• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Greatest Games of All Time (Voting ends Nov. 16 11:59 P.M PST)

Ventrue

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Baldur's Gate II
3. Grim Fandango
4. Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
5. Half Life 2
6. Deus Ex
7. Neverwinter Nights II: Mask of the Betrayer
8. Icewind Dale
9. Homeworld
10. Mirror's Edge

Yes, Mirror's Edge.

Lime

1. Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat (PC, 1995)
2. Homeworld (PC, 1999)
3. Silent Hill 2 (PS2, 2001)
4. Grim Fandango (PC, 1997)
5. Starcraft (PC, 1998)
6. Okami (PS2, 2006)
7. Max Payne (PC, 2001)
8. God of War 2 (PS2, 2007)
9. Metal Gear Solid (PS1, 1998)
10. Half Life (PC, 1998)

Man, this makes me want to play all of these games again and again. They're all so extremely good.

Time to show of my shitty taste.

in no particular order.

1. Yoshi's Island
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario 64
3. Metal Gear Solid 4
4. Shadow of the Collosus
5. Pokemon Silver/Gold
6. BlazBlue
7.Kingdom Hearts 2
8. Sonic Adventure 2
9. Persona 4
10. Super Smash Bros. Melee

bluehat9

1. Mario 64 (N64)
2. Super Mario World (SNES)
3. Metal Gear Solid 1 (PS1)
4. Goldeneye (N64)
5. Bioshock (360)
6. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
7. Yoshi's Island (SNES)
8. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
9. Sly Cooper 1 (PS2)
10. Fallout 3 (360)

Yes, I am a Mario fanboy.

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. ICO
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
5. Grim Fandango
6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7. Chrono Trigger
8. Metroid Prime
9. Super Mario Galaxy
10. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

Jucksalbe

Banned
Man, that's hard. The first four to five ones are pretty much set, but I guess all the other ones are just up to my mood, at least in that order.

1. Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
2. Dragon Quest V (DS)
3. Persona 3 (PS2)
4. Super Mario 64 (N64)
5. Resident Evil 2 (PSX)
6. Zelda - A Link to the Past (SNES)
7. Disgaea (PS2/PSP)
8. Day of the Tentacle (PC)
9. Settlers 2 (PC)
10. Mega Man 2 (NES)

Honorable mentions: Valkyria Chronicles, Secret of Mana, Mirror's Edge, Ar Tonelico, many other FF and DQ titles, Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame, etc......I play too much. :lol

clip

topgames.png

1. Grim Fandango
2. Starcraft
3. Half-Life
4. Homeworld
5. Deus Ex
6. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
7. The Curse of Monkey Island
8. Half-Life 2: Episode 2
9. Full Throttle
10. Counter Strike

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Geeze, I know I'm going to forget something somewhere.

1. Grim Fandango
2. Ultima VII
3. World of Warcraft
4. Bioshock
5. Half-Life 2
6. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
8. Fallout 3
9. Civilization IV
10. Deus Ex

tonitoni

1 - Halo: Combat Evolved
2 - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
3 - Call of Duty 1
4 - Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now
5 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
6 - Half-Life 2
7 - Colin McRae Rally 2.0
8 - Max Payne
9 - Grim Fandango
10 - Warcraft III

Faulkner

Neo Member
It's always hard to make this kind of list, with so many great games out there :

1-Mother 3
2-Chrono Trigger
3-Super Metroid
4-Vagrant Story
5-Metal Gear Solid
6-ICO
7-Shadow of the Colossus
8-The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the past
9-Final Fantasy Tactics
10-Demon's Souls

1. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
2. Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
3. Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
4. Super Smash Bros Melee (GCN)
5. Goldeneye 007 (N64)
6. Mario Kart 64 (N64)
7. Super Mario World (SNES)
8. Mario Kart Double Dash (GCN)
9. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
10. Perfect Dark (N64)

