• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Mithos

Vhalyar said:
I have a Wii at 4.3U, so I just tried the LetterBomb method to get started with the homebrew but no red envelope shows up in the message board. Tried to repeat the steps a few times but no dice.(
The red letter should appear a few days back in the messageboard if i remember correct, go there again and switch back one day at a time until you see it.

Vhalyar

Mithos said:
The red letter should appear a few days back in the messageboard if i remember correct, go there again and switch back one day at a time until you see it.
I did check the previous days (up to August 1) every time I did the steps but it's not there. I don't need to do anything special with the card, such as formatting it, do I?

Clipper

Try checking your MAC address and then downloading it again. It sounds like you may have entered it incorrectly. Also, make sure you have your Wii set to the correct date.

Mithos

Vhalyar said:
I did check the previous days (up to August 1) every time I did the steps but it's not there. I don't need to do anything special with the card, such as formatting it, do I?
I redid it just now.

1, Went to the Lettbomb site.
2, Entered my Wii Wi-Fi MAC, choose 4.3u (since that's my version).
3, Pressed Red/blue and downloaded file.
4, unpacked and placed private folder in root of SD, and boot.elf in root of SD.
5, Put the card in my Wii, went to message board.
6, started slowly to move backwards in date, found the red letterbomb yesterday (Mon 9/5).
7, clicked the letter and BAM!!

Vhalyar

Tried it again and it worked. Oops. I waited about 30 seconds on each day and nothing showed up; I decided to go back to today's date before giving up and there was the envelope. Not sure why it didn't show up the first time after half a minute, but at least that's done now. MAC address and date were all properly set from the first try though.

Thanks for making me try one more time :)

Hi,

I have a European Wii with the latest official Firmware (no homebrew yet) and would like to buy some Virtual Console games from the US Shop (and maybe Japan's shop as well) that aren't running in slow motion.

I already searched a bit and found this solution posted in a different topic. However, as it's 3 years old...
I also read somewhere else that the newest shop channel update somehow prevents region switching (that was in an faq from half a year ago).

So before I try anything outdated, I wanted to ask here:

1. Is it possible to buy other regions' VC games? (Which homebrew apps are needed?)
2. Can I use the points already on my Wii to buy those games? If not...
2a. Do I need to buy Point Cards from that specific region or can I use my European Credit Card to buy points on the other Wii Shop?
3. Will I be able to switch back to my old settings without losing my download History, remaining Points or the Club Nintendo connectivity on the European Channel? (and still being able to play the other regions' games)

You don't have to explain in detail how to get Homebrew running etc, the Homebrew tutorial seems simple enough! :)
Thank you for all the work you're putting into this!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Quick and dirty question.

Installed HBC + Bootmii the other day, realise it's not for me.

Just bought Xenoblade.

Do I need to uninstall HBC + Bootmii et all before I play it, or should I be safe to just pop the disc in when I get home?

Clipper

Kontergurke said:
Hi,

I have a European Wii with the latest official Firmware (no homebrew yet) and would like to buy some Virtual Console games from the US Shop (and maybe Japan's shop as well) that aren't running in slow motion.

I already searched a bit and found this solution posted in a different topic. However, as it's 3 years old...
I also read somewhere else that the newest shop channel update somehow prevents region switching (that was in an faq from half a year ago).

So before I try anything outdated, I wanted to ask here:

1. Is it possible to buy other regions' VC games? (Which homebrew apps are needed?)
2. Can I use the points already on my Wii to buy those games? If not...
2a. Do I need to buy Point Cards from that specific region or can I use my European Credit Card to buy points on the other Wii Shop?
3. Will I be able to switch back to my old settings without losing my download History, remaining Points or the Club Nintendo connectivity on the European Channel? (and still being able to play the other regions' games)

You don't have to explain in detail how to get Homebrew running etc, the Homebrew tutorial seems simple enough! :)
Thank you for all the work you're putting into this!
Do not even try this. It's not worth the risks. You would need points cards from the other regions and you would lose all points from your original region too when you switched.

HolyCheck said:
Quick and dirty question.

Installed HBC + Bootmii the other day, realise it's not for me.

Just bought Xenoblade.

