• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Xbox360 Homebrew & Exploit Thread

Alpha_eX

Gowans007 said:
It's tempting to get a ebay banned 360 just for a media centre with this.

XBMC would be awesome, any .MKV support yet?

Would be a good idea if the xbox wasn't too loud, drowns out my TV unless I really crank it up. Mind you, my xbox is from 2008 so don't know if this is fixed but when ever mine turns on it sounds like a plane taking off, very distracting.

itxaka said:
Actually it doesn't in case of DLC/XBLA. I had a hard time transferring my Fallout 3 DLC from one console to the other as is locked and I had to poke around with an hex editor after checking some manuals. For XBLA is more automated but it still has to be unlocked.

Thankfully I don't have 350k DLC/games like speevy :p

Didn't know that. Based of what I've read it just seemed like simple drag, drop and play. I think I've heard of other methods similar to having to hex it. I just didn't think it was so involved. I might need to do more reading around about this.

ConfusedMan09

Neo Member
ReXXXSoprano said:
Didn't know that. Based of what I've read it just seemed like simple drag, drop and play. I think I've heard of other methods similar to having to hex it. I just didn't think it was so involved. I might need to do more reading around about this.

Unlocking DLC/XBLA is quite easy, and can be done on the 360 itself. No hexing required. Take a look at XM360 0.9. Once you have the DLC on the 360, open up this app, and hit unlock. Works for everything iv tried so far

Anony

what happens when you need to update your dashboard
and does it affect how you launch games (ie new games that require a higher dashboard)

this may be interesting for me since i dont go online for my 360, but i dont have a spare console to work with so i cant risk it

itxaka

Defeatist
Investigation Team Go! said:
Is there an easier guide to follow? That wiki page looks like it assumes you know a whole lot. I mean, I've done some basic soldering, but I'm not well-versed. I'm still willing to try, though.

Ehh, looks like I found it:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=698328

Thanks! Added to the OP!

what happens when you need to update your dashboard
and does it affect how you launch games (ie new games that require a higher dashboard)

this may be interesting for me since i dont go online for my 360, but i dont have a spare console to work with so i cant risk it

As soon as a new update will appear, the XBRebooter will be updated to have that kernel running patched. And after the first flash, you can update the XBRebooter in 3 minutos from the console itself so updating it is not a problem.

And HOLY FUCK. I can't believe that my scratched Dead Rising is almost complete dumped into my HDD. It always failed when playing it or trying to install it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Also, you do NOT need your DVD drive to work to copy games to the 360. There are a number of ways. You could use ISO2GOD and then FTP the files to your new Hard drive in the MS shell. You could use ISO2GOD and attach your hard drive to the PC and copy the file to the proper location. You could use a USB drive and just copy the ISO to the USB drive and launch it with quickboot or through XexMenu.

Hell, you don't even need a DVD drive in the system anymore if you don't want.

Even better, someone has created a patch so you don't have to switch discs for Mass Effect 2. They even removed the switch disc popup.

DEAR GOD! Both the tutorials on the front page are an old way. You can save a good hour to two doing it the new way. I'll post the link when I get home. No need to use LPT to flash or dump your full Nand, Xellous is the way to go.

Wow, real homebrew on 360. Cool, I would consider getting a second console, but I realised the only thing I use my modded Wii for is playing my import Gamecube games and Harvey Birdman. There aren't any immediate advantages to this that I think will benefit me enough to make the effort, but I'll be keeping an eye to see what's possible in the future.

If an independant team can pull apart Microsoft's Xbox 1 emulator and reopen the work on backwards compatibility, then that might be worth looking into. But then again, I already have a second machine that can play Xbox 1 games... my Xbox.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Yes, I did my first system using the LPT to dump the full nand, not once, but twice which takes about 30 minutes each. Then, I had to flash xell, then get cpu key and flash XBR which took another 30 minutes.

Now, you dump a small portion, inject xellous into xell, flash small portion, turn on xbox hooked up to network, get CPU key, dump full nand (several times if you want, takes about 2 minutes), KV, config, inject KV and config to XBR, inject xellous, put on USB stick, start xbox, watch it flash in under 2 minutes and you're done.

Takes less than 30 minutes once you've done it before. Less than an hour your first go round.

itxaka

Defeatist
SDL libraries ported to the 360 by the great Lantus (Same guy that ported them on the original xbox)

libSDLx360 V0.01

SDL Library for Xbox 360 Consoles

I've had this code for quite some time but its good enough to release. This code is based off the original libSDLx code I wrote for the Xbox over 6 years ago.

The original DX8 audio/video calls were replaced by DX9 stuff and XAudio2 code to work with the Xbox 360.

