• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Clipper

Kilrogg said:
On another topic: why is it recommended to give a static IP to your Wii if you want to use FTPii? I'd have to reconfigure my Wi-Fi router and everything (got 3 computers connecting to the network + my Wii and DSi), and I'm not sure I could do that without fucking things up since I wasn't the one who originally configured the network.
It's just easier that way. If you have other methods to get around the Wii having a different IP each time (perhaps using DNS on your router), then it'll be just as easy, or you can just check the IP each time.

Teppic

Do I need to run the Forwarder channel from the Wii menu every time to use it?

What I want to do is to autorun the homebrew channel at start, run CFG or any other program, and also be able to exit back to CFG if I run a game from CFG.

Clipper

Teppic said:
Do I need to run the Forwarder channel from the Wii menu every time to use it?

What I want to do is to autorun the homebrew channel at start, run CFG or any other program, and also be able to exit back to CFG if I run a game from CFG.
If you are able to install BootMii in boot2 (it can only be done on early Wiis) then it can auto-launch the HBC for you. If a newer Wii, you need to use Priiloader, but I don't recommend it (it's very slightly dangerous).

You can also use the return_to_channel option to determine what happens when you quit a game. Setting return_to_channel=auto will take you back to the launching app (HBC or forwarder) or you can force the forwarder via return_to_channel=UCXF or return_to_channel=AF1BF516 to force the HBC.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Is it possible to install HBC, run a program that changes the system's region IOS, then remove all homebrew and essentially have a 'clean' Wii of a totally different region?

Shizzlee

Sorry for bothering anyone, but I could use some advice. I had my Wii hacked using the great guide here for about a year now with the Smash Stack on a 4.3U Wii installing Bootmii as both boot2 and IOS with HBC and made a NAND backup. It was perfect. Got hit up from a friend from this website I go to yesterday. Dude wanted to share some Brawl screenshots with me for whatever reason. In order to receive these over Nintendo Wifi, you have to enable WiiConnect24 Standby Connection. I did so and got those screenshots which were ok.

Here's where stuff went wrong. Right after doing this I had to shit. I turned the Wii off and quickly went do so, but I left Standby Connection on which I'm guessing was my big mistake. The shit sucked and took like 30 mins. When I got out, I wanted to play some Wii because I was bored as hell. BootMii came up as normal, but the System Menu did not start. Not the first time this happened to to my Wii before. Usually I would unplug the thing and wait for a bit, plug it back then it was perfect. That didn't work this time. Tried to enter the Homebrew Channel through BootMii and that didn't work either.

Next I restored the copy of my first NAND backup. Everything went alright, or so I thought. All I got was a repeat performance. BootMii, but no Homebrew Channel or System Menu. At this point, I went through HackMii again and reinstalled the Homebrew Channel and BootMii. That gave me the Homebrew Channel again and there was much rejoicing, but all the happiness went away when the System Menu still failed to load.

So, for most of the night I've been doing research trying to see what I could do before having to send the thing to Nintendo or buying another. Now, I'm not particularly sure what the problem could be. I want to say broken WiFi module, but I'm not sure. The Homebrew Channel does fail to initialize the network. I'm guessing that would have more to do with it not being able to access the Wii System Menu to get the Network Settings? One more thing to note. Leaving my SD card in the Wii causes it to load BootMii like normal with the disk slot flashing once. If I don't have the SD card in the Wii, the disk slot flashes like crazy for a second then nothing happens. I want to say that my Wii is dead at this point, but I just want another opinion and possible advice.

Edit: Got it to work again by doing a second restore!!! :D

OK I got Xenoblade but here's my problem.

I didn't mod my Wii quite yet but I did some test runs with how my Wii responds to the disc unmodded. Anyway, the disc starts off slow and I can hear it then gets loud as it does with all my games, save GC discs sometimes. But a little after it gets loud, the disc quickly stops to a halt. I don't know if this is how it should normally react to an out of region disc, or my drive is botched...

