• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaikai teasing a big E3 announcement

DrWong

Don't know if already reported if yes please lock/erase, but a French website, Gameblog, just posted a news to say they received an invitation by Gaïkai to a special E3 event:

Translation of a quote coming from the Gaïkai invitation >
Gaikai has major announcements for E3, which has the potential to change the future of video game, the game consoles and the way in which we play.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/29082-e3-une-presentation-qui-va-changer-le-jeu-video-chez-gaikai

Good thing its gaikai and not onlive, image quality and delay were much better from my experience. The only downside was that some games didnt appear to be running at max settings.

Also, lol @ sony keeping with tradition on E3 leaks.

spats

Couldn't give a shit about any of this honestly. I might, if my internet connection was able to handle any sort of streaming like that. :(

I really, really, really hope this will be an optional service. If Sony switches to cloud gaming as their primary platform instead of new hardware they can count me out. But then, we've been hearing about PS4 hardware specs for quite some time, so I don't think they would dump money into R&D if they didn't plan to commercialize it.

99%

Sony's thinking:

1. Build most powerful handheld ever.
2. Rely on cloud gaming for games, which doesn't utilize power of said handheld.

= profit?

This doesn't seem right.

It's the Sony thing. This on Vita would be very cool and could solve any problems associated with backwards comparability on the PS4 although the degradation in image quality on a big TV screen will be jarring

Huh. gekai works here.

Played a few minutes of the wither 2 on there site just now.

It isnt perfect but this could be very interesting on a console.

Phil Harrison worked for Gaikai for a while, didnt he? The plot is thickening! :)

And now he works at Microsoft.

Halo coming to the ps4 confirmed!!!

What games are available on Gaikai?

Still don't think cloud gaming on consoles is a big deal, unless of course, it comes with the added bonus of access to the entire PS1 and PS2 library through cloud.

monome

My My... Gaikai on PS3 or PSCloud console?

I would believe getting Cloud on PS3 is gonna be horrible and frustratring for both consummers, devs and retailers when a cloud console would just come with the Playstation brand power and signal the coming of a large cloud initiative where every connected Sony device can get a slice of the gaming pie.

rdrr gnr

Sony's thinking:

2. Rely on cloud gaming for games, which doesn't utilize power of said handheld.

= profit?

This doesn't seem right.
Seems PS3 oriented. Besides, have you seen Andrew House's comments? Seems like they might take a two-tiered approach.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if they do a tie up with Sony, thats more likely to be sony licensing their tech right? So you can play demos of PS3/Vita games via streaming rather than downloading - possibly even full games. Not likely to be for playing PC games on PS3

If the tech for encoding is lightweight enough, possibly even using that to relaunch remote play for playing PS3 games on Vita?

Can't see it being their new primary delivery method, you still need another gen while the internet gets better speed and penetration, but using it for demos or optional games is a good way to learn with the current gen and then building it in more with PS4

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
So could this work like the ultimate backwards compatibility for next gen consoles?

No need for Sony to design emulator or integrate hardware when they can stream the games to you over the cloud?
Some sort of code reading of your old PS2/PS3 games in new consoles disc drive you give access to the streaming version..

Kafel

Banned
Is this cloud gaming really interesting ? I keep reading that even with a good connection the IQ is shit and there are framerate drops.

Durante

Personally, I strongly dislike the whole concept of cloud gaming, but of the 2 big players Gaikai always seemed less annoying and more realistic by far, so that's something.

Well, I don't dislike everything about the idea of streaming, just the "cloud" part. If I could stream all my PC/PS3 games from my own PC/PS3 to Vita that would be extremely awesome.

Sony's thinking:

= profit?

This doesn't seem right.
Well, at least it also has the best screen and the most control options on a handheld gaming device ever, which would be very useful for cloud gaming.

It is amazing that such a thing comes to be possible, but in my opinion it fragments the business model for Vita at least.

The console is selling so poorly and now Publishers will make even less money from streaming services instead of actual software sales tailored for the specific platform ?

It makes sense for the PS3 though, way to bulletproof it a little more now that Wii U is coming.

