• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Greatest Games of All Time (Voting ends Nov. 16 11:59 P.M PST)

Jokergrin

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. ChronoTrigger
3. Zelda: LTTP
4. Zelda: OOT
5. Team Fortress Classic
6. Morrowind
7. Goldeneye
8. Halo
9. COD4
10. Super Mario Galaxy

Rikyfree

Hmmm, ok.

1. Uncharted 2
2. Half-life 2
3. Super Metroid
4. Killzone 2
5. Super Mario Bros.
6. Uncharted
7. Street Fighter 2
8. Call of Duty 4
9. Fallout 3
10. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Coop

Iprobably forget some...

1. Grim Fandango
2. Deus Ex
3. Half Life Episode 2
4. Half Life 2
5. Team Fortress 2
6. Monkey Island 2
7. Planescape: Torment
8. Freespace 2
9. Tie Fighter
10. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

01DragonFly

1. Zelda Wind waker
2.Zelda: OOT
3.Mario bros 3
4.Resident evil 4
5.Chrono Trigger
6.Super Smash Bros. Meele
7.Zelda MM
8. half-life 2
9.Golden sun 2
10.Sonic Adventure 2

1.Resident Evil 4
2.Final Fantasy VII
3.Diablo 2:LOD
4.Knights of the Old Republic
5.Final Fantasy X
6.Fire Emblem(GBA)
7.Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater
8.Half Life 2
9.Persona 4
10.Metal Gear Soild 4: Guns of the Patriots

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
1) Super Metroid
2) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
3) Super Mario 64
4) Advance Wars (franchise - am I allowed to vote for a franchise?)
5) Super Monkey Ball
6) Zelda: Wind Waker
7) Dwarf Fortress
8) SMW2: Yoshi Island
9) Grandia
10) Uncharted 2

entremet

1. Super Mario Brothers 3
I remember SMB3 being the first game I was genuinely hyped about, from the "cameo" in The Wizard to the Nintendo Power coverage and learning about the new suits. I got the game for my birthday and it kept me busy for a while. The scope and design was genius, with each world having its theme, unique enemies, and layouts. The Airship theme was epic at the time and finally getting to the final world blew me away.

2. Super Metroid
I remember playing Metroid for NES as a loaner and found it fascinating, albeit a bit difficult to get going. The game hasn't aged well, but the music and sci fi theme was welcoming. I never beat it; this was before GameFAQs. When a Super NES sequel was announced it seemed to come out of nowhere. I had to get it and Metroid 3 demolished its console prequel. The game has a one of the most tense intros for the era and it managed to convey a lot character without cutscenes or dialog. Zebes became a character in a sense, and each new section revealed more and more of the planet.

3. Braid
Although many dismiss its lofty storyline, Braid is basically a puzzler. As a puzzle game it is brilliant. I've never gotten so much satisfaction beating a level. I took the designer's advice and beat the game without a guide. It was mental Olympics, but oh so satisfying to solve each brain twisting puzzle.

4. Yoshi's Island
Though its prequel gets tons of praise and it mostly a B game for me. YI brought a radical new aesthetic, new mechanics, and huge expansive levels. It's hard to decide which game I prefer, SMB3 or YI, but SMB3 wins out slightly. YI, however, could be called the pinnacle of the genre and one of Nintendo's finest games.

5. Chrono Trigger
CT had it all, great graphics and art directions, amazing soundtrack, engaging story and fun battle mechanics. I loved the multiple endings and time travel theme and was in awe when I first made it to Zeal.

6. Tetris
Hooked since the original Gameboy pack in. Game is so simple and yet so addictive. Probably my most played game too.

7. Street Fighter 2 (various versions)
ARCADES 4 LYFE, bitches. Started on World Warrior and played all the various incarnations in the arcades. Hundreds of dollars spent on this baby.

8. Link's Awakening
This was the first Zelda game I beat. I played but never owned Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 was just way too hard to complete. Nintendo was brutal back then. I loved the little touches in this game, like the side scrolling sections, cameos from other Nintendo games, and condensed and packed Overworld.

9. Earthbound
A cult favorite, EB surprised me with its huge towns, amazing localization--the game really felt ''American," and hilarious story. I loved how it turned traditional RPG elements on its head and it features on the best endings ever.

10. FFVI
I wouldn't love RPGs as much as I do now without FFVI. It opened the floodgates. I remember renting FFI for the NES as a kid, but I found it too archaic. FFVI, while easy, pushed amazing production values and the soundtrack remains a favorite for many fans. The opening scene with Celes in the second half of the game was something I never thought was possible in games at the time.

Honorable Mentions:
Castlevania: SOTN
Jumping Flash 2
Super Mario Kart
Zelda: OOT
Tekken 2
Metal Gear Solid
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Doom
Quake 3 Arena
Nights
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Mega Man 2
Contra
Super Mario Galaxy
Samba de Amigo
Resident Evil
R4
Daytona USA

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Metroid Prime
3. Resident Evil 4
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (nice to see the game on many a list)
6. Super Mario World
7. Halo: Combat Evolved
8. Grim Fandango
9. Max Payne 2
10. The Curse of Monkey Island

All games I can replay forever.

brb

1. Super Metroid (SNES)
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
3. Super Mario World (SNES)
4. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
5. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
6. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
7. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GCN)
8. Tales of Phantasia (SNES)
9. Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) -hope this can count as it's technically three games, just on one disc. If not, then Metroid Prime (GCN)
10. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

notable mentions I feel I need to list:

Okami (Wii)
ICO (PS2)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
Killer7 (GCN)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Fallout 3 (PC)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's not surprising that most of the lists seem pretty heavily leaned towards console titles, is it? :(

I'd go:

1. TIE Fighter (PC)
2. Privateer (PC)
3. Grim Fandango (PC)
4. Civ IV (PC)
5. Alpha Centauri (PC)
6. SMB3 (NES)
7. X-Com: UFO Defense (PC)
8. Sid Meier's SimGolf (PC)
9. Persona 4 (PS2)
10. SMG (Wii)

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
1. Monster hunter freedom unite Most complete, and satisfying game I have ever played.
Monster_Hunter_Freedom_Unite.jpg

2. Pokemon: diamond Most complete, and satisfying Rpg I have ever played.
PokemonDiamondDS.jpg

3. Final Fantasy X This game hit me harder than anything on the list, but it doesn't edge passed the top 2 because it wasn't the best gaming experience of the 3.
final-fantasy-x.jpg

4. Shadow of the colossus So very beautiful. It felt like such a real world, and had my imagination on full throttle.
shadow_of_the_colossus_ps2.jpg

5. Half life 2 Felt so realistic, and I was just blown away by the atmosphere.
the-orange-box.jpg

6. Grand theft auto 3 Holy SH*T this game felt like there was nothing you couldn't do...except maybe swim.
pc-grand-theft-auto-iii.jpg

7. Megaman zero 3 Such a bad ass action game, and If I could add the first 3 in with this game I would.
mega-man-zero-3.456348.jpg

8. Sonic 2 My childhood gaming experience, summed up.
sonic2box.png

9. Devil may cry 3 Best 3d action game to date.
ubi-soft-devil-may-cry-3-special-edition-pc.jpg

10. Twisted metal: Head on Most fun I've had in a multi-player game.
twisted_metal_head_on_psp.jpg

This list is probably inaccurate, if my memory was worth a poop. One honorable mention is Jurassic park genesis.

1. Half-Life 2
2. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
3. Guilty Gear XX ^ Core
4. Odin Sphere
5. Snatcher
6. Deus Ex
7. Sin & Punishment
8. The World Ends With You
9. Conker's Bad Fur Day
10. Super Mario Galaxy

NM1. No More Heroes
NM2. Super Metroid
NM3. Fallout 2
NM4. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
NM5. Skies of Arcadia

1. Super Mario Galaxy*
Choosing the number one was extremely difficult for me. In my heart, there is but one game that will sit on the throne of being my favourite game of all time. That game remains firmly in its rightful place. In my mind, however, I have been made aware that there is indeed a game greater than my favourite, and I recognise it here.

I nearly wept with joy when I played this game the first time. I'm not sure if it was the combination of the Good Egg Galaxy music, the gameplay and the sheer beauty of the game or what it was, but I had a grin on my face and a lump in my throat.