Should I go ahead and homebrew?

Edit: If I go to the disc channel as it's running, it starts running but then says "unable to read disc" eventually as the disc stops spinning. This is normal right?

Edit 2: Btw, I tried running a DVD just to compare and I got the same result save for the Wii drive not getting as loud as when I play a Wii game.

TunaLover

The thing is Xenoblade is apparently dual layered, so your lens could be dying, try with a borrowed Brawl, or Other M, they are dual layer too.

I can't...at best I could rent but I may not need to because Clipper said earlier that this could be normal but I want enough confirmation.

TunaLover

Uh, I see, I don't have imports so I'm not sure if that is normal or not =P. Anyway softmoding will not affect your console, just follow every step from Clippers guide =)

TunaLover said:
Uh, I see, I don't have imports so I'm not sure if that is normal or not =P. Anyway softmoding will not affect your console, just follow every step from Clippers guide =)

I'm mostly just worried that if I decide to send my Wii in, Nintendo might return it unfixed though they could just as easily fix my Wii anyway. So before I do anything...

OK I took the dip and got the game working. But after a little while of playing, the game stops reading >_< I guess I should get the lens cleaning kit? Or would Cfg work even if the discs works only for a little bit?

Clipper

luka said:
Is it possible to install HBC, run a program that changes the system's region IOS, then remove all homebrew and essentially have a 'clean' Wii of a totally different region?
Only on older Wiis, and even then it is extremely dangerous. Don't bother.

Shizzlee said:
Sorry for bothering anyone, but I could use some advice. I had my Wii hacked using the great guide here for about a year now with the Smash Stack on a 4.3U Wii installing Bootmii as both boot2 and IOS with HBC and made a NAND backup. It was perfect. Got hit up from a friend from this website I go to yesterday. Dude wanted to share some Brawl screenshots with me for whatever reason. In order to receive these over Nintendo Wifi, you have to enable WiiConnect24 Standby Connection. I did so and got those screenshots which were ok.

Here's where stuff went wrong. Right after doing this I had to shit. I turned the Wii off and quickly went do so, but I left Standby Connection on which I'm guessing was my big mistake. The shit sucked and took like 30 mins. When I got out, I wanted to play some Wii because I was bored as hell. BootMii came up as normal, but the System Menu did not start. Not the first time this happened to to my Wii before. Usually I would unplug the thing and wait for a bit, plug it back then it was perfect. That didn't work this time. Tried to enter the Homebrew Channel through BootMii and that didn't work either.

Next I restored the copy of my first NAND backup. Everything went alright, or so I thought. All I got was a repeat performance. BootMii, but no Homebrew Channel or System Menu. At this point, I went through HackMii again and reinstalled the Homebrew Channel and BootMii. That gave me the Homebrew Channel again and there was much rejoicing, but all the happiness went away when the System Menu still failed to load.

So, for most of the night I've been doing research trying to see what I could do before having to send the thing to Nintendo or buying another. Now, I'm not particularly sure what the problem could be. I want to say broken WiFi module, but I'm not sure. The Homebrew Channel does fail to initialize the network. I'm guessing that would have more to do with it not being able to access the Wii System Menu to get the Network Settings? One more thing to note. Leaving my SD card in the Wii causes it to load BootMii like normal with the disk slot flashing once. If I don't have the SD card in the Wii, the disk slot flashes like crazy for a second then nothing happens. I want to say that my Wii is dead at this point, but I just want another opinion and possible advice.

Edit: Got it to work again by doing a second restore!!! :D
That's very strange. There is something very wrong with your Wii. I suggest performing a Wii update.

Bel Marduk said:
OK I got Xenoblade but here's my problem.

I didn't mod my Wii quite yet but I did some test runs with how my Wii responds to the disc unmodded. Anyway, the disc starts off slow and I can hear it then gets loud as it does with all my games, save GC discs sometimes. But a little after it gets loud, the disc quickly stops to a halt. I don't know if this is how it should normally react to an out of region disc, or my drive is botched...

