• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's "Greatest Games of All Time" 2011 Edition (Voting ends Feb. 13 11:59 P.M PST)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
1: Phantasy Star 2
2: Rez
3: Star Ocean 2
4: Phantasy Star 1
5: Phantasy Star 4
6: Valkyrie Profile
7: Dragon Quest 5
8: Final Fantasy 5
9: The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
10: ESPGaluda

The Phantasy Star series are my absolute favorites because they were truly mindblowing at the time of release. I really loved Final Fantasy 1 so playing a similar game, with amazing 3D dungeons and PLANETARY TRAVEL was revolutionary for me. The glossy early 90's style anime designs, sophisticated stories for their time, challenging dungeons, sci-fi themes... all were so amazing.

Rez totally captivated me with its brilliant visuals and soundtrack. I of course absolutely love electronic dance music, so combining that with revolutionary visuals influenced by Kandinsky and the SEGA panache was like heaven.

Star Ocean 2 is another one of the greatest games I've ever played. The scope of the game was incredible - the number of items you can find or create with its robust crafting system... the multiple endings based on how you interact with your party members... optional dungeons, a huge cast of characters (some of them hidden), tons of content tucked away in all the little corners, a fast and furious combat engine that makes combat fun... This game sold me on tri-Ace, who, while they've had quite a few misses lately, can still make an amazing game if they tried.

Valkyrie Profile I loved for its unorthodox approach to progression, sprawling 2D sidescroller dungeons, and its timing-based battle system. The gloomy Norse setting was pretty cool, and pretty original, too.

Dragon Quest 5 is the pinnacle of the DQ series to me. The multi-generational heartfelt story combined with classic gameplay is a winner. Likewise, Final Fantasy 5 is my favorite in the FF series. Namely due to the interesting (yet still fairly balanced) job system and one of my favorite Nobuo soundtracks ever.

Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda. As a kid, the original Zelda was such an awesome experience that I fell in love with right away (it was one of the first games I ever played after SMB), but the SNES game takes what made Zelda 1 so great and improved on it a million times over. It established a formula that is still used 20 years later.

ESPGaluda, well I love shoot em ups, and this would have to be my favorite. The whole "kakusei" system of slowing down time is absolutely genius, making the game a bit more manageable to play for those who suck at bullet-hell. Steampunk setting, and great music round out the package.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
1. Out of This World / Another World (multi-platform)
2. Phantasmagoria (PC)
3. Parappa the Rapper (PSX)
4. Elite Beat Agents (DS)
5. River City Ransom (NES)
6. Maniac Mansion (PC and NES)
7. Postal (PC)
8. Earthbound (SNES)
9. The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii)
10. Burn:Cycle (PC and CD-i)

Close:
the Advance Wars series, Kirby's Adventure, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars Battlefront, Max Payne 2, Red Faction, Sin and Punishment, Phoenix Wright, Jet Grind Radio, Blade Runner, and some others that I can't think of at the moment.

ultron87

1: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
2: Shadow of the Colossus
3: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4: Chrono Trigger
5: Tribes 2
6: Portal
7: Deus Ex
8: Freespace 2
9: World of Warcraft
10: Super Smash Bros: Melee

That was rough. Might edit in some descriptive text once I'm not at work.

1: Suikoden II
2: Fallout 3
3: Legend of Zelda, The: A Link to the Past
4: Legend of Zelda, The: Ocarina of Time
5: Legend of Zelda, The: Twilight Princess
6: Legend of Zelda, The: Wind Waker
7: Super Mario Galaxy 2
8: Super Mario Bros. 2/USA
9: Illusion of Gaia
10: Earthbound

mr stroke

1. Final Fantasy 6(SNES)
2. Final Fantasy 7(PS1)
3. Half Life 2(PC)
4. Command and Conquer 1(PC)
5. Super Mario World (SNES)
6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past(SNES)
7. Metal Gear Solid 4(PS3)
8. Uncharted 2(PS3)
9. Star Craft 2(PC)
10. Far Cry(PC)

