• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

Nothus

While they don't disappear on death, the chances of you getting the same set of upgrades (or even a half decent set) in the shop after your death are slim.

Also, salvage is reset on death, you only get salvage after death by cashing in crash coins.

Just a quick question on the salvage issue. If you finish a season and go straight into the next one, then Crash gives you some salvage for any coins you may carry over, correct?
But unless I'm mistaken if I decided to start a new run of, say, Season 2, then I would start on zero salvage and not have any coins to give to Crash? Is this correct?

At what point does the game auto save for you? Because wouldn't it be better to take a save at the start of a season after crash has given you some salvage, and then if you happen to die at any point during the season just reload your original save and get your salvage back?

danowat

Banned
Just a quick question on the salvage issue. If you finish a season and go straight into the next one, then Crash gives you some salvage for any coins you may carry over, correct?
But unless I'm mistaken if I decided to start a new run of, say, Season 2, then I would start on zero salvage and not have any coins to give to Crash? Is this correct?

At what point does the game auto save for you? Because wouldn't it be better to take a save at the start of a season after crash has given you some salvage, and then if you happen to die at any point during the season just reload your original save and get your salvage back?

Correct, salvage resets, but you cash in any coins on starting the new season.

Correct, can make the second run at a new season VERY tough.

I'd imagine the game saves when you die, thus overwriting the other save.

jon_dojah

Banned
I actually really love this on Vita remote play. It looks beautiful of course on the oled. I get a eensy bit of lag when playing at my parents house which is about a couple miles from house. The real test will be when I leave for vacation and try on my hotel wifi from NYC to CA. Anyone have coast to coast experience using remote play?

Kensuke

I feel the game definitely has a problem with replay value, which is supposed to be one of the strengths of a roguelike. Once I finish season 4 it's very likely I'll shelf it until season 5 comes out. The procedural missions are not different or unique enough.

Shame, because the core gameplay is so good. This game would have greatly benefited from some Spelunky-like secrets and a full trophy list that makes you play the game in different ways.

SerTapTap

I haven't beaten the game yet so I could be wrong, but yeah I don't really see the game having the play value of a roguelike at all, I don't really see why I'd keep playing after Season 5 is released and I beat it. The levels ARE proc gen, but it's no Binding of Isaac each run is crazy different situation.

Yeah, there's the upgrades, but you rarely get the interesting ship upgrades and most of the laser changes are somewhat minor (also, I constantly get the same set of 5 or so). Not really comperable to Mom's Knife vs Brimstone Tammy's Head vs Soy Milk + Guppy etc. I never really feel I'm changing play styles significantly based on upgrades. The only ones that would make me change my playstyle are the spread shot style guns that fire too slow but I just don't use those.

Zocano

I haven't beaten the game yet so I could be wrong, but yeah I don't really see the game having the play value of a roguelike at all, I don't really see why I'd keep playing after Season 5 is released and I beat it. The levels ARE proc gen, but it's no Binding of Isaac each run is crazy different situation.

Yeah, there's the upgrades, but you rarely get the interesting ship upgrades and most of the laser changes are somewhat minor (also, I constantly get the same set of 5 or so). Not really comperable to Mom's Knife vs Brimstone Tammy's Head vs Soy Milk + Guppy etc. I never really feel I'm changing play styles significantly based on upgrades. The only ones that would make me change my playstyle are the spread shot style guns that fire too slow but I just don't use those.

I sorta wanna say it'd be better off if it was tightly structured

ooor

they had a Palace-Z and you could just have a straight up combat slog.

SerTapTap

An Arena mode could be interesting. Just toss in waves of random enemies and hazards and give a random upgrade or two at the end of each. I wished Transistor had that because I was out of content but wanted more of the combat.

Zocano

If feel like the season structure they were aiming for only works if there is a huge branching season structure (think planets from Star Fox). And then you just have one life and have to start back at Season 1 all over again on death. The difficult curve would have to be heavily adjusted but that would have made the game feel meatier content-wise.

edit: Cause right now, like I said a few posts back, there really is no reason to play Seasons 1-3 if it's really all about the combat because you want to be at a point where you are challenged the most so playing Season 4 is the only option for replayability.

baconcow

Ok so I played this game for a little bit last night and I don't get how the seasons and levels work. I beat 1-1 and saved it there (I think? It doesn't even tell you)
If I lose all my shields and health and lives say at 1-3 . Will I go all the way back to 1-1 and lose every upgrade and all money too?

If that's the case then no thanks. I don't have time to repeat levels I've already beaten it's 2015. Gonna just let this one go. Shame as it seemed like a nice game otherwise but this design completely ruins the whole game for me.

Did you avoid all videos and information before buying this? The concept of death and restarting is quite openly discussed.

bender

What time is it?
If feel like the season structure they were aiming for only works if there is a huge branching season structure (think planets from Star Fox). And then you just have one life and have to start back at Season 1 all over again on death. The difficult curve would have to be heavily adjusted but that would have made the game feel meatier content-wise.