Do I need to uninstall HBC + Bootmii et all before I play it, or should I be safe to just pop the disc in when I get home?
What are you asking exactly? The homebrew stuff in the tutorial won't affect any of the normal operations of your Wii, except for updating to newer firmware (which has also always been safe up to now, but you can't be sure in the future).

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Clipper said:
Do not even try this. It's not worth the risks. You would need points cards from the other regions and you would lose all points from your original region too when you switched.

What are you asking exactly? The homebrew stuff in the tutorial won't affect any of the normal operations of your Wii, except for updating to newer firmware (which has also always been safe up to now, but you can't be sure in the future).

sorry! Yeah it was just I read on the back of the xenoblade case "Important: unauthorized (spelt with a Z mind you) technical modifications to your wii console may render this game unplayable"

And I recall early on in the Wii's days (I havent used my wii for about 3 years! (am at the latest update though, 4.3e) that lots of games came out and had forced updates on them when you played them, and these were bricking peoples wii's who had modded them!

So I guess I just want to make sure it's 100% safe to run xenoblade and if it asks me to update.. to do so?

but from what you're saying the bricking stuff doesn't seem to occur with HBC and software mods, only the early days hardware ones it seems..

Clipper

The bricking came because people were upgrading their Wiis with discs from a different region, which is not possible with any of the softmod region free techniques. They also blocked the out-of-region updates early on for the hardware methods too.

There have been some known softmod bricks caused by updating, but these have been due to installing stuff like Preloader, CIOSCrap (actually CIOSCorp, but my name is more apt), and certain versions of Waninkoko's updaters. None of these have ever been in the GWHT wiki.

Basically, anything that fools with the installed Nintendo IOSes could cause bricks on future updates, but that has never been part of the GAF tutorial, except for a few cases in the past where it was necessary, but these IOSes were always returned to normal afterwards as part of the same tutorials.

JimboJones

Hey guys my Wii broke recently and I sent it to Nintendo to get a repair, it was a launch Wii so I wasn't expecting to get a free repair or anything but I got a reply from them saying

"From the technical analysis we have conducted, it appears that your console has been modified by unauthorised means."

"The Wii consumer warranty does not cover "the product if it has been opened, modified, or repaired by any person other than Nintendo"

I have only ever installed the homebrew channel never opened the hardware before. So is it normal to get a response like this?

Cost was £129 too, told them not to bother, kind of a bummer.

Basically they inserted their disc and it found a title ID associated with the homebrew channel (it scans for some other unauthorised things too like pirated VC/WiiWare games) and by their rules that means the repair costs nearly as much as a new Wii irregardless of the task in hand. In other words you should have taken a hammer or high powered magnet to the NAND so they could prove nothing and thus you pay the more normal fee.

You should ask them what it would have cost if it was just a voided warrenty and what warrents them charging more (I'd also bring up the point above if it costs less). You're likely to get a lame excuse and a crappy speach about how its them doing a service for you as they could just refuse it completely like other companies would but if you get an actual human you might get a response. Btw, Id ask for the system back (even if its just a coaster) just so they can waste their money on delivery charges.

Also, what kind of breakage was it?

JimboJones

Starwolf_UK said:
Basically they inserted their disc and it found a title ID associated with the homebrew channel (it scans for some other unauthorised things too like pirated VC/WiiWare games) and by their rules that means the repair costs nearly as much as a new Wii irregardless of the task in hand. In other words you should have taken a hammer or high powered magnet to the NAND so they could prove nothing and thus you pay the more normal fee.

You should ask them what it would have cost if it was just a voided warrenty and what warrents them charging more (I'd also bring up the point above if it costs less). You're likely to get a lame excuse and a crappy speach about how its them doing a service for you as they could just refuse it completely like other companies would but if you get an actual human you might get a response. Btw, Id ask for the system back (even if its just a coaster) just so they can waste their money on delivery charges.

Also, what kind of breakage was it?

Oh, fair enough.

The breakage was just a loud Wii drive that had trouble playing metroid other m and didn't load Xenoblade at all.
Other than that it works fine with other games, just duel layer disk seem to give it problems.

But yeah I asked for them to send it back a few days ago, and I just got the letter today saying how it was modified and such so had to phone them up again and now they are sending me out a repair waiver form.

