• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFer is data mining through No Man's Sky (PC)

MattFiler

Neo Member
Had a quick look with Notepad++ to see if I could find anything remotely referencing online play, matchmaking or just multiplayer in general.

Found this inside the exe:
FbLRddI.png

Maybe there was multiplayer at one point (or still is)? Can't see why Steam matchmaking would be referenced otherwise.

Unknown?

Wouldn't surprise me at all...
- Joe Danger eventually found its way onto Xbox.
- Chris Charla is on record of saying he would like the game on the platform, so the parity clause won't be an issue.
- When Sean was asked about a possible Xbox version, a Sony PR guy stepped in and changed the subject.

It likely won't be for a long time though. They're a small team and have to work on the current versions. Also since there's still evidence of PS3/360 it could be leftovers from when it was planned to be on Xbox One but no longer is the case.

AlfeG

Had a quick look with Notepad++ to see if I could find anything remotely referencing online play, matchmaking or just multiplayer in general.

FbLRddI.png

Maybe there was multiplayer at one point (or still is)? Can't see why Steam matchmaking would be referenced otherwise.

I guess those strings are from Steam SDK lib

Blam

Where was this confirmed?

Just a few pages back. It's using a modified version of Unity.

FbLRddI.png

Not in GOG version. It's just a Steamworks SDK reference. They will show up in just about any game that has it on steam.

MattFiler

Neo Member
Within "NMSARC.B9700502.pak" there seems to be a number of sound events referencing server searching (and other server-related activities).

8D81sBM.png

hodgy100

That's not the issue. Most of the people know that. The issue is that he pretended that it's not scripted.

well yeah because the vision was that the end product would behave somewhat like the presentation without having to be scripted. thats kind of the point, the point is trailers isnt to show the current state of development but what the game will try to be.

Seiniyta

Nope. And seemingly no crashed frigates on planets either.

I think they took it out to bundle them with the update where you can own freighter ships. Probably was a visual thing anyway where you'd just get some tech.

Though the ship in the trailer, wasn't that really just one of the larger regular ships?

shandy706

Within "NMSARC.B9700502.pak" there seems to be a number of sound events referencing server searching (and other server-related activities).

8D81sBM.png

What does this mean?

Communication between the game and servers? Communication between multiple servers?

I'd hazard a guess that maybe it's from an old build of the game where you could manually select which server you wanted to join. Just extracting the audio files to try and hear what each event sounds like.

Ah ok, cool

MattFiler

Neo Member
What does this mean?

Communication between the game and servers? Communication between multiple servers?

I'd hazard a guess that maybe it's from an old build of the game where you could manually select which server you wanted to join. Just extracting the audio files to try and hear what each event sounds like.

Are there any planets with aquatic life either?

Indeed! I'm on my first planet with an ocean currently and named a derpy-looking shark thing I discovered there "Larry". Exploring underwater (especially with an Aeration Membrane installed) is incredibly relaxing.

Man the things gamers do.

Indeed. I'm all for the info gleaned from data mining though; the technical breakdown of what makes something tick is always fun for me to explore, and given that I genuinely enjoy the game, makes it even more interesting to see how things are stitched together.

A bonus being that the tinfoil hat crowd-- or just the downright shitty and mean-spirited posts that have been flooding NMS threads-- have also certainly been giving my Ignore button a workout.

MattFiler

Neo Member

8D81sBM.png

Following on from this I've exported/converted a few of the sound files and uploaded them to Soundcloud to see if anyone can recognise them.

If they're related to uploading items then we can conciser this a dead end, otherwise it's worth looking at the UI scripts.

BurtSampson

Neo Member
well yeah because the vision was that the end product would behave somewhat like the presentation without having to be scripted. thats kind of the point, the point is trailers isnt to show the current state of development but what the game will try to be.

this is some of the worst attempted damage controlling I've ever heard

Alebrije

The unicycle model means that when you walk on a surface the movement that you see is the imitation of a man on an unicycle and not just walking ? Also when you fly with the jet pack you keep the unicycle on on your feets and land with it?

Jeffrey

wonder how long before mods for better inventory management appears.

Is it at least possible to increase the speed for the 'hold to confirm' action?

theultimo

I haven't parsed it completely yet, but seeing actual source code and dev comments i the files is really odd. A lot of extra data.

MattFiler

Neo Member
Just spotted some interesting lines in the English localisation files.

"Suddenly, all my systems are stored and repaired. An unseen replication of my own self and exosuit stalks around the edge of the monolith. It screams in an ancient tongue while forcing me down onto my knees."

"The doppelganger first places its boltcaster to my forehead, and then mimes cutting my belly open with the mining beam. It smiles pleasantly. I am to choose my desired execution."

"The doppelganger leaves me a multi-tool technology blueprint."

There are a few more like this and some relate to fighting or trading blueprints. Could this perhaps be what happens when you meet another player?

Justified

"Suddenly, all my systems are stored and repaired. An unseen replication of my own self and exosuit stalks around the edge of the monolith. It screams in an ancient tongue while forcing me down onto my knees."

"The doppelganger first places its boltcaster to my forehead, and then mimes cutting my belly open with the mining beam. It smiles pleasantly. I am to choose my desired execution."

There are a few more like this and some relate to fighting or trading blueprints. Could this perhaps be what happens when you meet another player?

I wouldnt think so, you always get a little story like that when inspecting Monoliths, and it you make the right decision you receive an items of some sort (like blueprints)

Cess007

I don't think so. I've read the last quote after visiting an Alien Ruin; it's just that the ruin shows a vision of yourself and you're left with a choice. If you choose correctly, that's the text it reads after.

Well damnit.

Grave-site thing?
When you die, you leave behind a "grave" which you need to seek out upon respawning to get your stuff back. Perhaps you can only find the graves of people who have died and didn't retrieve their things? I wonder if the intitial two players that did this test tried that.
You can find other players' graves and loot them.
Wait is this actually possible?

Top Bottom