• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Clipper

Dragona Akehi said:
So does anyone know what the "updates" are on the MHTri disc? I'm currently installing it, but the only thing I can imagine they could detect on their end is what System Menu I'm on (currently 4.1).
I believe it to be the same update as NSMB Wii. Thus, it is 4.1 with boot2v4. Those are two separate updates (they will install separately if you are below 4.1 and without boot2v4). The tutorial now has a safe version of the boot2v4 update on this page if you want to avoid that.

Clipper said:
I believe it to be the same update as NSMB Wii. Thus, it is 4.1 with boot2v4. Those are two separate updates (they will install separately if you are below 4.1 and without boot2v4). The tutorial now has a safe version of the boot2v4 update on this page if you want to avoid that.

After this I'll have to reinstall bootmii yes? But then it'll still register as boot2v4?

Dalthien

Dragona Akehi said:
After this I'll have to reinstall bootmii yes? But then it'll still register as boot2v4?
Yeah, you'll have to reinstall bootmii. But once you've done the safe update to boot2v4, any game discs with boot2v4 included won't tell you that you need an update any longer. (Of course, if you are missing an IOS, or have an outdated IOS vs. what the disc contains, then it will still tell you that you need to update the IOS, but you won't have to worry about the boot2v4 updates anymore.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sooo I've gotten a couple of DSI (I think?) error screens today that have me wondering if something somewhere is borked.

Two seperate programs gave me the error. One was trying to load a file from the SD card, the other from my USB. One was the latest media player and trying to load a movie. I had loaded the file before so I knew it worked, but for whatever reason decided it didnt want to in that instance.

What happened on both occasions was the screen went black and there was white text indicating, I think, a DSI error with lines of code.

Should I be worried about this, or is it likely to be app/homebrew instability?

fernoca

A few dumb questions, and one that has been asked a trillion times..but with a twist:
1. Any specific USB cable to connect an HDD to the Wii? is that to avoid connecting and reconnecting the cable I decided to leave one in the Wii and have one handy for the PC (just to disconnect the HDD instead of the cable from the Wii). So I bought a new one, it works fine on the computer (at least fine enough to recognize the HDD), but the Wii just doesn't recognize the HDD not even turns on...yet the default cable I already had, works like a charm. So..any specifications related to the cable?

2. I'm looking around for HDDs to get, in a few months..the thing is, that I want it..white. Any pointers about brand and stuff that works with Configurable USB, for under $100 and white?? ...at least 100GB, currently have 80GB, with the 4 games I own: Metroid Prime Trilogy, Monster Hunter Tri, Excitebots and New Super Mario Bros. Wii) :p

NOTE: Monster Hunter was giving me problems, then I read online that I needed to update an IOS or something..did and worked after that.

EatChildren said:
Sooo I've gotten a couple of DSI (I think?) error screens today that have me wondering if something somewhere is borked.

Two seperate programs gave me the error. One was trying to load a file from the SD card, the other from my USB. One was the latest media player and trying to load a movie. I had loaded the file before so I knew it worked, but for whatever reason decided it didnt want to in that instance.

What happened on both occasions was the screen went black and there was white text indicating, I think, a DSI error with lines of code.

^^This too.
has been happening lately, just by opening the Homebrew Browser. But aside that, no other problems.

Rich!

So, I've tried ripping my copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy onto my USB drive, and uh, it doesn't work properly. I can select the game I want to load, but nothing else - and it's only in veteran mode.

If I have to keep the disc in the wii, I'm not too fussed. It's the only game I've had a problem with so far. :lol

fernoca

Dragona Akehi said:
fernoca: 500GB FreeAgent Go HDD for 99$. It's "silver" but it looks pretty white. Best HDD as far as I know for the Wii.

Cables don't matter, just where you plug in the USB cord to the Wii. It has to be the "outside" one, or USBloader can't detect the HDD.
Awesome HDD and they're offering a dock...till May 2.. :/ ..I'll buy it mid-May. But as long as it works, no problems. Was also considering silver too, just because the stand is silver. (the same way I wanted white..because the Wii is white.. :p)

The thing about the cable is that the regular cable works, but the new cable doesn't..is like not enough energy goes through the new one...or something.

Rich!

fernoca said:
The thing about the cable is that the regular cable works, but the new cable doesn't..is like not enough energy goes through the new one...or something.