Clipper

Yeah, that sounds like the standard repair fee for an out of warranty Wii. Your problem does sound like the dual layer issue, which is the only thing they have an infinite length warranty for, but homebrew still voids that.

Glix

Hey guys, desperate for help here...

I get through the IOS236 install with NO ISSUES, following the GAF guide...

but every time I try and install something else (D2x or Hermes) it crashes during

"reloading IOS 236"

I've done this before (now doing it for a Xenofan) and for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I've done the 236 install TWICE. Should I just patch a different IOS?

EDIT - Now its working with no changes... GAH!

Clipper said:
Yeah, that sounds like the standard repair fee for an out of warranty Wii. Your problem does sound like the dual layer issue, which is the only thing they have an infinite length warranty for, but homebrew still voids that.

Wii repair in the US is $75. £129 seems excessive...

FreeMufasa

I've found that with most games I have to install them 2-3x before they work 100% without crashing. Is there a way to fix this?

donny2112

donny2112 said:
Seems to just be Pikmin 2 that's a problem for me. Still waiting on the converter in the mail on that one, though.

Converter came in, and it's working. Yea! StartPatch still freezes, but I think that's doing a Force NTSC behind the scenes, anyways. Used Gecko 1.9.3.1 with Force PAL60 with the converter set to NTSC, and it came through fine. Colors seem a little less vibrant than on the GameCube version (been looking at that recently on another SDTV), and the picture hiccups (slight stutter every once in a while, but considering all the transitions the video is going through, that's not too surprising), but otherwise, it comes through great. Definitely playable.

Thanks for your help, Clipper! :)

Clipper

For the new page (for 50 post people):

FreeMufasa said:
I've found that with most games I have to install them 2-3x before they work 100% without crashing. Is there a way to fix this?
What drive format are you using and are you talking about crashing during the install or in the game?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Dangit.

My Xenoblade disc is giving read errors right out of the box when I try to use config USB loader to rip it to HDD. Anybody else having this problem?

Already tried cleaning the lens with the Nintendo kit, but it didn't help. going to try again...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Htown said:
Dangit.

My Xenoblade disc is giving read errors right out of the box when I try to use config USB loader to rip it to HDD. Anybody else having this problem?

Already tried cleaning the lens with the Nintendo kit, but it didn't help. going to try again...

Xenoblade is a dual-layer disc. Many Wiis, particularly launch Wiis, have trouble with dual-layer discs. There are only a handful of other dual-layer discs including Brawl and I think Metroid Prime Trilogy. It's possible that yours is one of the Wiis with this problem. Nintendo initially had a program to swap out said Wiis for free, but I'm not sure if they still do, particularly not soft-modded Wiis.

Htown

I had a problem with dual layer discs before, but the cleaning kit fixed it last time.

Htown

Alright then.

For those of you who have homebrew'd Wiis and have sent your Wii in for repair, what should I expect and what's the best way to go about making my system Nintendo-ready?

My warranty is long expired.

Clipper

Htown said:
Alright then.

For those of you who have homebrew'd Wiis and have sent your Wii in for repair, what should I expect and what's the best way to go about making my system Nintendo-ready?

My warranty is long expired.
In order to answer that, I need to know what you have installed. If it's only the stuff on the tutorial, then you can try the following:

1. Use Savegame Manager GX or StartPatch to copy all your game saves to SD. It might be worth moving any installed VC and Wiiware there too so you don't have to download it again.
  2. Use Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition to delete or restub any of IOS222-224, IOS236 and IOS247-250 that you have installed. 222, 223, 249 and 250 should be stubbed. 224, 236, 247 and 248 should be deleted.
  3. Delete the forwarder channel using the Wii's Data Management.
  4. If you have used StartPatch, go and disable all the patches you applied and save.
    Use the Hackmii installer (for the HBC and BootMii) to uninstall HBC and BootMii
  5. Perform a Wii Firmware Update
  6. Format your Wii
  7. Copy some of your saves (from games in your region, of course), VC and WiiWare over to the Wii (to make it seem used). It's probably best to play a few other games from disc for a while, including your other dual layer title several times with it hopefully not working.

