• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Astral Dog

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

200.gif

I thought it looked fantastic for the OG Switch hardware.
So now its the original switch hardware

Last edited:
Man, I am so HYPED for Hyrule Warriors. The prospect of seeing that iteration of Hyrule before The Calamity is mouth-watering. This was such a shrewd move on Nintendo's part. Can't wait for the sequel and more BOTW gameplay, but Hyrule Warriors has shot to the top of my most wanted list. Already pre-ordered it. The next 6 weeks is going to be a painful, painful wait.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Watching Pikmin 3 on Switch, so soon after playing Super Mario Sunshine on Switch, I’m just hit by the urge to have all my old favorites on this platform, available to play wherever.

I’d almost like to see Nintendo adopt an Xbox-like philosophy of having all their games available on each new system. It’s actually more appropriate for Nintendo — there are fewer and fewer older Xbox games I’m interested in, but Nintendo’s remain spookily almost every bit as relevant as they were when they came out.

Whether I have to pay, or its BC, is honestly irrelevant. I just want Nintendo’s full pool of titles to come to each system. NSO is a good start, provided it doesn’t just restart from scratch when the Switch 2 comes out.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Watching Pikmin 3 on Switch, so soon after playing Super Mario Sunshine on Switch, I’m just hit by the urge to have all my old favorites on this platform, available to play wherever.

I’d almost like to see Nintendo adopt an Xbox-like philosophy of having all their games available on each new system. It’s actually more appropriate for Nintendo — there are fewer and fewer older Xbox games I’m interested in, but Nintendo’s remain spookily almost every bit as relevant as they were when they came out.

Whether I have to pay, or its BC, is honestly irrelevant. I just want Nintendo’s full pool of titles to come to each system. NSO is a good start, provided it doesn’t just restart from scratch when the Switch 2 comes out.
Agree.

The Nvidia-ARM acquisition might actually be a boon for Nintendo assuming it ensures a bright future for Tegra chip that powers the Switch. I don't see any reason why Nintendo should not have back compat going forward barring any major architecture change or form factor change. If we see Nintendo continue to iterate on Tegra then Switch games would be able to run just like they do Switch today. The NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube emulators used in NSO+Mario All Stars would also work. The Wii hybrid emulation + port solution used for Galaxy would enable Nintendo to quickly port Wii titles to work with more traditional controls. The Wii U library has largely already been ported over to Switch. The only gaps would be GameBoy, DS, and 3DS. GameBoy+DS shouldn't be a problem as they have existing emulators and would just need to port them to Switch, granted the latter would require handheld mode.

All of that said I don't see any excuse for not having some form of BC available going forward for every major Nintendo console and handheld bar 3DS.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I agree with this, but I don't think there's anything less interesting to me than BC. Would much rather shell out $60 or whatever it is for a great game that they take the time to make even better.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
When exactly will the Pikmin 3 demo out today? I've been lurking on the US and EU eShops and haven't seen the demo so far.
There’s a demo? Excellent. Given I didn’t really get it watching videos perhaps the demo can sell it to me.

Hudo

There’s a demo? Excellent. Given I didn’t really get it watching videos perhaps the demo can sell it to me.
Yeah, wasn't really clearly conveyed during the Treehouse stream but there will be one:

I can recommend the Pikmin games wholeheartedly! One of my favorite Nintendo franchises, but I like (real-time) strategy games in general, so I might be biased. I still hope that Advance Wars will return one day.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I played like 15 minutes of Pikmin 3 on the WiiU. Seemed fun?

I also want to play Pikmin 1 and 2 at some point. I guess I need to pick up the GC versions at some point. As I recall, 3 was supposed to be the best, though?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I played like 15 minutes of Pikmin 3 on the WiiU. Seemed fun?

I also want to play Pikmin 1 and 2 at some point. I guess I need to pick up the GC versions at some point. As I recall, 3 was supposed to be the best, though?

I liked 2 best. 3 was an awesome middle point between both games (timed or endlessly open) though.

Tried the demo and felt the same. Same great game; fairly unsurprising. If anyone else is a veteran, I recommend just jumping into mission mode to see how it turned out on Switch. The tutorial/slow start is a bit annoying when you’ve seen it before and it’s just a demo.

I’ll definitely replay this sometime when I’m in the mood for it.

As an aside, I did feel like the camera was a little zoomed out for a handheld game. It’s still perfectly fine, but notable. Probably one to play more on the TV.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So what’s everyone playing? I’m currently taking a little bit of a break from 3D Mario so I don’t get too sick of it - focusing on Super Mario World instead on the Switch plus a bit of Streets Of Rage, while on PC I’m having my first proper play through of Baldurs Gate 1 (I hit all the big RPGs last year - KOTOR 1/2, Mass Effect 1/2/some-of-3, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Disco Elysium and others) but haven’t done a proper old school top down RPG. Might get back to FF7 on Switch once I’ve done BG1/2 (unless 3 is finished by then) and of course Cyberpunk is coming up.

JimiNutz

Banned
I can't stop playing Mario Kart 8 online.
Time just flies by when I'm playing it.

