• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFer is data mining through No Man's Sky (PC)

Parham

Banned
We can talk about both level-headed.

I meant in the context of people arguing about the definition of multiplayer, as Netherscourge did earlier. That conversation is tired at this point. I don't see anything wrong with talking about what hints at multiplayer, or lack thereof, lie in the game's data though.

with this pretty much being an offline game, I assume there isn't steamguard or anything to disencourage goofing around with cheatengine right?

Kinda just want to 'god mode' around the universe without all the grind stuff.

If you're talking about getting VAC banned, you'll be fine. That only happens on Valve games. I think they tried it with Dark Souls 2 but eventually dropped it because of the backlash.

AU Tiger

Another ingame screen.

cf1UabQ.jpg

Cosmic Sans?

:D

Procedually generated Shai-Hulud being a lie is actually a big disapointment for me. :(

(Bought the game and have been playing and having some fun)

Jimrpg

Nah not to anybody who was paying attention. Too many people bought into his shy bashful harmless persona. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he totally hams it up in order to win your favor. Said the exact same thing about the insert in the games. A lot saw through it and were called cynical. It was just obvious what he was doing.

I have to agree here, it was too obvious.

I was guilty of buying it even though I am normally pretty skeptical. I think I just really wanted to believe in the line he was delivering. Sometimes it's nice to hope even if it's hopeless. Was a really good hype train ride, and now I have a relaxing, pretty little resource gathering game I suppose. Would
will
get fooled again.

I am guilty of buying it because I'm tired of ignoring decent games because GAF hated it or critics hated it. NMS is a decent game and I'm happy I bought it the last damn hour. HOWEVER, the game is lacking so much substance that I'm seriously considering asking Sony for refund.

CryptiK

Haha, way to jump to conclusions here. I know you've convinced yourself this is all a big lie, but let's at least wait until we hear a more concrete answer from Hello and this guys finishes his mining before making blanket accusations.
The fact that he dodged questions and reactions so blatantly when two players met up, the fact that there has been zero comment based on the multiple meet ups even though people have been asking simple questions, the fact that there has been nothing in the game files to point to MP being included, ans the fact that the game doesnt transmit movement data to the NMS servers VS the fact that he said it was in the game.

So no jumping to conclusions here at all. The people that still believe its in the game are delusional at this point.

Corine

If you're talking about getting VAC banned, you'll be fine. That only happens on Valve games. I think they tried it with Dark Souls 2 but eventually dropped it because of the backlash.

Well that's not true. Over 300 games use VAC. No clue about NMS.

I am guilty of buying it because I'm tired of ignoring decent games because GAF hated it or critics hated it. NMS is a decent game and I'm happy I bought it the last damn hour. HOWEVER, the game is lacking so much substance that I'm seriously considering asking Sony for refund.

Isn't that the reason you listen to feedback?

I too think it's lacking substance, but I look forward to coming home from a stressful day of work and zoning out for a bit. It's definitely good for that.

Tahnit

Banned
is it possible with this data mining that a mod could be made to get the game to actually run at 1080p and not 720p upscaled to 1080p?

DataGhost

Even if you do data mine through the game, you can't exactly reproduce the code to see if there is a framework or anything in the code to have support for the game being able to interact with others correct?

I'm not defending that the game has multiplayer. Most of the evidence has pointed to no and my patience is at its limit, where I don't really believe that after this PC launch that they were able to implement it as nothing has shown up otherwise. The only last bastion would be the code but that doesn't really show for much.

Lucifon

The fact that he dodged questions and reactions so blatantly when two players met up, the fact that there has been zero comment based on the multiple meet ups even though people have been asking simple questions, the fact that there has been nothing in the game files to point to MP being included, ans the fact that the game doesnt transmit movement data to the NMS servers VS the fact that he said it was in the game.

So no jumping to conclusions here at all. The people that still believe its in the game are delusional at this point.

Not to mention the fact that on Twitter Sean has just completely ignored the questions about multiplayer. There's been zero mention of the topic since, just continues as if it never happened.

Very interested to see this fully datamined though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not to mention the fact that on Twitter Sean has just completely ignored the questions about multiplayer. There's been zero mention of the topic since, just continues as if it never happened.

With each passing day, it looks more and more likely that Hello isn't going to address the matter until after the two-week refund window on Steam pre-orders closes.

The Xbox One version is probably coming a few months, maybe 4-5 down the line if I had to guess.

The lack of a "console exclusive" sticker all but confirmed that a while back.