This will remove as much as possible, but not everything. Stuff like the message board log might retain HBC references, so there are no guarantees that this is enough. I'm not sure whether you have to lose your Wii Shop account if you do a Wii format, but I think it's safe. Read any warnings that it puts up and skip the format if it seems that you'll lose something.

Htown

Anabuhabkuss said:
Woah what happened? Did you lens just give in?
It's looking like it.

Gonna try some other dual layer games before I set up a repair just to make sure.

FreeMufasa

Clipper said:
For the new page (for 50 post people):

What drive format are you using and are you talking about crashing during the install or in the game?

FAT32. I'll install it the first time and when I play it, it crashes very early in the game. Then when I re-install it, the game won't even boot (But it always installs 100% of the time). It takes a few re-installs but finally it works perfectly. I've only started using CFG but it never used to happen earlier. Could it possible be just a crappy harddrive?

Clipper

FreeMufasa said:
FAT32. I'll install it the first time and when I play it, it crashes very early in the game. Then when I re-install it, the game won't even boot (But it always installs 100% of the time). It takes a few re-installs but finally it works perfectly. I've only started using CFG but it never used to happen earlier. Could it possible be just a crappy harddrive?
It could be. Got any other drives that you could test with?

Laekon

Any ideas why TinyLoad is not showing up in the Homebrew channel? I gave it a folder in the apps folder and the 3 files are in there. I used Letterbomb to get the Homebrew channel. The channel starts up fine. In the compressed Tinyloads file there 2 versions of each file so I'm not sure which to use. I've tried both with no luck.

I'm hoping TinyLoads will let me play Xenoblade straight from disc with no problems on a SDTV.

Clipper

Laekon said:
Any ideas why TinyLoad is not showing up in the Homebrew channel? I gave it a folder in the apps folder and the 3 files are in there. I used Letterbomb to get the Homebrew channel. The channel starts up fine. In the compressed Tinyloads file there 2 versions of each file so I'm not sure which to use. I've tried both with no luck.

I'm hoping TinyLoads will let me play Xenoblade straight from disc with no problems on a SDTV.
You use the non-debug one. I can't say why it's not working for you. Perhaps the HBC is having trouble reading the SD card.

Laekon

The SD card has been used on the Wii for awhile so I didn't think the format would be an issue.

On the TinyLoad page linked in the tutorial there is a separate file it says to use with Letterbomb. I used that in the apps folder but should I use the original instead?

Clipper

Laekon said:
The SD card has been used on the Wii for awhile so I didn't think the format would be an issue.

On the TinyLoad page linked in the tutorial there is a separate file it says to use with Letterbomb. I used that in the apps folder but should I use the original instead?
Yes, use the normal one. However, I don't see how that would fail to make it show up in the HBC...

Mr. Wonderful said:
It is in the root of the SD card.
OK, that makes things very weird as it means it is occasionally not reading your SD card correctly. Perhaps consider moving it to the hard drive instead.

This is probably brought up frequently, but I've decided to play games through CFG from this point going forward. What type of external hard drive would you guys recommend? As I understand it, some devices have been having issues with spindowns, non-compatibility, etc.

dani_dc

So I've been ripping my GC games with the idea of playing them with Dolphin.
I would like to be able to copy my saved games over from the memory card as well.

Is there any program that would allow me to back up my saves from my GC memory card to my HDD?

Clipper

It's really hard to give recommendations as it's quite random. Tips are to stay away from USB 3.0 drives and drives that have in-built encryption by default. Also, hubs are a big no-no.

As for the GC question, I don't know, sorry. You'd probably be best off asking in the Dolphin thread.

Disguises

I've recently changed my HDD from WBFS to FAT32. I've read the wiki and apparently it's fine to just copy the game.wbfs from my PC straight back to the newly formatted hard drive and it will work? No need to convert to ISO or something? Thanks for the help.

rpgb46

Clipper said:
If anybody noticed that you were using the star hack and reported you to Nintendo, then your console could have been banned. Why would you go online with that code? You could test it out in offline play without ruining anyone else's game.

If that's not it, I don't know what could have caused it. Your best approach is to use the Dop-Mii method on this page to upgrade your Wii to 4.2 or 4.3. This will undo any bad IOS stuff you did and also undo other menu hacks that might be causing your problems. The only thing it won't fix is if your console is banned.

