• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I put a lot of time into that game, and I don't think I would have if I would have gotten all the rare blades without trying. I liked the randomness of the system. I don't mean to imply that everyone should like it, just that I enjoyed the surprise when those rare blades popped up.
I'm just messing around. The rates could have been a little better but I enjoyed the game over all.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Will 6yo be better with switch or lite ? My nephew is crazy about Mario odyssey on yt
Get him the real deal bro. Switch > Switch Lite any day. Handhelds are cool and all, but the most memories will be made playing on console imo. Where everybody will be able to see, play, interact, have fun. Switch Lite is basically a one player experience if we’re going to be realistic here

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hmm. I don’t know what he likes, but speaking for what I’d like, handing a valuable videogame system to a six year old, lol, I think the Lite’s unibody design is possibly more suited to taking typical abuse, drops, accidents, tempers, etc., from children.

I don’t know though. Does he seem like he’d like to play more on the TV and such? Or does he have siblings to play with, or friends that he likes to game with? Because the TV and single-system multiplayer capability of the regular Switch would be a much better choice in that case.
Ah the coop... That's right, but the rigid switch lite.., I guess full switch. I would prefer it myself

Was I wrong to criticize SMG2 as hard as I had in the past? I thought the majority of the stars were always a bore-fest. Just going through the motions basically the entire game through. I yearned for a great challenge, and it seldom came within the collecting of the main stars imo. Did I miss anything substantial by stopping after completing the game?

My friend, I believe you missed what I consider perhaps the most difficult challenge in any 3D Mario game to date: "The Perfect Run". It took me forever to finish up that level. You only reach it by completing everything else. Also, you probably didn't do much, if any, of the final world "World S".

I preferred SMG2 myself, but due to the difficulty I had in completing the game it almost knocks it below SMG1 for me (I don't enjoy sadistic completion challenges).

Cutty Flam

Banned
My friend, I believe you missed what I consider perhaps the most difficult challenge in any 3D Mario game to date: "The Perfect Run". It took me forever to finish up that level. You only reach it by completing everything else. Also, you probably didn't do much, if any, of the final world "World S".

I preferred SMG2 myself, but due to the difficulty I had in completing the game it almost knocks it below SMG1 for me (I don't enjoy sadistic completion challenges).
That looked pretty intense, checked out a video on it just a min ago. Are the latter half of the stars all similar in difficulty? Because I was fairly unimpressed with most of the 80-100+ stars I did attain during my playthrough before beating the game. I'll definitely have to play that game a second time and this time go for 100% completion

I think the toughest game I've played among all the Super Mario games, is probably Super Mario Bros. 3

Cutty Flam

Banned
Ah the coop... That's right, but the rigid switch lite.., I guess full switch. I would prefer it myself
Playing on the big tv is healthier too. With the Nintendo Switch library being so plentiful, (and there's no shortage of amazing games on top of that) you don't want your nephew looking down at a handheld for thousands of hours playing all these fun games. And it's likely going to be thousands of hours he'll play too; if he likes Mario there are dozens of Mario games he'll be able to play on the Switch many of them on sale from time to time. You have to think too, that's just Mario, there are a lot of fun titles to play. That amount of time looking down at a handheld gaming console is going to be very tough on the spine and overall body as he games more and more. Better to go with the regular Switch. I'd also highly recommend the Nintendo Switch's Pro Controller. I was pretty on the fence and cynical about it measuring up with the Xbox 360 Controller I was comparing it to at first. But it's actually the best controller I've ever played with feel wise, the weight in your hands is perfect, looks sleek, overall it's right there with the Gamecube controller which I consider to be the best

mickaus

EikeWbPX0AIAcPY
Galaxy 2 DLC for a limited time game? Bad Nintendo. They should at least make it purchasable separately if they go that route.

ExpandKong

Banned
Hey is Okami good

It's been in my backlog since the PS2 release and I'm doing the no new games in 2020 thing and it's installed on my Switch already so I'm just wondering if I should just play it already.

I hear it's like Zelda and I hear it's very long.

Eevee86

Hey is Okami good

It's been in my backlog since the PS2 release and I'm doing the no new games in 2020 thing and it's installed on my Switch already so I'm just wondering if I should just play it already.

Probably sixty hours first time through if you do everything. Still my favorite game after all these years.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hey is Okami good

Okami really works for some people and really doesn't work for others. It does require a certain amount of patience. I absolutely adore it - I think it's a better Zelda than most Zelda games.

Shaqazooloo

EA and Stellar Entertainment have officially announced Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered. The racer, a redone version of the original title that shipped a decade ago, comes to Switch on November 13.

Jooxed

Gold Member

EA and Stellar Entertainment have officially announced Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered. The racer, a redone version of the original title that shipped a decade ago, comes to Switch on November 13.

For 60$ don't forget haha

-Arcadia-

Banned
Hey is Okami good

First off, this.

It's good. A little filler-y and somewhat dated, but it's worth checking out for sure.

Also what Danny said about patience.

But I absolutely adored it, my most recent time through it on Switch a couple of years ago. It's an amazing, epic adventure with creativity and magic like we just don't really see any more in games, outside of Nintendo stuff, and a few others. You get so incredibly, ridiculously much back for your $20, or whatever it goes for these days.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Nintendo Life is speculating that MHR could coincide with the release of a Switch refresh, similar to how the 3DS refresh went with that Monster Hunter title. Makes sense but who really knows.