Boerseun

Banned
1: King's Quest 5: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder
2: The Secret of Monkey Island
3: Mean Streets
4: Star Trek: 25th Anniversary
5: Wing Commander 2
6: Civilization 2
7: Ultima 7: The Black Gate
8: Darklands
9: Duke Nukem 3D
10: Sanitarium

savor100

1: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2: Uncharted 2
3: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
4: Super Mario Galaxy
5: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
6: Bioshock
7: Super Mario 64
8: Starcraft
9: Resident Evil
10: No More Heroes

datruth29

1) X-Com
2) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3) SMB3
4) Starcraft 2
5) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6) Civilization 4
7) Dues Ex
8) Rome: Total War
9) Resident Evil 4
10) Zone of the Enders 2

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Metal Gear Solid
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Metal Gear Solid 2
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Deus Ex
7. Mass Effect
8. Shadow of the Colossus
9. Final Fantasy VII
10. Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Demon's Souls, MGS3, Ikaruga, Persona 4, Street Fighter IV, Gears of War, Bayonetta, WoW, GTA III...

1: Final Fantasy VI
2: Shadow of the Colossus
3: Resident Evil 4
4: Super Mario Bros. 3
5: Half-Life 2
6: Xenogears
7: Mega Man 2
8: ICO
9: Chrono Trigger
10: Super Metroid

1: Zelda : Majora's Mask
2: Super Mario Galaxy
3: Yoshi's Island
4: Zelda : Ocarina of Time
5: Super Mario Bros. 3
6: Metal Gear Solid 3
7: Zelda : Link's Awakening
8: Wario Ware
9: Rock Band
10: Ouendan

2San

1: Shadow of the Colossus
2: Lineage II
3: Battlefield 2
4: Gears of War 2
5: Zone of the Enders:2nd Runner
6: Unreal Tournament('99)
7: Mass Effect 2
8: Metal Gear Solid
9: Final Fantasy X
10: Pokemon Red/Blue

windfish

1: Terranigma
2: Super Metroid
3: Zelda: Majora's Mask
4: Dragon Quest VIII
5: Monster Hunter Tri
6: Goldeneye 64
7: Shenmue
8: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
9: The Secret of Monkey Island
10: Pokemon Red

God dammit where do i put
TWEWY,
DemonSouls,
No More Heroes,
Meteos,
ISS Deluxe,
Patapon,
Grim Fandango,
Zelda Links Awakening,
Killer 7
and Secret of Mana now??
HEEELLP!

..oh and RE4,FFVIII,Yakuza,Okami and Super Mario Galaxy :( i'am so sorry

TheKurgan

No real explanation, just my opinion

1. Diablo II
2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Halo: Combat Evolved
5. Starcraft
6. GTA 3
7. Star Wars: KOTOR
8. Half Life
9. Uncharted 2
10. Heroes of Might and Magic 3

• 1: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
  • 2: Resident Evil 4
  • 3: Shadow of the Colossus
  • 4: Princess Maker 2
  • 5: Metal Gear Solid 3
  • 6: Gunz: The Duel
  • 7: Monster Hunter
  • 8: Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
  • 9: ESP Galuda II
  • 10: Ninja Gaiden: Black

It's kind of odd that forever after, we will have this GAF greatest game of all time with about 1% of gaf voting. The best part will be the complaints by everyone who doesn't vote about 'lulz, GAF being GAF'

John

1: Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
2: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
3: Half-Life 2: Episode Two
4: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
5: Portal
6: The Darkness
7: Painkiller
8: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
9: God of War
10: Final Fantasy IX

KevinCow

Banned
1: Metroid Prime
2: Donkey Kong Country 2
3: Donkey Kong Country Returns
4: Metroid Prime 2
5: Mega Man 9
6: Metroid Zero Mission
7: Super Metroid
8: Metroid Prime 3
9: F-Zero GX
10: Super Mario 64

...What? I like Metroid. A lot.

gibration

1: Metal Gear Solid
2: Uncharted 2
3: Resident Evil 4
4: Metal Gear Solid 3
5: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
6: Super Street Fighter IV
7: Metal Gear Solid 2
8: Red Dead Redemption
9: Gran Turismo 3
10: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

ithorien

1: Final Fantasy X
2: Mass Effect 2
3: Half-Life
4: Metal Gear Solid 2
5: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
6: F.E.A.R.
7: Legend of Zelda Link to the Past
8: Final Fantasy VII
9: Darksiders
10: Super Mario World

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
1: Planescape: Torment
2: Starcraft
3: Super Mario Bros.
4: Burnout Paradise
5: Chrono Trigger
6: Heroes of Might and Magic III
7: Metal Gear Solid
8: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
9: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
10: World of Warcraft

1. Zelda Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario Bros.
3. HALO REACH
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Kid Icarus
6. HALO Combat Evolved
7. BioShock
8. HALO 2
9. Portal
10. COD 4 Modern Warfare

1: Final Fantasy VI - First Final Fantasy where the characters were memorable, but none of them was the main protagonist. With the equipped magicite, you can customize your character's attributes as they level up, increase HP or MP and permanently learn spells with AP. Able to make your powerhouse melee guy become your most powerful healer? You betcha! With a cast as diverse as this one, there is something for everyone.

