• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

Barrett2

My wife is *killing it* in this game. She has $250 million in the bank in year 13, asked me last night how to get a hardware engineer to make her own console. :lol

The last game she played was PvZ. This game has some amazing broad audience appeal.

Vinlaen

I'm really confused on strategy with this game...

I'd think that I want a Writer, Designer and Sound Engineer since those are what you choose for each element of the game.

However, you seem to lose (a lot) of points if you re-use the same people so does that mean I need two of each, or each person needs at least two jobs?

Also, how do the other jobs like Director and Producer factor in?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Vinlaen said:
However, you seem to lose (a lot) of points if you re-use the same people so does that mean I need two of each, or each person needs at least two jobs?

Coke those people up on some Dead Bulls and tell them to get fucking back to work.

Vinlaen said:
I'm really confused on strategy with this game...

I'd think that I want a Writer, Designer and Sound Engineer since those are what you choose for each element of the game.

Also, how do the other jobs like Director and Producer factor in?
The graphical and sound upgrades you do after you complete the alpha and beta versions of your game require certain jobs to do so, if you're planning on doing the job internally. As you may have noticed, some jobs have different affinities towards certain skills. I think producers and directors have the ability to be chosen in both the graphical and sound boosts whereas a sound engineer would only be picked for the audio.

And only one job per person, although the higher job classes pretty much become an all-in-one type deal (i.e. hacker). In the beginning, you'll want to outsource your audio and graphics every once in awhile until you expand your company.

On another note, GAF Gold finally got their first 40/40! Moneyhats ftw!

photo%20%282%29.PNG

And the last two on the review team for my dating/shooter game made me lulz:

photo%20%281%29.PNG

r4z4

Finally! Won myself the Grand Prize and then ended up winning it 3 years running! Still can't get any monster sales though, highest so far is around 40m and highest score is 39/40.

Question: Can you have more than one save/game at the same time? My girlfriend wants to play (her own game), but as far as I can tell, her starting a new game would erase mine.

JEKKI

man this game is lol. like a glorified Tamagotchee.

but dang I suck! Im in like year 13 and still cant afford a playstation license X_X

but I have a nice office tho!

Chris R

Mike Works said:
Question: Can you have more than one save/game at the same time? My girlfriend wants to play (her own game), but as far as I can tell, her starting a new game would erase mine.
You can have one auto save and one save button pressed save. Multiple save files should be patched in asap :(

cantona222

The game is fun in the beginning. Especially when new consoles are being released and you need to manage your money and choose what console to develop games on wisely. Then when you are rich and you can choose the most expensive "everything." The game becomes aimless.

BowieZ

Banned
Dang. Took "The New Office" Game Studios 37 years to win the fucking Global Game Awards Grand Prize, for "Chorus o' Bands" (sequel to "Chorus o' Stars") even though it only sold half as much as its predecessor! :lol

My most recent game titles/sales:

Pirasim 1080, 42,457,946
Detect/Direct, 56,559,288 (Online RPG + Spy)
Chorus o' Bands, 28,958,965 (Grand Prize)
Checkered Fate, 46,700,690
Harbor Anarchy, 56,528,056 (Action RPG + Harbor)
Naked Ambition, 26,731,098
Chorus o' Stars, 57,613,079 (Music + Popstar)
Leaders, 39,533,648
ROAR! SCORE!, 45,998,722
Bikini Keen!, 39,469,747
Detect/Dissect, 40,060,150
Lines Between, 39,667,092
Search Party, 30,475,801
Ivy League, 36,924,057
Harbor Grudge, 52,521,159
Checkered Line, 50,688,903
Fog Machine, 47,245,237
Pirasim Probe, 39,141,306
Yourjong,
Out-of-Towners
Blood Shower
Letter Rip!
Dock: Unloaded
F1 FTW
Fungus Pocus
Egyptia
Shroom'n Gloom

72 awards collectively.

Also developed five consoles: the Strobe, the Strobe Lite, the Probe, the Probation, and the Strobe 1080.

But yeah, definitely the end point of the game is winning the Grand Prize at the Global Game Awards! :D

Superfrog

I actually won the Grand Prize after around 19 years without ever achieving a 40/40 rating with a game. :lol

Also, I never found a hardware engineer in order to start developing my own console. I'm in year 21 and none of my games sold more than 31,000,000. I'm thinking of starting over now.