2. Super Metroid
This game remains my favourite game of all time and my most replayed game of all time. Everything about it is absolutely perfect. Every time I play it, I marvel at its ingenious design, the hidden secrets and the subtle environmental clues hidden everywhere. It's moody and atmospheric and has yet to be surpassed in its genre.

3. Starcraft
I'll be the first to admit - I suck at RTS. Playing through the single player portion of this game was a difficult slog (and about half way through the Protoss campaign, I gave up and started using cheats), but it still has one of the most fascinating universes and one of the best written and paced stories of all of videogaming. Despite myself, I dare say I'll be buying, playing (and sucking at) Starcraft 2 when it arrives.

4. Super Mario World
I got this game for Christmas one year and it ate up my afternoons for six months. I got all 96 exits and found every secret. To this day, I hear its music and wax nostalgic for those six months.

5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
I borrowed this one from a friend back in the day and fell in love with it, but had to return it when I was at the Forest dungeon. I never beat it until years later, when I got my own copy on the GBA. It did not disappoint and was even better than I remembered it. Killing Ganon after all those years was incredibly satisfying.

6. Chrono Trigger
The first time I played this, I played it emulated. This relic of the 4th generation of video game consoles was at that point never released in Australia and at any rate, the 6th gen was already in full swing. There being no practical legal way for me to have owned it, I had no qualms, therefore, about not having paid for it. I appreciated this masterpiece so much, however, that I paid full price for it when the DS version was finally released in Aussieland. I have seen every ending in this game but one - the one where
Crono speaks

7. Ouendan 2
This game I bought sight unseen on the back of GAF hype. At first, it took me a while to grow accustomed to the gameplay. Once I got the hang of it, however, it was like Japanese heroin. Ouendan and EBA were soon to follow. S-ranking Samurai Blue in cheerleader mode feels so good.

8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
I almost put the original here for the sheer satisfaction of taking down Manfred Von Karma, but it was 3 that had the best story. The best writing I've seen in video games bar none.

9. Pokemon RGBY
Digital crack on a handheld. I was skeptical of what the game would be like, but I turned it on one morning and seven hours later, emerged with eye strain and a headache for trying to squint in the dark.

10. Metroid Prime
Exploring Tallon IV wasn't just about the adventure I had, but about the details of the world. I once jumped into the pool near the ship and watched the fish dance around for a good half hour. I once spent twenty minutes shooting at bird-like creatures high in the sky and somehow being surprised that they exploded if I managed to hit one. I once used various underwater bomb-jumping tricks to break into the wrecked ship backwards when I wasn't meant to. The game was full of all sorts of surprising moments, like putting on the heat visor in the dark for the first time or when I found the Wave Buster. Incredible.

Honourable Mentions (In no particular order):

Final Fantasy VI
Terranigma
Tetris
Metroid: Zero Mission
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Metroid: Fusion
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Ouendan
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Okami
Super Mario Bros. 3
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

The Hermit

1- The Legend of Zelda : The Ocarina of Time (still my fav. game ever, it had everything)
2- Super Mario Galaxy ( the moment Mario woke up in the tiny planet I knew this was a classic)
3- Metroid Prime ( one of the hardest game to make the transition from 2D to 3D, endend up being the best of the series)
4- Super Metroid ( created a genre that still is the undisputed king)
5- Chrono Trigger (best JRPG)
6- Half-Life ( unique FPS, let the player watch the story developing in front of his eyes)
7- Half-Life 2 (insane graphics and physics at the time, fantastic gameplay)
8- Diablo 2 ( dangerosly addictive game... thank go its so good)
9- Shadow of the Colossus ( you can describe everything with onw word: stunning)
10- Goldeneye 007 ( be it multi or single it was a constant blast, but hadn't aged well)

Runner ups:

11- Resident Evil 4
12- Sonic 3 & Knuckles
13- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
14- The Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past
15- Super Mario Kart
16- Earthbound
17- Mother 3
18- Portal
19- Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
20- Okami

AniHawk

Good luck, bigcheese.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
3. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
4. The Orange Box (360)
5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)
6. Beyond Good & Evil (PS2)
7. Super Metroid (SNES)
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN)
9. Terranigma (SNES)
10. Mirror's Edge (360)

VULKIN

1. Zelda OOT (N64)
2. Super Mario World (SNES)
3. Resident Evil 4 (GC)
4. Alpha Centauri (PC)
5. Starcraft (PC)
6. Halo CE (XBOX)
7. Super Street Fighter II (Arcade)
8. Virtua Fighter 5 (Xbox 360)
9. Ninja Gaiden Black (XBOX)
10. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

Did not make the list: SMB3, Super Metroid, Shadow of the Colossus, Counter-Strike, Fallout 3 and Bioshock. Funny that my first 3 are Nintendo games and I did not have a SNES and hardly played my GC or my Wii. I own only a couple of games on my Nintendo consoles but the ones I own are some of the most memorable and replayable games I have.

GhaleonQ

Some of these lists are delightful.

Missing: the conspicuous amount of people in the last topic who put Flower in their top 5 (not that people shouldn't, just that there were far more than the 2 or so here so far).

10. Pokemon Red/Blue (Game Boy)
9. Uncharted 2: Among Theives (PS3)
8. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
7. Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
6. Super Mario 64 (N64)
5. Super Metroid (SNES)
4. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
3. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
2. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

1. Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
3. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
4. Goldeneye 007 (N64)
5. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
6. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
7. Super Mario World (SNES)
8. Pikmin (GCN)
9. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
10. Metroid Prime (GCN)

Memorable Mentions:

11. Resident Evil 4 (GCN)
12. Mario Kart (SNES)
13. Halo (XBOX)
14. Perfect Dark (N64)
15. Banjo Kazooie (N64)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The amount of Alpha Centauri love on this page alone is simply delightful.

1. The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of Time
  2. Super Metroid
  3. Perfect Dark
  4. Super Smash Bros Melee
  5. Metal Gear Solid 3
  6. Shadow of the Colossus
  7. The Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask
  8. Super Mario Galaxy
  9. Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
  10. Half Life

1. Earthbound (SNES)
2. Snatcher (Sega CD)
3. Okami (PS2)
4. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
5. Parappa the Rapper (PSX)
6. Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner (PS2)
7. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
8. Jet Grind Radio (DC)
9. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
10. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

1. Metroid Prime
2. Star Fox 64
3. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
4. Half-Life 2
5. Jet Grind Radio (Jet Set Radio)
6. Metal Gear Solid 3
7. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
8. Resident Evil 4
9. Perfect Dark
10. Super Smash Bros. Melee

I am displeased at the lack of Star Fox 64 mentions. Props to the four others who have shown love, however. Yes, I counted... most likely poorly.
Damn starcraft, containing 'star' in its name

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Super Mario 64
5. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. Devil May Cry 3
7. Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker
8. Pokemon Gold/Silver
9. Metal Gear Solid 2
10. Skies of Arcadia

Ugh, this just looks bad compared to some of the other lists here.

GhaleonQ said:

Missing: the conspicuous amount of people in the last topic who put Flower in their top 5 (not that people shouldn't, just that there were far more than the 2 or so here so far).
It's funny though, since you really get a sense of some people's tastes in games. For instance, my list contains only one game that didn't appear on a Nintendo platform and three that weren't published by Nintendo. Of my honourable mentions, all of them have appeared on Nintendo platforms (though I played Okami on the PS2) and only five out of the sixteen weren't published by Nintendo.

I attribute this to the fact that my favourite genres just happen to be genres that Nintendo excel at: platformers, metroidvanias, zelda-likes and JRPGs (don't forget that Pokemon is at its core a JRPG in the tradition of Dragon Quest).

Which isn't to say that I play or enjoy only Nintendo games. This is far from the truth. The thing is that the ones that spring to mind when I think of greatness and stick with me just happen to have been published by Nintendo. This is especially true of every game I listed that was released prior to 2006, which was when I started paying attention to who published what games.

1- Rock Band 2
2- Street Fighter 4
3- Final Fantasy 6
4- Metal Gear Solid 3
5- Symphony of the Night
6- Guilty Gear X2
7- Gunstar Heroes
8- Super Mario Bros
9- Smash Bros Brawl
10- Earth Defense Force 2017

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Guess I'll keep it to one per series:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Total Annihilation
3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
4. Super Metroid
5. Tie Fighter
6. Civilization 4
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulation
9. Mechwarrrior 2
10. Megaman 2

GhaleonQ

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It's funny though, since you really get a sense of some people's tastes in games. For instance, my list contains only one game that didn't appear on a Nintendo platform and three that weren't published by Nintendo. Of my honourable mentions, all of them have appeared on Nintendo platforms (though I played Okami on the PS2) and only five out of the sixteen weren't published by Nintendo.