1. Ocarina of time (N64)
2. Advance Wars 2 (GBA)
3. Resident Evil 4 (GC)
4. Super Mario World (SNES)
5. Quake III (PC)
6. Metal Gear Solid (Ps1)
7. Diablo II (PC)
8. Guitar Hero 3 (Wii)
9. F-Zero GX (GC)
10. Half life (PC)

Ocarina needs no introduction.
Advance Wars 2 is ranked second because it was the perfect handheld game, with incredible longevity. It improved the gameplay which was founded in Advance Wars 1 (and all the previous titles which we never saw here in EU), while keeping a great mix of complexity and tactics, which the later sequel screwed up.
Resident Evil 4 was amazing - I don't replay many games and I think RE4 got four playthroughs.
Super Mario World is a very fond memory of the golden days of 2D platforming, whiwh has stood the test of time.
Quake III, for refining FPS gaming in a way so pure and perfected, that I still measure other competetive games against it.
Metal Gear Solid was my first epic endeavour in gaming - It really expanded gaming while being an amazing experience at the same time. The fourth wall would never be the same again.
Diablo II - Click-click-click-click-CreAk! When a game is so great that you play it till your hardware breaks, you know it is one of the greatest games of all time.
Getting Guitar Hero 3 for my 22. birthday from my brother turned out to be the gift of the year. It is a game which convinces me that even though I have grown and the industry has changed, games can still provide pure simple fun.
F-Zero GX was my first meet with the series, and what a meet. It had speed, variety, challenges and amazing sounds and visuals. This game had the whole package.
Half-life was another of those games which changed how gaming was percieved. The singleplayer campaign was a counter strike to the bland story telling in FPS so far, the multiplayer was a portal to fun and the mod community kept the title alive long after it should have been left 4 dead. It doesn't rank higher on my list, because it simply didn't stand the test of time.

Reno7728

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Half Life 2
3. Company of Heroes
4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6. Half Life
7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
8. Team Fortress 2
9. Mass Effect
10. Left 4 Dead

FFChris

The hardest part will probably be the ordering..

#1 Final Fantasy 7
#2 Half Life
#3 Balders Gate
#4 Shogun: Total War
#5 Deus Ex
#6 Diablo 2
#7 Pokemon Red/Blue
#8 System Shock 2
#9 Secret of Monkey Island
#10 Resident Evil

I really wish the poll was done without ordering, all those games mean a lot to me in different ways.

Edit: Dammit, how could I forget Metal Gear Solid! That's the problem with these lists, just too many good games, I even forgot ICO.

I love how peoples ages and and the platforms they grew up with can be directly related to their lists as well. :lol

Koojay

1. GTA IV (PS3)
2. Uncharted 2 (PS3)
3. World of Warcraft (PC)
4. Psychonauts (Xbox)
5. Forza 3 (360)
6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
7. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (PC)
8. Team Fortress 2 (PC)
9. Audiosurf (PC)
10. Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)

1) A Link to the Past
2) Everquest
3) Super Mario 64
4) World of Warcraft
5) Pokemon Red/Blue
6) Fallout 3
7) Portal
8) Guitar Hero (franchise)
9) Half-Life 2
10) Mass Effect

In considering my favorite games, I factored in time spent playing, most fun had, most sucked in I was while playing and what has made me go "wow" the most.

Honorable Mentions:
Ocarina of Time
Super Mario World
Super Mario Galaxy
Link's Awakening
Team Fortress 2
Call of Duty 4
Resident Evil 2
Dead Space

olimpia84

This is going to be really hard. My list:

1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario World
3. Resident Evil (Remake for Gamecube)
4. Zelda: A Link to the Past
5. Okami
6. BioShock
7. Shenmue
8. Goldeneye 007
9. Street Fighter II: Turbo
10. Super Metroid

