• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Clipper

Dragona Akehi said:
WBFS managers? As in something not like when USBLoader formats it for you?
Yes, but the information that led me to that conclusion is not 100% conclusive. It could also be the way the drive was formatted before it was formatted to WBFS which leads to the corruption problems.

Clipper said:
Yes, but the information that led me to that conclusion is not 100% conclusive. It could also be the way the drive was formatted before it was formatted to WBFS which leads to the corruption problems.

Goddamn it. I guess I should shift over to FAT... It's going to be a pain reripping everything...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
minus_273 said:
not ready for general public consumption yet, but ah what the heck, im quite proud of this thing right now. We still need to slap on a nicer UI and fix some update and sync issues before this goes out in the wild. Thought you guys might enjoy seeing what in the homebrew pipeline. Also thinking of adding friends list to wii code mapping and live like online notification and messaging functionality in future releases.

I suppose if you think you might use this in the future you should go an secure your username by registering at messageboardchampion.com

Gamercards for the Wii that auto update from the wii's game play logs like PSN cards.

ncard1.jpg

zerocrypto.png

is this being released open source or will we have to go through "messageboardchampion.com"?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clipper said:
How did you format the drive to WBFS in the first place? A lot of people that formatted with WBFS managers are now experiencing game corruption issues just like you. FAT32 does not have these problems.

That must be it. I formatted it to WBFS using the program that was on your wiki some time ago (cant remember if it was still there, not WBFS manager). Used it to create a seperate partition from NTFS. Every since the I've used WBFS manager to reset the partition.

I think I'll go ahead and make it FAT32 now. Does CFG automatically rip the disks to FAT easily? Am I correct in that CFG needs to be set to the m-load IOS or something?

Clipper

EatChildren said:
I think I'll go ahead and make it FAT32 now. Does CFG automatically rip the disks to FAT easily? Am I correct in that CFG needs to be set to the m-load IOS or something?
Yes, Cfg will rip the discs just as easily as before, except it will take a little longer before you can start ripping a disc due to the calculation of remaining disc space, which is slightly longer for FAT32. If you care about how the games are located on the drive (what the filenames and directories are and so on), look into the fat_install_dir option.

It used to be the case that IOS222 was required for FAT32 drives, but that is no longer necessary. IOS249 rev 19 supports FAT partitions as well. So you can either upgrade IOS249 via the upgrading instructions on the Wiki page, add ios=222-mload to config.txt or use the -222 versions of the loader from now on.

In any case, you will probably also have to edit settings.cfg as you have likely saved that you want to use the WBFS partition in there. It can be edited manually (it's just a text file) or you can use the Game Settings tab of the Configurator to make it choose fat1 as the default partition instead.

Dragona Akehi said:
I have a Mac. :p
Hmm... I probably should make it clearer that the instructions do work for Macs. You need to know how to use the command line methods for the Mac, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks so much dude. I'm about to format my partition to FAT32 now. Using the FAT32 Format program mentioned on your wiki, what do I want to set for "Allocated unit size"? It automatically set 32768, but there's one larger at 65536. And I assume I turn off Quick Format.

Hopefully this increases stability. I remember posting in this thread about how my copy of Dead Space: Extraction wouldn't work no matter how many times I ripped it. Turned out to be the drive and was fine once I reformatted. Im tired of doing that.

CO_Andy

EatChildren said:
I thought NTFS didnt support game loading.
Game loading? Is that a special term in the Wii Homebrew dictionary? I have no problems using NTFS in Cfg.

*edit: i see what the term is now

Clipper

CO_Andy said:
Game loading? Is that a special term in the Wii Homebrew dictionary? I have no problems using NTFS in Cfg.
How do you get your games?

EatChildren said:
Thanks so much dude. I'm about to format my partition to FAT32 now. Using the FAT32 Format program mentioned on your wiki, what do I want to set for "Allocated unit size"? It automatically set 32768, but there's one larger at 65536. And I assume I turn off Quick Format.
I'd leave it at the default. Quick Format should actually be OK, but doing a full format is definitely the safest option.

EatChildren

Gracias Clipper. Formatting now.

EatChildren

Just posting another thank-you to Clipper and co. Got the FAT32 partition done and dusted and so far everything seems fine. I hope it remains stable unlike my WBFS partition.

On another note, I was wondering if Nintendo had released any big games since NSMB Wii? I ask because I was thinking about Galaxy 2 and Other M being on the horizon, and the comments made by a HVS employee regarding Nintendo's firmware, stating that there was one coming up that would "ban with HB installed".