I attribute this to the fact that my favourite genres just happen to be genres that Nintendo excel at: platformers, metroidvanias, zelda-likes and JRPGs (don't forget that Pokemon is at its core a JRPG in the tradition of Dragon Quest).

Which isn't to say that I play or enjoy only Nintendo games. This is far from the truth. The thing is that the ones that spring to mind when I think of greatness and stick with me just happen to have been published by Nintendo. This is especially true of every game I listed that was released prior to 2006, which was when I started paying attention to who published what games.

Oh, I definitely meant it in a good way. Some are 9 greatest hits followed by a supposed "lesser entry" in a totally unrelated series, some are representing post-Sierra/LucasArts European adventure games, some really love games that supposedly aged poorly, and so on. I know the number makes some things seem weird sometimes (my top 50 would probably be boring, but it would be crazy if this was a favorite 100), but I didn't feel like reading everyone's and assocating the interesting ones with usernames was a waste of time.

...that much of a waste of time. I need to go to bed.

1. Super Street Fighter II Turbo (ARCADES)
  2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  3. F-Zero GX (NGC)
  4. Radiant Silver Gun (SATURN)
  5. Half Life (PC)
  6. Shadow of the Colussus (PS2)
  7. Metal Gear Solid (PS)
  8. Grim Fandango (PC)
  9. Ghouls'N Ghosts (ARCADES)
  10. Virtua Fighter 2 (SATURN)

KiNeSiS

Banned
1. SMB1
2. Ninja Gaiden
3. Mario 64
4. GTA IV
5. MGS1
6. MGS2
7. Max Payne
8. Street Fighter 2 Turbo
9. Ninja Gaiden (Nes)
10. Virtua Fighter

Benedict

1. Civ IV
2. Fallout 3
3. Super Mario Bros
4. X-com Terror from the Deep
5. Diablo II
6. Elite
7. Pirates
8. Doom II
9. Tetris
10. Dungeon Master

really difficult to rank them, and decide which would be the top 10.

Some honorable mentions:
Eve Online
SSX Tricky
Rock Band 2
Half Life 2
Burnout Paradise
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
GTA Vice City
Tekken 2
Super Mario World
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Wipeout 2097
Suikoden 2

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Ryu Hayabusa said:
  1. Super Street Fighter II Turbo (ARCADES)
  2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  3. F-Zero GX (NGC)
  4. Radiant Silver Gun (SATURN)
  5. Half Life (PC)
  6. Shadow of the Colussus (PS2)
  7. Metal Gear Solid (PS)
  8. Grim Fandango (PC)
  9. Ghouls'N Ghosts (ARCADES)
  10. Virtua Fighter 2 (SATURN)
You'd think there would be ninja gaiden somewhere in this list.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It's funny though, since you really get a sense of some people's tastes in games.
This is very true. You can also kinda see what consoles a person did or didn't grow up with. I noticed some very PC centered lists, many Nintendo centered lists and many non-Nintendo centered lists.

My list is also a pretty Nintendo centered one, but I may have put in some other games just for the sake of showing variety. Of course, I love quite a few other games as well, but there's no denying that I have a Nintendo love.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonQ said:

it's the reactionary game of the month thing. I mean, all the power to them, but I'd think twice about calling Uncharted 2 the greatest game ever with the game only having being released less than a month ago.

gibration

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
6. Twisted Metal: Black
7. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
8. Street Fighter IV
9. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
10. Metroid Fusion

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
gibration said:
1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
6. Twisted Metal: Black
7. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
8. Street Fighter IV
9. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
10. Metroid Fusion
+846 cool points for fusion.

I enjoyed that game more than zero mission, but I never finished the "best" metroid side-scroller (super) so I cant call it the best.