Honorable mentions: Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Harvest Moon 64, Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Wii version), Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 4, Super Smash Bros Melee, Pokemon Blue/Red/Yellow, Super Punch Out, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Uncharted 2

larvi

1.) Pokemon Emerald (GBA) - 3rd gen Pokemon my favorite and Emerald the best of the bunch
2.) Avatar (Plato system) - Multiplayer RPG that I wasted many hours on in college and still play over 25 years later
3.) Wizardry 7 Crusaders of the Dark Savant (PC) - Love the Wizardry series and Wiz 7 my favorite (closely followed by Wiz 8 and 6)
4.) Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (PC) - HommIII the best in a great series
5.) Pokemon Platinum (DS) - 4th gen pokemon still great
6.) Master of Orion 2 (PC) - Classic space turn based strategy, whatever happened to SimTex?
7.) Civilization 2 (PC) - Hard to pick between Civ 1-4 as they are all good, but I probably logged the most hours with 2
8.) AD&D Pool of Radiance (PC) - The start of a great tactical RPG series from SSi
9.) Master of Magic (PC) - Another great SimTex turn based strategy game, if it wasn't so buggy it would be higher on my list
10.) Dragon Quest Monsters (GBC) - The best of the series in my opinion.

TheYanger

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Halo (XBOX)
3. Diablo 2 (PC)
4. World of Warcraft (PC)
5. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
6. Fallout 2 (PC)
7. Metal Gear Solid (PS)
8. Powerstone 2 (DC)
9. Perfect Dark (N64)
10. Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC)

I tried to go for games that I enjoyed so much I invested the most time in, more than anything else.

jaydogg691

Here's what my go at a top 10 list.
  1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (The new camera makes the game play better. Story, setting, music, and gameplay are the best I've seen)
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (The first big game that I completed 100%)
  3. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Best 2D platformer. I know every song in the game by heart)
  4. Super Mario Bros. (It never gets old whenever I play it)
  5. Super Mario 64 (First exploration game I played and a great transition to 3D)
  6. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Grew up listing to West Coast Hip-hop and the setting was perfect. Brought back memories)
  7. Gran Turismo 4 (Now I know how hard 24 hour races are)
    [*]Street Fighter IV (Best Fighting game to date)
  8. God of War II (The art style and gameplay are top notch)
    [*]Halo: Combat Evolved (Set the standard for console FPSs)

Edit: Made some changes on my list. Replaced #8. Uncharted 2 with Street Fighter IV and changed #10. Halo 3 to Halo: Combat Evolved.

Eh, sure, why not. It always changes though, depending on my mood. And I rate these more as importance to my gaming personality rather than if I feel they are truly my personal favorite games or not. Ny number 1 isn't even my favorite in its franchise.

10) Super Mario 64
Super-Mario-64-1.jpg

The first game that convinced me of 3D gaming. When my family got this, DKR, and my N64 for Christmas, it was one of the most memorable Christmas' ever. I still try and have a yearly playthrough of the game, even if it has shown it's age. Game tends to fall apart for me now around the third floor, unfortunately.

9) Bioshock
bioshock_360_fob_final_21.png

Definitely my favorite 360 game, and one of the few games that has every kept me enthralled in its narrative. The game itself is a fairly above average shooter, but what makes it astounding is its level design and story progression. A true case of gaming art that would achieve higher status if it weren't for common gaming clichés.

8) Resident Evil 4
resident-evil-4-1.jpg

Just a near perfect action game. It keeps you on your twos, has a tremendous, overarching feeling of dread, and fantastic gameplay. I'm not really a fan of the RE series, but this game was probably the best Gamecube game I played.

7) Metroid Prime
MetroidPrimebox.jpg

My introduction to the Metroid series, and I think the most impressive entry in the series. If you play the Wii version, the controls are perfect too, erasing all the complaints about the controls of the GC version. I was entirely gripped by the unspoken story of the game - I am a huge supporter of the scan system. I feel like I'm playing out an expertly crafted novel. Not to mention fantastic gameplay design and puzzles.

6) Final Fantasy VI
final-fantasy-vi.jpg

By far the best Final Fantasy game I've played, and one of the best RPGs ever. A narrative that was gripping but never took itself too seriously (I'm looking at you, VII), fantastic music, and my favorite skill-learning system in the series besides the sphere grid. Just a text-book perfect turn-based RPG.