Should I go ahead and homebrew?

Edit: If I go to the disc channel as it's running, it starts running but then says "unable to read disc" eventually as the disc stops spinning. This is normal right?

Edit 2: Btw, I tried running a DVD just to compare and I got the same result save for the Wii drive not getting as loud as when I play a Wii game.
Just to let you know, yes it was normal. It spins the disc to read the header of the game, discovers it's not a game it can play and then stops reading the disc.

Bel Marduk said:
OK I took the dip and got the game working. But after a little while of playing, the game stops reading >_< I guess I should get the lens cleaning kit? Or would Cfg work even if the discs works only for a little bit?
You might have more luck ripping the game than playing it, yes. Try that, but if it fails too, the lens cleaning kit is probably going to fix it.

DarkPanda

Clipper said:
You should be getting more options than that and there should be more text on the screen. In fact, it should only offer to do the BCA rather than installing the game if it thinks that game is already installed. Check your /wbfs directory and see if there are files for the game there already and if so, delete them. I do find it strange if that's the problem, though, as the game should show up in Cfg's menu.

The other thing I can suggest is attempting to change the theme to one of the other ones that comes in the default Cfg installation. The theme you are using in that screenshot is one of the older ones and I think it's only used by default if it's not finding the /usb-loader directory on the drive...

Ok, so I finally had some time to play with this and managed to get CFG to work, mostly. Now first let me say that I have the usb-loader folder installed on my external HDD, though I tried it on the SD card and got the same results.

When I open up CFG I get the boring "default" theme and can't copy games to the hdd. However, it does recognize any copied games I have on the drive and will load them with no problem. Now if I go into the style settings and try to change the theme, BAM!, the theme properly loads up and I can copy disks and everything (keeping the default glass works just fine, I just have to "preview" another style first). I ripped DKCR as a test and it saved it to the hdd with no problems, and when I downloaded the cover pics it put them in the right directory on the hdd and recognizes them from there on out just fine. I tested the game and it loaded up perfectly and recognized my old saves. The thing is, every time I start up CFG I have to go through this if I want to copy a game. I can load copies just fine, but to make a new copy I have to change the style so the loader can somehow properly realize that oh yea, there is a config file. I did put the path to the config in meta.xml, and there's no change that I can tell in the path it's reading before and after I change the theme, but apparently there is because I get different behaviors before and after. Any idea of what's going on? I can live with what it's doing now since I can load my games right off the bat, but I would like to get the thing working properly.

Clipper

DarkPanda said:
Ok, so I finally had some time to play with this and managed to get CFG to work, mostly. Now first let me say that I have the usb-loader folder installed on my external HDD, though I tried it on the SD card and got the same results.

When I open up CFG I get the boring "default" theme and can't copy games to the hdd. However, it does recognize any copied games I have on the drive and will load them with no problem. Now if I go into the style settings and try to change the theme, BAM!, the theme properly loads up and I can copy disks and everything (keeping the default glass works just fine, I just have to "preview" another style first). I ripped DKCR as a test and it saved it to the hdd with no problems, and when I downloaded the cover pics it put them in the right directory on the hdd and recognizes them from there on out just fine. I tested the game and it loaded up perfectly and recognized my old saves. The thing is, every time I start up CFG I have to go through this if I want to copy a game. I can load copies just fine, but to make a new copy I have to change the style so the loader can somehow properly realize that oh yea, there is a config file. I did put the path to the config in meta.xml, and there's no change that I can tell in the path it's reading before and after I change the theme, but apparently there is because I get different behaviors before and after. Any idea of what's going on? I can live with what it's doing now since I can load my games right off the bat, but I would like to get the thing working properly.
The path to the config does not go into meta.xml. It looks for config.txt in the /usb-loader directory. That is where it should be and there should be one already there in the directory from the zip file (you did copy the contents of the directory in the zip file too, right?).