I wonder if the developers had issues balancing the game's difficulty and if that's what led to the decision to reset progress between chapters. The more I play the game, the less I'm enjoying my time with it which is sad because the moment to moment game play is wonderful.

Erekiddo

The season aspect of this confuses me.

Are all levels/seasons included in this from the beginning? No additional seasons being rolled out via DLC or anything, right?

bender

What time is it?

Are all levels/seasons included in this from the beginning? No additional seasons being rolled out via DLC or anything, right?

Season 5 is coming later with the release of the PC version.

Teknoman

Ok so I played this game for a little bit last night and I don't get how the seasons and levels work. I beat 1-1 and saved it there (I think? It doesn't even tell you)
If I lose all my shields and health and lives say at 1-3 . Will I go all the way back to 1-1 and lose every upgrade and all money too?

If that's the case then no thanks. I don't have time to repeat levels I've already beaten it's 2015. Gonna just let this one go. Shame as it seemed like a nice game otherwise but this design completely ruins the whole game for me.

Its probably not that long, and its kinda arcade like anyway. You haven't played any old school style games recently that have a set amount of lives or continues?

SerTapTap

Season = "world", episode = "level". It's because of the 80s anime theme. It would make more sense if there were more cutscene bookends so the episodes felt like episodes.

coincidentally season 5 is unfinished and will be free DLC but it's not an "episodic game"

Its probably not that long, and its kinda arcade like anyway. You haven't played any old school style games recently that have a set amount of lives or continues?

The way the game works is basically arcade, except you can choose which world you start at. And mid-season you can earn Crash Coins good for up to two retries at a level.

Don't worry too much, just remember death matters, and don't quit unless you're at the "start level" screen aboard the big ship.

AEREC

The patch can't come soon enough, assuming it actually does bring optimizations. The game is a lot of fun but the framerate dips and random hitching (pauses for a second or two) are really annoying.

I'm surprised it was released in this state. Also surprised it doesn't run at a perfect 60fps on the PS4 HW.

SerTapTap

Performance problems can bring any system to their knees. Give me a few minutes and I could probably write something bad enough to bring an Azure server to it's knees. Optimization is often more about code than HW. Hope they do fix it of course, I've taken damage because of hitching. That is...not fun.

Season 4 is hard as F! Attack you cant juke and guys you cant outrun even with boosts. JEESHH.

Think you really need the Mech in season 4 else you wont survive

SerTapTap

I have noticed there are a few Mech enemy types that you don't seem to be able to outrun (at least with stock boosters), strategies for those? Duke it out in the mech and shield a lot I guess?

I have noticed there are a few Mech enemy types that you don't seem to be able to outrun (at least with stock boosters), strategies for those? Duke it out in the mech and shield a lot I guess?

You can use hit-and-run tactics with the fighter as well. When they dash toward you for a sword swing, don't forget to juke.

Consider each season as one level where you get a break between missions to save your progress and make adjustments

Teknoman

Season = "world", episode = "level". It's because of the 80s anime theme. It would make more sense if there were more cutscene bookends so the episodes felt like episodes.

coincidentally season 5 is unfinished and will be free DLC but it's not an "episodic game"

The way the game works is basically arcade, except you can choose which world you start at. And mid-season you can earn Crash Coins good for up to two retries at a level.

Don't worry too much, just remember death matters, and don't quit unless you're at the "start level" screen aboard the big ship.

Yeah I'm not arcade mechanic adverse or anything, actually enjoying the game (plus I've really gotten into roguelikes lately) but I just find it strange that people are thrown off my classic mechanics like that.

antitrop

Performance in the 4th Season is noticeably worse than the previous ones. Really doesn't facilitate the jump in difficulty.

jkooXL

Hey guys I'm on 1-5 fighting white tusk and have run into what seems to be a bug where I can't damage tusk, has anyone else run into this?

Anyone who has seen the White Tusk bug where you can't damage him, we're trying to piece together clues as we've never seen it. Does he seem to take damage for a while and then just not die or does he take no damage ever?

S1kkZ

Performance in the 4th Season is noticeably worse than the previous ones. Really doesn't facilitate the jump in difficulty.

ugh,i feel the performance already took a huge hit in season 2. i hope they sort it out or lock it to 30 fps (with difficulty adjustments).

SerTapTap

It's probably due to the higher enemy counts and the extra projectiles/explosions/AI they bring. So it's natural, but still the worst possible timing. I never have hitching outside of battle for instance.

S1kkZ

I never have hitching outside of battle for instance.

wow, really? since season 2 i have constant stuttering (with no enemies) and massive drops in combat. sometimes the game just straight up freezes (not for a split second, more like 2-3 seconds...).

