• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

In preparation Xenoblade, I finally soft-modded my Wii during the week.

Can I have some recommendations for other Wii games that never came out in the US? Doesn't necessarily have to be in English, I wouldn't be averse to playing an RPG in Japanese.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Wow, am I doing something wrong here?

Super Paper Mario is only 0.4GB compared to the usual 4GB rips?
Super Mario All-Stars is 0.02GB; such a waste of a DVD. Just an SNES ROM and emulator.

As for real Wii games, Link's Crossbow Training is 0.2GB.

UltimateIke said:
Super Mario All-Stars is 0.02GB; such a waste of a DVD. Just an SNES ROM and emulator.

As for real Wii games, Link's Crossbow Training is 0.2GB.
Ivy the Kiwi? is like 70 MB. 'Course that started off as a Wiiware game before they switched to retail.

Meier

Hmm. I've got HBC, IOS236, d2x and now Cfg USB Loader installed but when I put in my Xenoblade disc, nothing shows up.. is there a step I am missing? I am just using the SD card for now.. just wanted to try and get it working first. Do I need a separate Region Free utility like Start Patch now to actually play it off the disc?

Figured it out! I went through the cog and then boot disc.. looks like we're good to go. Score! I will definitely look into getting a HDD and installing this though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Umm? Nothing shows up by itself, you have to do stuff. Go to HBC, launch USB loader, press + to install the game (or choose to launch from disc, from within USB Loader, that might work too, if it doesn't then yes, you'll need one of those other solutions like Gecko or StartPatch).

0 HP

Are there ANY negative side effects to doing this if you bought a lot of VC games? Does it void your warranty? Because VC is tied to a single system correct? If my Wii goes, I need to get it repaired as opposed to just buying another one I thought

Gvaz

Banned
0 HP said:
Are there ANY negative side effects to doing this if you bought a lot of VC games? Does it void your warranty? Because VC is tied to a single system correct? If my Wii goes, I need to get it repaired as opposed to just buying another one I thought
It voids your warranty but you can just clean it before sending it in (of course if it dies, there's not much you can do to clean it, but if it doesn't even turn on most likely they'll just give you a new one. Not sure how that affects VC titles.)

If you're really worried about your VC titles, you can probably just back them up on an SD card. (never sent my wii in so I'm not sure if it works on another wii).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
0 HP said:
Are there ANY negative side effects to doing this if you bought a lot of VC games?

No.

Does it void your warranty?

Yes-ish, but your warranty is probably already expired given that you purchase it before October 2010.

Because VC is tied to a single system correct?

Yes.

If my Wii goes, I need to get it repaired as opposed to just buying another one I thought

Well, sort of. Whether you get it repaired or buy a new one, if you want Nintendo to transfer your purchases, you'll have to go through them.

Clipper

Yeah, if the machine is more than a year old (the warranty period) the only risk is that Nintendo will charge you a slightly increased fee if your machine is broken, but not broken enough to hide your homebrew.

They'll give you the option to transfer your VC games to a new machine even if they do detect the homebrew.

How do I select FAT32 in USB Loader? (Using an SD card by the way) Only FAT1 is shown.
Xenoblade is in black and white, any idea on how to fix this :/
EDIT: Nevermind got it working.

tim1138

So I upgraded to d2x so I could install SSBB, M:OM, Wii Sports Resort, and MP: Trilogy. Everything took, but now games don't show up in the playlog on the message board, it just says Homebrew Channel. I tried to fix it via the Configurator (or whatever its called), but it didn't fix it. Any thoughts?

Clipper

tim1138 said:
So I upgraded to d2x so I could install SSBB, M:OM, Wii Sports Resort, and MP: Trilogy. Everything took, but now games don't show up in the playlog on the message board, it just says Homebrew Channel. I tried to fix it via the Configurator (or whatever its called), but it didn't fix it. Any thoughts?
Perhaps you have previously saved settings for those games with the playlog option switched off? Check the options page for each game and ensure its Write Playlog option is set to On. If they are off Change and save the option or remove the saved options so the games use the default value again.

tim1138

Clipper said:
Perhaps you have previously saved settings for those games with the playlog option switched off? Check the options page for each game and ensure its Write Playlog option is set to On.

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

I'm thinking of bringing my wii to my apartment and using it on my computer monitor with one of
, since I don't have any space for a TV. However, some PAL users have been reporting some issues with the games being in 50Hz and monitors are usually made for 60Hz so I was wondering if it's possible to force the Wii to output in 60Hz without any game glitches? I have the games ripped to a USB HDD, if that matters.

