• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

My main concern with the dualsense is that its triggers might start to break, the mechanism that adds tension and/or locks it in place is somewhat rudimentary. We'll see if I'm right, I'm usually not.

Except when it comes to Fire Emblem waifus.

If it’s anything like the DS3 or DS4, I’ll wear out the left thumb stick before that happens.

Last edited:
If it’s anything like the DS3 or DS4, I’ll wear out the left thumb stick before that happens.

Launch DS4 was such a fucking piece of shit, the slight revision improved it greatly.

Fire-Emblem-Three-Houses.jpg

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
lots of things going on with the smash community these days. I don't know what nintendo's deal is, but they've been acting like a bunch of jerks for a while in terms of not supporting people who actively show off their game. Vid is 30 minutes

Nintendo could certainly do better with Smash at the pro level but at the same time I totally understand their reluctance to do so. Associating their brand with people in the community like that is dangerous for them. It becomes a liability. It is especially difficult with "gamer" types because frankly so many of them exhibit reprehensible behavior and generally lack social skills. I'd argue that Nintendo fans can be even worse about those things than others. There is just so much baggage that comes along with it. Managing a community while simultaneously taking proactive measures to mitigate what brand damage can be done when a pro player does something wrong is an incredibly fine line to walk. I don't fault Nintendo for choosing to use distance to avoid the issue entirely. I think back to this summer's sexual assault accusations made amongst the Smash pro scene that included minors. Had Nintendo had a closer relationship with them it would have likely done some damage to their brand.

With the latest controversy I understand their motivation for putting an end to the Melee tournament that was being held using emulators and unofficial netcode. I think Nintendo can get a little aggressive when it comes to legal action against fan games and rom patches. At the same time there are plenty of projects that they have allowed "fly under the radar". Sometimes so really cool fan projects get killed and I personally hate to see that but I also understand Nintendo's desire to protect their IP.

Woopah

it's not even that interesting leaks, just stuff that most people already expected. I know Emily and Kelios have sources but not sure about the other person.

Any first impressions? How well does it run on the Switch?

Sofar it seems fine to me. The shadows are a bit jittery and the anti aliasing is noticeable. Runs at 30FPS and seems stable. Don't know much about the PS4 version though, but I'm guessing it does the details better and perhaps has a higher framerate?

Other than that, combat is surprisingly good. You can use your scarf to move around enemies and go from to the other or help juggle them, the versatility it brings is nice. You got a light, heavy and special attack and directional inputs can change your moves so you're not just bashing a single button. SO FAR it indicates to me that it's not too much and not too little variety wise which is something I generally want in these types of sidescrolling action games, kinda like the Vanillaware stuff although this is potentially deeper than what they usually do. But then the make or break for a game like this will be enemy variety and bosses, so that remains to be seen.

Haven't had experience with the farming bits, hope that won't be tedious, could throw a wrench in the wheel. Overall though I'm quite positive, feels nice to play and that really classic Japanese vibe and story is fantastic.

Also look at this little bastard:

tamajii200623.png

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Since we are talking about Sony controlers am I the only one who would buy left joycon with symetrical analogue stick? :D

Yes, you are. Symetrical needs to die, unless it's for some kind of retro 2D hardware.

Why would you want your primary means of control placed at the secondary location? The controller is the single reason I haven't owned a PlayStation console since they came out with the Dualshock for PSX. Utter piece of shit.

-Arcadia-

Banned
People get so worked up over analog stick locations.

I’ve been switching back and forth between controllers forever, and I’ve never thought either way was anything but fine. I suppose I prefer how Nintendo and Microsoft do it? But I played all my big console games on PS4 for years, and never had a problem.

That said, I thought the Wii U controller was the coolest thing. There was something really neat about that set-up, especially for camera stick-heavy games.

Mistake

Nintendo could certainly do better with Smash at the pro level but at the same time I totally understand their reluctance to do so. Associating their brand with people in the community like that is dangerous for them. It becomes a liability. It is especially difficult with "gamer" types because frankly so many of them exhibit reprehensible behavior and generally lack social skills. I'd argue that Nintendo fans can be even worse about those things than others. There is just so much baggage that comes along with it. Managing a community while simultaneously taking proactive measures to mitigate what brand damage can be done when a pro player does something wrong is an incredibly fine line to walk. I don't fault Nintendo for choosing to use distance to avoid the issue entirely. I think back to this summer's sexual assault accusations made amongst the Smash pro scene that included minors. Had Nintendo had a closer relationship with them it would have likely done some damage to their brand.