2: Metal Gear Solid - First introduction into the series and I was reckless. I go charging in guns blazing accept, I had no guns! I redid my strategy and avoided confrontation unless it's necessary. Fighting against overwhelming odds in boss battles with the adrenaline pumping. Sometimes I felt like Rambo and other times like Agent 007. Snake is both!

3: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - Dating sim plus dungeon crawler plus maintaining high grades in your class. Who knew being a teenage high schooler could be so hard and time consuming? Why not date them all you say? Well, there is a hefty penalty and it reverses your social link. A lot of funny moments, especially with Junpei including seasonal events how everyone grows. Maintaining the social links may seem like a chore, but it's helpful in unlocking your ultimate persona from that link. After a while, everyone seems needy!

4: Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - Who wants to be a bad vampire? Your discretion to the human populace is entirely up to you. Going through supernatural events would scare any warm blood, but your top of the food chain. Leaving a trail of dead bodies or stealthily steal what is rightfully yours.

5: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - What is a MAN? And the rest is history. All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. I heard this from my English class years ago, but it didn't stick with me until I played this game. Got every single ending and 200% on the map. Another nod if you played Castlevania 3. Games can be educational.

6: Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening - Not the special edition. The regular one where our Normal mode is the Japanese Hard mode. I haven't felt the need to throw the controller so much since playing Demon's Souls, but it was so rewarding taking down the bosses. Over the top action with 4 varying styles of play and Dante always being the badass that he is known for. This game exemplify his persona.

7: Valkyria Chronicles - Story is touching and your troops likes and dislikes are quite humorous when they're on the battlefield. Soon, you'll be checking who likes who, so you can put them in a squad to amplify their abilities. The art direction is something totally new with the canvas engine and going to boot camp wasn't so bad anymore. Who can say no to a sexy white haired bombshell. You know everyone's favorite Valkyria and her Ruhm which is so broken once equipped on Rosie.

8: Assassin's Creed 2 - It redeemed what AC drastically fell short of. Varying up the gameplay. stealth and distractions which is a godsend. Not the same old thing all over again. Improved gameplay with more weapons and an actual backstory to Ezio. I grew attached to him, through the worst of times, and the best of times. The settings of Venice during the masquerade brought the city and its citizens to life.

9: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - Freedom to customize your character anyway you want. Want a mage with ninja skills or your own idea of a spellsword. Played the original and the enhanced remake. Things that were broken on the PSOne are still broken on the remake. The enjoyment of playing through it all again was fun.

10: Bioshock - The ideas of of a new utopia gone awry. Everything revolves around Adam and your way of receiving that resource is entirely up to you. The voice logs are all top notch. Everyone wants a piece of Rapture. Playing with the AI has gotten many laughs from me.

Honorable Mentions:
Max Payne
Demon's Souls
Elders Scroll III: Morrowind
Nier
Finally Fantasy VII
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 4
Starcraft
Chrono Trigger
Deus Ex

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
2: Super Mario 64
3: Chrono Trigger
4: Final Fantasy 6
5: Advance Wars
6: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
7: Dragon Age: Origins
8: Grim Fandango
9: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
10: Gears of War

damn guys, the OP has to go through hundreds of posts, laid out very simple rules and half of you couldn't be assed to follow them? Its just 10 lines that you can copy and paste. As well thought out as your choices might be the fact you couldn't play by the rules kinda lowers the value of your posts for me.

Some quick justification for mine - I've stuck to one game per franchise.

Absolutely seminal game, profound achievement, real work of art. It's interesting because it probably seems limited now but actually those limitations are it's strengths imo and show a surprisingly sophisticated side of Nintendo that I'm not sure we've seen since (granted I don't know how much of it was luck/coincidence due to N64 limitations). The story telling in this game is so well done because of the way Nintendo chose to tell it. It's not done via cut scenes, it's not amazingly scripted dialogue trees, it's a story that you live and experience. Life's greatest experiences never have a narrator after all and something only becomes a legend when someone looks back on it. OoT is one of the few Nintendo stories you could write an essay on.