I have onlive on my smartphone and I dig it, despite obvious input lag.

Could we see something like future Sony first party titles being developed to run off high end PC's and streamed by Gaikai to the PS3? Streaming exclusive titles that would essentially be "next gen" without the need for any hardware upgrade on the console side? I guess image quality with the stream would be the deciding factor.

rezuth

Is this cloud gaming really interesting ? I keep reading that even with a good connection the IQ is shit and there are framerate drops.

I was pretty impressed with their service, played some Rayman and it was a lot better than anything I have done with Onlive.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I have trouble getting what developers and publishers get out of Cloud gaming. You don't sell any games, customers can't trade in any games since there's nothing to trade and you don't even get to keep even a DD version. I...don't get it.

GopherD

Hmmm...Gaikai enables a custom created streaming module. You can license the tech and modify it for your business.What if it's something like:
- a new version of Remote Play for Vita (streaming all PS3 games to the handheld) or
- being able to play PS3 games on your PC (streaming all PS3 games to the PC) or
- being able to stream PC games to the PS3 (unlikely but nom nom nom)
- streaming BC for PS2 games

All of those options would be pretty sweet.

onlive isn't bad, but I wouldn't use it exclusively due to the frame rate issues, lag, etc. It's good as a place to check out demos, but proper gaming...not in my experience.

Haven't used gaikai, so I'm unsure as to if it's better with regards to those issues with onlive.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Hmm. Backwards compatibility of all PS1 and PS2 (PS3 for PS4) through cloud streaming?

That's how they could sidestep the issues of backwards compatibility related to dropping the cell.
Great minds think alike...

wsippel

Banned
If I had to guess, I'd say Sony will use Gaikai for demos and maybe to stream Playstation games to Bravia TVs or something. It's also a good foundation for "backwards compatibility" on PS4, as emulating a PS3 is nearly impossible. I'm sure we won't see non Playstation games streamed to PS3, and neither will we see Playstation games streamed to devices not made by Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So could this work like the ultimate backwards compatibility for next gen consoles?

No need for Sony to design emulator or integrate hardware when they can stream the games to you over the cloud?
Some sort of code reading of your old PS2/PS3 games in new consoles disc drive you give access to the streaming version..

Yeah, although I still have doubts about running PS3 software off cloud hardware, unless Sony is getting a little more involved on the technical side than I'd imagine they will.

Pretty much every other one of their platforms' software could be run off commodity cloud hardware now, though. And perhaps, importantly, PS4 software too.

I imagine this will start relatively small though. If they're going to make PSone and PS2 games available on these kind of service, they're probably going to have to go through the same rigmarole around licensing individual games as they did for PSone classics on PSN. So it'll probably take a while to build the catalog - assuming it is a single growing catalog, and not a changing mix of games each month or something. I wonder if minis licensing was more flexible, if it'd allow them throw up more games more easily.

NBtoaster

Hmm. Backwards compatibility of all PS1 and PS2 (PS3 for PS4) through cloud streaming?

That's how they could sidestep the issues of backwards compatibility related to dropping the cell.

That is a very nice idea. And because it would only be streaming 480i the bandwidth requirements wouldn't be enormous.

Durante

Hmmm...Gaikai enables a custom created streaming module. You can license the tech and modify it for your business.What if it's something like:
- a new version of Remote Play for Vita (streaming all PS3 games to the handheld) or
- being able to play PS3 games on your PC (streaming all PS3 games to the PC) or
- being able to stream PC games to the PS3 (unlikely but nom nom nom)
- streaming BC for PS2 games

All of those options would be pretty sweet.
All of these would be fantastic. The advantages of streaming without any of the annoyances and loss of control of "cloud" gaming.

I'd be really happy with just being able to stream any PS3 game to Vita, but I just don't see how it could happen. Encoding and streaming a video is far from free in terms of performance.

Hah. Only way Sony can do ps2 emu properly ok the ps3?

It'd be a better use of resources than HD classics or PS2 classics. They wouldn't have to worry about games not working, etc.

Charge people a flat rate for PS1 access and another rate for PS2 access. Or just do it through PS+.

Top Bottom