With the latest controversy I understand their motivation for putting an end to the Melee tournament that was being held using emulators and unofficial netcode. I think Nintendo can get a little aggressive when it comes to legal action against fan games and rom patches. At the same time there are plenty of projects that they have allowed "fly under the radar". Sometimes so really cool fan projects get killed and I personally hate to see that but I also understand Nintendo's desire to protect their IP.
I completely understand what you mean, but the problem is that they keep sending mixed signals and pissing off organizers that put their time and money into putting everything together. If they just came out with what their rules are, and what they expect, everyone involved would stand to benefit. Anyway, Hbox has always been there, so if you have the time for his video, he outlines the whole ordeal. Sounds frustrating

Eevee86

I completely understand what you mean, but the problem is that they keep sending mixed signals and pissing off organizers that put their time and money into putting everything together. If they just came out with what their rules are, and what they expect, everyone involved would stand to benefit. Anyway, Hbox has always been there, so if you have the time for his video, he outlines the whole ordeal. Sounds frustrating
From what I've heard, Nintendo just aren't okay with them using a bunch of illegal copies of Melee or something? Why are they in the wrong again? I bet they wish they could just tell Melee fans to shut the fuck up at this point. Supporting it does nothing for them and may actually hurt the current game.

Mistake

From what I've heard, Nintendo just aren't okay with them using a bunch of illegal copies of Melee or something? Why are they in the wrong again? I bet they wish they could just tell Melee fans to shut the fuck up at this point. Supporting it does nothing for them and may actually hurt the current game.
It isn't just about melee. Hbox details how ridiculous it has been to work with nintendo, and get straight answers regarding events or steaming. They'll make crazy rules, change their mind at a whim, or straight up go in and lay the ban hammer. They're inconsistent in what they want, and basically keep making the scene hopeful only to upset everybody

Last edited:

Eevee86

It isn't just about melee. Hbox details how ridiculous it has been to work with nintendo, and get straight answers regarding events or steaming. They'll make crazy rules, change their mind at a whim, or straight up go in and lay the ban hammer. They're inconsistent in what they want, and basically keep making the scene hopeful only to upset everybody
I feel like they've made it pretty clear they've never really wanted a scene. Especially after all that stuff that happened recently, they certainly don't want to be associated with a bunch of smash players sexually harassing minors.

MagnesG

Banned
There's a definitive line on where Nintendo acts though, where anything in the grey area where they created too much noise because of it will force them to move.
There's nothing confusing about it and trying to create fake outrage will only lessen the goodwill of the players.

Last edited:
One of the good things of living in China is that I can easily buy Japanese games here. I was tempted to buy the SMT Nocturne but I'm pretty sure it doesn't support English, which sucks.

And today I'll get my Astral Chain copy, dunno if I should wait until I beat XBC or just get into it straight away

Shaqazooloo

It has to do with Slippi, a mod of Melee that allows for rollback netplay, it has to be on emulator though so as much I love Melee Nintendo is in the right on this imo.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
No,

I log in every once in a while and play a couple courses. Love seeing how creative people are. But it’s really not for me either
I keep thinking about buying it but never commit. I'm not particularly fond of platformers. There are a few I enjoy, Mario being one of them, but they are few and far between for me. I'm also exceptionally bad at them and don't care to sink hours into improving so the more difficult/next to impossible courses wouldn't be an option. Mario Maker, even at $40 on sale isn't something I think I would get a ton of mileage out of. Would rather put my money towards another title.

Woopah

Couple of interesting things in this article:

1. Nintendo has started manufacturing Switches in Malaysia
2. Usually manufacturing numbers go down in December after the last holiday shipment but this year Nintendo has asked them to operate at maximum capacity (i.e they expect a big Q1 next year)

Last edited:
Couple of interesting things in this article: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gafs-nintendo-discussion-news-and-speculation-ot.1511476/

1. Nintendo has started manufacturing Switches in Malaysia
2. Usually manufacturing numbers go down in December after the last holiday shipment but this year Nintendo has asked them to operate at maximum capacity (i.e they expect a big Q1 next year)

I'm sure we were meant to get some huge game(s) by the end of this year but they've been pushed back for obvious reasons. If that's actually the case then a really strong Q1 sounds pretty logical if they intend to launch em then.

I keep thinking about buying it but never commit. I'm not particularly fond of platformers. There are a few I enjoy, Mario being one of them, but they are few and far between for me. I'm also exceptionally bad at them and don't care to sink hours into improving so the more difficult/next to impossible courses wouldn't be an option. Mario Maker, even at $40 on sale isn't something I think I would get a ton of mileage out of. Would rather put my money towards another title.

I’m not creative at all so the game is not my cup of tea. I love the idea though. I’m all for playing other’s levels.

Last edited:
How awesome would it be if the Switch got the Dark Forces series and Shadows of the Empire? I mean we have Jedi Knight II & Academy, Doom, Duke Nukem, and Episode I Racer.

Nintendo, just do it!

Top Bottom