One more thing. I downloaded Savegame Extractor from the Homebrew Browser because I wanted to copy my Monster Hunter 3 save to my SD card because it won't allow you to do it normally. Well I did the process, but I don't see any MH3 save on my SD card. Am I missing something here?

Also, the copy copies what you have saved at the moment, and doesn't include and further progress you might make right?

Clipper

Bel Marduk said:
One more thing. I downloaded Savegame Extractor from the Homebrew Browser because I wanted to copy my Monster Hunter 3 save to my SD card because it won't allow you to do it normally. Well I did the process, but I don't see any MH3 save on my SD card. Am I missing something here?

Also, the copy copies what you have saved at the moment, and doesn't include and further progress you might make right?
Yeah, if you don't see the save on the SD in the Wii Data Management, then it likely didn't work. Also, yes, if you do copy the save, it is not going to update on the SD as well as the Wii. New progress will only save to the Wii's save file for the game.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
An update on my HDD issues:

Clipper, I told you a few days ago that the installation process for Xenoblade took a while. USB Loader would just freeze for God-knows-how-long when I pressed A to start the installation. Eventually it worked. I initially attributed that issue to Xenoblade being a dual-layered disc.

BUT, ever since I did that it looks like any game I try to install suffers from the same issue. I tried to reinstall NSMB Wii: Loader froze after pressing A. Had to leave the Wii on for a while and do something else. Ir worked eventually. Tried to install Goldeneye: froze. I waited for like 5 or 10 minutes while chatting with a friend, to no avail. Maybe if I try again I can install it properly.

You said that my HDD might be too big and/or too fragmented. While heavy fragmentation sounded unlikely to me, I still defragmented both my Wii FAT32 partition and my regular NTFS partition for good measure. I use a 500GB HDD for regular data backups (NTFS) and Wii games (FAT32). The Wii partition is 75GB large. So obviously the drive is neither too big nor fragmented. Also, the system plays games from the disc just fine, even Xenoblade.

Note: launch PAL 4.3 Wii, USB Loader v70 with d2x installed. Everything's up to date, basically.

Any idea what's wrong?

DarkPanda

OK, I feel kinda stupid right now. I did the quick theme switch to get my CFG working properly, and this time I actually saved the settings in the system menu before exiting. Wouldn't you know it, the next time I started it up everything was working as it should be, including themes, backgrounds, and disk ripping. So problem solved, I guess.

Clipper said:
The path to the config does not go into meta.xml. It looks for config.txt in the /usb-loader directory. That is where it should be and there should be one already there in the directory from the zip file (you did copy the contents of the directory in the zip file too, right?).

I followed all of the instructions on the wiki word for word, including copying the apps folder to the sd card and moving the usb-loader folder to the root of my hdd. I only put the config path into meta.xml because the configuration gui had a field for it and I thought it might help. I still have no idea why it was messed up in the first place, but at least I got it working correctly now. Thanks for your help, I never would have thought to look at the styles if you didn't mention it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Clipper said:
Only on older Wiis, and even then it is extremely dangerous. Don't bother.
Interesting. Even using something like this? That is to say, I can't use that to change the system language and simply remove the HBC?
How about StartPatch? I've applied all online and disc update checks, and region protection. Do I still need HBC present on my system?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
ivysaur12 said:
So I installed Homebrew Channel and then BootMii (launch Wii).

I went to start my Wii, it went right to to BootMii, but my controller isn't being registered by the console? I am able to turn it on and off, but it won't connect besides that.

I tried changing controllers and even re-doing the thing with the red buttons. What should I do?

That's because BootMii doesn't work with Wii controllers. You have to use a Gamecube controller or the buttons on the system (Power button for next option, Reset button to select). It even says so repeatedly in the tutorial...

[EDIT] Too late, pal :D.