5) Chrono Trigger
chrono-trigger-1.jpg

THE best RPG ever. Need I say more?

4) Half-Life 2
196f381bc9cca7c51dd2458e19bbcf90-Half_Life_2_.jpg

The most engaging and well-designed FPS game ever. Absolutely nails atmosphere, story progression without ONCE stripping you from control, and difficulty. Best PC game evarrrr

3) Super Mario World
SMW%20OST%20Front.jpg

My favorite 2D game ever, and the most memorable game of my past, playing with my family. It's my personal favorite 2D Mario game, even though most prefer SMB3, but to me it is the truest definition of Mario and remains to this day as the SNES' crowning achievement.

2) Super Mario Galaxy
super-mario-galaxy-urmrgay.jpg

It really doesn't get much better than this game. The best Mario game of all time, with the best videogame MUSIC of all time, with some of the best DESIGN in videogames of all time. Completely enriching and fun the entire way through. I believe it's Nintendo's best game in the last ten years, by far. But nothing compares to the personal importance of...

1) Ocarina of Time
ocarina-of-time-logo(2).jpg

I can't speak enough of it's impact on me, the gaming industry, and the pop culture world. It is, hands down, one of the greatest games of all time, and made me the gamer I am today. That sense of adventure with that inevitable hesitance you got when you first walked into Hyrule field is immeasurable. The music was beyond memorable. The final battle is the best final boss battle EVER. The truest definiton of EPIC. It may not be my favorite Zelda game anymore, but I realize how much it means. And I appreciate that.

samratty

1. Super Metroid
2. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
3. Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
4. Super Mario Bros. 3
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Bangai-O
7. Yoshi's Island
8. Resident Evil 4
9. Gunstar Heroes
10. Rez

It wasn't too hard to get to 20, but to get it down to 10 was really tough

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance [PS2]
2. Metal Gear Solid + VR Missions [PS]
3. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory [XBOX/PC]
4. Half-Life 2 [PC]
5. Half-Life [PC]
6. Wipeout HD Fury [PS3]
7. Valkyria Chronicles [PS3]
8. Final Fantasy X [PS2]
9. Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition [PC]
10. Medievil [PS]

1. Zelda OoT (nintendo 64)
2. Portal (xbox360)
3. Super Mario Bros 3 (Nes)
4. Halflife 2 (xbox360)
5. Bioshock (xbox360)
6. Uncharted 2 (PS3)
7. Mario kart: DS
8. Tetris
9. Resident evil 4 (Gamecube)
10. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PS1)

not without mentioning:

- Killzone2
- Super Paper Mario: the thousand year door
- Zelda: The wind waker
- Braid
- Pikmin
- Burnout: Paradise
- Super Mario 64
- Super Mario Bros 1
- Mario Kart 64
- Rainbow Six: Vegas
- Gears of war

mujun

01. Demon's Souls
02. Wasteland
03. Ultima 5
04. Mass Effect
05. GTA San Andreas
06. Farcry Instincts
07. Fatal Fury Real Bout 2
08. Def Jam Fight for New York
09. Test Drive Eve of Destruction
10. Metal Arms

1. Battlefield 1942
  2. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
  3. Gran Turismo
  4. Beyond Good & Evil
  5. Resident Evil
  6. Street Gangs/River City Ransom (NES)
  7. The Longest Journey
  8. Super Mario Bros 3
  9. Grand Theft Auto III
  10. Shenmue II

I noticed rummaging through my memory that it is quite muddled. Things keep popping up though, making things difficult. Somewhat temporarily happy with how it ended up. Impossible to properly rank these things.

WARCOCK

Banned
1. StarCraft
2. Counter-Strike
3. Super Mario 64
4. Super Street Fighter 2 turbo
5. Quake 2
6. Civilization 2
7. Baldur's Gate 2
8. Sim City
9. Virtua fighter 4
10.Gran turismo 3

Does not reflect my personal opinion, but more based on what games i believe have the most merit. For one i cannot stand virtua fighter 4 but recognize the amazing craft and design behind it.