I have one USB cable that's fairly thin/cheapo and it doesn't work, but a shorter, more sturdy cable I have does.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The FreeAgent GO is pretty great. I've got ~250GB partitioned for my PC and media stuff, and the other ~250GB for Wii games. With my whole library its maybe only half full.

Clipper

EatChildren said:

DSI's are the Wii's version of a BSOD. It's just a crash and there is no real danger to them, unless they occurred in an app that was doing nasty stuff on your Wii. If you copy down or photograph the numbers in the stack dump section of the trace and send them to the developers, they will have a much easier time finding the bug that caused the crash.

richisawesome said:
So, I've tried ripping my copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy onto my USB drive, and uh, it doesn't work properly. I can select the game I want to load, but nothing else - and it's only in veteran mode.

If I have to keep the disc in the wii, I'm not too fussed. It's the only game I've had a problem with so far. :lol
You can only launch the games on MPT via the alt dol method and they will be stuck to the Veteran difficulty and first save slot. For now, it's the only way to play them from USB. It's probably best to continue using the disc.

Clipper said:
You can only launch the games on MPT via the alt dol method and they will be stuck to the Veteran difficulty and first save slot. For now, it's the only way to play them from USB. It's probably best to continue using the disc.
Wait, so my Metroid Prime hypermode game save automatically switched to veteran when I started using the USB Loader?

fernoca

On Metroid Prime Trilogy...
One thing that worked for me..well, at least for now..no problems ..yet..
Was when choosing the Alt Dol, I choose the game to play..and it takes me directly to the last save.

Don't know if it works always..for the entire game..but for the few hours here and there that I play it, it works.

Clipper said:
Likely, yes.
*Checks save file* FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Will I be able to start a new game in hypermode if I delete the save file or do I have to beat the game in veteran again? Also can you force hypermode by patching the .dols or using an ocarina cheat or something?

Rich!

nincompoop said:

Will I be able to start a new game in hypermode if I delete the save file or do I have to beat the game in veteran again? Also can you force hypermode by patching the .dols or using an ocarina cheat or something?

Veteran only unless you load from disc, unfortunately.

Clipper

nincompoop said:

I think I remember hearing of an Ocarina cheat that will enable different difficulty settings, but can't really tell you how to find it.

richisawesome said:
Veteran only unless you load from disc, unfortunately.
Yeah I got that, but I need to know if deleting my MP1 save file would allow me to start a new game in hypermode and keep all my logbook scans from my first playthrough, or if it would erase my logbook and force me to unlock hypermode again.

Clipper said:
I think I remember hearing of an Ocarina cheat that will enable different difficulty settings, but can't really tell you how to find it.
Thanks, I downloaded the cheats using the Ocarina Cheat Manager in CUSB Loader and it lists a difficulty modifier for all three games, but there doesn't appear to be a way to activate it from the cheat manager, the text is grayed out and the check box has an E in it and the cheat description says 0= normal 1= veteran 2= hypermode, how do I enable this cheat?

Clipper

nincompoop said:
Thanks, I downloaded the cheats using the Ocarina Cheat Manager in CUSB Loader and it lists a difficulty modifier for all three games, but there doesn't appear to be a way to activate it from the cheat manager, the text is grayed out and the check box has an E in it and the cheat description says 0= normal 1= veteran 2= hypermode, how do I enable this cheat?
Cfg doesn't support the editable codes. You can edit the text file yourself to replace the X in the code with the needed value and then you will probably be able to select it, or use a proper code manager to create the necessary .gct file and Cfg should be able to see it.

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm thinking about upgrading my Wii to the latest firmware in order to use startpatch (since it doesn't work on my 4.0J firmware for whatever reason) so I can transfer copy-protected save files.

Should I just do the official update from 4.0J-> 4.latest-J and then do whatever hacks are needed to get the HBC back running again? Or should I follow some hacked upgrade method?

OK so this is odd.

I was trying out MHTri on USBLoader to see if it improved the loadtimes, but after selecting "begin game", the game crashed to a black screen with a buzzing noise. Any ideas what that's about? I fully updated to 4.2 using the safe updating method as per the Wiki, and have no problems playing from disc.

I'm on the latest non-alpha version of CFG too.

In the meantime I'll just keep playing from disc, of course. But just wondering if anyone knows what's happening here.

Edit: apparently I'm just retarded and hadn't noticed it was loading it via 249. Putting it to 222 fixed the problem.

Clipper

Bebpo said:
So I'm thinking about upgrading my Wii to the latest firmware in order to use startpatch (since it doesn't work on my 4.0J firmware for whatever reason) so I can transfer copy-protected save files.