I'd recommend GeckoOS. Or just install USB Loader and put your games on your external hard drive if you have one. USB Loader works with games from every region.

Clipper

Kilrogg said:
An update on my HDD issues:

Clipper, I told you a few days ago that the installation process for Xenoblade took a while. USB Loader would just freeze for God-knows-how-long when I pressed A to start the installation. Eventually it worked. I initially attributed that issue to Xenoblade being a dual-layered disc.

BUT, ever since I did that it looks like any game I try to install suffers from the same issue. I tried to reinstall NSMB Wii: Loader froze after pressing A. Had to leave the Wii on for a while and do something else. Ir worked eventually. Tried to install Goldeneye: froze. I waited for like 5 or 10 minutes while chatting with a friend, to no avail. Maybe if I try again I can install it properly.

You said that my HDD might be too big and/or too fragmented. While heavy fragmentation sounded unlikely to me, I still defragmented both my Wii FAT32 partition and my regular NTFS partition for good measure. I use a 500GB HDD for regular data backups (NTFS) and Wii games (FAT32). The Wii partition is 75GB large. So obviously the drive is neither too big nor fragmented. Also, the system plays games from the disc just fine, even Xenoblade.

Note: launch PAL 4.3 Wii, USB Loader v70 with d2x installed. Everything's up to date, basically.

Any idea what's wrong?
No, I'm sorry, no idea. Perhaps Cfg isn't seeing the thing that makes it easier to calculate free space on FAT, so it's doing it every time. At least everything is working!

luka said:
Interesting. Even using something like this? That is to say, I can't use that to change the system language and simply remove the HBC?
How about StartPatch? I've applied all online and disc update checks, and region protection. Do I still need HBC present on my system?
One of the recent firmware updates broke many Wiis that had previously applied a region changing method like that. You can attempt it, but there is a high chance that you will be left with a brick. You don't need HBC on your system, but it means you'll need to reinstall it if you want to run homebrew again, of course.

ivysaur12 said:
EDIT: AND I'M AN IDIOT

What region-free apps work best?
Was going to answer your other question, but it appears you edited it. I guess you read the rest of the instructions, eh?

As for the new question, they all work about the same. Your choice really comes down to the convenience and usefulness of each method. If you want the option to not need the disc in the drive, use Cfg. If you want to launch via the disc channel, choose StartPatch. If you want to keep stuff installed on your Wii to a minimum, use Tinyload or Gecko OS.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Clipper said:
No, I'm sorry, no idea. Perhaps Cfg isn't seeing the thing that makes it easier to calculate free space on FAT, so it's doing it every time. At least everything is working!

Thanks anyway :). I certainly don't expect you to have a solution for everything. One thing though: "the thing that makes it easier to calculate free space on FAT"? What is this thing and why would CFG have a hard time seeing it?

Clipper

Kilrogg said:
Thanks anyway :). I certainly don't expect you to have a solution for everything. One thing though: "the thing that makes it easier to calculate free space on FAT"? What is this thing and why would CFG have a hard time seeing it?
Here's the info from the version that added it:

README-CFG said:
* Updated libfat to svn-4520 which includes FSINFO (by Dimok)
FAT fsinfo stores the free space info to a designated sector
speeding up the time it takes to print the free space.
Previously the entire FAT table had to be scanned to get the
free space which could take up to a couple of minutes.
This was also the reason the option hide_hddinfo=1 is set
so that by default the free space is not displayed .
* Added a way to manually scan and sync the free space in fsinfo.
Go to global options / partition selection and press 2
Then all FAT filesystems will be shown and the free space for each
By confirming with A the free space will be scanned again. If the
scanned free space mathces fsinfo OK is displayed otherwise the
correct free space, which is then stored to fsinfo.
It is enough to do this once, after that the fsinfo should be kept
in sync. (but using some other homebrew to write/delete data from
FAT will make the info unsynced again, until all other apps are upgraded
with the new libfat as well)

So try that manual scan method and see if that fixes the problem. I don't know if that is available by the GUI Menu, but pushing B,1,1,2 from the GUI should get you there.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Clipper said:
Here's the info from the version that added it:

So try that manual scan method and see if that fixes the problem. I don't know if that is available by the GUI Menu, but pushing B,1,1,2 from the GUI should get you there.