Parham

Banned
That'd explain the ridiculous crashes.
I'm guessing this is a joke post, but, in case it isn't, the NMS engine probably branched off from Unity so long ago that it likely shares very little resemblance with the original engine. Given development started in 2012, it's entirely possible the underlying engine was Unity 3 or even a very early version of Unity 4. There's very little chance a game like this could be made in Unity, especially 3 or 4, without making significant changes to the engine's innards. Of course, all of this is assuming it's actually based on Unity.

I'm guessing this is a joke post, but, in case it isn't, the NMS engine probably branched off from Unity so long ago that it likely shares very little resemblance with the original engine. Given development started in 2012, it's entirely possible the underlying engine was Unity 3 or even a very early version of Unity 4. There's very little chance a game like this could be made in Unity, especially 3 or 4, without making significant changes to the engine's innards. Of course, all of this is assuming it's actually based on Unity.
Nah I was just shitposting.

Unity get a bad rap because of some particularly bad titles, but none of them even come close to NMS.

hodgy100

So the whole demo was scripted!?

From the E3 2015 Demo.

Sean Murray on Stage: "I'm gonna do something really stupid. I'm gonna pick one of these (planets) at random. And we can go there. Now this was ok in rehearsal, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But if anything horrible goes wrong just keep in mind that I've not been there before."

He also says: "Here there's a beacon. I've made it so there's always a beacon near where I wrap, just for this."

So he does say the demo was SOMEWHAT scripted for E3.

All E3 demos are scripted they are literally made as a public vertical slice, they exist to give the viewers an idea of what the end target of the game it, they are made to give the impression of what the finished product will (hopefully) be. The game isn't finished at that point so expecting them to just drop in and play the game is ridiculous as much of the functionality doesn't exist or will be unfinished or buggy.

hodgy100

Nah I was just shitposting.

Unity get a bad rap because of some particularly bad titles, but none of them even come close to NMS.

if it's running the Playstation SDK underneath it could be Phyre engine?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
All E3 demos are scripted they are literally made as a public vertical slice, they exist to give the viewers an idea of what the end target of the game it, they are made to give the impression of what the finished product will (hopefully) be. The game isn't finished at that point so expecting them to just drop in and play the game is ridiculous as much of the functionality doesn't exist or will be unfinished or buggy.

That's not the issue. Most of the people know that. The issue is that he pretended that it's not scripted.

SomTervo

Do portals exist in the game?

Yeah, somebody in the OT found one but it wasn't active. You could just walk through the loop where the stargate would appear. There was no sign of how to activate it.

I'm almost certain they are in the game because the trailer which revealed them demonstrated a fully viewable and functional portal - IIRC the player even walked into it. The build looked very similar to what we have right now.

Blam

Like I've said it's a heavily modified version of Unity you can see it in all the gamespot videos of the game. It might not resemble the newest version at all but it's underlying GUI is still the same with a few things added to it.

Based on what? Didn't see any mention of that yet.

edit: nevermind, maybe its left overs?

Nah not left overs.

Yeah, somebody in the OT found one but it wasn't active. You could just walk through the loop where the stargate would appear. There was no sign of how to activate it.

I'm almost certain they are in the game because the trailer which revealed them demonstrated a fully viewable and functional portal - IIRC the player even walked into it. The build looked very similar to what we have right now.

From what I've seen so far it's made it into the base game. As all the textures are still in and the settings for it maybe there is something you need to do to get it to turn on?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How does that clear up anything? So he lied and was super vague

Huh? Those sentences aren't contradictory in the slightest, nor do those files refute what he said (nor do any of them come even remotely close to being a "lie"). That they assigned a bunch of special rules to the E3 demo to make sure that they would be able to show certain things, which he said clear as day, doesn't preclude the planet that he actually landed on from being a random choice in any way. And he also mentioned the special rules that they put in in numerous media interviews when showing off how the procedural layers work.

Seems more like you just chose to hear what you wanted to hear.

Blam

Even if you do data mine through the game, you can't exactly reproduce the code to see if there is a framework or anything in the code to have support for the game being able to interact with others correct?

I'm not defending that the game has multiplayer. Most of the evidence has pointed to no and my patience is at its limit, where I don't really believe that after this PC launch that they were able to implement it as nothing has shown up otherwise. The only last bastion would be the code but that doesn't really show for much.

It's not that. There are no UI elements no mention of anything related to seeing someone else. At all in any part of the game.

It just simple isn't there.

Top Bottom