Chris R

Anyone have a link to when consoles come out? I just made it to year 7 and I'm actually doing good this play though :lol Already have a hall of fame game, but want my next game to be for a new console. I know the Super - NESish console should be out soon but I didn't write down the exact date it comes out.

What's the point of making a console?

I thought if I made a console, I would get the sale money from the console as well. If I did, it was such an insignificant amount that I didn't even notice it. Not only did I not get that, but I still had to pay money to develop for my own console.

Is it because I built a 64-bit console with a BD drive that I'm not making any money from the sales, or is it just because you aren't supposed to get money from the sales of a console?

Woo 33m for FinalyFantasy7 :D

I'm on a role with the franchise as 6 through 8 had won the Grand Prize. Though you could call FinalyFantasy8 bomba as it only sold 24m :(

TimeKillr

PhlivoSong said:
What's the point of making a console?

I thought if I made a console, I would get the sale money from the console as well. If I did, it was such an insignificant amount that I didn't even notice it. Not only did I not get that, but I still had to pay money to develop for my own console.

Is it because I built a 64-bit console with a BD drive that I'm not making any money from the sales, or is it just because you aren't supposed to get money from the sales of a console?

When you make a console you get a free license, plus the more power your inject into it the more market share it'll have, meaning that you stand to make MUCH more money when developing for it.

In year 13 now, I'm at 500 million in the bank, made my console in year 9, most of my employees are hackers... It's getting ridiculous. :) Hell, my 64bit BD console was competing with the poor little Super IES :)

All I do now is alternate between 2 combos of level 5 types (Animal/Life and Action/Ninja), both are "Amazing" combos, averaging 50mil sales per game, with 38/39 review scores every time. Even Lunar Writing doesn't give me fans anymore. :) I also have both the bear and the monkey workers.... :)

The only "problem" is that my annual salary is nearing 80 million... but I make so much more that it doesn't matter much.

Made my own console, the Nu-ray which was market leader with nearly 20m sales, until the GameJohn launched :lol

Launched with it's own killer app, FinalyFantasyX with over 10m first week sales and lifetime sales of 58.7m (everyone really did buy 3 copies of it :lol )

Got that Kairobot dude working for me now too.

why the hell is there only one save slot why why why why why

i lost Mike Works Inc because my girlfriend wanted to try the game

i got her addicted and now she's pissed that Mike Works Inc has made a triumphant resurgence and, in the process, murdered her own game development studio

SAVE SLOTS, DEVELOPER!

cantona222

Hell Yeah

nmc5ck.jpg

After achieving:
a review Score of: 40/40
# of units sold for my developed console: 18 M
# of units sold for my highest selling Game: 32 M
# of games that sold 10M+: 8 games
# of games that won trophies: 27 (never won Worst Game Award )
# of games that won the Grand Prize Trophy: 3 games

All that in Year 19
I think now I'm done with the game :D

Firestorm

Fuck Intendro :( Just bought my first super expensive IES license, finished one game (which the critics hated) and now they announce a new console! So much money ;_;

Interfectum

I think I "beat" the game finally...

my ending stats (over 20 years):

Money in Bank: 1.2 billion
Highest selling game: Ninja DX7 (77 million copies)
Released 3 consoles: 12 million, 16 million and 22 million in sales respectively

Unlocked all special characters (i think)

But yeah, I think I'm pretty much done. :lol :lol

Interfectum

Shaneus said:
You haven't. Trust me.

Well, may have "beat" it, but you haven't seen everything in the game.

What else is there to see? Should i keep playing after the 20 year limit?

also, another achievement... from year 15 to 20, I got all 4 awards every year. :lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Love this game. It's run its course for me, but I definitely got some solid hours out of it.

gotee12 said:
That's pretty much the way I determine iPhone game ratings...

1* - "Tired of it and I haven't even dropped my pants yet".
2* - /plop /splash /bored of it
3* - "Done. Timed that one perfectly."
4* - "My feet are getting tingly."
5* - "Send help... and a charge cable... and a pizza."

Game Dev Story was definitely a 5*...

This is the truth

Tim-E

I just had a rough year and a half because after I finished a game, it brought me up to about $1.3 million, and while I was distracted with something else and not paying much attention to the game, I selected to hold an open house for hiring and it left me with $100k and no game under development so I had to spend a year and a half making PC shovelware and making video for pinball machines. :lol

Shaneus

Interfectum said:
What else is there to see? Should i keep playing after the 20 year limit?

also, another achievement... from year 15 to 20, I got all 4 awards every year. :lol
Few easter eggs here and there, ones that spring to mind are the types of consoles you can develop for. They only get unlocked after a certain duration, not money/awards earned.