KAL2006

Banned
1. Suikoden II
The first Suikoden was the first JRPG I have ever played and I loved it but the sequel to it was incredible. This is definatly my number 1 game. Its the one I remember enjoying the most. I dont know why, maybe its the charm, the excellent 2D sprites, no voice acting just old skool reading, great plot, great characters, easter eggs for original Suikoden fans, great music. All I know is that this game gives me that warm fuzzy feeling and I love it.

2. Final Fantasy VII
I have to admit that this was my first FF game and my second JRPG ever. I was in awe with the FMV sequences. Just like Suikoden I loved the characters and overall plot. The music was also great. Also this was the only FF game that I bothered to do 100% completion.

3. Diablo II
The main reason why I loved this game was because I played with a mate over a LAN network. The game didnt have alot of story but at the same time I loved the back story and atmosphere of the game. The loot whoring was so good, still remember getting excited when I saw a RARE or UNIQUE loot.

4. Yoshi's Island
This is probably my greatest 2D platformer ever. Incredible 2D graphics, lovely music and flawless gameplay. I liked the idea of the bosses being big versions of normal enemies.

5. Super Mario Galaxy
This is the game that gives me a reason to hold on to a Wii. The best platformer of all time hands down. And just a improvement of Mario 64.

6. Street Fighter IV
Well I am going to admit I am a SF fanatic, just look at my avatar. I always loved all the SF games and VS games that Capcom made in the past. But the problem was I didnt have hardly anyone to play with, and their are hardly any arcades here in the UK. So this is the first fighting game that I have played where I had alot of competition because of online. And it probably is my most played game this gen. However if CvS2 was rereleased again with good online that would be much better than SFIV.

7. Super Mario 64
Well this was one of my first open 3D games. It is so old but yet it is still one of the best 3D platformers ever.

8. Metal Gear Solid 3
My favourite MGS game of the lot. The ending of this game was beautiful. Also loved the Snake Eater song.

9. Shadow of the Collosus
Of all the games last gen, this is the one I remember enjoying the most. The presentation and atmosphere of this game was incredible. And I dont get why but I found the game really moving for some reason.

10. Donkey Kong Country 2
Probably my second best 2D platformer ever. I remember the memories of checking every corner of a level for them DK coins.

After looking back at my list. I just realised its the small little things that made me like those games, such as atmosphere (Shadow of the Collosus, Diablo II), presnetation (FFVII, MGS2 etc), music (Mario games, DKC2, FFVII, Suikoden 2, MGS3). Its funny how those things play a huge part for me to like a game, and I didnt realise this until now :lol .

EDIT
after looking at other peoples top 10, I really need to play Chrono Trigger (werent into JTRPGs in the SNES days) but this games looks right up my alley. Will order DS version NAO.

Top 10

1. Castlevania: SotN (PS1)
2. Age of Empires 2 (PC)
3. The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
4. Uncharted 2 (PS3)
5. God of War (PS2)
6. Civilization IV (PC)
7. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
8. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)
9. International Superstar Soccer (SNES)
10. Top Gear (SNES)

Honorable Mentions
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee & Exodus, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Metal Gear Solid 3, LittleBigPlanet, Prince of Persia.

