• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gal*Gun: Double Peace Sells Over 100,000 Copies Worldwide

mankoto

When I joined Inti Creates back in September 2014, Gal*Gun Double Peace was still in development, with a summer 2015 release planned for Japan. Its predecessor, the original Gal*Gun which released on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 in 2011-2012, never got a western release. So before I got my grubby hands in there, Double Peace was planned to have the same fate of a Japan-only release.

I figured that the people who cared about this game would be following the Japanese release date, so I decided it would be a good time to test the waters to see if my firm belief that my fellow westerners really DID love games like Gal*Gun held any water.

My dear, sweet Internet. Suffice to say, you did not disappoint. This little tweet that I just sent out on a whim spread like wildfire around the Internet. By the time I came into work the next day, this tweet had become our new champion in terms of views, impressions, and just about every other measurable category. Forums, message boards, and all kinds of websites both small and large were talking about it.

“I can’t believe Inti Creates is teasing Gal*Gun!”

“I never thought this day would come!”

“There really IS a god!”

“What the hell is wrong with these guys?”

With newfound data and concrete proof that what I’ve been saying this whole time wasn’t a bunch of malarkey, I presented this to my superiors and senpais. Discussions were had, and just a few days later, we decided that we were gonna do this! Gal*Gun: Double Peace was now officially coming to the west! Woo hoo!

You can read the rest of the blog post here. If you can handle how fanservice-y the game is, it's pretty fun to play. It's also on sale right now on Steam too. The game looks like it didn't sell all that well in Japan, so an overwhelmingly large portion of the sales seem to be from the west which is kind of interesting.

VexyWexy

It was featured prominently during Amazon's Black Friday deals week. I wonder how many sales that drummed up...

McNum

Gal*Gun is a perfect example of taking something really stupid and putting so much effort into it that it kind of works anyway. It's a lewd game, like really lewd, and the concept is flat out ridiculous. Also the skill shot, combo streak, and smart bomb mechanics are downright solid both for playing casually and for score runs.

That €80 DLC for X-Ray goggles is suspect, though. And yes, it does what you think.

bomblord1

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

Honestly didn't expect it to even hit that low of a number given its price and what it was.

Metzhara

I originally bought this game because I abhor overly sexualized titles, but purchase them in an attempt to understand the mindsets. (It makes me remarkably uncomfortable but usually makes for good commentary when I stream it to some friends.)
I also normally find that the games have really solid gameplay! A perfect example is Senran Kagura. Much like that game, this one surprised me at how fun it was. Outside of the "Am I genuinely looking at panties of underage girls?" moments, the cheeky humor and remarkably aware plot was actually quite enjoyable.
It ended up not being AS a creepfest as I suspected... though you will still have to wash some of the grime off. This may be acceptable to most.
The only real downside is the gameplay is fairly simple and may turn off most players who don't "get it".

If people could get over what they think is "creepy" about it, it is a fun game. I found it to be quite addicting when I played it, and found myself going back multiple times to get all the different endings, and trying to fill out the information of all the different girls.

CamHostage

"Fan servicey" is under selling it a bit there OP.

Yeah, I wish the game was just "fan-servicey" and cute, I could get behind a silly mobs-of-swooning-girls game. The perverted stuff though, the kind of stuff that gave it an M-rating, makes it hard to root for its success.

Good on a sex-oriented game on a major platform being a strong hit, I suppose, but I would have preferred things be a little more well-rounded, or something like that...

Moofers

I got it on Vita and found it to be pretty charming. Its too ridiculous and over the top for me to take it seriously and get all offended about. I'd like to see a version of this where the women are all college age or older and they try to make it a bit sexier or more scandalous. I think that could be interesting and fun. If I have one beef with the game its that some of the characters just look very young and I just don't really dig on that. I think I'm just too old to appreciate seeing some 15 year old's undies. Now if I were back in high school like I imagine the intended audience to be, that'd be a different story and it probably wouldn't bother me.

Sometimes I think about buying the PS4 version before it eventually gets hard to find, but I didn't love the game *that* much to double dip. It is one of those games that will be interesting to look back on some years down the road, and the Vita version doesn't support PSTV, so maybe I'll end up with another copy afterall, but I also think that maybe if I were that serious about it I'd have just done it already. Definitely one of gaming's anomalies though.

yaffi

Had a lot of fun with it. Too bad I only rented the game and couldn't quite play as much as I wanted. But I'm pretty sure I'll buy it if I can find a relatively cheap copy.

bomblord1

Banned
guess they didn't need those New Zealand sales after all

This is worth reading
http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/GalGun-Decision.pdf

The game's lack of difficulty means that this content is available to even unskilled players and further supports the idea that the intention of this game is for the titillation and arousal of the viewer, rather than for any interest in gameplay mastery. It is therefore likely not only to attract people with a prurient interest in young persons, but also to reinforcethe belief that a sexual interest in young persons is acceptable, which contributes to their sexual exploitation in wider society

xRaizen

Good, hopefully this means we'll get more releases here in NA.

Bought the game when it came out but haven't had the time to play it yet.

Top Bottom