This is just the source code to build the libraries. No binaries are included so its 100% legal!

Usage
=====

Archive contains 3 folders:

- libSDLx360 contains main SDL project source code
- SDL_ttf360 is SDL TTF project source code
- SDLTest is a sample project showing a simple test of SDL

Basic SDL functionality is up. Graphics/audio/threads/filesystem/joysticks are all in and working nicely.

TODO
====

- Lots of optimizations
- Mouse/Keyboard/cdrom code is not written (yet)
- SDL Mixer doesnt exist (yet)

Help
====

Any source code patches people have will be helpful. Im especially looking into DX9 rendering optimizations and improvements to the software blitter code. Thanks

Greets
======

Greets to the scene.

Download here
===========

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hoy0f1

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I know some of you have avoided doing this because you feel you don't have the skill required to solder and do all the necessary steps. Therefore, I am willing to offer my services to any Gaffer. I will do everything for you for $35 which includes shipping back to you. I am paypal verified and will do the first 2 systems completely free, just pay shipping TO me, I'll pay for it to get back to you.

I hope this can help some of you out that are interested, but scared to take the plunge. Everyone should enjoy a 360 capable of some of the awesome homebrew that's coming.

Feel free to PM me.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
GBA emulator was released today. These guys are also looking at tackling the N64 and PSX. It's coming along.

Also, you can now boot DIRECTLY into Freestyle dash without a disc in the drive as well as get region free!

Region free alone would make the baning worth it. I just never touched a Soldering Iron before in my life so I would be too scared to break my system. I also wish this worked with newer 360s, because it would suck to go get an older, jtag capable, unit only for it to RRoD or E47 on you.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Alright, I'm interested in this. I bought the stuff I need but can't solder for shit. How likely is it that I'm going to screw up my 360? It's an old one that I don't use anyway since it's close to RROD, but I figure I can try to fix that too while I'm at it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Don't solder if you aren't good at it at all. You should either practice a lot first or let someone else do it. You could lift a pad or do worse. I've offered to do a couple completely free for some people here on GAF.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in this, I have a Xenon console that has already been JTAG'd if you can't come across one yourself.

Eiji

A hacked version of the official Xbox 1 emulator for 360 was released.

Features:

• Xbe signature checks removed (lets you run unsigned code)
  • Xbe section hash checks removed (lets u run hacked xbes)
  • Game region checks removed (region free baby!)
  • Game media checks removed (play games from your hard drive)
  • Debug/Devkit xbes supported (run your own xbox1 code)
  • Attempt to play unsupported games (doesn't mean it will work hehe)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
NDS emulation is now also running on JTAG'd 360 systems as well as DOSbox. The emulators are starting to show themselves. Shouldn't be too entirely long before some really great stuff starts happening. We've already got region free and boot directly to dash of choice in this short amount of time.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
squatingyeti said:
Don't solder if you aren't good at it at all. You should either practice a lot first or let someone else do it. You could lift a pad or do worse. I've offered to do a couple completely free for some people here on GAF.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in this, I have a Xenon console that has already been JTAG'd if you can't come across one yourself.

Damn I wish my brother still lived in the US :)
Very nice of you anyway.

Anony

squatingyeti said:
NDS emulation is now also running on JTAG'd 360 systems as well as DOSbox. The emulators are starting to show themselves. Shouldn't be too entirely long before some really great stuff starts happening. We've already got region free and boot directly to dash of choice in this short amount of time.

WHAT
FUCKKKKKKKKK

WHY DID I UPDATE MY XBOX

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, something I've been wondering. If you moved the harddrive off the modded X-box, and used it on a 360 that isn't modded and on Live, would that harddrive get you banned on X-box Live?

Say, like no modded hard-drive, no modded anything. Just contains gamesaves.

The region free ability sounds nice enough to mod a second 360 and get a couple of shooters that aren't region free from Japan and get some achievement points out of it if possible. :lol

RS4-

For those with both a jtag and normal 360, are you guys freely swapping the same HDD between both systems?

I have both a 60 and 250gb hdd. Just wondering if I can just use the 250 on both systems and get rid of my 60?

RS4-

Ex gf sent me an elite she hasn't been using.

Booted it up and still has the blades dashboard :lol Will jtag tonight and see how it goes.

ConfusedMan09

Neo Member
RS4- said:
For those with both a jtag and normal 360, are you guys freely swapping the same HDD between both systems?

I have both a 60 and 250gb hdd. Just wondering if I can just use the 250 on both systems and get rid of my 60?