I dont doubt Nintendo's vendetta against homebrew will continue, but I wonder if it will be packaged with the next couple of big games.

MattyH

ive not updated my wii in some time but ive got monster hunter tri ordered so i kno im gonna have to update
whats the best way to go about this

EatChildren

MattyH said:
ive not updated my wii in some time but ive got monster hunter tri ordered so i kno im gonna have to update
whats the best way to go about this

Top of the page, and follow Clipper's wiki :p. It will tell you exactly what you need to do to set your Wii up for whatever firmware you have.

As it stands, the Wii is still completely open.

Clipper

Emotions said:
So the only way to force 480p on games that don't support it is to install USBloader?
I think so. I don't think they ever integrated the patch all functionality into Gecko OS or the other disc loaders. You don't necessarily need a hard drive or to install your games, though. You can use the disc launching functionality of Cfg if that is your problem.

EatChildren said:
On another note, I was wondering if Nintendo had released any big games since NSMB Wii? I ask because I was thinking about Galaxy 2 and Other M being on the horizon, and the comments made by a HVS employee regarding Nintendo's firmware, stating that there was one coming up that would "ban with HB installed".
HVS?

Edit: OK, so this is the Conduit guys? I wouldn't trust those comments as he's probably moreso referring to the banning of cheaters, which they are doing.

Wizpig

(wii 3.2e)
(hbc 1.0.6, ios36 v4.18)
A friend of mine is in this situation and he wants to update the classic way: DVD games or even the Wii internet update.
Can he do it without losing the HBC?

Clipper

Wizpig said:
(wii 3.2e)
(hbc 1.0.6, ios36 v4.18)
A friend of mine is in this situation and he wants to update the classic way: DVD games or even the Wii internet update.
Can he do it without losing the HBC?
If that's the most recent HBC, then yes. However, I strongly suggest he follow the boot2v4 part of this update first. That way, the official update becomes perfectly safe./

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just wanted to shout-out my thanks to absolutely everyone involved with the GAF Homebrew Wiki. I just got done with an EXTREMELY convoluted process of bringing back a somewhat neutered Wii that couldn't eject (read: Rock Band Player) into a full-on homebrew-packing usb-loading monster-hunting force of nature. And I couldn't have done it whout the extremely easy to follow steps of the wiki.

If you are computer-savvy enough to, say, format a hard drive, it is seriously idiot-proof.

Many thanks!

Does anyone know of how to get Brawl+ working with a USB Loader, preferably without using the Snapshot method? Last time I tried it, I couldn't find a clear explanation anywhere, but I've seen people saying they've done it before.

It wouldn't matter so much except that the disc drive on my Wii is broken, meaning I can't just use Gecko and my Brawl disc to load the "full" Brawl+.

Stealth Edit: Also, is there an easy way to remove all traces of homebrew from my Wii while retaining things like save files and Wii Shop purchases, in the event I ever do decide to send the Wii into Nintendo to get the disc drive fixed?

EatChildren

LouieGeetoo said:
Stealth Edit: Also, is there an easy way to remove all traces of homebrew from my Wii while retaining things like save files and Wii Shop purchases, in the event I ever do decide to send the Wii into Nintendo to get the disc drive fixed?

From what I recall there is no way to absolutely clear your system of homebrew. You can delete the homebrew channel and all, but somewhere in the system there will be a record keeping of all software installed/removed/used. This will still be there.

And I might be wrong on this, but the only way to remove that is if you happened to install BootMii (or whatever) prior to installng any homebrew, and can thus revert your system back to a time when nothing was installed at all.

Most people who've been using homebrew though cant do that due to having used the HBC before BootMii came to life.

MMKirby

Banned
Question neogaf.

I pirate most Wii games but I want to purchase Mario Galaxy 2, the new zelda and Metroid other M. It's not like my wii will ask me to update to play these right?

Costanza

Banned
MMKirby said:
Question neogaf.

I pirate most Wii games but I want to purchase Mario Galaxy 2, the new zelda and Metroid other M. It's not like my wii will ask me to update to play these right?
you fucking idiot :lol

EatChildren

MMKirby said:
Question neogaf.

Seeya.

MMKirby said:
Question neogaf.

Wow! Goodbye. :lol

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Maybe he has bad English and just likes pirate games?

Repost for new page and because the pirate stole the show:

Does anyone know of how to get Brawl+ working with a USB Loader, preferably without using the Snapshot method? Last time I tried it, I couldn't find a clear explanation anywhere, but I've seen people saying they've done it before.