Should I just do the official update from 4.0J-> 4.latest-J and then do whatever hacks are needed to get the HBC back running again? Or should I follow some hacked upgrade method?
Do the stuff here. You can just do the boot2v4 method from those instructions and then do an official upgrade if you like. The only difference there is that you will need to reinstall IOS249 and IOS222 afterwards (using IOS250 as described in the upgrading IOS249 section).

Bebpo

Banned
Clipper said:
Do the stuff here. You can just do the boot2v4 method from those instructions and then do an official upgrade if you like. The only difference there is that you will need to reinstall IOS249 and IOS222 afterwards (using IOS250 as described in the upgrading IOS249 section).

Thanks, think I will try that now.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmm, the warnings say I better have bootmii installed just in case. I've never used/installed bootmii or preloader before, guess I will do that now.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmm, I think the v57b that was put up for download via the network is actually v57a.
At least, that's what Cfg reports itself as after two attempts to update to it via the network.

EatChildren

Clipper said:
DSI's are the Wii's version of a BSOD. It's just a crash and there is no real danger to them, unless they occurred in an app that was doing nasty stuff on your Wii. If you copy down or photograph the numbers in the stack dump section of the trace and send them to the developers, they will have a much easier time finding the bug that caused the crash.

Cool beans. I'll get a shot next time it happens and send the developers a message. The media player one is the hardest to grab as it automatically reboots after 8 seconds :p.

Bebpo

Banned
wow, bootmii is kind of cool! Backing up wii now :eek:

Then gonna do bootv2 & 4.2J upgrade and startpatch and hopefully everything works and I can copy my saves :D

Clipper

Mejilan said:
Hmm, I think the v57b that was put up for download via the network is actually v57a.
At least, that's what Cfg reports itself as after two attempts to update to it via the network.
Yeah, I didn't do a 'make clean' before compiling 57b, so it didn't change the version string. However, it does have the 57b features. Having said that, the only new features are warnings if you haven't installed IOSes correctly...

Mejilan

Works for me. Thanks for the confirmation that I wasn't screwing something up.
I did try via Configurator as well, and when the results were the same, I realized it was network-side.

Imported 3 new games from the EU. They'll be the first Wii imports I install!

Bebpo

Banned
Success! I am on 4.2J and have bootmii running on boot2 with a backup of the Wii NAND.
Now just gotta do startpatch.

If I want to change my region to 4.2U to buy and play stuff off the US store, what is the best program for that?

Clipper

Bebpo said:
If I want to change my region to 4.2U to buy and play stuff off the US store, what is the best program for that?
Don't do it. Seriously. You are asking for a brick. You will also lose any points and all rights on any existing shop account you have. It is not worth the massive risk.

Bebpo

Banned
I installed startpatch and installed a few patches. Everything was going fine but when I went to data management -> save data -> wii and tried to delete a save game it froze. So I had to do a hard reset.

Now the wii works fine but if I go data management -> save data, the second I click on Wii to manage my Wii saves it freezes the system. This happens everytime so now I can't access my save games at all.

Do I need to do a system restore from bootmii? Or is there another way to fix this?

*edit: restoring, hopefully this fixes it. Otherwise i can't manage my saves unless I buy a new Wii >_< Man, good thing I installed bootmii for the first time today. If I hadn't I'd just be 100% screwed right now. I wonder why the system freaked out when I simply tried to delete a save through the save manager :(

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, that worked. So I guess my next question is how do I install a data.bin copy-protected save? I want to install the Nights clear save so I can just do the Nights stages and skip all the other bs stuff in the game. But the only clear saves here: http://www.wiisave.com/index.php?cid=243 are in data.bin form.

I patched the no-copy-protection for saves from startpatch.

If I put the data.bin from that site on the SD card under wii/private/etc... and try to copy it, it won't work because it says the file already exists. But if I try to delete the version on the wii hard drive it hard freezes my wii and semi-bricks it and I have to use bootmii restore to fix it.

I'm not sure how to get the data.bin file to work with savegame manager.

Clipper

Bebpo said:
Ok, that worked. So I guess my next question is how do I install a data.bin copy-protected save? I want to install the Nights clear save so I can just do the Nights stages and skip all the other bs stuff in the game. But the only clear saves here: http://www.wiisave.com/index.php?cid=243 are in data.bin form.

I patched the no-copy-protection for saves from startpatch.