1. X-Com: Enemy Unknown
  2. Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero
  3. Final Fantasy VI
  4. Sid Meier's Civilization IV
  5. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  6. ICO
  7. Transport Tycoon Deluxe
  8. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  9. Super Mario Bros. 3
  10. Counter-Strike

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
  1. 2cfcvat.jpg

Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 (DS, 2007) [Nintendo, iNiS]: I simply love it, especially since it has my favourite final stage of all time. I put it ahead of EBA only because I think the music selection is stronger. To be fair, the first Ouendan has better music, but the lack of skippable intros and the not-so-intuitive patterns kill it for me.
  2. 29n9guv.jpg

Elite Beat Agents (DS, 2006) [Nintendo, iNiS]: Made me fall in love with music games.
  3. wgw85j.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES, 1992) [Konami]: Best Beat 'Em Up ever.
  4. slmmhe.png

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, 1998) [Nintendo, Nintendo EAD]: The only "epic" game I've replayed more than ten times.
  5. 5efq82.jpg

Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (SNES, 1993) [Nintendo, Nintendo EAD]: I had a hard time choosing from all of the 2D Mario platformers, so I just cheated and included all of them. Yoshi's Island is excluded because, while good, is too different from the classic Mario mold.
  6. xf85k1.jpg

MOTHER 3 (GBA, 2006) [Nintendo, Brownie Brown]: Best JRPG ever? Best JRPG ever.
  7. syxx8l.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, 2007) [Nintendo, Nintendo EAD Tokyo]: The amount of creativity oozing out from it reminds me why I play video games.
  8. 29770i.jpg

Chrono Trigger (SNES, 1995) [Squaresoft]: The best game Square ever made. It's short, but brimming with incredible pacing and a crazy as bonkers plot.
  9. bg1cm9.png

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS version especifically, 2008/2009/SFC, 1992) [Enix, Chunsoft for the SFC; Square Enix, Arte Piazza for the DS]: The DS version just adds way too much to be ignored. This is my favourite Dragon Quest simply because of the way the scenario works. It kinda feels like an epic poem.
  10. 2a78j5w.jpg

Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Earth (N64, 2000) [Nintendo, Treasure]: Fell in love with this game instantly, although I have the feeling it will be replaced by its sequel next year.

VULKIN

Andrex said:
Mine too. :)

When I first viewed the game at a friends house I thought it looked ok so I went out and bought it. Now I always have it installed on my desktop, laptop and now my eee pc. Between this game and starcraft I still game in the 90's with a rig that can handle Crysis at medium/high. :lol

Over 10 years of solid gameplay!

Colonel Corazón Santiago of the Spartan Federation FTW

It's funny how there's more love for MGS4 in this thread than in the official thread

What is this like a guilty pleasure or something?

1) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2) Super Mario Galaxy
3) Super Mario 64
4) Pokémon Trading Card Game
5) Super Smash Bros. Brawl
6) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
7) Super Mario Bros. 3
8) Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
9) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
10) Cruis'n USA

xvtc

Neo Member
1. Planescape: Torment
2. Starcraft: Brood War
3. Arcanum
4. Fallout
5. Mask of the Betrayer
6. Deus Ex
7. Baldur's Gate II
8. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
9. System Shock 2
10. Halo

1. Deus Ex
2. Baldurs Gate II
3. System Shock 2
4. Half Life
5. Halo CE
6. Paradroid (C64)
7. Thief 2 - The Metal Age
8. Hidden & Dangerous
9. Homeworld
10. Mass Effect (to be displaced by the sequel!)

1) Super Mario 64
2) Super Mario Bros. 3
3) Super Mario Galaxy

- Note: Yes, I think jumping from platform to platform is the pinnacle of gaming. And nobody does it better.

4) Tetris

5) Metal Slug 3
6) Resident Evil 4

7) Super Smash Bros. Melee
8) Street Fighter III: Third Strike
9) River City Ransom

10) Yoshi's Touch & Go

- Note: Someday, I would like to make a thread why I feel this game was tragically overlooked. Its "Marathon" mode is infinitely replayable with the same "one more time" type of gameplay you see in Tetris. The actual gameplay combines elements of Super Mario, Galaga, Metal Slug, and drawing. A complete original in the space, yet a throwback to ultra-difficult high score games.

----

- Honorable Mention: I give an honorable mention to Chess. Chess is probably best "game" ever, and it has indeed seen many home console and handheld iterations. I'm not good at it, but seriously respect knuckles to Chess for its durability as a game.

Top Bottom