It wouldn't matter so much except that the disc drive on my Wii is broken, meaning I can't just use Gecko and my Brawl disc to load the "full" Brawl+.

Stealth Edit: Also, is there an easy way to remove all traces of homebrew from my Wii while retaining things like save files and Wii Shop purchases, in the event I ever do decide to send the Wii into Nintendo to get the disc drive fixed? Can I just delete the channels the normal Wii Settings way and then run an update to get rid of BootMii?

Speevy

Banned
The thing is, I don't know what page you'd turn to which would make you think that would be acceptable.

The first post has a piracy warning, the last page has an image with a piracy warning, the title asks you to read the FAQ which has a piracy warning.

FSLink

Banned
LouieGeetoo said:
Repost for new page and because the pirate stole the show:

Stealth Edit: Also, is there an easy way to remove all traces of homebrew from my Wii while retaining things like save files and Wii Shop purchases, in the event I ever do decide to send the Wii into Nintendo to get the disc drive fixed? Can I just delete the channels the normal Wii Settings way and then run an update to get rid of BootMii?
Why not the Snapshot method?
But anyway, making your own gct with the dual gct method works.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, the Configurable USB Loader has a really nice GUI. Seriously. I can't believe it was able to download cover art for my game! How is that even possible zomg.

EDIT: dude kirby wtf :lol

randomwab

I'm just wondering, can I install the Homebrew Channel on a PAL black Wii, or have all recent Wii consoles got something in the hardware to disable it?

EatChildren

Hawkian said:
Man, the Configurable USB Loader has a really nice GUI. Seriously. I can't believe it was able to download cover art for my game! How is that even possible zomg.

EDIT: dude kirby wtf :lol

WiiFlow is probably the nicest looking loader of the lot. Check this out.

I dont think its quite as robust in technical features as CFG though. You cant edit as many game options. Its also no longer updated, though the source code is out so maybe it is via others.

I really with CFG had a nicer interface. I love the straight-to-the-point and robust customisation and tweaking options, as well as how supported it is with updates, but its pretty ugly and basic even at the best of times. Loaders like WiiFlow and GX have extra zazz in the looks department.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
randomwab said:

I'd advice you to edit fast your post and read the gaf wii homebrew wiki if you don't want to lose your avatar and thread posting privileges... ffs, how are you people so dumb and lazy to not even read the fucking thread TITLE?!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EatChildren said:
WiiFlow is probably the nicest looking loader of the lot. Check this out.

I dont think its quite as robust in technical features as CFG though. You cant edit as many game options. Its also no longer updated, though the source code is out so maybe it is via others.

I really with CFG had a nicer interface. I love the straight-to-the-point and robust customisation and tweaking options, as well as how supported it is with updates, but its pretty ugly and basic even at the best of times. Loaders like WiiFlow and GX have extra zazz in the looks department.

Damn that looks insanely good indeed. Does it let you choose IOS per game and automatically grab cover art?

EatChildren

Hawkian said:
Damn that looks insanely good indeed. Does it let you choose IOS per game and automatically grab cover art?

From memory yes and yes, and if I'm wrong about anything its the latter, and instead of 'automatically' doing it you just press "find missing cover art" button and it automatically download its for you. Which is really the same thing.

The download is that it doesnt support NTFS or FAT32 loading, no WBFS, so its useless to me. You can check out the thread on GBA Temp (am I allowed to link it here?) where you can get the latest build from the fans.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EatChildren said:
From memory yes and yes, and if I'm wrong about anything its the latter, and instead of 'automatically' doing it you just press "find missing cover art" button and it automatically download its for you. Which is really the same thing.

The download is that it doesnt support NTFS or FAT32 loading, no WBFS, so its useless to me. You can check out the thread on GBA Temp (am I allowed to link it here?) where you can get the latest build from the fans.

You mean only WBFS? That would be useless to me as well. Why would they do that? :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Clipper are you thinking on adding some sidenote/chapter about Monster Hunter Tri US/PAL?
I see there's nothing about it on the "what's new" page and the search page only puts out a couple of jpn related finds from the forum (which I don't usually follow)..
Playing Online:
IIRC Capcom's server detect USB Loaders and they are even able to patch the online side of the game, and maybe they can ban you? Am I right?
Playing Offline:
I believe the US game works fine under CFG loaded with Hermes 222/223 v4.
Still waiting for my PAL disc to find out, hopefully it's the same.
The games DOES ask to update if you're on 4.0 or 4.1 btw.

Can't believe it's been a whole month since CFG 57a, things are finally slowing down? You guys used to pop out three to four updates per month! :O

Top Bottom