• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Note 4 is a productivity beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
*coughs*

In fact I'm actually frustrated with how limited the multitasking tools are on Note 2.

I pray to God any app are supported on my next upgrade and not just a select few phone manufacturer created apps.

I have a Note 2 and while I like the phone, I had to upgrade to Surface Pro 3 to get any real work done. The screen area of the Note 2 and similar phones just isn't big enough. That said, I will be upgrading to Note 4 or 5 next year, as my Note 2 is now three years old and beginning to show its age.

Samsung UI is just bad. Good ideas, poor execution

What could they do better? The thing about Android phones is that if you don't want to use Touchwiz on a Samsung phone, you don't have to. I have an S4 for over a year and I've had no problems.

I think Samsung says you can have up to 16 apps to demonstrate the power of the Note 4. No one will actually have 16 damn apps on the screen at once. Are there any other phones that have multiple apps on one screen at once besides Note/Galaxy series?

I actually think Touchwiz looks nice and adds tons of great features. I also don't see any lag in that multitasking apps gif, it's just that the app window doesn't live scale so it's not 100% elegant.

I'd get a Note 4 over an iPhone 6+ as they seem to know what the bigger screen should be able to do vs just making a bigger screen.

Loxley

Funny, I was watching all of these videos earlier this morning. The Note 4 looks like it will indeed be my next phone, my ol' Galaxy S3 has served me well, but it's on its way out and I think I'm ready for a bigger screen. Looks like it'll be a worthwhile upgrade, especially jumping from a 720p display to quad-HD. Going from an 8mp camera to 16mp will also be a welcome improvement.

Allforce

Funny, I was watching all of these videos earlier this morning. The Note 4 looks like it will indeed be my next phone, my ol' Galaxy S3 has served me well, but it's on its way out and I think I'm ready for a bigger screen. Looks like it'll be a worthwhile upgrade, especially jumping from a 720p display to quad-HD. Going from an 8mp camera to 16mp will also be a welcome improvement.

I'm in the same boat, my S3 is great but I'm due for an upgrade, so I'm gonna jump on the Note 4. I read a rumor back in June that the price is 299.99 on contract with a Galaxy Gear 2 bundled in as well, but I don't know how rock solid that is. Would be an amazing way to push their smartwatch since they're going to get crushed by Apple in that space soon enough.

*coughs*

In fact I'm actually frustrated with how limited the multitasking tools are on Note 2.

I pray to God any app are supported on my next upgrade and not just a select few phone manufacturer created apps.
They'll never do that. Never. Ever. No way they can test how every app ever works with multi window. App developers can opt in to allowing their app to work with it and some do.

You can get any app to work if you root...

VeeP

Man, that looks pretty cool. Has me kinda excited to think how 5 years ago we had the iPhone 3GS and Droid, and now we have phones like this & amazing software on the go.

Samsung UI is fine. I never got the Touchwiz complaints. Before the Google Now launcher was released, Touchwiz was my go to.

That's your opinion. This is mine. Touchwiz is an albatross and those transitions are awful.

What could they do better? The thing about Android phones is that if you don't want to use Touchwiz on a Samsung phone, you don't have to. I have an S4 for over a year and I've had no problems.

I think Samsung says you can have up to 16 apps to demonstrate the power of the Note 4. No one will actually have 16 damn apps on the screen at once. Are there any other phones that have multiple apps on one screen at once besides Note/Galaxy series?

I own a rooted M7 and have installed everything from Maximus HD Sense to PA/CM11 roms. You don't need to educate me about the power of Android or the ability to go AOSP/custom.

Touchwiz execution just isn't aesthetically appealing to me. The transitions are jarring in those gifs.

i think the Note 4 as far as specs and features is a fantastic device, I just think the UI and its fluidity needs refinement.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You'll just browse facebook with it.

While I don't use Facebook much, the amount of things I want to do on my phone is very limited. All of this stuff sounds awesome, and I bet if I were a super-busy always-on-the-go business man, it would be the phone for me. But as it is, I almost always have a PC available when I need it, so the desire to take notes or otherwise be "productive" on my phone just isn't there.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
mFm9CgD.gif

Imagine this x16.

That looks freaking terrible, and it's only 4 windows.

I can't imagine how bad it looks with 16 windows.

That's your opinion. This is mine. Touchwiz is an albatross and those transitions are awful.

I own a rooted M7 and have installed everything from Maximus HD Sense to PA/CM11 roms. You don't need to educate me about the power of Android or the ability to go AOSP/custom.

Touchwiz execution just isn't aesthetically appealing to me. The transitions are jarring in those gifs.

i think the Note 4 as far as specs and features is a fantastic device, I just think the UI and its fluidity needs refinement.

The issue for Samsung is they have sold a couple hundred million devices which have this UI and so they are kind of shackled to it now. People expect Touchwiz to look the way it looks, much like Apple and the appearance of iOS.

The issue for Samsung is they have sold a couple hundred million devices which have this UI and so they are kind of shackled to it now. People expect Touchwiz to look the way it looks, much like Apple and the appearance of iOS.

I think people are more shackled to the features than the aesthetics of the UI.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Is the Note 4 a viable alternative for an upgrade from a Galaxy S3 instead of the S5? I don't technically need any of the additional functionality of a phablet, but... what if I do need it someday?

I post on NeoGAF with my phone too.

PhoneGAF here, too. I miss the features and typing ability of a computer 90% of the time, but my phone is always right there and my laptop isn't, and when it is it's not worth it to fire up my laptop just so I can make a single post.

Wiktor

Is the Note 4 a viable alternative for an upgrade from a Galaxy S3 instead of the S5? I don't technically need any of the additional functionality of a phablet, but... what if I do need it someday?

There isn't really a huge difference size-wise between those two. if you already are going big, go for Note 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom