• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Xbox360 Homebrew & Exploit Thread

Alec

I bought a RROD-fixed Xenon JTAG preloaded with XBR3 a little while ago and never really had a chance to get my hands dirty with the cool stuff until now.

Seeing as how Team XBR is pissed about the PartnerNet leaks and probably won't release an XBR4 for the newest dashboard update, I went ahead and used Flash360 to dump my NAND and Xell to get my CPU Key. Then I used FreeBoot Tool 0.032 Maker to make me a new NAND and went back to Flash360 to replace XBR with FreeBoot.

Next I wanted to get my imported Guilty Gear Isuka running as an Xbox Original, so I booted into XeXMenu and dumped the game, then FTP'd in and copied it over to my PC. Used Qwix to make it into an ISO, then ISO2GOD to turn it into an Xbox Original.

Went to go slap it on, and noticed that I didn't have a Partition2...crap! The exploited dashboards format the hard drives without a Partition2! Used HDD Compatibility Fixer and booted up an Xbox Original on my Live console to download the emulation files. Put the hacked Xbox1 Emulator on Partition2 and I was ready to go. GGI plays like a champ. =)

Used the same process to convert some of my other fighting games and apparently left the Xbox on too long...another RROD! 1 towel-trick later and I'm running again, but for how long?

FYI: SNK vs. Capcom Chaos boots and is "playable," but many of the images are garbled and it's impossible to have a real match. I've heard tale of a custom loader (for specifying emulation settings) for the hacked emulator, but I don't think it's ever seen the light of day. I'd love to use a FightStick on SVC Chaos.

georgc

Hey guys. I'm really interested in modding a 360. I just have a few questions. Am I able to dual boot? Such as have the legit ok on live dash onboard. And the modded dash on a chip? Also since the xbox1 emu is opened couldn't I use that to use XBMC? and the last question any new installation methods that would make it easier?

Alec

georgc said:
Hey guys. I'm really interested in modding a 360. I just have a few questions. Am I able to dual boot? Such as have the legit ok on live dash onboard. And the modded dash on a chip? Also since the xbox1 emu is opened couldn't I use that to use XBMC? and the last question any new installation methods that would make it easier?

With the Cygnos modchip, you can dual boot to enable homebrew and Live on the same console. (The only way to dual boot if by installing a second nand chip like this.) XBMC does boot with the hacked XB1 Emu, but it literally won't play any video. And no, there are no new install methods to make it easier. =(

So this is a bit of a bump, but I thought it best to put it here rather than start a whole new thread.

Looks like Freestyle Dash 2 is due to be released ( Alpha ) this weekend, for those who are running Freestyle on their Jtag 360's.

Some images of what is capable -
Screen 1
Screen 2

Supports HTTP downloading, dash is now fully customizable, dash autoupdates, live weather information, cpu / gpu temperature readings....etc etc.

Useful to those who might have a JTAG and fancy trying out the alpha build.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
woodsey1982 said:
So this is a bit of a bump, but I thought it best to put it here rather than start a whole new thread.

Looks like Freestyle Dash 2 is due to be released ( Alpha ) this weekend, for those who are running Freestyle on their Jtag 360's.

Some images of what is capable -
Screen 1
Screen 2

Supports HTTP downloading, dash is now fully customizable, dash autoupdates, live weather information, cpu / gpu temperature readings....etc etc.

ugh. I don't know what I like less, the excessive temperature fanspeed free space bar, the poorly aligned logo above the box art, or the floating ball logo changed to what I assume is the freestyle dash logo.

This is the theme I currently have running on my Freestyle dash ( that's not my gamertag btw ) -

xdesk30.jpg

So I'm guessing that the new Freestyle will support a kind of XML skinable theme - so you can put the temp reading anywhere you want.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Yeah, the new freestyle will still be easily skinable. Things are still coming along with the 360 and people are seeming to get a better grasp of what they'll be able to do.

Eiji

Latest Snes360 (v0.32 Beta) is also great too with the wireless controller lag fixed.

A new version of Snes360 has been released - which is of course a Super Nintendo emulator for homebrew 360s.

What's new/fixed:
* Code optimizations (v0.31)
* Added EPX Software filter (v0.31)
* Added Reset Option in pause menu (v0.31)
* Added Screen Resize option in pause menu (v0.31)
* Threaded SRAM autosave. (no more stutter!) (v0.31)
* Fixed input lag issue with wireless controllers (v0.31)
* Fixed graphic glitch issue with Metroid, DKC etc (v0.32)
* Aspect Ratio setting now saved correctly. (v0.32)

Atomski

Yes, someone probably has a picture hosted from a suspicious website.

I wasnt even aware 360 had homebrew.. must have been to much trouble to bother.

-PXG-

pje122 said:
Anyone else getting a malware warning from Chrome when they go to the first page of this thread...?

Yep

I always thought it was odd that we have PS3, Wii and PSP CFW threads, but none for the 360.

Eiji

IMACOMPUTA said:
Is 360 homebrew dead now?
Is there even a n64 or mame emulator out?

Not dead but very dormant, especially due to PS3 being able to run homebrew and there being far more homebrew-able PS3's than JTAG-able 360 phat's before a certain mfg. date and kernel revision.

Top Bottom