I'm sure you can. I use the same Memory Unit with my profile and some homebrew apps on it on both my live and jtag consoles, and nothing untoward has happened yet (been about 5 months).

kamspy

Couldn't....you just.......um......use a computer for all this stuff?

Not like, PC gaming, but, ya know, the "must have media centers" that make cracking your xbox open..... worth it? Only region free gaming?

I mean, since drive space really isn't a concern with the USB update thing, what am I missing?

Honest questions. No trollo.

Shaneus

From what I can gather, here's what you need:

A 360 pre-June '09.
A dashboard revision no LATER than 7371. This is the update that came 2nd April 09. If you've updated since then, yer stuffed.
Banned or not doesn't make any difference. Just be aware that if you do any of these modifications, you WILL be banned, regardless of whether you play illegal games online or not.

I'm on the hunt now because I'm pretty sure both my consoles (one which is regularly online and one which hasn't been on since late last year) are both the latest dashboards :( But the stuff that can be done with these seems pretty nuts!

Edit: Wait, I just re-read the OP and this post offers absolutely nothing new. Oh well.

RS4-

What kind of 2.5 HDDs do you guys recommend? I know any sata one is fine, but any specific models or brands? At most, I'll probably go up to is 500, unless there's a $10 difference for a 640 model.

I don't mind doing the 3.5 external, but I guess it's just a matter of convenience. Leaving the hdd exposed, having sata cables and power installed, etc.

RS4- said:
What kind of 2.5 HDDs do you guys recommend? I know any sata one is fine, but any specific models or brands? At most, I'll probably go up to is 500, unless there's a $10 difference for a 640 model.

I don't mind doing the 3.5 external, but I guess it's just a matter of convenience. Leaving the hdd exposed, having sata cables and power installed, etc.

I would recommend this one actually.

link to slickdeals which has the link to Dell and the coupon code

I just bought a similar model from BB for $99.99, now it's on sale for $79.99 at Dell. And, like you were saying, for about $10 more you move from 500gb to 640gb. However, with this deal, you actually pay less than you would normally for 500GB.

I'd also recommend staying away from the 3.5". It just becomes a hassle moving it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Just a heads up for some of you guys looking. Jasper units may have a dash 7363, but NOT be exploitable. The true way to know the manufacture date of a 360 (you know in case someone tried swapping shells on you) is in the dashboard. Here's an example:

Go to system settings->console info: it will show the real serial of the system. You want the last 5 numbers. In this Jasper's case, it is 929xx. The first number of the 5 is the year of manufacture. The second number is the week. In this case, 2009 week 29. That puts the manufacture date in the first part of July which is 2-3 weeks too late.

I'm joining this homebrew scene as soon as they get the 360 as open as the original Xbox. That thing ran XBMC and every emulator under the Sun. If the 360 can do that, I'll get an old/banned unit and go to town on that motherfucker.

Alec

So, those PartnerNet leaks...

So apparently they are going to sell Sonic Adventure by itself, then the extra "DX" content as DLC? I kind of think that's bullshit.

But, there is an achievement about Metal Sonic...maybe something new afterall?

Shaneus

I recently joined this new jtagging phenomenon and I'm incredibly impressed! The HDD loading of 360 and original Xbox games is amazingly convenient. PGR4 is perfect without any of the sound skipping issues that happened when doing a legit hdd install. In addition, the patch that allows you to (at least try to) play all original Xbox games is awesome. Rallisport Challenge 2 runs like a dream!

Still trying to get my head around how the directory structure works, but once I do I'll be putting MAME on there as well.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Shaneus said:
I recently joined this new jtagging phenomenon and I'm incredibly impressed! The HDD loading of 360 and original Xbox games is amazingly convenient. PGR4 is perfect without any of the sound skipping issues that happened when doing a legit hdd install. In addition, the patch that allows you to (at least try to) play all original Xbox games is awesome. Rallisport Challenge 2 runs like a dream!

Still trying to get my head around how the directory structure works, but once I do I'll be putting MAME on there as well.
Any old xbox1 games you didn't have a great luck with? And all the xbox1 games install on hdd, right? Are you using an external usb hd, or a built-in one?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Any of you jtaggers installed an SSD? I've been thinking of getting an Intel 40GB SSD. I don't play many games anymore so 40GB is enough for me.

dak1dsk1

Banned
I'm also hoping for jtag trainers at some point.

Dunno if this is new, but these guys made a list of games that work on the 'hacked xbox1 emulator':

http://www.logic-sunrise.com/news-8...tor-lemulateur-xbox-1-completement-hacke.html

Metal Gear Solid 2 runs fine.

26455846.jpg

This thread has alot of feedback, on which games run and not:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=709015

Top Bottom