Thank you. I'll try it out with a friend's game when I meet them. I'd rather not reinstall one of my games for fear it might not work any more.

Teppic

Clipper said:
If you are able to install BootMii in boot2 (it can only be done on early Wiis) then it can auto-launch the HBC for you. If a newer Wii, you need to use Priiloader, but I don't recommend it (it's very slightly dangerous).

You can also use the return_to_channel option to determine what happens when you quit a game. Setting return_to_channel=auto will take you back to the launching app (HBC or forwarder) or you can force the forwarder via return_to_channel=UCXF or return_to_channel=AF1BF516 to force the HBC.
I already have BootMii. I just wanted to know if it would work the way I want, IE run HBC directly at start, run CFG from HBC and be able to return to CFG after I run a game. If the forward channel is something you have to run every time from the Wii system menu I don't think it's worth it.

Is there any way to patch games directly from the USB drive? For NSMB Wii custom levels and such.

Clipper

Teppic said:
I already have BootMii. I just wanted to know if it would work the way I want, IE run HBC directly at start, run CFG from HBC and be able to return to CFG after I run a game. If the forward channel is something you have to run every time from the Wii system menu I don't think it's worth it.

Is there any way to patch games directly from the USB drive? For NSMB Wii custom levels and such.
It appears that I wasn't clear enough in my explanation. You want to set BootMii up to autostart Cfg, as per the instructions on the BootMii page, install the forwarder and add return_to_channel=UCXF into config.txt. Then you'll get exactly what you are asking for.

As for patching, sorry, I've never been interested in that and am clueless on the matter.

Teppic

Clipper said:
It appears that I wasn't clear enough in my explanation. You want to set BootMii up to autostart Cfg, as per the instructions on the BootMii page, install the forwarder and add return_to_channel=UCXF into config.txt. Then you'll get exactly what you are asking for.

As for patching, sorry, I've never been interested in that and am clueless on the matter.
Thanks. I figured that's how it worked, I just wanted to be sure.

I guess I'll have to use Riivolution for real time patching. Too bad it only works with discs and not USB Loader.

ivysaur12

Banned
So my cheap RGB cables for my Wii broke and I had to switch back to the standard Red-White-Yellow ones. Now Xenoblade is appearing to be stretched and in black and white. Anyway with Gecko to fix this?

Clipper

ivysaur12 said:
So my cheap RGB cables for my Wii broke and I had to switch back to the standard Red-White-Yellow ones. Now Xenoblade is appearing to be stretched and in black and white. Anyway with Gecko to fix this?
Force NTSC.

Clipper said:
Yeah, if you don't see the save on the SD in the Wii Data Management, then it likely didn't work. Also, yes, if you do copy the save, it is not going to update on the SD as well as the Wii. New progress will only save to the Wii's save file for the game.

Hmm I tried this 3-4 more times but it still doesn't work, though the program says it did. MH3 won't allow you to copy it normally so would that screw up the program somehow, not allowing me to see MH3 on my SD card's data management?

Clipper

Bel Marduk said:
Hmm I tried this 3-4 more times but it still doesn't work, though the program says it did. MH3 won't allow you to copy it normally so would that screw up the program somehow, not allowing me to see MH3 on my SD card's data management?
No, it should be able to see the save on the card regardless, I think (not 100% sure, though). Perhaps try a different save copying technique, like StartPatch, which has a patch that should remove the save copy protection entirely.