Couple of snaps of my portfolio and achievements:

NOuaB.jpg
pI9qJ.jpg

What's everyone's best selling console? I'm nearly on 21m and market leader with my current. Shame you can't see an overall of how many games you've sold in total after year 20. I think I hit about 265 million back then. I'd surely be over a billion now.

I can usually churn out 4 games a year and always have a FinalFantasy title lined up for the big Xmas season, though alternating every year with maybe a sim type game. I think every one of my FinalFantasy games after 6 has gotten the Grand Prize bar 9. Though none of them have got the coverted 40 score yet.

Can someone please help me with this?I'm in year 20 and want to make a 40/40 game before I "finish". I have a hacker with 500+ scenario but it won't let me select her! It lets me pick from 12 people, 6 of my employees and 6 outsiders but it won't let me pick her (or some other employee of mine but I don't care about him). Have tried rearranging seats, waiting till people before her leave the building before trying to start, even firing people (although this won't work cause for some reason I can't rehire them, and I really need them). Please someone help me, I want Last Fantasy 4 to be a 40/40!!

Note: Already won Game Of The Year with Prof. Phoenix 4 though, even though it only got 38! :D

BowieZ

Banned
New best selling game is 86.667M units :lol

Also, is it just me or is there no Platformer game type? I *think* I've unlocked every game type but I'm not sure. How many are there total?

EDIT: the 74 game-types I've unlocked are:

Sports
Exploration
Martial Arts
Fantasy
Virtual Pet
Samurai
Dungeon
Romance
Pirate
Comedy
Horror
Word
Train
Animal
Robot
Airplane
Convenience Store
Historical
Bookstore
Comics
Art
Movies
Game Company (lol)
Egypt
Town
Architecture
Medieval
Monster
Hunting
High School
War
Ninja
Cutie
Ogre
Fashion
Detective
Mystery
Cowboy
Horseshoes (wtf?)
President
Cartoon
Cosplay
Pop Star
Swimsuit
Mini-skirt
Mushroom
Poncho
Chess
Mahjong
Reversi
Dance
Drums
Fitness
Wrestling
Basketball
Skiing
Snowboard
Golf
Swimming
Volleyball
Motorsport
Soccer
Ping Pong
Baseball
Wrestling (a second one??)
Marathon
F1 Racing
Pinball
Slots
Dating
Harbor
Time Travel
Spy
Celebrity

EDIT 2: Just unlocked Sumo and Lawyer and apparently there's 80 in total but no Platformer. Others are: Junior High, Checkers, Stocks (#2), Comics (#2).

Holy wow!

I can't get over 58m

How many consoles have you sold to get that? And what's your strategy?

Is it best to start a sceond play through? I'm not unlocking anymore genres.

BowieZ

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
Holy wow!

I can't get over 58m

How many consoles have you sold to get that? And what's your strategy?

Is it best to start a sceond play through? I'm not unlocking anymore genres.
Yeah, I'm in my 62nd year of my 3rd playthough (first two plays went to 20 years). :lol :lol

don't judge me, game is like crack

I'm determined to have a game sell over 100m copies.

I'm on my 16th console. I'm about to develop the highest quality console available:
not 64 bit chip home console by the way ;)

The trick is just keep churning out games, training staff, switching their careers, leveling up, unlocking game types, developing sequels, using boosts... in other words, use the game to its fullest potential.

heringer

How can I name my games? My games are named "Game #1", "Game #2", etc.

Also, how can I upgrade the number of staff members?

elektrixx

Banned
I'm done with this game. I just don't get, and never have. It's year 16 and I only have $13,587.0K. I can't afford another license, so I've been making nothing but Game Kid games. As soon as I can to afford to develop on something, it's an outdated console and a waste of money. My Dead Bulls dont work; I see employees go on fire immediately after using the item.

I've wasted so much time.

Blablurn

elektrixx said:
I'm done with this game. I just don't get, and never have. It's year 16 and I only have $13,587.0K. I can't afford another license, so I've been making nothing but Game Kid games. As soon as I can to afford to develop on something, it's an outdated console and a waste of money. My Dead Bulls dont work; I see employees go on fire immediately after using the item.

I've wasted so much time.

gafsig1.png

Kozak

Banned
I hate it when the best game I think I ever created gets only a 37 and then a game I rush to get out before christmas gets fucking 40 :lol

Top Bottom