It can be an incredibly cruel game though. Getting shelled a few seconds from victory and then finishing 4th happens way too often but I still love it. Does anyone here play it regularly online anymore?

I was supposed to be starting my second Luigi's Mansion 3 playthrough for Halloween with the girlfriend. We originally played through it last year and really enjoyed it but this time we are going to try and collect everything. She's addicted to Mario 35 at the moment though.

Shaqazooloo

So what’s everyone playing? I’m currently taking a little bit of a break from 3D Mario so I don’t get too sick of it - focusing on Super Mario World instead on the Switch plus a bit of Streets Of Rage, while on PC I’m having my first proper play through of Baldurs Gate 1 (I hit all the big RPGs last year - KOTOR 1/2, Mass Effect 1/2/some-of-3, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Disco Elysium and others) but haven’t done a proper old school top down RPG. Might get back to FF7 on Switch once I’ve done BG1/2 (unless 3 is finished by then) and of course Cyberpunk is coming up.
I'm trying to get some RPGs out of my backlog so I'm starting with Mary Skelter 2 which I wasnt really into when I played an hour or so last year but now that they've introduced some interesting mechanics I'm able to put some time into it. I'm hoping to put 20-30 hours into it per week to get it done so I can maybe start a Final Fantasy.

I'm playing Rayman Legends on the side. Probably the best 2D Platformer ever or at least within the past decade. The only thing that maybe holds it back is the former Wii U Gamepad gimmick: Murphy, but they handled the transition well with him imo.

Super Mario Sunshine is off and on..

Finally, since I no longer play Smash Ultimate I figure I might as well see if Rivals of Aether could be my platform fighter go to on Switch and I'm in love with it. The Shmovement is so good and it's awesome to control. Definitely gonna try to get good at it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to get some RPGs out of my backlog so I'm starting with Mary Skelter 2 which I wasnt really into when I played an hour or so last year but now that they've introduced some interesting mechanics I'm able to put some time into it. I'm hoping to put 20-30 hours into it per week to get it done so I can maybe start a Final Fantasy.
Death end re;Quest is the superior Compile Heart game. If you can get it for cheap and don't mind reading pick that up next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jooxed

Gold Member

finished final fantasy x and it’s actually one of the worst in the series for me I hated it. Working on Final Fantsy xii now and I love it so far.

playing hades and monster Hunter on the side.

Jooxed

Gold Member
If you don't mind me asking, what did you dislike about FFX?

I think i didn’t like the sphere leveling system and I had no real attachment to the characters there were kind of bland and corny to me. The setting was great but I constantly felt like I was walking down a hallway.

mainly it was the leveling system though.

I understand people love the game it just wasn’t for me.

Eevee86

Still doing a few runs in Hades each day, higher difficulty each time. Pretty sure I've done all the story content at this point. Doing some random things in Animal Crossing each day. My Shantae game finally shipped from LRG so ill be moving onto that soon. Also got Lost Ember from the Kickstarter I backed but haven't started it yet.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m just playing Sunshine and Animal Crossing. A little Fortnite on One X when the urge strikes.

I’ve been generally enjoying Sunshine so much, I kind of just wanted to focus on it solely, as my only single player game, without scattering the experience through several others.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I’m just playing Sunshine and Animal Crossing. A little Fortnite on One X when the urge strikes.

I’ve been generally enjoying Sunshine so much, I kind of just wanted to focus on it solely, as my only single player game, without scattering the experience through several others.

how are you enjoying the fall stuff in AC?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So what’s everyone playing? I’m currently taking a little bit of a break from 3D Mario so I don’t get too sick of it - focusing on Super Mario World instead on the Switch
Donkey Kong Country 2. never beat it before. love this game!

i beat 64 and Galaxy, still need to 120 Galaxy, then it's on to tackle Sunshine.

I've been playing Ys Origin after I finished 3D All-Stars. So far, I have really enjoyed it. I should really look into more Ys games later on.

It's a really, really good series with a legacy almost as long as Zelda. It's too bad it never quite caught on in the West but that said, most of them are available on Steam or some other platforms.

-Arcadia-

Banned
how are you enjoying the fall stuff in AC?

It's not quite here yet. Waiting for the trees to change (they're getting there slowly) and all of that. But all the mentions in the game to it are really cool, as is growing pumpkins, and buying Halloween candy, furniture, and sort of clothes (been seeing a lot of silly accessories and such which I presume is for it).

I definitely recommend jumping in now and getting an early start, for the most awesome Halloween, but it doesn't quite feel totally Fall yet.

Humdinger

I'm a couple weeks into owning a Switch now. A few random thoughts...

Love the sleep mode function. It's so easy to access, and so quick to resume.

One thing I really appreciate about Zelda BotW is that it gives you plenty of space where nothing much is happening. You can just wander, relax, and take in the scenery. You don't have to always be on guard. There isn't something happening every 10 seconds to keep the attention-deficit crowd engaged. The game gives you plenty of breathing room. It really helps with the sense of immersion and exploration.