TunaLover

Bel Marduk said:

Hi, I recommend you use Savegame Manager, it will store a backup of your save, but NOT in form of normal Wii save. To transform it to a normal save you need "install" that backup, for that you need delete the previous save. Do you need transfer your MH3 save to another Wii? Or just back it up?, if the later, I'm afraid you need get rid of your actual Wii save before install the back up.

Maybe that's the app you used?
That's why you can't see the save =)

TunaLover said:
Hi, I recommend you use Savegame Manager, it will store a backup of your save, but NOT in form of normal Wii save. To transform it to a normal save you need "install" that backup, for that you need delete the previous save. Do you need transfer your MH3 save to another Wii? Or just back it up?, if the later, I'm afraid you need get rid of your actual Wii save before install the back up.

Maybe that's the app you used?
That's why you can't see the save =)

I want to back it up. I don't want to delete my save lol. If that's how Extractor works?

Doesn't Savegame Manager need me to install IOS stuff or whatever? If I ever decide to get a USB drive for Cfg I guess I'll try it since I don't want to install an IOS otherwise really.

TunaLover

Bel Marduk said:
Doesn't Savegame Manager need me to install IOS stuff or whatever? If I ever decide to get a USB drive for Cfg I guess I'll try it since I don't want to install an IOS otherwise really.

No, Savegame Manager GX works with IOS58, you only need have the 4.3 firmware.

The save extractions goes to SD:/savegame/your_save. Then you only need install that backup in your Wii (or another homebrewed Wii) again, all with the same app.

TunaLover said:
No, Savegame Manager GX works with IOS58, you only need have the 4.3 firmware.

The save extractions goes to SD:/savegame/your_save. Then you only need install that backup in your Wii (or another homebrewed Wii) again, all with the same app.

So IOS58 = 4.3 firmware, not some separate IOS I need to download then?

I just checked my SD card folder and there was a new folder called WIISAVES which seems to be the MH3 extraction. If, say, I deleted my MH3 save and would like it back, I would use Savegamer Manager GX, and use that program to put my MH3 save back on my Wii right?

Dwayne

Is there a loader for import gamecube titles? We've got a PAL Wii with Homebrew channel and a NTSC Resident Evil 0. Cheers

Clipper

Dwayne said:
Answer: Gecko OS.
Actually,

Answer: All of the region free methods. And I even had a column for Gamecube compatibility in the handy little summary table already.

JJD said:
Guys, do I need firmware 4.3 to play Xenoblade? I'm currently on 3.2.
Probably not. There's no harm in updating any more, though. Just upgrade your homebrew set up first if you haven't touched it in a while.

Machine

I installed the homebrew channel and got Xenoblades to run on my Wii. The only problem is that it is in black and white. I assume its an NTSC/PAL issue but I haven't seen other people having this problem. Any ideas?

Gvaz

Banned
Machine said:
I installed the homebrew channel and got Xenoblades to run on my Wii. The only problem is that it is in black and white. I assume its an NTSC/PAL issue but I haven't seen other people having this problem. Any ideas?
It's an issue with your TV. It doesn't support PAL. If you're using a backup loader, you can easily force NTSC though it doesn't work with all games.

Clipper

All the region free methods support forcing NTSC, so that's the option you need to find. Or get a TV that supports 480p and some component cables for the Wii to truly do the game justice.

Oh, it should be mentioned that this issue can be caused by using S-Video cables. If you are using those, you might need to go back to composite.

Gaaraz

My Wii is setup and all running homebrew quite nicely, but I haven't updated it for around a year now... would I gain much (any?) benefit from updating and then using LetterBomb?

Clipper

Gaaraz said:
My Wii is setup and all running homebrew quite nicely, but I haven't updated it for around a year now... would I gain much (any?) benefit from updating and then using LetterBomb?
There's no benefit in using Letterbomb, it's just a method to launch the Homebrew Channel Installer.

Also, if you upgrade all your homebrew stuff before you update the Wii, then none of it will be deleted.

Top Bottom