• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFer is data mining through No Man's Sky (PC)

BY2K

Membero Americo
From the E3 2015 Demo.

Sean Murray on Stage: "I'm gonna do something really stupid. I'm gonna pick one of these (planets) at random. And we can go there. Now this was ok in rehearsal, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But if anything horrible goes wrong just keep in mind that I've not been there before."

BY2K

Membero Americo
He also says: "Here there's a beacon. I've made it so there's always a beacon near where I wrap, just for this."

So he does say the demo was SOMEWHAT scripted for E3.

From the E3 2015 Demo.

Sean Murray on Stage: "I'm gonna do something really stupid. I'm gonna pick one of these (planets) at random. And we can go there. Now this was ok in rehearsal, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But if anything horrible goes wrong just keep in mind that I've not been there before."

Maybe he was scared of a crash.

Zomba13

From the E3 2015 Demo.

Yeah. They way he did the presentation made it seem like it was random, but just a tweaked build where they could have it set so they always warp in to a space station, the first planet is always close by, always has a beacon close by, always has live and flora etc but from the files it makes it look like it wasn't even just random with the odds stacked in their favour, but just straight up scripted and fixed.

I mean, it doesn't change anything about the game, you can still do everything that was done in the presentation (except for the bit where he warps multiple thousand light years. At least I can't yet and you might with a better warp drive, I dunno, I'm still saying its ok though), but it does kind of sting a bit that this one, small, indie company that seemed to be showing all the big companies how it's done just does the same stuff they do, lie on stage and exaggerate features. It's just disappointing even if I am enjoying the game and feel it is 99% what I expected it to be.

jblank83

So, basically, the most basic data that only NEEDS to be transmitted is your X, Y, Z coordinates and when you are on-foot, a simple 0 or 1 modifier. That's the data I would search for.

The people catching packets have found nothing regarding location data. The only data transmission seems to be discoveries. People need to accept it and move on.

g9AFU0g.jpg

https://my.mixtape.moe/vxhnde.webm

Amazing

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I mean, it doesn't change anything about the game, you can still do everything that was done in the presentation (except for the bit where he warps multiple thousand light years.

Even meet two battling factions engaged in a space battle? (I asked this also in the review thread because it caught my attention, I don't remember seeing this in the streams)

Even meet two battling factions engaged in a space battle? (I asked this also in the review thread because it caught my attention, I don't remember seeing this in the streams)

Yes I have encountered this.

I engaged in the wrong enemy and automatically I got wanted stars and was murdered.

From the E3 2015 Demo.

image.php

komplanen

From the E3 2015 Demo.

So he lied about the E3 demo just like he lied about the online multiplayer. Huh, makes you think...

mike6467

What else is he hiding? Is Sean Murray even his real name

"I mean what is a name, really? A sound? A sound you make to get someone's attention. "Sean...."...."Sean..." Is that really who I am? Is that me? That sound? I'd say I'm a lot more then that."

Back on topic, I'm really hoping to see positive mod-ability information out of this, if that's a no go I'm not sure they'll see my money until we see some really good sales.

Pit

Does the data mining help us at all with other mods? I see that possibly texture mods could be a thing, what about removing the height limit on flying for example?

Hugo_Peters

Neo Member
Does the data mining help us at all with other mods? I see that possibly texture mods could be a thing, what about removing the height limit on flying for example?

There are a set of global values in the data concering different areas of the game:

X7KTWFL.png

It'll be some poking around but I suspect a lot can be modded through these files. Unfortunately they're all binary so no idea what each value refers to from the surface.

Justified

Wrong. It all depends on what terms Sony imposed on Hello Games that make them interrupt and change the topic of conversation whenever another platform is mentioned during interviews.

Thats because Sony has the marketing rights.

The parity clause will determine if MS picks it up or not (If, and When Hello Games even decides to bring it over)

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
From the E3 2015 Demo.

History's greatest salesman

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
History's greatest salesman

Nah not to anybody who was paying attention. Too many people bought into his shy bashful harmless persona. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he totally hams it up in order to win your favor. Said the exact same thing about the insert in the games. A lot saw through it and were called cynical. It was just obvious what he was doing.

Nah not to anybody who was paying attention. Too many people bought into his shy bashful harmless persona. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he totally hams it up in order to win your favor. Said the exact same thing about the insert in the games. A lot saw through it and were called cynical. It was just obvious what he was doing.

msdstc
Incredibly Naive

Jimrpg

I wonder if it's possible to put in a brand new seed number in the PC version through modding and get a different universe to play in? And if that's possible, maybe even change up the algorithm.

Blam

I wonder if it's possible to put in a brand new seed number in the PC version through modding and get a different universe to play in? And if that's possible, maybe even change up the algorithm.

I know it is possible. I can try changing it.

Speely

Banned

I was guilty of buying it even though I am normally pretty skeptical. I think I just really wanted to believe in the line he was delivering. Sometimes it's nice to hope even if it's hopeless. Was a really good hype train ride, and now I have a relaxing, pretty little resource gathering game I suppose. Would
will
get fooled again.

Jeffrey

with this pretty much being an offline game, I assume there isn't steamguard or anything to disencourage goofing around with cheatengine right?

Kinda just want to 'god mode' around the universe without all the grind stuff.

I'm still torn on this. I can still buy him being a shy, bashful dude, and him not hamming it up.

I think he's also a dude trying to sell a product and he oversold his game on things he couldn't deliver on. He's not special, being shy doesn't mean you are incapable of overpromising.

Top Bottom