If I put the data.bin from that site on the SD card under wii/private/etc... and try to copy it, it won't work because it says the file already exists. But if I try to delete the version on the wii hard drive it hard freezes my wii and semi-bricks it and I have to use bootmii restore to fix it.

I'm not sure how to get the data.bin file to work with savegame manager.

Try deleting the save without anything patched in StartPatch. The Wii should let you do that using its own tools. Then try copying the save over from the SD. I really don't know if that'll work, though, I haven't done much save stuff.

Clipper

Sorry to double post, but I realised I probably should get this on out there...

With all its many options, the Configurator app to configure Cfg now takes a few seconds to load. It doesn't look like I'll be able to reduce that, so instead, I'm adding a splash screen. Does anybody want to make an image for it or have any ideas that might be interesting? I'm really not the artistic type, so it would be great if someone could help out.

On that point, I want to change the theme on the GWHT too. ANy body want to give that a go?

insin

Neo Member
I followed the GAF Wiki guide when I set my Wii (4.2, official update) up for Configurable USB Loader at the end of March and I'm currently using cfg56-222.dol.

My Monster Hunter Tri pre-order finally arrived yesterday (5 days after the release date - thanks, Zavvi!) - from reading a few pages back, it should work when loaded with 222 set up as per the Wiki instructions, but all I get is a black screen after it checks for the save file, with the disc slot light flashing on and off.

Have there been IOS updates in the last few weeks which are required to get Monster Hunter running?

Clipper

insin said:
Have there been IOS updates in the last few weeks which are required to get Monster Hunter running?
No. Try installing IOS222 again anyway and ensure you pick 38 merged with 37. Also, check the game options before you launch the game to ensure it has IOS222 selected.

Hey guys. New to the whole CFG thing. I followed the guide to get things installed, got my drive set up, and got my games installed. Now I'm at the stage of actually playing them! I know that some games require tinkering with which IOS is used, but when I went to use 222 for MH Tri I see there are actually two options: 222-mload and 222-yal. Same for 223. Is one of them considered the default for when neither is specified?

Clipper

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hey guys. New to the whole CFG thing. I followed the guide to get things installed, got my drive set up, and got my games installed. Now I'm at the stage of actually playing them! I know that some games require tinkering with which IOS is used, but when I went to use 222 for MH Tri I see there are actually two options: 222-mload and 222-yal. Same for 223. Is one of them considered the default for when neither is specified?
mload is for Hermes' IOS, yal is for a very old type made by kwiirk which is no longer maintained. You always want to choose the mload version.

insin

Neo Member
Tried reinstalling 222 merged appropriately, but same result. "Checking System Memory" then a black screen, with flashing drive slot - one long flash followed by one short flash on loop. Is there any significance to that?

I noticed the flashing doesn't happen loading with 249 (I read about other people having success with 249 based on 37. but no luck there either, so I went back to the installation method the wiki prefers).

I'll just have to remember to take the disc out each time, so little hands can't get at it.

Clipper

insin said:
Tried reinstalling 222 merged appropriately, but same result. "Checking System Memory" then a black screen, with flashing drive slot - one long flash followed by one short flash on loop. Is there any significance to that?

I noticed the flashing doesn't happen loading with 249 (I read about other people having success with 249 based on 37. but no luck there either, so I went back to the installation method the wiki prefers).

I'll just have to remember to take the disc out each time, so little hands can't get at it.
One more thing... Try using v57b-222 of Cfg.

scurker

Did anyone with Homebrew/Netflix actually try installing the update? I plan on using USB to access the disc anyway, but I want to know what the disc is trying to actually update.

I'm on 4.2 using the safe updater, but I'm willing to install the update to see what happens. Worst case I could always fall back to a NAND backup.

Mejilan

Probably just an IOS update. I completely circumvented the update and had no issues installing/loading Netflix via HDD.

mclem

Dragona: Have you had any difficulty online with MHTri, and how are the load times? I'm sorely tempted to install mine on USB Loader too, but I'm terrified about any... repercussions.

JEKKI

I rencently purchased NSMB just now... I tried to load it up with Gecko OS to bypass the update but it gave me a blue screen error of something...

is there any workaround?? I am trying to read the wiki but it is too confusing... does it really want me to take like 6 steps jus to play a game?? Im looking at it and it's like download and install trucha bug -> cios something ->ios249 -> hermes ios 222/223 -> bootmii -> startpatch

I dont understand any of that o_O I only have homebrew channel and the only reason I have and am keeping homebrew is coz I wanna play Fatal Frame!!

Top Bottom