Sushen

1 Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
2 Mario 64 (N64)
3 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare (360)
4 Uncharted (PS3)
5 Final Fantasy 4
6 Fallout 3 (360)
7 Pokemon
8 Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Arcade)
9 Persona 4 (PS2)
10 Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

1) Fallout 3 (PC)
2) Deus Ex (PC)
3) Dead Rising (360)
4) Borderlands (360)
5) Doom II (PC)
6) Chrono Trigger (SNES)
7) Mass Effect (360)
8) KOTOR (PC)
9) Half Life 2 (PC)
10) Baulder's Gate II (PC)

Spydy

Banned
1) Metroid Prime
2) Zelda: OoT
3) BioShock
4) Demon's Soul's (Will give this relatively new game the nod. It's infinitely re-playable, engrossing and the sense of achievement almost overwhelming)
5) Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
6) REZ
7) GoldenEye (N64)
8) Vagrant Story
9) GTA3
10) Secret of Monkey Island 2

1. Grim Fandango
2. Zork
3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Another World
6. Ico
7. Shadow of the Colossus
8. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
9. Street Fighter 2
10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Twilight Princess
3. Street Fighter IV
4. Ocarina of Time
5. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
6. Super Mario 64
7. Smash Bros Melee
8. Super Mario Bros 3
9. LOZ: LTTP
10. Call of Duty 4

Jazzem

10. Tetris
9. The World Ends With You
8. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinstrals
7. Street Fighter II' (if I have to go with a particular version, Super Turbo it is)
6. Super Mario 64
5. Lemmings
4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
2. Super Mario World
1. Super Mario Galaxy

...that was really hard! I've played too many games to be able to narrow down to ten favourites without going insane :p But that's a fair top ten for me I reckon. I'd go into honourable mentions, but there are too many to list...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
1. Parasite Eve
2. Parasite Eve 2
3. Biohazard 3: Last Escape
4. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
5. Bare Knuckle 2
6. Pokemon Red/Blue (Green)/Yellow
7. Super Metroid
8. Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition
9. Portal
10. Quake 3 Arena

JSnake

1) Super Mario Galaxy
2) Super Metroid
3) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
4) Mother 3
5) EarthBound
6) Ocarina of Time
7) Link to the Past
8) Half Life
9) Donkey Kong Country 2
10) Super Mario 64

01.) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
02.) Half Life 2 Episode 2
03.) Battlefield 2
04.) Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
05.) Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
06.) Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
07.) Burnout Paradise
08.) Rock Band 2
09.) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
10.) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

I'm employing the "only one game from a franchise" rule. So even tho MGS4 was ranked higher than Burnout Paradise for my 08GOTY, MGS3 is better than MGS4 and thus it take its place.

shuri

Banned
  1. Super Mario Brothers 3
  2. DOOM - Hell on Earth
  3. Street Fighter 2
  4. Tetris
  5. Super Metroid
  6. Mortal Kombat 2
  7. Counter-Strike
  8. Deus EX
  9. NBA JAM
  10. Shadowrun

There were lots of tough decisions, but I'm satisfied with this.

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
5. Halo: Combat Evolved
6. World of Warcraft
7. Super Metroid
8. Final Fantasy IV
9. Street Fighter II
10. Quest for Glory IV

Edit: I should note that I, too, employ the "one game per franchise" rule. :p

Gilgamesh

I don't think there are enough snobby retro gamers in this thread, so here's my contribution.

1. Super Metroid
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Cave Story
4. Mother 3
5. Earthbound
6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
7. Phantasy Star IV
8. Final Fantasy VI
9. Megaman X
10. Sonic 3 & Knuckles

K.Sabot

10. Vampire Savior
9. Diablo II
8. Street Fighter 2 (World Warrior, NOT Super Turbo.)
7. Secret of Mana
6. Fallout
5. Anachronox
4. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
3. Deus Ex
2. Final Fantasy VI
1. Tales of Symphonia

jtb

Banned
1) Starcraft: Brood War
2) Halo
3) Planescape: Torment
4) Super Metroid
5) Knights of the Old Republic
6) Super Mario 64
7) Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
8) FF6
9) Chrono Trigger
10) Half Life 1

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
1. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
2. Half-Life 2
3. Ico
4. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
5. Jet Grind Radio
6. Yakuza 2
7. Audiosurf
8. Final Fight
9. Wipeout HD (+ Fury)
10. Uncharted 2

Only the top seven are set in stone for me and even they change positions all the time. If you asked me this a month from now my list would look different, so whatever.

Top Bottom