other than the cIOS 249 rev 15 to play backups?

thanks.

hokahey said:
New Shop Channel update. I'm guessing it's safe to update the shop channel in the same way you could previously in accordance with the Home Brew FAQ?

Damn it. I finally got around to picking up some points today too.

hokahey

I'm confused as hell.

I'm trying to follow the FAQ to safe update to 4.2. I am currently at 4.1

In order to do so, I apparently first need to install IOS249.

Great.

I follow these steps:

Installation procedure

1. Remove all GameCube memory cards and controllers.
* This step is very important. Do not ignore it .
2. If your Wii is not connected to the Internet, copy all the .wad files to sd:/
3. Unzip the TBR zip file and copy the TBR directory and its contents to sd:/apps.
* You should now have an sd:/apps/TBR/boot.dol file among others.
4. Run Trucha Bug Restorer from the Homebrew Channel.
5. Use Trucha Bug Restorer with default IOS to downgrade IOS15 via the following sub-steps:
1. Push A to allow it to reload the default IOS.
2. Read the message, then push 1 or Start when prompted to continue.
3. Choose "Downgrade IOS15" with the D-pad and push A.
4. If you are connected to the Internet, choose "Download IOS from NUS" with the D-Pad and Push A to select. If not, choose "Load IOS from sd card" with the D-Pad and push A to select.
5. Make the same choice you made in the previous step for the second IOS version needed.
6. When prompted, push A to start step 1.
7. When prompted again, push A to start step 2.
8. Press any button to exit when prompted.
6. Run Trucha Bug Restorer from the Homebrew Channel again.
7. Use Trucha Bug Restorer with IOS15 to install a patched IOS36 as IOS 249 via the following sub-steps:
1. Choose IOS15 for IOS to reload with D-pad left/right and load with A.
2. Wait for the message to push 1 or Start to appear and do so.
3. Ensure the IOS at the top of the screen now states "IOS15 (Rev 257)"
4. Choose "IOS36 menu" with the D-pad and push A.
5. Change "Install IOS to slot" to be 249.
6. Set all three patch options to yes
7. Choose "Install patched IOS36" with the D-pad and push A.
8. If you are connected to the Internet, choose "Download IOS from NUS" with the D-Pad and Push A to select. If not, choose "Load IOS from sd card" with the D-Pad and push A to select. # When prompted, push A to start installation.
9. Press any button to exit when prompted.
8. Run Trucha Bug Restorer from the Homebrew Channel again.
9. Use Trucha Bug Restorer with IOS249 to restore IOS15 via the following sub-steps:
1. Choose IOS249 for IOS to reload with D-pad left/right and load with A.
2. Wait for the message to push 1 or Start to appear and do so.
3. Choose "Restore IOS15" with the D-pad and push A.
4. If you are connected to the Internet, choose "Download IOS from NUS" with the D-Pad and Push A to select. If not, choose "Load IOS from sd card" with the D-Pad and push A to select. # When prompted, push A to start installation.
5. Press any button to exit when prompted.
10. Now follow the remaining Steps needed by all Wiis below choosing IOS249 when a

But when I get to the bolded part, I cannot find IOS249. The closest is IOS250.

Now I'm apparently way behind on updates because I cant even play Sports Resort normally.

Please help

Have done some more reading and it appears that Twilight Princess is my only way I can do it, short of updating to 4.2 through Nintendo which I'm a bit leery about. I'll be getting Twilight Princess within a week or so (when I get paid), but if there's another way to install Homebrew Channel 2.2U, I'm all ears.

Clipper

Odious Tea said:
I just got a Wii from a friend that apparently never bothered to update it, so it's still on 2.2. I've read a lot about Bannerbomb and BootMii, and think I can handle that. My question is should I just use Nintendo's updater to update to 4.2, then run the exploit or will that limit my ability to install certain things like being region-free and whatnot?
You can, and Nintendo should fix it for free if it does brick via the small problem with the update. Everything that's worth doing to your Wii for homebrew is doable on 4.2.

As for installing homebrew, see my note to your other post below.

hokahey said:
Guess not. It's still telling me I need to update. Fuck.
Give it a day or so. The shop channel updater will be updated by then.

Edit: strange, it's not telling me to update. Did you try both update methods?

mackaveli said:
can anyone help me play backups of my originals.