People were talking on the previous page about DLSS and whether we could hope for 4K on an upgraded Switch. I'd just like to toss in the idea that 1440p is a wonderful resolution, if done well. The PS4 Pro had stunning games that were checkerboarded up to 1440p, and these games were every bit as beautiful, if not moreso, than those at 4K. If they could hit that mark, that would really take the games to the next level, visually. 4K gets over-emphasized as a target, imo. Beautiful things can happen at 1440p. Most people can't even tell the difference between a good 1440p and 4K anyway. Digital Foundry get out their microscopes and spot the differences, but for most people, it's not noticeable or worth fussing about.

-Arcadia-

Banned
One thing I really appreciate about Zelda BotW is that it gives you plenty of space where nothing much is happening. You can just wander, relax, and take in the scenery. You don't have to always be on guard. There isn't something happening every 10 seconds to keep the attention-deficit crowd engaged. The game gives you plenty of breathing room. It really helps with the sense of immersion and exploration.

Did you, by any chance, play Far Cry 5? That's why this is so important, imo. They actually had a neat world with lots of little things to do, but I couldn't enjoy it for one second, because the game was absolutely obsessed with making sure there wasn't one second of unused space. It was ridiculous overreaction to open world criticism, almost as if there was an AI program watching, throwing an enemy or wild animal, every time something hadn't happened for a few seconds.

BotW should show everyone how you can pace a game, and make it really interesting and profound during the quiet moments too. You don't need ADHD engagement, nor do you need to be a 'rubber band the stick up while the character walks for 30 minutes across uninteresting terrain' kind of open world.

Humdinger

Did you, by any chance, play Far Cry 5? That's why this is so important, imo. They actually had a neat world with lots of little things to do, but I couldn't enjoy it for one second, because the game was absolutely obsessed with making sure there wasn't one second of unused space. It was ridiculous overreaction to open world criticism, almost as if there was an AI program watching, throwing an enemy or wild animal, every time something hadn't happened for a few seconds.

BotW should show everyone how you can pace a game, and make it really interesting and profound during the quiet moments too. You don't need ADHD engagement, nor do you need to be a 'rubber band the stick up while the character walks for 30 minutes across uninteresting terrain' kind of open world.

That's funny. Far Cry 5 was exactly the game I had in mind, when I wrote "There isn't something happening every 10 seconds to keep the attention-deficit crowd engaged." A lot of open-world games are over-stuffed, but Far Cry 5 took the cake. I enjoyed the previous games well enough, but Lord, you couldn't walk for 15 seconds without something happening.

I was reading a book on enjoying nature last night, and one of the things the author mentions is that kids don't like to play outside much anymore, because when they do, nature isn't as "exciting" as TV and videogames portray it. Things don't happen all the time. Nature is slow. The kids go sit by a pond and they get bored, because the fish aren't entertaining them by jumping around, and there aren't birds fluttering all over. Nothing "exciting" is going on. One boy said that he liked to play inside better, "because that's where all the electrical outlets are." On the one hand, I get it. I like electrical outlets, too. But on the other hand, we are training ourselves to need constant external stimulation and excitement. It's not good for us. Puts us out of tune with the world.

I like Zelda's approach better. Part of what I enjoy about RPGs is a semi-facsimile of being in an outdoor, natural environment. Part of that is world and art design, but another part is pacing, as you say. Sure, BotW has things going on. I don't go for more than a minute or two without running into something interesting. But there is a rhythm to it -- stuff happens, then there's a lull, stuff happens, and then nothing for a while. Activity, relaxation. Inhale, exhale.

With Far Cry, and with a lot of other games (overstuffed AC games come to mind, too), it's stuff going on continually. There's no rhythm of activity and pause; it's all busyness. No chance to just meander, wander, relax, and take things in.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Today one half of my games package arrived from Japan the arcade controller for project diva on switch, just waiting for the other half to turn up with the game so i can put this badboy to full use in the meantime my regular switch games are getting played with this lol.
NnYmrYU.jpg

c9kKQx7.jpg

AnvPooa.jpg

What on Earth is that? Looks cool whatever it is.

Grabbed the Pikmin demo and was pleasantly surprised. Didn’t think it would be my thing but it’s quite fun to play with. Has a certain charm, for whatever reason it puts me in mind of Gisnts Citizen Kabuto. No idea why.

Impotaku

What on Earth is that? Looks cool whatever it is.

Grabbed the Pikmin demo and was pleasantly surprised. Didn’t think it would be my thing but it’s quite fun to play with. Has a certain charm, for whatever reason it puts me in mind of Gisnts Citizen Kabuto. No idea why.

It's the official arcade controller for hatsune miku project diva megamix game, pretty much replicates the arcade. here's a vid of it in action it's a pretty cool rhythm game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Today one half of my games package arrived from Japan the arcade controller for project diva on switch, just waiting for the other half to turn up with the game so i can put this badboy to full use in the meantime my regular switch games are getting played with this lol.
NnYmrYU.jpg

c9kKQx7.jpg

AnvPooa.jpg
Did you just spend 700 dollars on a mini controller son?

Top Bottom