Masterpiece in game and level design, perfect mechanics, perfect pace and setting, and utterly unlike anything we'd ever seen before. With one hand re-invented the platform genre in 3D whilst almost killing it with the other. No one could live up to Mario 64, not even Nintendo themselves with Sunshine and this almost caused the death of the genre. We saw many platform mascots by the wayside as they struggled to emulate this game.

3: Chrono Trigger
4: Final Fantasy 6

5: Advance Wars
Gone for the first game as it's the one with the purest and most balanced mechanics for me. Strategy gaming perfection, each map and mission, each unit and special ability feels so perfectly conceived and balanced.

6: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
The AC series for me is the pinnacle of open world game design. Amazingly beautiful surroundings combined with one of the best control schemes result in an incredibly enthusiastic approach to traversing the world. When you see a building, you just run into it and Ezio starts climbing and jumping. I love the feeling of chaining long combos together as 15 guys charge you at once. The story is unlike anything else in gaming, with conspiracies and cliffhangers that have been meticulously planned and delivered with aplomb. Hats off to Ubisoft, apart from AC 1 they've created my franchise of the generation.

7: Dragon Age: Origins
Outdid modern Final Fantasy for me, gave me a great cast of likable characters and a doomsday scenario for a world I cared about and had influence over. The amount of lore was brilliant, the battles fun. But what got me was the decision making and dialogue, loved it way more than any other game, the dialogue was genuinely fun and interesting most of the time and I ended up feeling like I'd created a real bond with my crew. Not something that can be said about most RPGs nowadays with generic this and generic that.

8: Grim Fandango
Best adventure game of all time. Such an amazing idea, and superb execution. I am so sorry another game hasn't been made in this universe. Imagination pours from every angle and the humour is up there with the best in gaming history.

9: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Peak of Kojima's career.

10: Gears of War
Thought long and hard about this one. Gears 2 has tainted my opinion somewhat but when I think back to how much I loved Gears 1 I decided to run with it. It was my first xbox live title and that goes a long way to being top 10. I played the entire campaign in co-op and it was a great experience, lots of fun, lots of frustration and arguably not many games have done co-op campaign as well since. I loved the multiplayer as well. I was so hooked. It was the first shooter where I mastered every weapon, every map, and got myself to a point where big clans were inviting me to join them. Its the only xbox live title where I would join random games and make friends with people in the session and end up playing with them for months afterwards in epic gears sessions. Aside from this its also a brilliantly designed multiplayer, for me it was perfection. Gears 2 is an abomination in comparison, but Gears 1 (bad netcode aside) is a masterpiece. Another game where you could write essays picking apart elements of game design worthy of admiration. If Epic hadn't screwed up Gears 2 this would probbaly be my franchise of the generation and I'd probably still be playing gears mp instead of COD.

1: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
2: Wipeout XL
3: Rez
4: R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
5: Earth Defense Force 2017
6: Demon's Souls
7: Chrono Trigger
8: Ico
9: Halo: Combat Evolved
10: World of Warcraft

this list doesn't feel totally right. ask me tomorrow and the back 4 would probably change.

honorable mentions to:

Deadly Premonition, Nier, Mass Effect, Streets of Rage 2, Ikaruga, Mushihimesama Futari, Mars Matrix, Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario Bros. 2, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, SSX, Shadow of the Colossus, Gradius V, Bayonetta, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Quake, Unreal Tournament

Magnus

1: World of Warcraft
2: Chrono Trigger
3: Final Fantasy VII
4: Final Fantasy VI
5: Metal Gear Solid
6: Super Mario Galaxy
7: Resident Evil 4
8: Warcraft III
9: Half-Life 2
10: Portal

I don't know how to order these, or what the criteria for best of all time is. Most influential? Most important? My personal favorites? Etc.

I (think I) feel guilty for omitting Zelda and Metroid titles from the list, considering how important and influential they were to gaming history. They're just experiences that don't stand up to my memories when I go back and try and replay them. Both franchises are just broken to me, beaten into the ground, tirelessly boring.