On a related note, has anyone successfully made a Wii->VGA cable themselves? I found a guide for a component->VGA adapter myself, but the monitors doesn't seem to like the component signal since they don't even detect the cable as being connected...

Clipper

Snytbaggen said:
I'm thinking of bringing my wii to my apartment and using it on my computer monitor with one of
, since I don't have any space for a TV. However, some PAL users have been reporting some issues with the games being in 50Hz and monitors are usually made for 60Hz so I was wondering if it's possible to force the Wii to output in 60Hz without any game glitches? I have the games ripped to a USB HDD, if that matters.

On a related note, has anyone successfully made a Wii->VGA cable themselves? I found a guide for a component->VGA adapter myself, but the monitors doesn't seem to like the component signal since they don't even detect the cable as being connected...
Most cables like these, including the one you linked, only support 480p. This makes the PAL thing a non-issue, as neither the standard PAL (576i) nor standard NTSC (480i) will display anything. You need to set your Wii to use 480p in the Wii settings for any of these cables to work, which would explain your issues so far, maybe.

Fortunately, most games support 480p and the format is the same regardless of region. Most of those that don't support 480p can be forced to use it in Cfg USB Loader by settiing Video to Force NTSC and Video Patch to All too. I do this for a handful of my games like Mario Party 8 PAL, Spider-Man 3 PAL and Kororinpa PAL and the games work perfectly in progressive scan then (well, Spider-Man's menus become off centre and glitchy, but they are still navigatable). The only game in my collection I have never been able to get working in 480p is Little King's Story PAL.

There are also AV boxes (not cables) that will give you a VGA output and support 480i and 576i inputs as well, but they'll set you back $50 or so.

Clipper said:
Most cables like these, including the one you linked, only support 480p. This makes the PAL thing a non-issue, as neither the standard PAL (576i) nor standard NTSC (480i) will display anything. You need to set your Wii to use 480p in the Wii settings for any of these cables to work, which would explain your issues so far, maybe.

Fortunately, most games support 480p and the format is the same regardless of region. Most of those that don't support 480p can be forced to use it in Cfg USB Loader by settiing Video to Force NTSC and Video Patch to All too. I do this for a handful of my games like Mario Party 8 PAL, Spider-Man 3 PAL and Kororinpa PAL and the games work perfectly in progressive scan then (well, Spider-Man's menus become off centre and glitchy, but they are still navigatable). The only game in my collection I have never been able to get working in 480p is Little King's Story PAL.

There are also AV boxes (not cables) that will give you a VGA output and support 480i and 576i inputs as well, but they'll set you back $50 or so.
Thanks for the info, I already have my wii set to 480p, since it's currently hooked up to a hdtv at my parent's place. I think the problem is that the cable I made is just a straight adapter; the green component signal is sent to the green vga pins etc., and the site I found the guide on specifically warned that it probably wouldn't work with monitors unless they accepted a component signal through the vga port. So since the cables you can buy seemingly works with most monitors it must be doing something differently, but I haven't found any information pointing towards what it is, and it drives me mad.

EDIT: Okay, it seems I've found something here. It appears that PAL Wiis can output an RGB signal via component cables, if a short between two connector points doesn't exist. So if I cut out this connection and wire up the composite sync signal to the horizontal sync on the VGA cable I should be good to go, as long as I have a monitor that can take composite sync. Luckily for me, I have one! Unluckily, the component connector doesn't have pins for the composite signal so I'll have to create these pins myself. Will update with the results (and guide, if anyone's interested).

Hey as of now, I really have no Idea where to start, but I knoiw that to copy my games to an external HDD i need to format it in WBSF right? I dont even know what that means, yet.

well, i do have an external hdd here. there are some backups on it (too big to save them on my computer) and they need to stay there. i know there are possibilities to create new partitions without deleting stuff that is already on there, but i have no idea how to.
is there an easy way?
i have windows 7 btw

Juice

I'm in the upgrade process to go to 4.3, but in DOP-Mii, right where I should be installing boot2v4, I get

could not locate Boot2v4.wad

Why? My Wii is online, but the only options are to load from SD card or USB.

So then I used NUS downloader to download it, but that just downloaded the title to an unpacked folder.

Fake edit: ahhh, NUS Downloader has a "pack as WAD" checkbox.. trying that now.