A really good guess. Nintendo likes to release hardware in March as well, which is the end of their fiscal year, where they can really raise the numbers and go out with a bang.

I'd be in for a Switch refresh, but I do wonder what kind of refresh we'd be looking at. Does the housing stay the same, or is it a new redesign too? The jump from DS to DS Lite was shocking. The jump from 3DS to New 3DS, not as much. I don't know what Nintendo could do to radically improve the Switch.

I'd be in for a Switch refresh, but I do wonder what kind of refresh we'd be looking at. Does the housing stay the same, or is it a new redesign too? The jump from DS to DS Lite was shocking. The jump from 3DS to New 3DS, not as much. I don't know what Nintendo could do to radically improve the Switch.

Well, they might be utilizing DLSS to output better resolution/image quality as well as an improved chip for higher framerates. That would be more than enough for me. It would be a shame for a game like MHR to languish in "targeting 30fps" hell.

Jooxed

Gold Member

I would expect a bigger screen (extending to nearly the edges) and a little more processing power. Maybe the uprez as well.

-Arcadia-

Banned

I think a redesign could be interesting, looking at things like no bezel screens coming to $350 mainstream phones, which seems to be where Jooxed Jooxed 's thoughts are as well.

A 2021 revision of the Switch, four years after the original, may have a lot of opportunities to do things differently with the design, especially given that this seems possibly a premium device.

ExpandKong

Banned
First off, this.

Also what Danny said about patience.

But I absolutely adored it, my most recent time through it on Switch a couple of years ago. It's an amazing, epic adventure with creativity and magic like we just don't really see any more in games, outside of Nintendo stuff, and a few others. You get so incredibly, ridiculously much back for your $20, or whatever it goes for these days.

Think I picked it up during a sale some time last year for a tenner.

I've got two toddlers at home, I'm a goddamn wellspring of patience at this point. I don't think I'd be able to finish a game like this now if it weren't for the Switch's portability + sleep mode though.

Guess I will bump it up in the queue...

That looked pretty intense, checked out a video on it just a min ago. Are the latter half of the stars all similar in difficulty? Because I was fairly unimpressed with most of the 80-100+ stars I did attain during my playthrough before beating the game. I'll definitely have to play that game a second time and this time go for 100% completion

I think the toughest game I've played among all the Super Mario games, is probably Super Mario Bros. 3

After recently replaying SMB3 I'd agree with you for average difficulty, and for 2D games. SMG2 spikes the difficulty at the end so, for me, it's harder to complete than SMB3.

Most of the green stars are not too difficult to collect, think of an extended scavenger hunt. It's really just a fun traversal of levels you've been in, but now you're targeting specific locations and trying to figure out how to reach them (some are rather tricky). It may not be your cup of tea, but I'd recommend trying to collect at least some to see. The biggest issue (for me) is having to exit and re-enter a level each time. It would have improved gameplay like 1000% if you could collect all the stars while staying in the level (like Odyssey). Now THAT would be a worthy change for a remastered version.

I would rather Nintendo just have a brand new console in 2022-2023 than a "switch pro".

Nintendo releasing new hardware within year one as competitors is a very "not Nintendo" move. They haven't done that since the Gamecube era. They like to stay far away from other companies new consoles and wait until things have died down.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
A really good guess. Nintendo likes to release hardware in March as well, which is the end of their fiscal year, where they can really raise the numbers and go out with a bang.

Is it just me or does that Monster Hunter Rise footage look better and run better than what we're *used* to seeing performance wise on the OG Switch? Any chance they
were using the "refreshed" hardware for that?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I hear its pretty GACHA filled.
It has a GACHA system yes but it isn't filled with it. You can play the game (as of now) without spending a cent and beat every thing it throws your way. RATES could be better though.
I've been lurking in that Genshin Impact OT, and I'm a bit envious. Apparently it's coming to the Switch at some point, but no time soon. If anyone in this thread is playing, let me know how it is.

Idojo00.png

Pretty much this.

The only thing I liked more on BOTW was the physics.

I hope you guys get a good port, enjoying it so far on the 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Is it just me or does that Monster Hunter Rise footage look better and run better than what we're *used* to seeing performance wise on the OG Switch? Any chance they
were using the "refreshed" hardware for that?

I would personally chalk that up to the exclusive effect. We’ll have to see, but everything made specifically for a platform gets a nice little boost.

Super Mario Bros. 35 is so addictive. I played it for hours last night. I want to know how the heck someone gets all of those Lakitus on my screen at the end. I had like a dozen of them twice. I rarely get level 4-1 to show up.

DESTROYA

I've been lurking in that Genshin Impact OT, and I'm a bit envious. Apparently it's coming to the Switch at some point, but no time soon. If anyone in this thread is playing, let me know how it is.
I’ve played it on a tablet and the virtual controls work OK I still hate them.
Game looks great but BOTW far outshines it.
Only reason I haven’t tried it on PC is because the game installs some anticheat spyware on PC......yeah no thanks communists China.

Top Bottom