Kettch

1: Terranigma
2: Xenogears
3: Star Control II
4: X-wing
5: Command & Conquer
6: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
7: TimeSplitters 2
8: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
9: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
10: Dragon Wars

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
1: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
2: Baldur's Gate II
3: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
4: Mass Effect
5: Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne
6: Super Metroid
7: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
8: Resident Evil 4
9: Pokemon Gold & Silver
10: Perfect Dark

Honourable mentions: Bayonetta, Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Mario 3, Super Mario 64, Advance Wars, Half-Life.

1: Metroid Prime
2: Rock Band 2
3: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
4: Resident Evil 4
5: Mass Effect
6: Half-Life 2
7: Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
8: God of War
9: Halo 2
10: Animal Crossing: Wild World

Some might be weird choices, but whatever. They're my favorites. Some of my best memories come from visiting a friend's town in AC. Or Harvesting the best crops in HM for hours.

bj00rn_

Banned

1: Tetris
3: Dungeon Master
4: Sid Meier's Civilization
5: Doom
6: Dune 2
7: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
8: Halo: Combat Evolved
9: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
10: Grand Theft Auto III

1. Street Fighter 2
2. Super Mario Bros.
3. Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate
4. Ridge Racer
5. Final Fantasy VII
6. Street Fighter 4
7. Wipeout XL
8. WWF SuperStars
9. Double Dragon
10. Tekken 2

Azure J

I seriously need to treat Stump to a complimentary beer or something, because that bit on SMB3's Sky Land explains in a nutshell the essence of my intangible and near inability to put into writing why SMB3 remains my absolute favorite video game all these years later. His post also makes me realize that I needed to play FFVI like last week. :lol

My top ten currently looks something like this:

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 (please please please don't make me pick between the 2 <3)
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns
4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
5. Chrono Trigger
6. The World Ends With You
7. The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker
8. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
9. Mega Man X
10. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Honorable mentions go to Jet Set Radio, Star Foc 64, Pokemon Gold/Silver (& HeartGold/SoulSilver by the same token), Super Smash Bros. Series, Devil May Cry 3, & Bayonetta. Reasonings will be edited in.

Finalow

1: xenogears
2: final fantasy IX
3: persona 2 innocent sin
4: chrono trigger
5: final fantasy VI
6: final fantasy VII
7: valkyria chronicles
8: demon's souls
9: metal gear solid
10: uncharted 2

i know, a loads of jrpgs. :)

randomkid

I knew Stump would come with the Legend of Mana goodness, but I wasn't expecting a lovely paean to FF6. I gotta give Actraiser a try too, I know it's nothing like the sequel, but that was the only one I ever got and it's left me with an unfair lukewarm impression of the series.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
1: Deus Ex
2: Final Fantasy VII
3: Snatcher
4: Fallout 3
5: Mirror's Edge
6: Rez
7: Katamari Damacy
8: World of Warcraft
9: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
10: Portal

Feel very guilty for not including Mass Effect, Nethack, Shenmue, Drop7, Animal Crossing, Peggle, and numerous other things, but you gotta pick 10.

I'm loving the variety in this thread, it's making me want to play all kinds of things I haven't played for ages!

Cuisino

Neo Member
1: Final Fantasy VI
2: Monkey Island 2
3: Mass Effect 2
4: Super Mario Galaxy 2
5: Fallout 3
6: Oblivion
7: Super Mario World
8: Final Fantasy X
9: Final Fantasy XIII
10: Tokyo Bus Guide

Kawaii

1: Resident Evil 4
2: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
3: Super Mario Galaxy
4: Pokemon Silver/Gold
5: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
6: Mario Kart Double Dash
7: Advance Wars: Dual Strike
8: Tales of Symphonia
9: Portal
10: Team Fortress 2

totoro'd

2: Metal Gear Solid
3: Phantasy Star Online
4: Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
5: Chrono Cross
6: Grandia
7: Tales of the Abyss
8: Skies of Arcadia
9: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
10: Shenmue

Pepto

Banned
1: Shenmue 2
3: Street Fighter 2
4: Civilization 2
5: Tetris
6: Forza 3
7: Quake
8: Super Mario World
9: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
10: Mario Kart 64

1: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2: Shining Force III
3: Panzer Dragoon Saga
4: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
5: Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
6: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
7: Grandia
8: Prince of Persia (1989 video game)
9: Chrono Trigger
10: UFO: Enemy Unknown

Zelda 3 is just a beautifully put together game, with the most perfect pacing on how it opens its world to you. For me it's for me the pinnacle of the genre.