Damon Bennet said:
Hey as of now, I really have no Idea where to start, but I knoiw that to copy my games to an external HDD i need to format it in WBSF right? I dont even know what that means, yet.

well, i do have an external hdd here. there are some backups on it (too big to save them on my computer) and they need to stay there. i know there are possibilities to create new partitions without deleting stuff that is already on there, but i have no idea how to.
is there an easy way?
i have windows 7 btw
WBFS is no longer required. I personally use FAT32, but NTFS is also supported. EXT is supported as read-only. http://gwht.wikidot.com/usb-loader

Juice

Just upgraded everything. Love the wiki as usual.

But cfg loader 70 freezes at the splash screen for me. I have to unplug my USB disk first, wait for it to launch, and then plug it in again.

Ideas to not force me off my couch every time I launch it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Juice said:

But cfg loader 70 freezes at the splash screen for me. I have to unplug my USB disk first, wait for it to launch, and then plug it in again.

Is it a 3.5" drive (big, has a power supply) or 2.5" drive (little, just has a USB cable)?

Clipper

Damon Bennet said:

is there an easy way?
i have windows 7 btw
If you haven't figured it out from the other replies yet, your answers can be found by clicking this image:

Juice said:

If you still remember, could you please tell me the exact order of questions in the boot2v4 update process? They changed it a while back and I'm not able to rerun it myself. It seems pretty much confirmed that it can't download the boot2v4.wad on its own, so I want to add that too.

As for your drive, it sounds like it is going to sleep while plugged in and not in use. You can try finding apps to disable that. Another workaround is to disable standby on your Wii (unless you have a need for it) as that will stop supplying power to the drive while the Wii is off.

Juice

Clipper said:
If you still remember, could you please tell me the exact order of questions in the boot2v4 update process? They changed it a while back and I'm not able to rerun it myself. It seems pretty much confirmed that it can't download the boot2v4.wad on its own, so I want to add that too.

The only thing not documented on the wiki was that when using the NUS Downloader, you need to check 'pack as wad' and explicitly name it Boot2v4.wad, then stick it right into the SD card root.

Clipper said:
As for your drive, it sounds like it is going to sleep while plugged in and not in use. You can try finding apps to disable that. Another workaround is to disable standby on your Wii (unless you have a need for it) as that will stop supplying power to the drive while the Wii is off.

I always boot the Wii and go straight into the cfg app. And this happens every single time I open it. Don't think it has to do with standby.

Juice

Harumph. Looks like the only way I can get cfg loader to work is with hermes on IOS224--and only a handful of games are loading with that :/

Loading from d2x, always:

1. Freezes at the splash screen unless I unplug the drive first
2. Freezes when I click on a game.

Using a 2.5" WBFS drive, 4.3U firmware. Otherwise just followed the wiki. Ideas?

Clipper

Yeah, a FAT format might just fix you up. One other thing to try is using Hermes' to launch the loader, but then to switch to d2x for actually loading the games. To do that, set up ios=224-mload in meta.xml, but put ios=248 into config.txt.

As for the standby fix, it's like that because your Wii still supplies power to the USB in standby (orange LED) but not the full power off state (red LED). Try holding the power button to put it into red LED mode, then starting up the Wii and trying to launch Cfg. If that works, then it's a sleep issue on the drive. Otherwise, it's an IOS or format issue.

Juice

Clipper said:
Yeah, a FAT format might just fix you up. One other thing to try is using Hermes' to launch the loader, but then to switch to d2x for actually loading the games. To do that, set up ios=224-mload in meta.xml, but put ios=248 into config.txt.

I actually tried exactly that, but when the game launches it goes to a black screen.

Clipper

Juice said:
I actually tried exactly that, but when the game launches it goes to a black screen.
Ah, I see. Strange that it wouldn't work. I also edited another test into my previous post, so try that too if you can. It is beginning to seem more like a formatting or IOS installation issue, though.

Madao

what's wrong with wbfs exactly compared to the other file systems? i've been using the HDD with that format ever since USB loaders were made and never had problems even after updating everything when i updated to 4.2.

Juice

Clipper said:

As for the standby fix, it's like that because your Wii still supplies power to the USB in standby (orange LED) but not the full power off state (red LED). Try holding the power button to put it into red LED mode, then starting up the Wii and trying to launch Cfg. If that works, then it's a sleep issue on the drive. Otherwise, it's an IOS or format issue.