I literally tried goin online with a hack via USB GX only once. It was pure curiosity. That link has no page, also, I used AnyRegion Changer so I could play full speed VC games on my PAL wii, will this have any significance? Ideally, I would like to maintain this functionality as well as being able to boot from a USB drive. I just really want to try Monster Hunter online. My wii can find networks just not connect to them, its driving me crazy.

How do you guys think the release of Skyward Sword will go for modded Wiis? I think Nintendo is bound to give another FW-update again but I'm not sure if that's an annoyance or an actual problem. Any modding experts know? I used the GAF-tutorial and have a general idea of how things work but I'm no expert. I'm just worried that when I try to backup Skyward Sword my Wii starts to spazz out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
mariachi507 said:
This is probably brought up frequently, but I've decided to play games through CFG from this point going forward. What type of external hard drive would you guys recommend? As I understand it, some devices have been having issues with spindowns, non-compatibility, etc.
I can personally vouch for the older Seagate FreeAgent Go 500GB drive, and the refreshed Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB drive.

They're relatively small, thin single USB drives that do NOT require external/independent power sources. Perfect compatibility in my many years of experience.

Is there any way to go back to the old GUI in CFG? I really don't like the new one and how it makes you click on stuff, I preferred the old console text and key shortcuts (press A twice and you're in, etc).

If not what was the last revision that used the old-style GUI?

Clipper

rpgb46 said:
I literally tried goin online with a hack via USB GX only once. It was pure curiosity. That link has no page, also, I used AnyRegion Changer so I could play full speed VC games on my PAL wii, will this have any significance? Ideally, I would like to maintain this functionality as well as being able to boot from a USB drive. I just really want to try Monster Hunter online. My wii can find networks just not connect to them, its driving me crazy.
Sorry, the link I meant to post was this one. However, yes, the region changer might have had a big effect and it actually makes upgrading very dangerous with many potential bricking risks. What error code and message do you get when you try to connect? We can possibly work out if your curiosity has gotten you banned if you provide that.
Disguises said:
I've recently changed my HDD from WBFS to FAT32. I've read the wiki and apparently it's fine to just copy the game.wbfs from my PC straight back to the newly formatted hard drive and it will work? No need to convert to ISO or something? Thanks for the help.
Yes it will work. No, you don't have to do anything else. Provided the files are named correctly, which they will be if you used this method.
StevePharma said:
How do you guys think the release of Skyward Sword will go for modded Wiis? I think Nintendo is bound to give another FW-update again but I'm not sure if that's an annoyance or an actual problem. Any modding experts know? I used the GAF-tutorial and have a general idea of how things work but I'm no expert. I'm just worried that when I try to backup Skyward Sword my Wii starts to spazz out.
We'd need to be psychic to answer this question. Don't worry, though. We will almost certainly know before launch of the game whether it works or includes an update or whatever else, and will probably have a fix for any issues before launch too. Just check back in this thread before you attempt to play it for the first time.
HisshouBuraiKen said:
Is there any way to go back to the old GUI in CFG? I really don't like the new one and how it makes you click on stuff, I preferred the old console text and key shortcuts (press A twice and you're in, etc).

If not what was the last revision that used the old-style GUI?
Add the option
gui=2
to config.txt to go back.

It should be noted that pushing A twice still works, provided you don't have the cursor over a button that isn't the start one (pressing A anywhere that isn't a button launches the game). If you're using one of the flow display modes (which almost everyone does), then your cursor won't be over any of the buttons when you select a game, so this will always work.

rpgb46

Clipper said:
Sorry, the link I meant to post was this one. However, yes, the region changer might have had a big effect and it actually makes upgrading very dangerous with many potential bricking risks. What error code and message do you get when you try to connect? We can possibly work out if your curiosity has gotten you banned if you provide that.

The error is 51330.

StevePharma said:
Doesn't StartPatch make this a non-issue?

Clipper

shadyspace said:
Doesn't StartPatch make this a non-issue?
There have been games that require an update to work in the past, like if they need features of a new IOS. Plus, they could implement similar checks to what Ubisoft is doing to detect cIOSes. Everything should have a work around in any case.

Top Bottom