Shining Force 3 & Enemy Unknown are the best of Western & Japanese tactical games. Loved SF3's story & Enemy Unknown's management section. The battles have a lot to think about and don't feel unfair.

PDS, Grandia & Chrono Trigger are all great RPG's with interesting battle systems - tech's in CT, interrupting enemies attacks in Grandia, pretty much everything in PDS. Liked the story in all of them too.

Prince of Persia was my introduction to video games over 20 years ago, and I still love the concentration needed for exact jumps and fat guy onwards swordfighting.

DQV has an archaic battle system, but I can't put into words how much I love the story.

Finally MI2 & Fate of Atlantis are my favourite point & click games. Both are huge amounts of fun, MI2's multi island adventuring, and Fate's three paths were superb.

Brak

1: Alpha Centauri
2: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3: Super Mario World
4: Team Fortress 2
5: Super Mario 64
6: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7: Fire Emblem
8: Advance Wars
9: Left 4 Dead
10: Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat

Faddy

Banned
1: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3: Super Mario World
4: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
5: Street Fighter II Turbo
6: Ico
7: Mega Man 3
8: Portal
9: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
10: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. Demon's Souls
3. Metal Gear Solid 2
4. Half-life 2
5. Final Fantasy VIII
6. Halo: Combat Evolved
7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
8. Ninja Gaiden Black
9. Gran Turismo 4
10. Metroid Prime

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
2: Sonic The Hedgehog 2
3: Final Fantasy VIII
4: Tales of Symphonia
5: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
6: NBA JAM (Original)
7: Super Monkey Ball
8: Mass Effect 2
9: Starcraft 2
10: Mass Effect 1

Mr. Patch

1: Sonic 3 & Knuckles
2: Super Mario Bros. 3
3: Super Smash Bros. Melee
4: Super Mario Galaxy 2
5: Half-Life 2
6: SSX 3
7: Jet Set Radio
8: NBA Street Vol. 2
9: Unreal Tournament 2004
10: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - One of the few games that I can just play over and over again. I love everything about the game, especially the music. While there are games that are better at pure platforming than this one, I just enjoy this game too much.

Super Mario Bros 3. - One of the games in the running for best game ever created. This game is the standard every 2D platformer should want to meet. A decent challenge (for me, anyway), fun levels, and creative power-ups.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - I have wasted 121 hours of my life on this game... on just MY file. There is no telling how much I've played on my cousin's file every summer since this game was released. Not to mention I didn't have a memory when I first played this game. Melee is about as great as multiplayer gaming can get. It's simple enough for new players to get into, but just complex enough that the better player will almost always win.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Lightning somehow struck twice for Nintendo. They made an amazing game with Mario Galaxy, and somehow managed to top it. Great level design and great power-ups. The SMB3 of 3D platformers.

Half-Life 2 - I don't know how to describe this game other than an awesome experience. I liked how the game doesn't take you out of character as the story unfolds. Liked how tense the game could feel at times (Ravenholm). Great game.

SSX 3 - One of the most fun games ever. While the characters aren't as animated as they are in Tricky, SSX 3 makes up for it with it's tracks. The game does a great job of blending the traditional over-the-top style of racing the SSX series is known for with a mountain that takes the series' Untracked courses to new heights. Add in the Superpipe, Big Air, and Slopestyle events, and you have an awesome game.

Jet Set Radio - Has a unique style in its art, gameplay, and music. Running from the cops while having to stop and tag a wall then making an awesome getaway while the funky sounds of DJ Professor K blast through your speakers is something that cannot be duplicated.

NBA Street Vol. 2 - The most fun I've ever had with a basketball game. Create a player and go dunk on every motherfucker that dares stand in your way. Or get 3 different Michael Jordans and go HAM. Either way, shit will be talked and fun will be had.

Unreal Tournament 2004 - How I wish we could get even more multiplayer shooters like this today. Plenty of inventive weapons. So many mods (my favorite was Deathball). So many memories of blowing people up.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - One of the greatest looking games ever made. While the sailing is a bit tedious, exploring the world for treasure is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have in a game. Although the game is easy, the combat is very fun. Gotta love falling down a hole and then kicking the shit out a swarm of enemies.

Top Bottom