I got a wii and have system 4.0 I followed the GAF tutorial and have the homebrew channel installed perfectly following the instructions. I then installed the cIOS 249 rev 15 tutorial. I got the neo gamma launcher r6. I put in a backup of super mario galaxy and get dvd error 972. I read it has something to do with bad burns but I don't think it is as my bro has a wii with HBC 3.2 on it and it runs perfectly. It just doesn't work on my wii.

Bad laser? should i get a different wii from the store since i got it less than 30 days ago?

Am I suppose to install other IOS's other than the cIOS 249 rev 15 to play backups?

thanks.
Why do you want to play backups off of disc? They destroy your laser.

hokahey said:
I'm confused as hell.

I'm trying to follow the FAQ to safe update to 4.2. I am currently at 4.1

In order to do so, I apparently first need to install IOS249.

Great.

I follow these steps:

But when I get to the bolded part, I cannot find IOS249. The closest is IOS250.

Now I'm apparently way behind on updates because I cant even play Sports Resort normally.

Please help
Redo step 7 again (installing patched IOS36 to the 249 slot). You must have done something wrong.

Odious Tea said:
Have done some more reading and it appears that Twilight Princess is my only way I can do it, short of updating to 4.2 through Nintendo which I'm a bit leery about. I'll be getting Twilight Princess within a week or so (when I get paid), but if there's another way to install Homebrew Channel 2.2U, I'm all ears.
It's a pity you didn't read the title of the thread. Here's all the info you need:

Linkhero1

Odious Tea said:
Bannerbomb can get Homebrew onto your 4.2 Wii. It'd be best if you check out the GAF FAQ before asking. (Linked in picture above)

Psy-Phi

Linkhero1 said:
Bannerbomb can get Homebrew onto your 4.2 Wii. It'd be best if you check out the GAF FAQ before asking. (Linked in picture above)

Using that, would it be possible to install the homebrew that allows you to create images of your own games? I want to try that Wii Emulator out, but I have the latest official Wii Firmware (I guess it's 4.2, I'll ahve to check). Wish I had read about that earlier in the year...really wish that I could just use my discs in my computer with the emu.

I undid the homebrew on my Wii when the ban stuff was coming around half out of paranoia and half because I never used any homebrew apps, and I guess I only did it for the sake of doing it when I didn't care much about the retail titles. But that's changed in the last half of this year. I don't want to pirate any games, so I'd rather make images of the ones I have.

Linkhero1

Psy-Phi said:
Using that, would it be possible to install the homebrew that allows you to create images of your own games? I want to try that Wii Emulator out, but I have the latest official Wii Firmware (I guess it's 4.2, I'll ahve to check). Wish I had read about that earlier in the year...really wish that I could just use my discs in my computer with the emu.

I undid the homebrew on my Wii when the ban stuff was coming around half out of paranoia and half because I never used any homebrew apps, and I guess I only did it for the sake of doing it when I didn't care much about the retail titles. But that's changed in the last half of this year. I don't want to pirate any games, so I'd rather make images of the ones I have.

Well it installs the Homebrew Channel. All you need is an hdd and just rip your games onto the hdd using one of the USBLoaders. There are applications out there that will allow you to extract the iso file off the hdd but I don't know if I can post direct link to them. Check the guide above my post it has almost everything you need to know.

FSLink

Banned
Just jumping in to get some clarification on New Super Mario Bros Wii....Trying to install a USB loader onto my friend's Wii, I believe he's on 4.1, but he's played New Super Mario Bros Wii and most likely updated using NSMBW's update which from my understanding has some IOS's and stuff from 4.2.
It should be safe to install a USB loader onto his Wii, using the instructions on the Wiki, right?

Just need to be 100% sure. :lol

Clipper

FSLink said:
Just jumping in to get some clarification on New Super Mario Bros Wii....Trying to install a USB loader onto my friend's Wii, I believe he's on 4.1, but he's played New Super Mario Bros Wii and most likely updated using NSMBW's update which from my understanding has some IOS's and stuff from 4.2.
It should be safe to install a USB loader onto his Wii, using the instructions on the Wiki, right?

Just need to be 100% sure. :lol
Yes, it's safe, just follow the instructions for whatever his firmware is.

hokahey

Clipper said:
You can, and Nintendo should fix it for free if it does brick via the small problem with the update. Everything that's worth doing to your Wii for homebrew is doable on 4.2.

As for installing homebrew, see my note to your other post below.

Give it a day or so. The shop channel updater will be updated by then.