Yeah, it's not an standby issue, I'm afraid. I always shut-down to red.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Was CFG ever updated to support the newer versions of d2x (3.0, 3.1, etc.)?
Been on vacation for the past few weeks...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've been sticking with WBFS, given the amount of work it would be to rip all my disc back on to the harddrive. It's split 250gb WBFS / 250gb FAT32 already, and while I'd love to rid myself of WBFS for ease of use, it's never given me any issues. And if I can avoid the ten hours it'll take me to rip the games again, I'll do that. :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
EvilMario said:
I've been sticking with WBFS, given the amount of work it would be to rip all my disc back on to the harddrive. It's split 250gb WBFS / 250gb FAT32 already, and while I'd love to rid myself of WBFS for ease of use, it's never given me any issues. And if I can avoid the ten hours it'll take me to rip the games again, I'll do that. :p
You don't need to re-rip them.

http://gwht.wikidot.com/wbfs-to-fat-transfer

Was at FW 3.2U and was content with my Homebrew status...until my wife updated to 4.3 so she could use Netflix (moved the Wii to a new room with no other Netflix abled devices). Am I screwed or is there any glimmer of hope?

Clipper

uchihasasuke said:
what's wrong with wbfs exactly compared to the other file systems? i've been using the HDD with that format ever since USB loaders were made and never had problems even after updating everything when i updated to 4.2.
It seems that if you first updated with Cfg or one of the other loaders using the Wii, you're probably OK. It's the PC-based formatting which causes the most issues. The glitches take a long time to surface, but many people get them once they hit 60 games or so.

Mejilan said:
Was CFG ever updated to support the newer versions of d2x (3.0, 3.1, etc.)?
Been on vacation for the past few weeks...
Hmm, I'm not sure. I totally forgot about that issue. I think it's not a problem any more. Can somebody please confirm?

EvilMario said:
As pointed out above, I have a tutorial page that helps you migrate your stuff between the drives. It still takes a few hours, but the process is completely automated, so just let it run overnight or something.

Naked Prime said:
Was at FW 3.2U and was content with my Homebrew status...until my wife updated to 4.3 so she could use Netflix (moved the Wii to a new room with no other Netflix abled devices). Am I screwed or is there any glimmer of hope?
No, the tutorial has you covered. If your homebrew stuff was up to date, you don't need to do a thing. If it wasn't, then you'll need to reinstall everything using the latest instructions. Read my Upgrade FAQ page for more info.

yeah I glanced at it when my wife 1st updated (nothing thorough), but after re-reading, it seems that I can just update HBC. Since HBC is still installed just nothing works.

Clipper

Juice said:
Sigh.. I'm on a Mac, but I'm trying to follow this: http://gwht.wikidot.com/wbfs-to-fat-transfer

Unfortunately, it looks like my Windows VM is refusing to connect the USB disk. Argh
The wbfs_file tool is compiled for Mac too, so you could try that perhaps. You'll have to figure out how to use the Mac command line interface and stuff, but I'm pretty sure I remember some people getting the transfer to work back in the day.

Juice

Clipper said:
The wbfs_file tool is compiled for Mac too, so you could try that perhaps. You'll have to figure out how to use the Mac command line interface and stuff, but I'm pretty sure I remember some people getting the transfer to work back in the day.

Actually, my issue is just getting the drive mounted at all on mac os x. Ideas/links?

Juice

Hmm, found this manager app and it seems to be able to export each item on my disk straight to WBFS--hope it splits the files for me.

Presuming this doesn't split the wbfs files for me, is there a way to split a WBFS file that already exists?

http://code.google.com/p/qwbfs/

Clipper

Juice said:
Hmm, found this manager app and it seems to be able to export each item on my disk straight to WBFS--hope it splits the files for me.

Presuming this doesn't split the wbfs files for me, is there a way to split a WBFS file that already exists?

http://code.google.com/p/qwbfs/
Yes, wbfs_file has that functionality. Probably the easiest way would just be to use the drag and drop feature twice as I think the first time would convert it to .iso and then doing it again to the .iso would be to convert to split .wbfs. If you can figure out the command line, you should be able to get it to take the file as input and output split ones by setting the right options all in one go.

Madao

Clipper said:
It seems that if you first updated with Cfg or one of the other loaders using the Wii, you're probably OK. It's the PC-based formatting which causes the most issues. The glitches take a long time to surface, but many people get them once they hit 60 games or so.

heh i'm nowhere near that many games so it isn't surprising i haven't got any glitches yet.

Top Bottom