SerTapTap

Huh, I don't usually get it that bad, though I've had multiple hitches in a single firefight. Probably depends greatly on level though. I don't really want to finish seasons 3-4 until it's fixed.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm waiting for the patch right now. The drops got real bad last night for me.

I really wish there was save or bookmark after every episode. I haven't been able to progress at all because I have been playing this in 30 minute sessions on lunch here at work.

antitrop

It autosaves everytime you return to the main ship after an episode.

I quit in the middle of a Season thinking this was a case and it dropped me back to the Season select menu the next time I booted up the game.

Suspend/Resume is useful here, though.

Fisty

I quit in the middle of a Season thinking this was a case and it dropped me back to the Season select menu the next time I booted up the game.

... uh oh i better check my save then lol

I think the dev previously mentioned something about a progress-wiping bug, may have something to do with that

It autosaves everytime you return to the main ship after an episode.

Nope. Only saves your progress after you complete an entire season.

Edit: oops, looks like you have to quit in between episodes to keep your season progress.

Not my PS4. Belongs to the office. Most of the time it's a FIFAStation.

jkooXL

Geez, is there some way to stop the hitching? It's gotten me killed once.

The weird hitching bug (not related to framerate) is a weird bug that we'll be addressing for next week's patch, but you can instantly rectify it for now by just pausing the game or looking at the map, even for just a moment.

SerTapTap

Wish it were more like Binding of Isaac, and it doesn't have Cross Save to abuse, to my knowledge BOI isn't exploitable without that trick. Saves constantly, will return you to the same room, same health with all enemies respawned if you attempt to save scum. Prevents savescumming while preserving progress. Sometimes if you crash you still lose more, but quitting mid-game and resuming (with no advantages) is still totally possible.

The weird hitching bug (not related to framerate) is a weird bug that we'll be addressing for next week's patch, but you can instantly rectify it for now by just pausing the game or looking at the map, even for just a moment.

Huh I check the map a lot to be sure I'm not missing anything so maybe that's why it doesn't usually do it. Good to know. And it's always the stupidest stuff that's broken.

naib

I too was expecting more of a Luftrousers type control wherin you just have clockwise and counterclockwise movement.

But now that I've finally got to spend some time with it I realize how important it is to be able to immediately pick direction before thrusting.

Haven't played the game much but loving it so far. My new crack.

Tohsaka

If you really wanted to, you could quit the game every time you finish an episode and back up your save to the cloud or a USB drive, so you'd never lose any progress upon death.

while the game tells you once in the beginning, nothing in the game communicates to the player how or when progress is saved so I can understand why there is confusion

If you really wanted to, you could quit the game every time you finish an episode and back up your save to the cloud or a USB drive, so you'd never lose any progress upon death.

I wish I had not read this as I have yet to complete Season 1 and will be forever tempted to do this now.

jon_dojah

Banned
I got my PS4 remote play running Galak-Z on my Galaxy S6 with Dualshock 4 today after getting frustrated with using the Vita touchpad for forward/reverse (OLED so no L2/R2 grips that I'm aware of). Amazing how beautiful it looks on the 1440p screen and with very minimal input lag.

Whats ironic is how mad I was when 17-Bit cancelled the Vita version because thats the one I wanted since I found out about it in 2013. With the PS4 often chugging the framerate on Vita would probably have been even worse as well as controls being gimped from PS4/PC. So I was mad for nothing and the setup I have now is better in many ways than what Galak-Z would have been natively running on Vita. With my unlimited 4G plan I can also play it anywhere.

SerTapTap

After getting +1 saber damage and +100% charge slash damage my opinion of the mech has greatly improved. It is still responsible for like half of my lost Shield Overcharge upgrades though.

Tricking enemy ships into firing on their buddies in close quarters is SO satisfying.

The way the game balances pellet damage is really clever. The "buckshot" many shots at once thing can only hurt once total to keep it from being overpowered, but the two shot can hit twice since it's so much more limited

SerTapTap

Damn, season 3 boss fight is tence. Really interesting way to set up a boss. MAde way tenser by having to do a recovery mission first, basically makes it a stealth mission

barit

Great game. Like it so far. But damn it can get so freakin chaotic sometimes and it's hard. At least with every try I get a little better. Only at episode 2 now but the mech already kicks some asses lol

Oh and yeah performance could be smoother. Some nasty framedrops if too much shit happens ;(

Had my first crash after beating 3-1. I guess it's better than 3-5, but losing that 10 token scrap boost from season 2 really sucks.

sagat2036

Just finished this myself and iam disappointed.

Last boss slow down and full on pause was unacceptable.

Not enough variety in power up to make it fun, but if you get the right power up its cake.

Just buy speed and your good against everything.

Dont feel like playin anymore.

Glad i preordered for discount.

Kensuke

Finished season 4, I actually had a hard time with this one. Tried to fight too many enemies I guess. Once I got big shot and freeze core I pretty much cheesed it though. Fun stuff, can't wait for season 5.

Top Bottom