Edit: strange, it's not telling me to update. Did you try both update methods?

Why do you want to play backups off of disc? They destroy your laser.

Redo step 7 again (installing patched IOS36 to the 249 slot). You must have done something wrong.

It's a pity you didn't read the title of the thread. Here's all the info you need:

I tried both methods. It's still telling me to update. Damn.

I've also redone step 7 with the same result.

Grrrr. This sucks.

Everything went exactly according to the instructions until the part I bolded.

EatChildren

You know what I hate? How USB loaders always seem to 'loop' your library of games. Is there any way to make CFG or something stop doing that?

Most people probably like it that way but I'm a stickler for presentation and I like the idea of my digital library looking like my real one. Plus when I have friends over who feel like playing a game they're almost always intimedated by what seems like 1000's of games, and end up going through my shelf and looking for disks instead.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
EatChildren said:
You know what I hate? How USB loaders always seem to 'loop' your library of games. Is there any way to make CFG or something stop doing that?

Most people probably like it that way but I'm a stickler for presentation and I like the idea of my digital library looking like my real one. Plus when I have friends over who feel like playing a game they're almost always intimedated by what seems like 1000's of games, and end up going through my shelf and looking for disks instead.
Hit down on the d-pad to show your games listed differently.

Clipper said:

It was the first thing I looked it, actually. But, even there it says stuff about 4.2 not being completely safe through the official updater. The only "safe" way to do it require HBC installed, which is pretty much my primary hurdle at this point. Bannerbomb is only functional on 3.x - 4.2. I'm on 2.2. If there's a way to install HBC without Twilight Princess, that's what I came here looking for

I can wait until I pick up Twilight Princess, but I'd rather not. The only thing I can figure is updating it manually to the official 3.x - 4.1, but I haven't found a manner with which to do so.

Thanks.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Odious Tea said:
It was the first thing I looked it, actually. But, even there it says stuff about 4.2 not being completely safe through the official updater. The only "safe" way to do it require HBC installed, which is pretty much my primary hurdle at this point. Bannerbomb is only functional on 3.x - 4.2. I'm on 2.2. If there's a way to install HBC without Twilight Princess, that's what I came here looking for

I can wait until I pick up Twilight Princess, but I'd rather not. The only thing I can figure is updating it manually to the official 3.x - 4.1, but I haven't found a manner with which to do so.

Thanks.
If you don't have any homebrew installed on the Wii right now then updating through Nintendo to 4.2 doesn't really have a risk since if it bricks during the update then Nintendo will help you for free. If you have homebrew on your Wii and you update through Nintendo to 4.2 and it bricks then you will have to pay for the repair/replacement. In my opinion, if you're in the non-homebrew camp currently and don't really want to wait for Zelda then go for it.

Clipper

EatChildren said:

The gridflow modes don't loop. They aren't as snazzy as the coverflow modes, but they still look pretty nice.

Odious Tea said:

Thanks.
I believe the statement of requiring 3.x is just because it was never tested on 2.x systems. It won't brick you, and your Wii will not record anything if it fails, so give it a try. If it doesn't work, you could try the 4.2 upgrade as Nintendo will fix it for free as mentioned by Fuzzy. A ton of games will update you to 3.x too. There is also exploits using Lego Indiana Jones and Super Smash Bros. Brawl if you are getting either of those (but they would both upgrade you anyway).

Oh. I thought I'd read some hub-bub about 4.2 bricking non-HBC'd Wii's as well. I did try Bannerbomb, but all it did was lock up when I clicked on the SD tab. I went through a few of it's other variants and they all froze just the same. I remembered that a friend of mine owns Twilight Princess, so I'll just have him bring it over tomorrow and I'll make liberal use of the GAF wiki.

Shit, I've had my Wii hacked since the early TP exploit days and have it all updated with the newest stuff, and just now, because of this topic, found out about forcing 480p on games. This will make many things much better on my LCD. :lol

Clipper

Odious Tea said:
Oh. I thought I'd read some hub-bub about 4.2 bricking non-HBC'd Wii's as well. I did try Bannerbomb, but all it did was lock up when I clicked on the SD tab. I went through a few of it's other variants and they all froze just the same. I remembered that a friend of mine owns Twilight Princess, so I'll just have him bring it over tomorrow and I'll make liberal use of the GAF wiki.

OK, thanks for confirming that. I'll have to add something about that to the tutorial.

Top Bottom